The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Best 16-bit Console

Started by PukeSter, 09/08/2014, 05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite 16-bit Console? Includes peripherals for each system

PC Engine
52 (65.8%)
SNES
30 (38%)
Neo Geo
9 (11.4%)
Genesis
19 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 79

PukeSter

The score will be settled.  :evil:

Two votes are allowed, as you may love two consoles equally, like myself with the PCE and SNES.

PunkCryborg

o.pwuaioc

Oops, didn't notice that two votes were allowed.

PunkCryborg

WTF 3 votes for SNES and it's already in the lead, you SNERDS on the forum suck

Opethian

if neogeo is considered 16 bit  then PCE is 8 bit
IMG

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

csgx1

One and only PC Engine!

tggodfrey

PCE is only 8 bit......
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

NecroPhile

These threads are like Magical Chase threads: we need a new one every week or two.

glazball

glazball's game collection and wantlist

jtucci31

Define "16 bit" since the Neo Geo is on that last

Medic_wheat

I dobt get it they only have two 16 bit systems listed and no nullys package.

DeshDildo

What the hell is wrong with you people!?  The pecking order is PCE/TG > Genesis >>>>> SNES.  I only play SNES when I'm bored with and or don't have a new game for my TG, Genesis or NES.  If you don't agree than I'll see your ass in Fighting Street or one of these similar threads that gets created tomorrow.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

Dicer

PCE>Snes>NeoGeo>Genesis

Why PCE?
Best library of shmups, plenty of good platformers/RPG's, quirky titles...just awesome all around

Snes: Rpg's a plenty, and some fantastic platformers....shmups were lackluster for the most part.

Neo-Geo: Awesome but limited due to cost, and not enough shmups too many fighters.

Genesis: Shitty color palette, tin-can sound...otherwise a solid library. Just hurt by the aforementioned limitations.

Edit: a Nod to the Amiga, not a "console" but a bad ass machine none-the-less...

CrackTiger

Quote from: Dicer on 09/08/2014, 09:55 PMPCE>Snes>NeoGeo>Genesis

Why PCE?
Best library of shmups, plenty of good platformers/RPG's, quirky titles...just awesome all around

Snes: Rpg's a plenty, and some fantastic platformers....shmups were lackluster for the most part.

Neo-Geo: Awesome but limited due to cost, and not enough shmups too many fighters.

Genesis: Shitty color palette, tin-can sound...otherwise a solid library. Just hurt by the aforementioned limitations.

Edit: a Nod to the Amiga, not a "console" but a bad ass machine none-the-less...
Bad ass 1-button gameplay?

The Genesis has the same palette to pick from as the PCE and games look great in good hands and often even in bad hands. The sound is as good as it gets for video games.

If you want to use sound as a detrimental factor, then the SNES has aged terribly.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Dicer

Quote from: guest on 09/08/2014, 10:37 PM

Why PCE?

The Genesis has the same palette to pick from as the PCE and games look great in good hands and often even in bad hands. The sound is as good as it gets for video games.

If you want to use sound as a detrimental factor, then the SNES has aged terribly.
Oh snap, an Amiga dig...

Snes sound aged? Bwhahahaha

Snes had and still has godly sound, Genny sounds like a cheap Casio keyboard inside a trash can.

And colors on screen, not to choose from...

cr8zykuban0

pc engine and neo all the way!!

SuperDeadite

If people are throwing the Amiha in there, the X68000 should be added, which is clearly number 2 behind PCE.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Mishran

I want to vote for all four. They all have their pros and cons and all have their share of good and bad games, but I love 'em all!

But... I still play my classics in RF and composite, so what do I know. :-k

xcrement5x

I just tell myself that they are all opinions and not based in fact and the poll is okay.  I personally think the Genesis is better than the SNES for many many things despite the color limitations.  The fact Sega didn't have to essentially add new hardware to the carts themselves like the SNES and still got comparable results is pretty telling to me. 

NecroPhile

Quote from: CrackTiger on 09/08/2014, 10:37 PMThe Genesis has the same palette to pick from as the PCE...
.... except half of the colors are brown.  :mrgreen:

CrackTiger

Quote from: Dicer on 09/08/2014, 11:05 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 09/08/2014, 10:37 PM

Why PCE?

Oh snap, an Amiga dig...

Snes sound aged? Bwhahahaha

Snes had and still has godly sound, Genny sounds like a cheap Casio keyboard inside a trash can.

