10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

cd drive sold

Started by Keith Courage, 06/15/2011, 03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Courage

The drive is sold :-({|=

GameFreak

I've bought from Mr.Keith Courage a couple times and I was satisfied both times. If you are looking for a CD drive I wouldn't hesitate, he's a good seller.
....Bump

thrush

Quote from: GameFreak on 06/24/2011, 04:51 PMI've bought from Mr.Keith Courage a couple times and I was satisfied both times.
Same here.  ^^

Keith Courage

nat

By no means do I want to dump on your sale, but you might have more luck if you lowered the price a bit. $85 is pretty steep for one of these drives by themselves, especially considering the gear issues these things have. A complete IFU-30 or TG-CD setup complete with dock, console core, and drive can be had for not considerably more than what you're asking here.

Just a friendly FYI.....
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

GameFreak

Seems like a fair price. It's virtually the only one for sale now and I haven't seen one in a while on ebay and this site. I know one guy over-seas that sells them for a few dollars more and shipping price is outrageous.

You could buy a loose interface unit for about $30 and and loose core grafx for about $35 if you shop around. So $150 total isn't that bad for a PCE-CDrom setup.

Not to mention, whats a guy gonna do when his drive does die? Buy a duo-r, or just replace the drive with one that works?

I guess it's a matter of opinion and how much money you spend on systems.

BlueBMW

There is one on ebay right now for $92 plus shipping.  Again seems a bit high IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-PC-Engine-CD-drive-Compatible-w-Turbo-Grafx-CD-ROM-/110706741252

Also looks like its the same guy who offers the repairs on the CD units.  Same guy who was on here a while back and then closed his account when he was confronted about not sharing the gear repair info, despite freely using all the repair info and know-how here.   :roll:  But I dont need to get going on that old story again...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

SignOfZeta

I think that would be a fair price if it weren't for the fact that the gear might shatter within days of buying it.
IMG

csgx1

Keith Courage

GameFreak

Quote from: nat on 06/25/2011, 01:33 PMBy no means do I want to dump on your sale, but you might have more luck if you lowered the price a bit. $85 is pretty steep for one of these drives by themselves, especially considering the gear issues these things have. A complete IFU-30 or TG-CD setup complete with dock, console core, and drive can be had for not considerably more than what you're asking here.

Just a friendly FYI.....
Do you know of a cheaper one on the market now?

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/25/2011, 10:15 PMI think that would be a fair price if it weren't for the fact that the gear might shatter within days of buying it.
Well than nobody should buy or sell duo's either because the caps could pop any second or maybe the laser could burn out. Right?

Just let the guy sell his drive. It seems really unfair to make statements like that in someones thread.  [-X

BlueBMW

Hmmm... I just looked at that ebay auction again... that looks to be the exact same drive, serial number and all :-k
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Sparky

Quote from: GameFreak on 06/26/2011, 07:14 PMJust let the guy sell his drive. It seems really unfair to make statements like that in someones thread.  [-X
easy man... comments were all friendly (ok zeta was a little harsh)... and not everyone looks at ebay as a guide for what stuff is worth...
I got a whole complete PCE breifcase system for $100 with games but i guess that does not count as i did not buy from ebay "the real market :P".... if its a good price it sells so will see.

GameFreak

Quote from: guest on 06/26/2011, 08:01 PM
Quote from: GameFreak on 06/26/2011, 07:14 PMJust let the guy sell his drive. It seems really unfair to make statements like that in someones thread.  [-X
easy man... comments were all friendly (ok zeta was a little harsh)... and not everyone looks at ebay as a guide for what stuff is worth...
I got a whole complete PCE breifcase system for $100 with games but i guess that does not count as i did not buy from ebay "the real market :P".... if its a good price it sells so will see.
Sparky- Yeah you're right. We'll see if it sells. But honestly who would buy it now with negative comments about price and reliability?

BTW where are these $100 briefcase setups? I've been to japan auctions and even japan and chinese game shops in person, but I don't see them? Is it too much of a secret to share with me?

Sparky

try kijiji and craiglist as that is where i got mine..... kijiji that is... try inquiring as it worked for me :)
Not trying to be a dick man, & there not negative comments... just realistic <<shrugs>>

GameFreak

Yeah i dont want to get involved in internet drama  [-( anymore.

Thanks for the tip Sparky  8)

Sparky

Quote from: GameFreak on 06/26/2011, 08:36 PMYeah i dont want to get involved in internet drama  [-( anymore.

Thanks for the tip Sparky  8)
Drama? <<scratches head>>
and Keith my apologies as i wish you the best on your sale as the system does looks very nice.

