@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Whats the first shmup you EVER played

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 10/24/2010, 03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBMW

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/05/2010, 02:32 PMEvery activision game was great on the 2600.
I didn't play much 2600, but pretty much every Activision game I played on my Atari 800 was gold!

I think my most favorite was Great American Cross Country Road race... pure gold that game was!
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

hashiriya1

1942, when I was in 2nd grade or something.

Duo_R

Is Fantasy Zone worth checking out?

Quote from: The Old Rover on 10/29/2010, 10:15 PMFantasy Zone is pwnage. It somehow manages to pull off cute and hardcore at the same time, and it does it without bullet-hell.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Duo_R on 01/03/2011, 02:51 AMIs Fantasy Zone worth checking out?

Quote from: The Old Rover on 10/29/2010, 10:15 PMFantasy Zone is pwnage. It somehow manages to pull off cute and hardcore at the same time, and it does it without bullet-hell.
Yes!  Its what happens if you mix Defender, Candyland, and Gradius.

It rules.

Also, I was playing some atari 2600 last night, man, Solaris is badass.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Duo_R

Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Duo_R on 01/03/2011, 05:10 AMWhat's a good price on it?
I got a jewel+manual+sleevey thing copy for 7.95 locally, so....
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Ninja Spirit

Alpha Mission for the NES I think

SNKNostalgia

Life Force on the NES. I really didn't get to play many video games until I got my NES X-mas 1987. I remember my cousin returning a Gradius rental on the NES before I got my system, but I never got to see it or play it. Anyways, first time playing Life Force was when my mom rented it for my friend Terry and I. He had a sub to Nintendo Power and knew about the Konami code working and we went right through it 2 player.

The first Shootemup I owned was Abadox. It was OK actually. I don't have my copy due to the Thomas Floyd Randall incident of 96.
Me: "Hey Floyd, where are my NES games I let you borrow???"
Floyd: "Man, I, I, I lost em man."
Me: What in the hell do you mean you lost them? Those were like 15 games dude!".
I forgave him as he was the Nintendo King of our town. This guy could beat any game you throw at him.

oldskool

I think the first shooter that I recall playing was either Defender on the 2600, or Vanguard in the arcade.

rodek

non scrolling.. would be Omega Race on Vic-20

Scrolling.. ? Thexder on PC(aka 286/386)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SNKNostalgia on 01/08/2011, 11:53 AMLife Force on the NES. I really didn't get to play many video games until I got my NES X-mas 1987. I remember my cousin returning a Gradius rental on the NES before I got my system, but I never got to see it or play it. Anyways, first time playing Life Force was when my mom rented it for my friend Terry and I. He had a sub to Nintendo Power and knew about the Konami code working and we went right through it 2 player.

The first Shootemup I owned was Abadox. It was OK actually. I don't have my copy due to the Thomas Floyd Randall incident of 96.
Me: "Hey Floyd, where are my NES games I let you borrow???"
Floyd: "Man, I, I, I lost em man."
Me: What in the hell do you mean you lost them? Those were like 15 games dude!".
I forgave him as he was the Nintendo King of our town. This guy could beat any game you throw at him.
You forgave someone for losing all your games because he was good at games?  Hey, send me some stuff to borrow.  :)

Quote from: rodek on 01/12/2011, 09:15 PMnon scrolling.. would be Omega Race on Vic-20

Scrolling.. ? Thexder on PC(aka 286/386)
Man, Thexder doesn't get enough love.  I picked that up for the FC about a year ago and was like man this is pretty awesome!   I like the style.  There aren't too many games like it.  Its like a shooter/adventure hybrid.

rodek

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/12/2011, 10:23 PM
QuoteMan, Thexder doesn't get enough love.  I picked that up for the FC about a year ago and was like man this is pretty awesome!   I like the style.  There aren't too many games like it.  Its like a shooter/adventure hybrid.
They remade it for the ps3 it will be released soon
Take a look

http://dlgames.square-enix.com/jp/ps3_dl/2010/thexderneo/

Arkhan Asylum

hooooohhh damn that looks sweet.  I need to get that.

Gogan

Altho BL was the first tg shootr I played, I VERY first I can remember, I believe, was called Star Strike on Intellivision.

Between rounds of Burgertime, we would pop it in and intentionally lose so we could watch the earth get blown to pieces!!
Nothin beats the real thing.