And colors on screen, not to choose from...
You may be confused, since there are so many similar threads like this right now, but this particular one isn't under Fighting Street.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Psycho Punch

Did you know: The turbografx-16, despite the name, had only a 8 bit microprocessor.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 09/09/2014, 02:14 PMDid you know: The turbografx-16, despite the name, had only a 8 bit microprocessor.
The name isn't "TurboProcessr-16", despite how fast it is. What were you expecting?

Did you know: The Genesis, despite the name, was not the first video game system.

Did you know: The Super NES, despite the name, had a microprocessor only as fast as the Sega Master System's, and even then only at the SNES's top speed.

o.pwuaioc

To add to that, the Intellivision had a 16-bit processor, making it clearly superior to the lowly TurboProssessr-8.

ctophil

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 01:15 PMI just tell myself that they are all opinions and not based in fact and the poll is okay.  I personally think the Genesis is better than the SNES for many many things despite the color limitations.  The fact Sega didn't have to essentially add new hardware to the carts themselves like the SNES and still got comparable results is pretty telling to me.
Actually, Sega did add hardware to Sega Genesis carts.  It was called the SVP chip or Sega Virtua Processor.  Virtua Racing had the chip and was planned for Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA.  Although, the later games were upgraded to the Sega Saturn instead.  The SVP chip was the direct competitor to Nintendo's Super FX chip used in Star Fox.

NecroPhile

Duh.  The point is the Genny has a whopping one game that used such a chip, whereas the SNES has dozens of different add-on processors in dozens (hundreds?) of titles.

CrackTiger

Actually, Sega did add hardware to a Sega Genesis cart.

This is after the SMS outperformed hundreds of chipped NES games without ever resorting to selling extra chips in carts.

The PCE, PSX and Saturn never needed the base hardware upgraded either, but the N64 received the ram upgrade.

Even the Wii's lone selling feature/gimmick performed so poorly than it needed an upgrade.

ctophil

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 04:08 PMDuh.  The point is the Genny has a whopping one game that used such a chip, whereas the SNES has dozens of different add-on processors in dozens (hundreds?) of titles.
That is true.  Here is a list of add-on chips for the SNES on Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

At the bottom of that article, it listed all the games that had these processors added to their carts.  I counted them, and they total to 66 games.  I took out the 4 games that were cancelled. 

ctophil

So, I voted for the PC Engine and SNES.  Although, it seems to be a pretty biased vote for PC Engine, since this is the forum dedicated to that console.  I have to say, myself, that the SNES is the best 16-bit console of that era due to its large volume of games, superior graphics & sound, and the largest and best RPG game selection ever.  The only comparable sound chip to the SNES was the Neo Geo.  But even then, the SNES reigns supreme.

VestCunt

OP - TWO votes? What the fuck, you can't make up your mind or something? It should be something like this:
Option #1: HE System
Option #2: CD-ROM2 System

or maybe:
1) TurboGrafx
2) SuperGrafx
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

I love CrackTiger, but I have to VIOLENTLY DISAGREE about the MegaDrive/Genesis tunes.

There are (at minimum) two factors involved when evaluating a console's musical oeuvre:
(1) the compositions/arrangements themselves (I didn't want to split this into two separate categories, but it probably should have)
(2) how the hardware pumps out the tunes (FM synth, PSG, etc)

Both categories are quite subjective, but I don't think Genesis shines particularly bright in either category. I think the second category is Genny's weakest area...I have never been particularly fond of it.

You can laugh, but Genny's sound is often cold, sterile, grating. It is harsh.

Obviously I love Genny/MegaDrive as a platform, tons of amazing games I love, but judging from tunes alone...I was often disappointed (back in the day, and still today).

SORRY.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DeshDildo

Quote from: esteban on 09/09/2014, 05:57 PMI love CrackTiger, but I have to VIOLENTLY DISAGREE about the MegaDrive/Genesis tunes.

There are (at minimum) two factors involved when evaluating a console's musical oeuvre:
(1) the compositions/arrangements themselves (I didn't want to split this into two separate categories, but it probably should have)

Both categories are quite subjective, but I don't think Genesis shines particularly bright in either category. I think the second category is Genny's weakest area...I have never been particularly fond of it.

Obviously I love Genny/MegaDrive as a platform, tons of amazing games I love, but judging from tunes alone...I was often disappointed (back in the day, and still today).