Keith Courage

thesteve

"Hmmm... I just looked at that ebay auction again... that looks to be the exact same drive, serial number and all Think"

your right it does

kattare

Nuthin' wrong with listing it here and on ebay at the same time.  Who cares?
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

BlueBMW

Quote from: kattare on 06/27/2011, 07:23 PMNuthin' wrong with listing it here and on ebay at the same time.  Who cares?
Thats not the point....

<sigh>

As some remember, the was once a guy on here by the screen name chriscomputers.  He was the guy who sold the CDROM2 repairs on ebay that started a firestorm.  We kindly asked him to share his two gear solution with everyone, since his repair price was pretty high, AND because we share a TON of repair info here.  Upon being confronted, chriscomputers left the site.

So we thought...

This ebay auction for a PCE CDROM who's serial number, blemeshes etc MATCH the one for sale in this thread.... (believe me I've analyzed it closely)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEC-PC-Engine-CD-drive-Compatible-w-Turbo-Grafx-CD-ROM-/110706741252

is the same seller as this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Turbo-Grafx-PC-Engine-CD-Drive-system-duo-Repair-FIX-/110708087794

Which, when two and two are put together means that

chriscomputers = Keith Courage

So now I ask, why the deception?  Why not work WITH us here, share what you know as we have all shared what we know so freely.  And looking at the feedback for this ebay account, this person has sold TONS of Duos etc.  I find it hard to believe that one person would happen to have that many GOOD WORKING Duos just laying around to sell.  I suspect they are broken units that are being fixed and resold.

When Keith Courage runs into an issue, he asks questions here like anyone else but the unit in question is always referred to as "a friends Duo" or "an extra Express I had"  Are these really all one guy's units?

I could be way off, and if I am, forgive me Keith Courage.  I did send the games you wanted today, which was another coincidence as the city / state I sent them to was the same as the location in that PCE CDROM2 auction.

There I've spoken my peace.  I'm not one for forum drama, so I'll let everyone make their own opinions of this.

To Keith, if you ARE Chriscomputers... I have two requests.... one... PLEASE share what you know, the more tech people we've got on here the better it is for all of us who enjoy old hardware.  Two, I'd ask you to offer your repaired goods to peeps on here first rather than throw them all on ebay like that.  Maybe its a lucrative side job for you, but if you're taking advantage of the repair info made available here in order to make personal profit, that rubs me and I'm sure others the wrong way.

Blue

OldMan

QuoteMaybe its a lucrative side job for you, but if you're taking advantage of the repair info made available here in order to make personal profit, that rubs me and I'm sure others the wrong way.
I second that. And it's not that anyone is making a profit : I don't really care much about that, since, if you're willing to do the work, you should be paid for it.
But that works two ways. Unless you figured out all the repair info yourself (doubtful) You at least owe the community information about your sources. If you don't share that info, why should anyone share with you???
After all, they could have withheld their information. Then where would you be?

And, more importantly, where are you gonna be if Blue gets his fix together, and refuses to share the procedure?
(Or, better yet, only posts it via PM's, with you excluded?)
 It's much more robust and easily repairable than gears :)
And cheaper, too, from what I've heard...

PunkCryborg

Keith has offered help in the repairs section too though

BlueBMW

Quote from: TheOldMan on 06/27/2011, 08:25 PMI second that. And it's not that anyone is making a profit : I don't really care much about that, since, if you're willing to do the work, you should be paid for it.
Oh I agree, one should get paid for doing the work.  I guess what rubbed me more, is if he's getting the info from here, why doesn't he offer PCE / TG related stuff for sale here first or at least in addition to ebay (as was done with this CDROM2)  That ebay seller has sold TONS of duos etc.

Quote from: elabit on 06/27/2011, 08:29 PMKeith has offered help in the repairs section too though
Which is great!  I'm just saying that if infact he is the chriscomputers of old.... first why the deception, and second why not share the twin gear design he was using to fix CDROMS.

As far as the belt drive is concerned, I've sourced parts, gotta make a few phone calls and it'll be a done deal.

