Tengai Makyo: Ziria SCD version System cards.

Started by termis, 02/27/2011, 05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

termis

So I was trying to get the SCD version of Tengai Makyō to work with Ootake (the way I've been playing PCE games past couple months), and for whatever reason I'd get the "you need the SCD 3.0 card to play this game" error screen in the beginning.  I thought, what the hell is going on, I DO have the 3.0 system card image loaded on there!  Then I realized that I had the U.S. version of the system card loaded, and when I tried the PCE version, voila!  It loaded fine.

So... I wonder if this happens on real hardware.  Have any of you tried the game (specifically the SCD re-release version of Ziria), with the US system card?  Actually that's a two part question -- 1) Does this game boot up on a separate, US version of System 3.0 card? 2) Does this game boot up on a stand-alone TurboDuo?

I haven't heard of any games actually needing a region-specific system card before (other than GameExpress cards, which is obviously only one region), though I thought I recall reading somewhere on here that a few demos didn't work with US cards either...

NecroPhile

Quote from: termis on 02/27/2011, 05:54 AMI haven't heard of any games actually needing a region-specific system card before (other than GameExpress cards, which is obviously only one region), though I thought I recall reading somewhere on here that a few demos didn't work with US cards either...
Here's a few of 'em - Take the 'A' Train III, Bonanza Bros., Shadow of the Beast, and of course Altered Beast.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

Quote from: termis on 02/27/2011, 05:54 AMSo I was trying to get the SCD version of Tengai Makyō to work with Ootake (the way I've been playing PCE games past couple months), and for whatever reason I'd get the "you need the SCD 3.0 card to play this game" error screen in the beginning.  I thought, what the hell is going on, I DO have the 3.0 system card image loaded on there!  Then I realized that I had the U.S. version of the system card loaded, and when I tried the PCE version, voila!  It loaded fine.

So... I wonder if this happens on real hardware.  Have any of you tried the game (specifically the SCD re-release version of Ziria), with the US system card?  Actually that's a two part question -- 1) Does this game boot up on a separate, US version of System 3.0 card? 2) Does this game boot up on a stand-alone TurboDuo?
Yes. I played through the entire game (SCD version) on a black American TurboDuo.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

rag-time4

Quote from: nat on 02/27/2011, 07:24 PM
Quote from: termis on 02/27/2011, 05:54 AMSo I was trying to get the SCD version of Tengai Makyō to work with Ootake (the way I've been playing PCE games past couple months), and for whatever reason I'd get the "you need the SCD 3.0 card to play this game" error screen in the beginning.  I thought, what the hell is going on, I DO have the 3.0 system card image loaded on there!  Then I realized that I had the U.S. version of the system card loaded, and when I tried the PCE version, voila!  It loaded fine.

So... I wonder if this happens on real hardware.  Have any of you tried the game (specifically the SCD re-release version of Ziria), with the US system card?  Actually that's a two part question -- 1) Does this game boot up on a separate, US version of System 3.0 card? 2) Does this game boot up on a stand-alone TurboDuo?
Yes. I played through the entire game (SCD version) on a black American TurboDuo.
Does the US Duo have a US system card, or does it have the properties of a Japanese system card?

TurboXray

QuoteDoes the US Duo have a US system card, or does it have the properties of a Japanese system card?
It does. Otherwise it would read as "PC-Engine" system card on the boot screen. The region detection bit isn't on hucards or system cards themselves. It's in the system and read as the I/O status. I'm curious to know why it didn't work in the emulator. termis, can you give more info? Which emulator; which version of the emulator, which system bios (the exact name of the rom file).

termis

Quote from: guest on 02/27/2011, 12:41 PM
Quote from: termis on 02/27/2011, 05:54 AMI haven't heard of any games actually needing a region-specific system card before (other than GameExpress cards, which is obviously only one region), though I thought I recall reading somewhere on here that a few demos didn't work with US cards either...
Here's a few of 'em - Take the 'A' Train III, Bonanza Bros., Shadow of the Beast, and of course Altered Beast.
Ah, right, Altered Beast I knew about; others I wasn't too sure about - thanks for confirming.  I guess that means there more than one reason (cost) to not buy the US 3.0 cards.

Quote from: TurboXray on 02/27/2011, 11:54 PMIt's in the system and read as the I/O status. I'm curious to know why it didn't work in the emulator. termis, can you give more info? Which emulator; which version of the emulator, which system bios (the exact name of the rom file).
Ootake v2.39, then just upgraded to 2.51, and same things happens.

Bios Files:
[BIOS] TurboGrafx CD Super System Card (USA) (v3.0).pce
[BIOS] Super CD-ROM System (Japan) (v3.0).pce

This is the only PCE game that I've tries so far to not load up on the US version of the system card 3.0.  I've played a number of other Japanese SCD games without issues.