Turbo Stick on PCE ?

Started by Official Ninja, 11/30/2010, 11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Official Ninja

Sorry if its a total noob question, but, is there a way to use the Turbo Stick with the PCE Duo-R?
I always prefered the stick for shooters like Spriggan and Cyber Core.
I have a PCE Duo-r on the way and I think it uses the smaller DIN plug for the controllers.

Thanks!

NecroPhile

You can use TG-16 controllers on a PCE/TurboDuo with an adapter (part no. HES-DIN-01), make your own similar adapter, or you can swap out the cable from a PCE controller (preferably a dead one).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Official Ninja

Quote from: guest on 11/30/2010, 11:28 AMYou can use TG-16 controllers on a PCE/TurboDuo with an adapter (part no. HES-DIN-01), make your own similar adapter, or you can swap out the cable from a PCE controller (preferably a dead one).
Thanks! So, swapping the cable, would it just plug in on the controller PCB? or does it need to be rewired at all?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Official Ninja on 11/30/2010, 11:55 AMThanks! So, swapping the cable, would it just plug in on the controller PCB? or does it need to be rewired at all?
It's plug and play with normal controllers (except for very early models, which were a bit different), and although I've never looked inside a TurboStick, I assume it's similar.

Official Ninja

Quote from: guest on 11/30/2010, 12:07 PM
Quote from: Official Ninja on 11/30/2010, 11:55 AMThanks! So, swapping the cable, would it just plug in on the controller PCB? or does it need to be rewired at all?
It's plug and play with normal controllers (except for very early models, which were a bit different), and although I've never looked inside a TurboStick, I assume it's similar.
Thanks very much. I looked around the internet real quick and it seems the HES-DIN-01 is non existent. So if my Duo-r comes with some "extra controllers" like the post said I might have to use the wire from one for my Turbo Stick. :)

NecroPhile

Yeah, the official adapter doesn't show up often and is usually rather pricey when it does (clicky).

nat

Alternatively, you could pick up a Japanese TurboStick which is basically identical to the US TurboStick except for turbo slider placement, color, connector size and it's bottom-weighted! For some reason they removed the bottom weight from the US version.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Official Ninja

Thanks NAT! That stick looks cool, and I'd love to pick one up if the price is right.
I still want to get my turbo stick working with the PCE. Thats what I've always played with and I love the damn thing. :)

nat

I bought mine a number of years ago for $20. It was not factory sealed, but it had never been used and it came fresh in the box. $50 for a new/sealed one seems about right, maybe slightly high, but there's no reason you shoudn't be able to find a used one cheap.

That aside, the reason I mentioned one of these is because the button/stick layout is identical to the US TurboStick not to mention they are electrically identical inside as well. They are also the roughly the same dimensions.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

NecroPhile

It's $3 less ($6.23 less with shipping) directly from their website.  F@CK EBAY!