OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

DuoRX Power Supply problems (UK)

Started by _Paul, 01/28/2011, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Paul

My Duo-RX has been having problems since my first power supply (which I seem to have lost/thrown away) went pop. I got a multi-plug supply some time ago but it's never worked properly. Here is a picture of it for your pleasure:

/duopower.jpg

The problem with this supply is that although it has a billion connectors, none of them work completely. Only one *seems* to fit, but it is a little wobbly and the only way I can get power to the unit is to wedge something behind it so it is pushed in and up. Unfortunately the hole in the RX is smaller than the briefcase so I can't use my old one.

After this, playing HuCARDs is not an issue, they work great. But if I try to boot up a CD game, the power light flickers and the screen goes bumpitty-bump. I am guessing that there is not enough power going to the machine. (Voltage and polarity is correct on the plug). Check out the awesome video of my RX not working.

Now this makes OBEYing a bit tricky, so I need to know if anyone knows exactly what brand and model of UK power adapter I can get that will work in my RX. Does anyone know? Or is something else just broken?

Thanks.

electrochip

You need have enough voltage, 9V and amperage 1000ma or 1A same thing. I can't tell but it looks like you power supply says 500ma? That's way to low and you could be causing or could cause damage to your system when trying to run a CD.

NecroPhile

Yeah, you need more juice.  I don't suppose there are any Radio Shacks in the UK (or that they'd ship to you), otherwise their 9V 1.5A adapters (part no. 273-356) with a 'Q' plug (part no. 273-347) would be right up your alley.  I'd check with pcenginesales; she might have some for sale or at least be able to tell you where to find one in your neck o' the woods.

added in edit: It looks like they are in the UK, but with different goodies - this one has the necessary specs (9V 1.0A) and one of its plugs matches the size listed for the 'Q' plug (6.3mm x 3.0mm).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

_Paul

That's really helpful, thanks guys. The one I have is 300mA which I guess is utterly useless. I think I'll be ordering that one from Radio Shack so I can prepare for the arrival of Mysterious Song.

nat

Oh man, yeah, 300mA is waaaaaaaaaay too low. I'm really surprised it works at all, even for HuCards. Throw that shit straight in the trash right away.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SignOfZeta

I've experimented with 300mA before, runs HuCards just fine, but it can't deal with the CDROM loads.

As has been said here many many times, the Radio Shack one is absolutely perfect. What hasn't been said much before is that its even international. Have some American here send you one. The exchange rate for you would even make the thing seem less overpriced. :)

EDIT: just looked at Necro's link. It looks like this one will do, but the US version matches the system. :)
IMG

Ravij

Get a switch mode power supply, with the right voltage and at least 1000mA (1 A)

These guys have a huge selection, and are wholesale prices.

http://cpc.farnell.com/stontronics/3a-161da09/psu-s-mode-ac-dc-15w-9v/dp/PW01542

I've got something pretty similar on my DUO. The DUO actually runs cooler than any other PSU I've used - I guess the DUOs power regulators are not turning excess voltage into heat - that's got to be good for reliability.

Only issue you might have is finding the right DC connector - I know the one on the DUO is impossible to find anywhere in the UK, so I ended up splicing the original cable off my original 110V adapter on to my new PSU.

Tablet

Quote from: guest on 01/28/2011, 04:09 PMadded in edit: It looks like they are in the UK, but with different goodies - this one has the necessary specs (9V 1.0A) and one of its plugs matches the size listed for the 'Q' plug (6.3mm x 3.0mm).
Will this adaptor work with the SuperCDROM2? I've been trying to find a solution that doesn't involve a stepdown converter for ages.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Tablet on 01/29/2011, 03:36 AMWill this adaptor work with the SuperCDROM2? I've been trying to find a solution that doesn't involve a stepdown converter for ages.
A quick run through the forum search says that the Super CD-ROM wants 12V 1.0A and I think it uses the same tip as a Duo, so that one should work just dandy.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

_Paul

I got it today and it works a treat! It's a pity the picture looks like ass because I don't have RGB on my RX, I guess that's the next hurdle.