@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PUSHRUNBUTTON.COM What should it become?

Started by BEERS AND VIDEOS, 05/04/2011, 11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BEERS AND VIDEOS

I recently picked up this domain name with the intention of doing a little blog and review sort of project with it. Was wondering, though, if there is something that the community here would like to see incorporated into it.

There was talk in another thread about acquiring tzd.com (the old Turbo Zone Direct domain) and creating a buying/selling/repair sort of site. The negotiations apparently didn't go well with the current owner of the domain. I'm not sure if I want pushrunbutton.com to be heavy into the e-commerce segment (at least as far as selling/buying games/system - seems like eBay is the dominant player here). What could be cool is to have some centralized resource for repair and mod services.

Anyhow, what are your thoughts? I'd want this to become something that, while small, would be a useful resource with a different slant to what other Turbo/PCE sites have to offer currently.

Mathius

I guess my dream would be to have a reliable site for buying games at their actual value. But, if you just had a reviews site that would be cool too. Thing is The Brothers Duomozov covers that pretty well now.

BEERS AND VIDEOS

I hear your point. The problem would be the investment of getting an inventory to sell games. Then you have the problem of getting games at a fair price without spending a ton of time at flea markets and yard sales - just to sell on the site.

I guess I'm thinking about something different from a review site. The Brothers' site is pretty much unbeatable as far as that goes.

BlueBMW

A centralized location for repair info might be cool.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

BEERS AND VIDEOS

Quote from: BlueBMW on 05/05/2011, 04:32 PMA centralized location for repair info might be cool.
Blue, yeah, that would be cool. Seeing how I have zero experience in the repair/mod arena, I'd definitely have to work together with some of the awesome crew here.

I'm a big fan of Racketboy.com and what Nick has been able to do with the site. While it does have a general retro-gaming focus, I'm disappointed with the overall coverage of the Turbo/PC Engine. I think the basic idea I see for Push Run Button is taking that "retro gaming lifestyle" angle and really specialize it to NEC hardware.

OldMan

I'll second that. With a sidebar for hardware identification / homebrew projects.
Anyone know anything about building an IDE adapter :) <j/k>

Mathius

OldRover

Another review site never hurts. Besides, not all of the reviews on that site are impartial... having multiple reviews of the same game by different people would really put things in perspective. Also, one thing we had talked about before was to have like a consignment shop of sorts... people could just come on and sell stuff at their own price.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

nat

Quote from: OldRover on 05/05/2011, 07:40 PMAnother review site never hurts. Besides, not all of the reviews on that site are impartial... having multiple reviews of the same game by different people would really put things in perspective.
That's exactly what we do on The Brothers Duomazov and a major part of the concept behind the site. Hence the "brothers" angle.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Mathius

Quote from: nat on 05/05/2011, 08:27 PM
Quote from: OldRover on 05/05/2011, 07:40 PMAnother review site never hurts. Besides, not all of the reviews on that site are impartial... having multiple reviews of the same game by different people would really put things in perspective.
That's exactly what we do on The Brothers Duomazov and a major part of the concept behind the site. Hence the "brothers" angle.
One thing that actually bugs me about the Duomozov site is if I was to select a certain game off the list the page that comes up is of only one reviewer even though multiple reviews exist. It's usually Runin's I think. If Runin doesn't have a review of a particular game then nat's, etc. will show. The site seems to favor Runin.  :P

nat

If you use the drop-down "Select a Review" menu to select a game, the site will display all the reviews that exist for that title, regardless of author.

If you use the month/year selector down below to find games, you're only going to get a single review based on who posted the review during that month.

As far as the site seeming to "favor" runin's reviews, that's because his reviews exponentially outnumber the rest at this time. We have a ton of games reviewed where his views are the only ones posted at present. This will change as time goes on; the site is an active work in progress.

Long story short, using the month/year menus to find reviews is a bad idea if you want to see multiple viewpoints.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Mathius

Ah yes. You are correct. :) I was using the "Select a Review" method, but it always seemed like I would get Runin's review on one page and that would be it.

