10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Get me hyped up for Raiden!

Started by Mathius, 09/04/2010, 01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathius

I have Raiden in the mail on its way to my Turbo slot, and I want to know how you guys feel about this classic shooter. Honestly, the only Raiden game I ever owned was the Jag version and I must of didn't "get it" back then. And I have never even seen an arcade version that made the game famous in my life! :oops: In your opinions how does the Turbografx version stack up to the other console ports?

Turbo D

I like the Turbo version a hell of a lot better than the Jag version. The Jag version has an annoying sidebar that kills the mood as well as a controller that takes away from the experience. The Turbo version on the other hand is the opposite: Awesome controls and no annoying sidebar; it really does feel like the arcade. I love when I press run and am greeted with the awesome level one music in TurboGrafx-16 PSG; It doesn't get any better than that. I've taken my copy on the toilet with a TurboExpress on many occasions! I guarantee that you will be satisfied with your purchase of Raiden for the TurboGrafx-16. 8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Mathius

Sweet! :) Thanks Turbo D! It can't get here soon enough now.

nat

Raiden on the Turbo is good.... if you like Raiden. Personally, I find it to be a dated, unexciting shooter that shows its age.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Arkhan Asylum

GO GO GO SHOOT EVERYTHING. DONT STOP TIL YOU WIN.  EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE, BULLETS AND DOOM. GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO MMMMMMMM

YOU HYPED?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Liquid Snake

You should get Super Raiden SCD instead..............redbook audio and extra level......
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 09/04/2010, 02:21 AMRaiden on the Turbo is good.... if you like Raiden. Personally, I find it to be a dated, unexciting shooter that shows its age.
I like shooters way more than I did when I was growing up, so Raiden hopefully will be a cool game for me.

Quote from: Liquid Snake on 09/04/2010, 10:27 AMYou should get Super Raiden SCD instead..............redbook audio and extra level......
I will pick that up if I end up enjoying the chip version.

@Arkhan
Thanks Ark, your posts are always entertaining. :)

Tatsujin

As I already said in the other thread, the PCE raiden can hold up very well to the arcade version in terms of graphics and sound and it even outruns its playability (faster and more dynamics). the best port within the 16-bit era with a landslide. shit on the super nes raiden trad or the MDs raiden fraud. the pce showed of how it has do be!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Mathius

Quote from: Tatsujin on 09/04/2010, 12:03 PMAs I already said in the other thread, the PCE raiden can hold up very well to the arcade version in terms of graphics and sound and it even outruns its playability (faster and more dynamics). the best port within the 16-bit era with a landslide. shit on the super nes raiden trad or the MDs raiden fraud. the pce showed of how it has do be!
Which thread was that? :-k

DesmondThe3rd

Raiden for the Tg-16 is awesome and nearly arcade perfect too minus the lack of two player mode and parallax scrolling. The game is hard though especially in the later stages where enemies merciless.

Mathius

Quote from: DesmondThe3rd on 09/04/2010, 07:54 PMRaiden for the Tg-16 is awesome and nearly arcade perfect too minus the lack of two player mode and parallax scrolling. The game is hard though especially in the later stages where enemies merciless.
I just got the game today and played some after work. Hell yeah it's hard! I can't even make it past the second stage. It reminds me of Gradius in that your fucked if you die and lose all your power-ups! ](*,)

Turbo D

I'll give you some tips to get you through the first 2 levels. One great tip is that there is a hidden fairy in level one. There is a bush on the right side of the screen immediately before the stream. Shoot this bush to rescue the fairy. When you die, the fairy will grant you some of your power-ups back. I'm sure there are hidden fairies in the other levels, but I haven't found them. As far as the bosses go, I use the blue laser on the level one boss and the machine gun on the level two boss. This makes your job a lot easier. For the level one boss, get real close to him while blasting your laser before he is fully rendered on the screen; this should obliterate him before he even gets to fire on you. The level two boss just requires some fancy bullet/kamikaze plane dodging along with a large spread machine gun. There is not much advice I can give you for the latter levels; they start to get hard starting with the level three boss, who is a chore to beat. With a little practice, you'll find yourself progressing further and further into the game. good luck!
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: turbo D on 09/05/2010, 01:01 AMI'll give you some tips to get you through the first 2 levels. One great tip is that there is a hidden fairy in level one. There is a bush on the right side of the screen immediately before the stream. Shoot this bush to rescue the fairy. When you die, the fairy will grant you some of your power-ups back. I'm sure there are hidden fairies in the other levels, but I haven't found them. As far as the bosses go, I use the blue laser on the level one boss and the machine gun on the level two boss. This makes your job a lot easier. For the level one boss, get real close to him while blasting your laser before he is fully rendered on the screen; this should obliterate him before he even gets to fire on you. The level two boss just requires some fancy bullet/kamikaze plane dodging along with a large spread machine gun. There is not much advice I can give you for the latter levels; they start to get hard starting with the level three boss, who is a chore to beat. With a little practice, you'll find yourself progressing further and further into the game. good luck!
Cool! Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for that fairy. I actually have been using your suggestion already on the level one boss except I was using the machine gun instead. I'll try it your way. :wink: Thanks again Turbo-D.