RR1980

I completely agree with bmw with what he said. We are not trying to stop Keith from making money. Sharing information can benefit this community as a whole (look at how with the duos and the cdromrom they used to be terminal death sentenses when they break and now there are ways to fix them thanks to chop/beamer/thesteve and  others working together) and by being here he's part of this community. Also if Keith is Chriscomputers maybe he didn't even know this but recently chop/bmw/thesteve had to fix a forum member's Duo because the fix Chris implemented on the Duo (and charged good money for at ebay) failed so obviously he hasn't completely mastered his skills and can benefit from working with the other guys here.

blueraven

This is the old thread for reference:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9200.0

EDIT:
This is all I have to say about this. My response is at the beginning of page 2.

nat

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/27/2011, 01:09 AMMy serial reads 07019823B. So it is close but still off by a couple digits. Plus mine does not have that weird blue wire running through the vents on the bottom. The coloring is a little off on both as well. It may seem like an odd coincidence but that drive(ebay one)isn't this one. I understand if the price may be a little high. That's why I said that if no one is willing to pay that then I will lower it later. I'm not here to make a mess of money. Just trying to sell off some stuff I no longer need. I won't be offended if no one wants it at this price.
I'm not usually one to jump down one's throat, but after careful comparison of the pics, I believe BlueBMW just caught you in a bold-faced lie.

While there's certainly nothing wrong with being a member and selling your wares here, the fact that you're being deceitful about the whole thing, coupled with the fact you openly utilize the resources and fruits of the labor of forum members and then withhold your own findings is simply despicable.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

LoL, I got my last one out of a junk basket for 5 bucks (not just the CD-Rom, but the whole IFU30 incl. PC Engine). And it still works. There are always prices and PRICES.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/27/2011, 07:34 PMThis ebay auction for a PCE CDROM who's serial number, blemeshes etc MATCH the one for sale in this thread.... (believe me I've analyzed it closely)
You are so totally right blue. Comparing those two so called "different" CD-ROMs, you can even find the same dirt and spots on the very same locations.

So why all this lierry?

QuotePlus mine does not have that weird blue wire running through the vents on the bottom.
That's probably because it was opened once, and not closed the exact same way as it was opened? rolf.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Trevpwnsnoobs

(20:45:58) Tatsujin: WARNING! WARNING! A HUGE OBEYANCE "PC ENGINE" IS APPROACHING FAST!

RR1980

Quote from: Tatsujin on 06/28/2011, 12:34 AM
LoL, I got my last one out of a junk basket for 5 bucks (not just the CD-Rom, but the whole IFU30 incl. PC Engine). And it still works. There are always prices and PRICES.
haha for most of us if we want to take advantage of this 500 yen IFU sale we would have to spend $1,000 on plane tix and hotel cost to go to the Hard Off or Akiba or wherever tho so there are costs and then there are COSTS hehe

kattare

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/27/2011, 07:34 PM
Quote from: kattare on 06/27/2011, 07:23 PMNuthin' wrong with listing it here and on ebay at the same time.  Who cares?
Thats not the point....

<sigh>

Doh.  Missed that part.  I'm with Blue... it'd be cool if you are the dude sellin' repairs on ebay if you could write up a howto.  Not like it's going to take away from your ebay business much.  It's two different audiences I think...

pceslayer

I can confirm he is in fact chriscomputers based on the paypal email he supplied me with when I bought the PCEngine briefcase off him.

I have nothing against the guy, but boldface lying ain't cool.

and thread title change speaks for itself...

nat

Quote from: pceslayer on 06/28/2011, 02:15 AMI have nothing against the guy, but boldface lying ain't cool.
Indeed.

This guy seems like a real piece of work. Not only does he come around once, give the community the finger as he makes off with repair info we've all worked long and hard at attaining, but then he goes and starts a repair business with it, refusing to share any of his findings with the community and charging a premium for his work. If it wasn't for the wealth of repair information compiled here in these forums, he wouldn't have a repair business to begin with. This is appalling in and of itself, but it doesn't stop there.

This isn't enough for him. No, he feels the need to come BACK. You might think under normal circumstances this would be to mend burnt bridges and make good on his previous errors, but not this guy. He comes back under an alternate identity to further leech repair information and when his identity is discovered, he fabricates not one, but TWO bold-face lies.

He basically had three opportunities with which to make amends with the community, and instead of utilizing them, he chose instead to be deceitful and dig himself deeper, in the process eliminating any remaining credibility. And in true RoyVegas "Man, I got busted" form, he edited all his posts, tucked tail, and ran off.

Nice going, dude.

GameFreak

yikes. A lot has happened since I last read this. And I was trying to help him out on page one. I'll go out on a limb and blame NEC for making crappy drives. it's all their fault. See the drama they have created.....Im kidding.

It is what it is.

Coca cola is full of lies and they wont release their "secret" ingredients (generic coke sucks for a reason) but I manage to buy and drink a ton of that crap anyway.