I do realize that Runin is a workhorse reviewer, and the rest of you lack the sheer magnitude of reviews in comparison. I wasn't knocking you for it bro. :) It just seemed like anytime I "Selected" a review, when I know from memory that two or more of you reviewed that particular game, it would just display Runin's. But, I just tried it and you are right.

Love ya nat! <<<hugs>>> :mrgreen:

grahf

Hey Nat, are you guys ever planning on accepting outside reviews? I completely understand if not, but I wish there was a place for "amateur" community reviews. I kinda use PCE Daisakusen for that now, in the comments section (as do a few other people), but it feels like it's not the right place to put that stuff.

Pushrunbutton might be a good place for that.

nat

We have no plans for that at at this time, no.

thrush

Just my 2 cents about the domain:  I have spent the last moth or so quietly reading through a lot of the older threads on this board and I have learned a lot ... but, not everyone will do this.  So, I think it might be a cool idea to put together a collection of information for newbies, such as basic system & game care, information on system internals, and buying/trading best practices.  All of this info is already available, but it might be nice to have it in a central location.  I think especially trading advice would go a long way toward discouraging people from feeding the sharks on eBay or Amazon.

(For instance, I got my system sans manual and it'd been a long time since I played, so it took me a bit to figure out how to get to the save games menu.)

If this is something experienced community members think would be worthwhile, I'd be happy to help however I can.

For the record, I also totally support the idea of a central location for repair & mod info!

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

VestCunt

This is the first time I know of where someone has offered to open up a site to user-submitted content and/or use as a community resource.  Thanks B&V.

I'd like to see:
1) user-submitted game reviews.
2) user-submitted informational articles (per Thrush's post)
3)  Compiled repair FAQ's and resources
4) a centralized marketplace for community projects, maybe a shopping cart system, maybe just links to where things can be found.  Trying to sell games at fair prices wouldn't work because ebay resellers would find out and buy everything up, but there are other things that could be sold or advertised.  Remember, in addition to selling new games, TZD also had information on what Radio Shack parts were needed for a replacement Duo AC adapter; they found a stockpile of computer cables that could be used as extension cords; they had more Duo AV cables manufactured; they had more Duo controller cables made; they talked Hudson into a DE2 reprint (admittedly something that will never happen again); they offered repairs through that old Retrogames site, and, after that guy flaked out, worked with D-Lite to repair a bunch of their TE units.   My point is, besides selling new old stock, they also functioned as a collective bargaining co-op to get replacement parts made and as a repair resource.
Similar things happen on this forum, like the Loom/Monster Lair purchase, BMW's generous Sapphire offer, that deal someone found on ebay for credit card/hucard sleeves, Official Ninja's work on a potential TG-CD gear that might be made, homebrew games, Sparky's sticker business, etc.  Just compiling links where people can buy these things would be useful.
Topic Adjourned.

_Paul

Quote from: grahf on 05/06/2011, 11:33 AMHey Nat, are you guys ever planning on accepting outside reviews? I completely understand if not, but I wish there was a place for "amateur" community reviews. I kinda use PCE Daisakusen for that now, in the comments section (as do a few other people), but it feels like it's not the right place to put that stuff.

Pushrunbutton might be a good place for that.
I'll always put submited reviews on the Bible site, but I don't get many.

roflmao

I'm in the final stages of building a website that includes a lot of similar functionality that was laid out above.  I'm using Wordpress/Buddypress for the site which I'm really digging.  There are a couple of other paying gigs in the queue that would take precedence, but I'd be happy to take a crack at setting something up that would allow for user submitted material and an online shopping experience in my free time - I just probably wouldn't be able to break ground in it for at least a couple more weeks.

machomadness

How about a site COMPLETELY dedicated to the Turbo. Have a mini store(ala AtariAge), box scans, manual scans(for those of us with only the Hu-Cards), Advertisements, videos, user reviews, links to stores, ePay watch, and more?
IMG