SNKNostalgia

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/12/2011, 10:23 PMYou forgave someone for losing all your games because he was good at games?  Hey, send me some stuff to borrow.  :)
Well not really the reason. The guy was ghetto poor and he most likely pawned my games. My friend's cousin who also hanged out with Floyd did the same thing except with my SNES games around that time like Super Metroid, Dracula X, Actraiser and UN Squadron. I knew for sure my friend's cousin did it cause he did it to him as well.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that I let them borrow these games expecting them back. They didn't get shit for pawning them compared to what I paid or would have to pay to replace them. With Floyd it wasn't a huge deal since they were really cheap and common NES games, but the SNES games with the other guy were worth 8x more.

What is it about ghetto poor kids pawning their so called friends stuff? That is even worse than straight stealing them in some ways. I don't worry about it now, but at the time I was really pissed. I kinda forgave Floyd since I really think he is mildly autistic. Look how I quoted his words. Oh well, all in the past.

hashiriya1

Eltigro

First I can remember that actually scrolled as the OP mentioned, was probably River Raid on the 2600.  After that, on the NES, Tiger-Heli.  And then they get muddled....

Senshi

I'm not sure which one would have been first exactly but it definitely was on a NEO-GEO arcade cabinet.
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

CrackTiger

One of the first shooters I played was Space Invaders in the arcade. An early one that made a big impression on me was Sinistar.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/15/2011, 03:34 PMOne of the first shooters I played was Space Invaders in the arcade. An early one that made a big impression on me was Sinistar.
the cockpit cabinet sinistar was awesome

Mathius

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/15/2011, 06:46 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/15/2011, 03:34 PMOne of the first shooters I played was Space Invaders in the arcade. An early one that made a big impression on me was Sinistar.
the cockpit cabinet sinistar was awesome
Hell yeah I remember Sinistron! He scared the shite out of me when I was little!

I can't remember the 1st one, but Life Force on the NES made the biggest impression on me. The 1st stage's Brain Boss would probably go on a personal top 10 list of memorable 8-Bit boss fights.

VestCunt

I played Space Invaders in 1985 on some Texas Instruments console my friend had.
Then Zaxxon on some IBM.
Then Life Force on the NES, the first time I thought "whoa, shooters are cool."
Topic Adjourned.

tsuran

If you're counting old old school, then space invaders for me, other than that it was Ikaruga on Gamecube.
Posting is overrated.

Mathius

Quote from: tsuran on 03/16/2011, 12:17 AMIf you're counting old old school, then space invaders for me, other than that it was Ikaruga on Gamecube.
That's one hell of a time gap! :)

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 03/16/2011, 12:22 AM
Quote from: tsuran on 03/16/2011, 12:17 AMIf you're counting old old school, then space invaders for me, other than that it was Ikaruga on Gamecube.
Seriously. Well, I can't recall the very first shoot-em-up (it would be a tie between a bunch of games), but I can tell you that I obsessed over Asteroids, Space Invaders and MEGA ZONE in the arcade and Combat (2600).

There was a handheld LCD CALCULATER around 80-81 I obsessed over that had a shoot-em-up on it (diamonds and arrows for all the graphics, it actually was quite well done!)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

td741

Quote from: esteban on 03/16/2011, 04:04 PMThere was a handheld LCD CALCULATER around 80-81 I obsessed over that had a shoot-em-up on it (diamonds and arrows for all the graphics, it actually was quite well done!)
Was that a calculator that had a plastic slider thingy that covered most of the LCD screen in calculator mode but then slid to cover the calculator keys to reveal a screen with a little control stick/button?  I had the "adventure" version of that one, the adventure game was pretty good!  Of course, it might suck if I see it again.

It might have been like the "space-n-counter" found on this page: http://pocketcalculatorshow.com/calculator/index7.html

Oh, I think I found the one I had: http://www.handhelden.com/misc/ChaseNCounter.html 

tsuran

Quote from: Mathius on 03/16/2011, 12:22 AM
Yeah, lol it was one of the genre's I had never gotten into before i got older, I was always into platformers when I was young
Posting is overrated.

JoshTurboTrollX

Does Centipede or Galaga count?  I can remember a few in the 'cades that I might have played... Defender perhaps?

For consoles, I'm pretty sure that the first shmup I owned was for the Coleco Vision.  I cannot remember it's name, but it was by SEGA, and in the game you controlled a triangle of like 5 space ships.   When you got hit one of your ships would explode and you'd have to continue onward till you beat the level or till you were all out of ships.  It was actually a pretty awesome concept.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

geise

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 03/17/2011, 05:19 PMDoes Centipede or Galaga count?  I can remember a few in the 'cades that I might have played... Defender perhaps?