I have never had a problem with keith myself. He was always a good guy to me but I see where you guys are coming from. In the end it sucks for everyone.

RR1980

yeah gamefreak I am sure your experience with him was great as had a few guys had said about Chriscomputers in the old thread. I am sure he's not a terrible person and his prices aren't really crazy gouging either. We just wish he would realize that working with us will lead to better repairing methods in the end and he will benefit from that in the bigger picture. Hopefully he'll be more careful and can contribute more with his next identity. :)

nat

Quote from: GameFreak on 06/28/2011, 02:57 AMCoca cola is full of lies and they wont release their "secret" ingredients (generic coke sucks for a reason) but I manage to buy and drink a ton of that crap anyway.
That's a poor analogy, and you know it.

This is a community, one that thrives on cooperation. Without cooperation, there would be no TurboExpress video fix, no Duo sound repair, no region mod PCB... Need I go on?

QuoteI have never had a problem with keith myself. He was always a good guy to me but I see where you guys are coming from. In the end it sucks for everyone. 
He hasn't ripped me off or anything either, but if that's all it takes for someone to be a "good guy," then even Nintega would qualify. To me, "good guys" don't lie and deceive the community at large.

GameFreak

Quote from: nat on 06/28/2011, 03:06 AM
Quote from: GameFreak on 06/28/2011, 02:57 AMCoca cola is full of lies and they wont release their "secret" ingredients (generic coke sucks for a reason) but I manage to buy and drink a ton of that crap anyway.
That's a poor analogy, and you know it.

This is a community, one that thrives on cooperation. Without cooperation, there would be no TurboExpress video fix, no Duo sound repair, no region mod PCB... Need I go on?

QuoteI have never had a problem with keith myself. He was always a good guy to me but I see where you guys are coming from. In the end it sucks for everyone. 
He hasn't ripped me off or anything either, but if that's all it takes for someone to be a "good guy," then even Nintega would qualify. To me, "good guys" don't lie and deceive the community at large.
I know, it was a sarcastic analogy. I'll use an emoticon next time for clarification.

Keith Courage

Okay guys, this will be the last time anyone will see me here. Someone, mentioned that I had 3 tries to make things right? Do you want to know why I lied about who I was? It's because of all the drama that comes from these forums. I have seen this same crap done to other new members from time to time and it's outright disgusting. The first time I was a member I was accused of steeling ideas. Then when I explained my idea, everyone acted as if I wasn't smart enough to come up with that idea on my own. God forbid someone comes up with an idea by themselves before they ever became a member of this forum. People here act like they are so high and mighty and to think that anyone else could possibly know something that they don't is hard to swallow. After basically being treated like piss the first time around I felt no need to contribute any info on my cd rom fix especially to the people who were rude to me in the first place(who seem to be the same ones who keep asking me about it). I haven't kept my gear fix a secret just to make money. I'd sooner just get a 2nd job than do this for extra cash. $55 ebay translates to only about $40 after all the ebay and paypal fees and that's for hours of work. Hell, I even gave a memeber of these forums pictures to show everyone my repair and that still didn't seem good enough for anyone. I just don't see a reason to share any of this info after at least 2 or 3 or the regular head repair guys here basically ripped into me. That's not how you ask for someones advice or help. Go ahead and post some whitty coments now about how I am in the wrong. I know that will be comming next. It always does here.                                                                                
              I can't say that my experience on these forums has been all bad. I have bought a few things from people, sold some stuff, made some trades, and shared knowledge back and forth with some very nice people. Thats, what I enjoy about this place.

blueraven

Quote from: pceslayer on 06/28/2011, 02:15 AMand thread title change speaks for itself...
Totally lame. Childish even.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMI lied
We know.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMIt's because of all the drama that comes from these forums. I have seen this same crap done to other new members from time to time and it's outright disgusting.
Actually we're quite receptive to new members. You should check out the welcome threads.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMThe first time I was a member I was accused of steeling ideas.
That's because you went onto the repair forums here and then somehow organically manifested the idea.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMThen when I explained my idea, everyone acted as if I wasn't smart enough to come up with that idea on my own. God forbid someone comes up with an idea by themselves before they ever became a member of this forum.
LOL

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMPeople here act like they are so high and mighty and to think that anyone else could possibly know something that they don't is hard to swallow.
Actually all of the repair people here are pretty humble and eager to help you out at 3AM with a laser or whatever.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMAfter basically being treated like piss the first time around I felt no need to contribute any info on my cd rom fix especially to the people who were rude to me in the first place(who seem to be the same ones who keep asking me about it).
No one was initially rude to you, it was only after we found out you were gouging and then lying about it.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMI haven't kept my gear fix a secret just to make money.
Glad to know it's still officially a secret.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMHell, I even gave a memeber of these forums pictures to show everyone.
Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMI just didn't see a reason to share any of this info after at least 2 or 3 or the regular head repair guys here basically ripped into me. That's not how you ask for someones advice or help.
You were only "ripped" after you claimed you invented the repair. Which is false.