SORRY.
Agreed, but then you have shining examples of what the Genesis could really do in games like Streets of Rage 2 and the Road Rash Trilogy.

Even with The Genesis/MD having the worst sound of the 16-bit era, I still enjoy it more as a whole than the SNES.

For example, I owned only a Genesis in the 16-bit era.  I loved it and still do and still find games I love that I had never played before.  I bought my own SNES years after the fact (around 2002 or so).  There are certainly some games I enjoy and play on the SNES but, just don't have that attachment to it like I did with the Genesis.  At first I thought it was because of emotional/ nostalgic feelings.  However, many more years later (2012), I decided that before the world ended I should at least see what this TurboGrafx thing was all about.  Wow!  Was I ever blown away.  Now, the NEC hardware holds a much higher place in my heart than that of the Genesis or SNES.  This proves that for me personally, the SNES just doesn't do it.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

CrackTiger

Quote from: esteban on 09/09/2014, 05:57 PMI love Black_Tiger, but I have to VIOLENTLY DISAGREE about the MegaDrive/Genesis tunes.

SORRY.
The Genesis sound really is all over the place from game to game, the same as PCE sound. Same with composition. But I think that if you heard more of the good stuff, you'd appreciate the sound (like anything else) for the best examples, not the poorer ones. It's a huge library and even though I find issues with the music in most games (same with PCE), the sound itself is amazing when used effectively.

Digi.k

if NEC released Street Fighter 'II black belt earlier in the pc engine's life I just wonder how many other game companies would have taken advantage of the 20 mbits of data chips for; graphics, coding trickery and sound samples for the hucards yada yada yada....

Certainly when Konami released Parodius DA!? on 8mbit one the first game companies to do this, other game companies jumped on it; Human, Hudson Soft, Studio S, NEC home electronics.

Anyway I voted the pc engine 1st since it was my first console that introduced me to grey importing and having arcade quality graphics for the home and I loved it !  and I love the later on sound samples that these companies where using in their games.  Plus the introduction to the CD-rom add on I fell in love with Wonderboy III monster lair and Ys book I & II.

I enjoyed the genesis somewhat (Revenge of shinobi, Shining Force games were my fave) but I place it 3rd behind the SNES (which just had the best 16-bit J-RPGs and when Square was imo the best japanese RPG games company).

NEO GEO was just too expensive

Opethian

too many snes apologists here

enjoy your echo and reverb

PCE 4 lyfe
IMG

ToyMachine78

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 02:14 PMDid you know: The turbografx-16, despite the name, had only a 8 bit microprocessor.
I know! PCE  relies on the same funny math as the Jaguar! Lol

Psycho Punch

Quote from: CrackTiger on 09/09/2014, 02:23 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 09/09/2014, 02:14 PMDid you know: The turbografx-16, despite the name, had only a 8 bit microprocessor.
The name isn't "TurboProcessr-16", despite how fast it is. What were you expecting?

Did you know: The Genesis, despite the name, was not the first video game system.

Did you know: The Super NES, despite the name, had a microprocessor only as fast as the Sega Master System's, and even then only at the SNES's top speed.
:lol:
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/09/2014, 06:38 PMThe Genesis sound really is all over the place from game to game, the same as PCE sound. Same with composition. But I think that if you heard more of the good stuff, you'd appreciate the sound (like anything else) for the best examples, not the poorer ones. It's a huge library and even though I find issues with the music in most games (same with PCE), the sound itself is amazing when used effectively.
I agree that some games offer absolutely stellar tunes,  :pcgs:  but sadly, it is the exception, not the rule, IMHO. Let's chalk it up to personal preferences...I have never been a fan of MD's/Genny's FM synth guitar, for example. It just annoys me, IN GENERAL. Not all games, of course...that would be silly. But a lot of games just irk me with lame (my judgement) FM synth guitar. Or even if it is a sampled guitar...it doesn't matter, I'm just not a fan of bad guitar. I'd much rather have a synth replace the lead guitar...again, this is just my quirk.

I happen to like cheesy synths used in 80's/90's music, so I like the "Telenet House Band" sound...well, our very own Paranoia Dragon has often stated that he really dislikes these synths...to the point where he doesn't want to listen. I understand where he's coming from, but I feel he's missing out.

Similarly, I agree with you, I'm probably not appreciating all the music the MD/Genny has to offer because of my pet peeves. I can't deny it.

I've listen to a few hundred MD/Genny soundtracks, though, and I don't think my overall judgement on the MD/Genny is going to change. IMG

Quote from: Desh on 09/09/2014, 06:19 PMAgreed, but then you have shining examples of what the Genesis could really do in games like Streets of Rage 2 and the Road Rash Trilogy.

Even with The Genesis/MD having the worst sound of the 16-bit era, I still enjoy it more as a whole than the SNES.

For example, I owned only a Genesis in the 16-bit era.  I loved it and still do and still find games I love that I had never played before.  I bought my own SNES years after the fact (around 2002 or so).  There are certainly some games I enjoy and play on the SNES but, just don't have that attachment to it like I did with the Genesis.  At first I thought it was because of emotional/ nostalgic feelings.  However, many more years later (2012), I decided that before the world ended I should at least see what this TurboGrafx thing was all about.  Wow!  Was I ever blown away.  Now, the NEC hardware holds a much higher place in my heart than that of the Genesis or SNES.  This proves that for me personally, the SNES just doesn't do it.
I agree that some soundtracks are absolute fu&cking amazing on MD/Genny. All the SoR, IMHO, belong in the "splendid" category.  :pcgs:

Personally I think the SNES (vs. Genesis) has a much larger library of music that I would still listen to, now. Of course, I have a critique of SNES tunes, too. I won't get into the details now, but I want to be clear that the SNES is not without sin, either. Just slightly less sin than the Genny, that's all.

Remember, I'm factoring in two things: (1) memorable compositions and (2) how hardware spits those tunes out.

For the record, a lot of arcade games do not particularly impress me when the tunes are listened in isolation. I never realized this in the past because I was actively playing games to hear the music, but it is impossible to fully listen to the music when sound effects and challenges distract you. A lot of music is totally appropriate as background music to help establish the mood of a stage....it never was intended to be listened to as a stand-alone piece of music. Akin to a movie soundtrack, a lot of video game music is (was) truly "background music", purposefully composed to be part of the "supporting cast" but never intended to take center-stage. I don't expect all games to take center-stage, but I love when a soundtrack can stand on its own, apart from the game.

BOTTOM LINE: I hear you  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Digi.k

Quote from: Opethian on 09/09/2014, 08:58 PMtoo many snes apologists here

enjoy your echo and reverb

PCE 4 lyfe
Special thanks should goto to Sony for making that sound chip........

IMG

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: guest on 09/08/2014, 10:37 PMThe Genesis has the same palette to pick from as the PCE and games look great in good hands and often even in bad hands. The sound is as good as it gets for video games.

The Genesis sound really is all over the place from game to game, the same as PCE sound. Same with composition. But I think that if you heard more of the good stuff, you'd appreciate the sound (like anything else) for the best examples, not the poorer ones. It's a huge library and even though I find issues with the music in most games (same with PCE), the sound itself is amazing when used effectively.
IMG

Just a like to one of my favorite MD songs, so clear and fantastical the SNES wishes it could do something this clear.
Apples to Apples Comparison you ask?

Genesis
SNES
Not even close in terms of actual sound and quality.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

reson8er

Personally PCE>GEN>>>SNES>NEO

I think the the SNES has a lot of great games, but less that appeal to me then the PCE and GEN. 

As far as sound goes, it really depends on the game, some Genesis games sound god awful, but the fact that SNES used that echo/reverb effect so damn often probably annoys me more in the long run.

MrFlutterPie

Clearly the Atari Lynx is the best 16 bit system! :dance:

After that the SNES is clearly the  best :-" :mrgreen:

TR0N

Voted but i like them all equally for what they offer so what ever.....
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

BigusSchmuck

Intellivision. It needs some loving badly. :)

o.pwuaioc

BigusSchmuck

EvilEvoIX

In terms of value it's the Sega Genesis by a mile.  You can get a system for $10, "A" list games for $5, and they are almost all pretty common and have their cases.  All the other systems get stupid expensive, the Genesis by far the best bang for the buck.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

vexcollects

Quote from: MrFlutterPie on 09/10/2014, 06:09 PMClearly the Atari Lynx is the best 16 bit system! :dance:
I was totally gonna say the same thing.

MrFulci

Turbo Grafx 16 wasn't on the list, so I voted for something else. PC Engine wasn't what I originally bought, it was a Turbo Grafx 16. :) Had PC Engine stayed only in Japan, who knows when I would have played any of those games, if at all? I may have seen it as, "That Japanese game system with all the shooters.".
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".