For consoles, I'm pretty sure that the first shmup I owned was for the Coleco Vision.  I cannot remember it's name, but it was by SEGA, and in the game you controlled a triangle of like 5 space ships.   When you got hit one of your ships would explode and you'd have to continue onward till you beat the level or till you were all out of ships.  It was actually a pretty awesome concept.
I would say yes those count.  I also think you're right and that is a very awesome concept for a game.

Arkhan Asylum

What game?

i cant think of any sega games that are like that game.

Were all these ships on screen at a time?  Its not space fury is it?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/17/2011, 06:39 PMWhat game?

i cant think of any sega games that are like that game.

Were all these ships on screen at a time?  Its not space fury is it?
Zaxxon?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

turbokon

Quote from: guest on 10/24/2010, 03:44 PMProbably Space Invaders if you count those old hand held games.
This was my first shooter too!! I remember playing this late at night under my blanket.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/17/2011, 06:39 PMWere all these ships on screen at a time?  Its not space fury is it?
Yes all the ships were on the screen at the same time.  Lemme see if I can quick make a MS pain mock up of what it looks like in my memory-
IMG
Its not space fury, and it's not Zaxxon.... I can't remember the name....
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

td741

Was it Tac/Scan:
?

Your drawing looks like the Atari 2600 version:
:P

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: td741 on 03/18/2011, 04:32 PMWas it Tac/Scan:
?
HOLY CRAP 741!!  That's it!  Huhh- Tac-Scan.... well- at least I remembered it was by Sega...lol

DHG Hunter

I'm thinking Space Invaders on the 2600...  Could have been Defender or Asteroids, though.  Think my parents had all of those at the time.

Later.

esteban

Quote from: td741 on 03/16/2011, 04:42 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/16/2011, 04:04 PMThere was a handheld LCD CALCULATER around 80-81 I obsessed over that had a shoot-em-up on it (diamonds and arrows for all the graphics, it actually was quite well done!)
Was that a calculator that had a plastic slider thingy that covered most of the LCD screen in calculator mode but then slid to cover the calculator keys to reveal a screen with a little control stick/button?  I had the "adventure" version of that one, the adventure game was pretty good!  Of course, it might suck if I see it again.

It might have been like the "space-n-counter" found on this page: http://pocketcalculatorshow.com/calculator/index7.html

Oh, I think I found the one I had: http://www.handhelden.com/misc/ChaseNCounter.html 
Yes, it most certainly was Space-n-Counter and I played the heck out of that thing. I remember when the batteries were weak, the LCD display would be so faint and flickery, but I would keep playing, just to see how long I could last. I basically was playing with only an occasional glimpse of the screen. SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE A GAME TODAY BASED ON THIS CONCEPT: Brief glimpses and auditory clues. An audio game with an optional mode that provides brief visual cues would be neat, IMHO.

Anyway, I want to play the Adventure game (Chase-N-Counter) you had!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 03/18/2011, 06:59 PM
Quote from: td741 on 03/18/2011, 04:32 PMWas it Tac/Scan:
?
HOLY CRAP 741!!  That's it!  Huhh- Tac-Scan.... well- at least I remembered it was by Sega...lol
I thought you said it was on the Colecovision lol

Mishran

Not counting all the pre-NES scrollers i played, the first shmup for me would be Xevious for NES. I put many many hours into that game as a kid. Game ruled back then. Forget all you xevious haters! Wish it had an actual ending though. Now I have to get my hands on a PCE copy if I can locate one. PCE Sale/Trade thread, here i come!

esteban

Quote from: Mishran on 04/02/2011, 01:42 AMNot counting all the pre-NES scrollers i played, the first shmup for me would be Xevious for NES. I put many many hours into that game as a kid. Game ruled back then. Forget all you xevious haters! Wish it had an actual ending though. Now I have to get my hands on a PCE copy if I can locate one. PCE Sale/Trade thread, here i come!
Not all of us dismiss Xevious :). There are a handful of old fogies here who still enjoy it. I think you'll like the PCE version.

Mishran

Quote from: esteban on 04/02/2011, 10:05 AMNot all of us dismiss Xevious :). There are a handful of old fogies here who still enjoy it. I think you'll like the PCE version.
I know not everyone does. I wasn't being serious about it. :P