NecroPhile

Would reading the Raiden Strategy Guide from TurboPlay magazine get you pumped?  :D
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

futurematt

I have both the HuCard and Super CD ROM versions, both are excellent, recently I made it it level 5 in what was probably one of the most challenging and exciting shootemup sessions of my life! The CD version is well worth the extra investment, the sound effects are a lot better and so is the music.
Systems: PCE white, Core Grafx, CD Rom2 / IFU30, GT, LT, Super CD Rom2. Games: Almost all the shooters and about 50 others and growing! Also into Sega Saturn and Dreamcast shooters.
For HD gaming stuff visit my You Tube channel "Ten Minute Turbo Show" at www.youtube.com/futurematt5

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 09/07/2010, 09:58 AMWould reading the Raiden Strategy Guide from TurboPlay magazine get you pumped?  :D
Heh, thanks NecroPhile. :)

Quote from: futurematt on 09/07/2010, 10:30 AMI have both the HuCard and Super CD ROM versions, both are excellent, recently I made it it level 5 in what was probably one of the most challenging and exciting shootemup sessions of my life! The CD version is well worth the extra investment, the sound effects are a lot better and so is the music.
Yeah, I noticed the sound effects are a little weak on the chip version.

TurbografxKid

Raiden for the TG16 is awesome. It is the first shooter that I cut my teeth on when I first got my TG16. It wet my appetite for many other shooters on the system, which is the main reason that the system is my all time favorite console today.  :dance:

Mathius

Quote from: TurbografxKid on 09/08/2010, 10:53 PMRaiden for the TG16 is awesome. It is the first shooter that I cut my teeth on when I first got my TG16. It wet my appetite for many other shooters on the system, which is the main reason that the system is my all time favorite console today.  :dance:
The first shooter I got for my Turbo was Blazing Lazers. Fucking epic!

Eltigro

Quote from: Mathius on 09/09/2010, 12:09 AM
Quote from: TurbografxKid on 09/08/2010, 10:53 PMRaiden for the TG16 is awesome. It is the first shooter that I cut my teeth on when I first got my TG16. It wet my appetite for many other shooters on the system, which is the main reason that the system is my all time favorite console today.  :dance:
The first shooter I got for my Turbo was Blazing Lazers. Fucking epic!
My first was Blazing Lazers, too.

But about Raiden.  I suggest getting/using a TurboStick if you can.  I do much better playing vertical shooters with a stick than with a d-pad.  Also, Raiden is one of the games that I'll put in my TG and just let it run the attract mode as I do housework or something.  I like it even if I'm not playing it.

VestCunt

Quote from: Eltigro on 02/19/2011, 06:14 PMBut about Raiden.  I suggest getting/using a TurboStick if you can.  I do much better playing vertical shooters with a stick than with a d-pad.
DAMN. You're right!  The nice thing about vertical shooters is they're one genre that can be played with a joystick without any warm-up or veteran joystick skills from clumsy d-pad users like me.  I just had a great time rocking Raiden for the last hour with the junky old Turbostick (slow-motion is nice).  Not to change the subject, but, after a while, when I got tired of getting hosed, I put in Soldier Blade to try out with the Turbostick.  The downstairs neighbors weren't home, so I cranked the stereo, turned on the surround sound DSP, bumped the T-bass, and set the screen to "arcade" resolution.  HOLY SHIT.  I've owned Soldier Blade for 14 years and never had this much fun.
Topic Adjourned.

Arkhan Asylum

I only play Turbob with extreme sound mode.

if theres too many other humans home, I get out the headphones, and crank that shit to 11.  I don't care if I can't hear properly for a day afterwards.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2011, 01:09 AM
Quote from: Eltigro on 02/19/2011, 06:14 PMBut about Raiden.  I suggest getting/using a TurboStick if you can.  I do much better playing vertical shooters with a stick than with a d-pad.
DAMN. You're right!  The nice thing about vertical shooters is they're one genre that can be played with a joystick without any warm-up or veteran joystick skills from clumsy d-pad users like me.  I just had a great time rocking Raiden for the last hour with the junky old Turbostick (slow-motion is nice).  Not to change the subject, but, after a while, when I got tired of getting hosed, I put in Soldier Blade to try out with the Turbostick.  The downstairs neighbors weren't home, so I cranked the stereo, turned on the surround sound DSP, bumped the T-bass, and set the screen to "arcade" resolution.  HOLY SHIT.  I've owned Soldier Blade for 14 years and never had this much fun.
If you think that was fun, then try some Drop Off (Drop Rock Hora Hora) with the lights off and the stereo thumpin'.

Wait...what? You have stabbed me in the heart, comrade. :)

IMG

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2011, 02:20 AMI only play Turbob with extreme sound mode.

if theres too many other humans home, I get out the headphones, and crank that shit to 11.  I don't care if I can't hear properly for a day afterwards.
IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG