OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Turbo CD setup.

Started by Tupin, 04/19/2010, 11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tupin

Okay, I want to evaluate my options before I do anything. I have an American TG-16, unmodded.

I could get a stand alone CD system, but they are expensive, hard to find, and easily broken. If I were to find one for like $20 even if it were broken, would it be worth it?

Obviously there are DUO, DUO-R and DUO-RXs, but I want to see about the normal CD system since it looks cool.

TheClash603

Duo is the better option, because you will need to spend $100 for the 3.0 system card with the CD system, so the total package will cost more than a Duo.

Although I have been thinking of getting a normal CD for a while now...

turbogrfxfan

I dunno I love my tgcd system.  I would say its more expensive when its all said and done if you consider the system, card and converter. You can find arcade cards for around 40 bucks though.  I am always afraid that any day its going to break cause I had it for 19 years.  Im actually going to get a duo cause its more practical.  I think that if you want something more dependable get a duo.  I could be 100%wrong but I will regret not getting a duo if my tgcd dies
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Arkhan Asylum

well, a broken CD-ROM unit isn't worth it, lol.   Repairing/fixing it results in $$$ spent, and pains in the ass.

If you can find a working CD-ROM + interface unit for <100$, it would be worth buying if you reallllly like its look.  That is why I got one.  It was like 200$ but it came with the breifcase, the TG-16, and the CD-ROM stuff...... so I sold the spare TG-16.  This was like, 6 or 7 years ago. 

Region mod the TG-16, get cheap ass Japanese Sys3 and Arcade Card........ success!

But, one day I know my CDROM is going to croak, and that is what the Duo-R is for.

If you are short on cash, hold off on any TG-16 CD solutions and get the Duo-R....or RX

You want practical and reliable solutions before "but it looks cool!" solutions :D

If you have the cash for both, then screw it, get both!

Then get a japanese briefcase setup also :)
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

edamame

I recently acquired a TG-16 with CD setup with only a System 2.0 card, so I've been trying to decide between:

a) shelling out for a US 3.0 card
b) getting a region mod done and getting the Arcade Card Pro
c) saving up for a Duo-R
d) getting a PC engine (would this work with the US Turbo CD?

Any recommendations here?

turbogrfxfan

Just get a duo. If you choose the tg16  get the mod.  I use a converter and its a pain in the ass.  I have to jiggle it every time I swap a card.  Its a pain in the butt!  Im going to actually end up getting a duo.
"Is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

kattare

Quote from: edamame on 04/21/2010, 01:05 PMa) shelling out for a US 3.0 card
c) saving up for a Duo-R

I'd go with: Region mod + Arcade Card Pro

It's the cheapest option, and you get to play JP Arcade & Hu games to boot.  My estimate would be $60 - $80 for the mod and ~$30 for the Arcade card.

Ignoring cost, a region modded Duo-R is prolly the best setup long term.

If you're not too keen on hacking the case up with a region mod, a Kisado Converter + Arcade Card Pro is still cheaper than a US 3.0 Card usually, and the converter can be had for $90 - $150 when they crop up.
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: edamame on 04/21/2010, 01:05 PMI recently acquired a TG-16 with CD setup with only a System 2.0 card, so I've been trying to decide between:

c) saving up for a Duo-R

get the mod and see how long the CD-ROM unit lasts while using ACP and CD games.....

if it takes a huge dump, cry a little, and get a duo-r!

the US Sys3 card is a waste of cash.  It's worthless.  The only difference between it and the JP one are some flipped frigging pins.  hardly worth the massive pricetag.   If you can mod it yourself, do it, otherwise it is def. worth it to get it modded.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

termis

Quote from: edamame on 04/21/2010, 01:05 PMI recently acquired a TG-16 with CD setup with only a System 2.0 card, so I've been trying to decide between:

c) saving up for a Duo-R

I also vote b, maybe c.

a) is useless.  That still leaves you short of playing ACD games, which isn't a huge deal, but the cost Arcade Card Pro + mod is on par/cheaper (depending on how you go about doing the mod) than the US 3.0 card.
b) If you're handy with a soldering iron, definitely this option.  And still a considerable option even if you pay someone to do it.
c) This is good too.  I'd still get it modded because I like to be able to play all cards on one system rather than using multiple units, but that's your choice.
d) Nah, the PC engine does not work with the TGCD.  The shape of the interface unit connector doesn't match IIRC.

Arkhan Asylum

lol what if you buy the neoflash PCE card

can you put sys3 on it and use that as a ghetto system card? :D

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 04/29/2010, 12:40 PMlol what if you buy the neoflash PCE card

can you put sys3 on it and use that as a ghetto system card? :D
Yes and no.  It can be used as a PCE Super System Card on a US Duo (and vice-versa), but it lacks the extra RAM required to be used as a Super System Card on a TG-CD or briefcase setup.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Ceti Alpha

As awesome as the Turbo Duo US is (I have one), I recommend getting a DuoR. Just far less chances of something going wrong. You could region mod it or just buy a Turbografx for playing hueys.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Obfuscate

Quote from: ceti alpha on 04/29/2010, 03:00 PMAs awesome as the Turbo Duo US is (I have one), I recommend getting a DuoR. Just far less chances of something going wrong. You could region mod it or just buy a Turbografx for playing hueys.
Yes, I have my Turboduo from when I was a kid. When I signed up for this site it was to try to find info on getting mine fixed. I needed a new laser {or at least adjusted} and a total cap replacement to get her working again. Add in that I wanted it region modded it ended up beeing about the same price as buying a region modded Duo-R which I ended up buying instead of fixing my Duo. Now my original Duo sits on display while my Duo-R is what I use to play the games.