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMGo ahead and post some whitty coments now about how I am in the wrong. I know that will be comming next. It always does here.                                                                              
The amount of deceptive shenanigans that you have been pulling and the fact that you just got called out on it really trumps any witty comment I could make... Creating alternate userids? C'mon man. Grow up.

* I nominate this thread for the hall of shame.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMIt's because of all the drama that comes from these forums. I have seen this same crap done to other new members from time to time and it's outright disgusting.
LOL, ever asked yourself of what could be the root cause of all those dramas?

Think, Chris. Think!
IMG

Trevpwnsnoobs

I think we need to send this guy back to alpha zones  :wink:
(20:45:58) Tatsujin: WARNING! WARNING! A HUGE OBEYANCE "PC ENGINE" IS APPROACHING FAST!

thesteve

with no bolt bombs

OldMan

So many things I'd like to say, but I'll leave it at this....

QuoteI felt no need to contribute any info on my cd rom fix especially to the people who were rude to me in the first place(who seem to be the same ones who keep asking me about it).
I'm sorry. I wasn't aware I'd been rude to you. Text is emotionally nuetral, and I did not mean to be.
And fwiw, I wasn't asking about the actual repair. Chop5 covered that already. I just want to know
where the gears come from. I have a unit here I'd like to repair myself. I just can't find the parts.

And blue, I'm waiting patiently. When you have it all together, I'll be one of the first.
Fwiw, the unit you sent Arkhan works great :) (It was for me, to test Pyramid Plunder on)

I do, however, agree with this:

QuoteC'mon man. Grow up.

Keith Courage

Don't worry about it TheOldMan. It wasn't you. I am not going to spout off names cause that would just create even more drama. I'd be happy to mail you a gear. Check your personal messages.

BlueBMW

I've never tried to be rude.  I know I was reluctant to even say anything on this matter just because that's not what I like to do.  I had hoped my post came across as frustrated but inviting.  Id rather you be part of the team than gone completely.  So if I've come across as rude or mean in the past I apologize.  The part that got me the most worked up was the deception.  It wasn't necessary.

Sparky

Quote from: BlueBMW on 06/28/2011, 02:37 PMI've never tried to be rude.  I know I was reluctant to even say anything on this matter just because that's not what I like to do.  I had hoped my post came across as frustrated but inviting.  Id rather you be part of the team than gone completely.  So if I've come across as rude or mean in the past I apologize.  The part that got me the most worked up was the deception.  It wasn't necessary.
Beamer you have nothing to apologies about, you were fair with what you posted and asked.

This is not a big overpopulated forum where no one cares what you do,sell or say.... People confuse drama here with people actually giving a shit, whether its about others or themselves, they say it like it is and i would have that over not saying anything at all.

kattare

Keith/Chris, you could pretty easily put this all to rest if you write up a howto or something.

I honestly don't think anyone is going to undercut your ebay sales because...

Quote from: blueraven on 06/28/2011, 04:30 AM
Quote from: Keith Courage on 06/28/2011, 03:53 AMAfter basically being treated like piss the first time around I felt no need to contribute any info on my cd rom fix especially to the people who were rude to me in the first place(who seem to be the same ones who keep asking me about it).
No one was initially rude to you, it was only after we found out you were gouging and then lying about it.
... I'm fairly certain that anyone that does the math ($55 minus $ebay minus $paypal minus $parts = $shit/hr) is not going to want to compete.  Definitely doesn't qualify as gouging unless peeps are expecting you to work for free.

Instead of taking the easy way out, turn this into an opportunity.  Lemons into lemonade, right?

BlueBMW

Thats what Id like to see.  Work with us.  I can put the past to rest and hopefully some of the others can too.

Keith Courage

Oh, I'm not worried about a cut in ebay sales. This is a side hobby for me and I'm sure there are those out there who would rather pay someone than do the worl themselves. The original accusation months ago was that I stole someone else's idea and that there was no way I could have thought of it up on my own and believe me it was said in such a plain and simple matter. I'm just gonna lay low from this place for a bit. I'll get in here and write up a good how to once everything from this has calmed down a bit.