10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS4 & Vita

Started by ParanoiaDragon, 12/16/2015, 01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

Yep, the retranslation was headed up by Alan Costa, the guy you might've seen next to Falcom's president acting as interpreter last summer at all those events when he visited the US.

They have an update blog which just reported they finished rewriting the script 100% and now need to get the voice actors to return for recording.

https://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-localization-update-0

ParanoiaDragon

Now that my wife has beat the game, & I'm getting near the end!  Oh well, maybe someyear I'll play thru it again, it's a looooong game, especially for Ys.  Really stinkin' fun, wife didn't want the game to end!
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: turboswimbz on 11/10/2017, 07:26 PMEhhh I kinda think it was blown a little out of proportion.  Most people seem to think the script wasn't that bad. 
Yes and no.  A machine translated game is perfectly playable and far better than nothing, but Ys deserves better, especially when they're being paid well to do the job.  Apparently Falcom agrees, as it's them that pushed for the retranslation; NISA would've gladly saved the money and kept the half-assed work they're known for and proud of.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2017, 10:14 AM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 11/10/2017, 07:26 PMEhhh I kinda think it was blown a little out of proportion.  Most people seem to think the script wasn't that bad. 
Yes and no.  A machine translated game is perfectly playable and far better than nothing, but Ys deserves better, especially when they're being paid well to do the job.  Apparently Falcom agrees, as it's them that pushed for the retranslation; NISA would've gladly saved the money and kept the half-assed work they're known for and proud of.
Agreed!!!  They didn't fuck up any worse than normal, and the game was playable.   Should it have been better? Yes.  What I was specifically referring to was that I don't understand why people are taking this like they were personally wronged.   

I am personally glad to see Falcom pushing for a better game. I hope I get to play through this sometime early in 2018 though.  Seems like the response to the game-play and story are overwhelmingly positive.  Falcom games are some of the few games I get excited play these days...
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NecroPhile

I think most of the peeps taking it personally are because of the PC pre-order.  They kept taking orders up to a few hours before launch, knowing full well that it wasn't even close to ready and having no intention of filling those orders for months to come, then keeping mum on progress for a month before admitting how much they'd fucked up.  That's not how you treat customers.

I'm also happy that it's such a good game, even with NISA doing their best to fuck it up.  Falcom knows how to make some great stuff.

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 11/13/2017, 01:01 PMI think... That's not how you treat customers.
Well I get that since I pre-ordered it hours before the announcement it was being held up.  This is why I rarely pre-order things. I guess I am just kinda forgiving not willing to get upset for the fact that I don't trust any company and expect most of them to try to screw people over for a profit.

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

seieienbu

I finally got around to starting this game.  I'm playing it on PS4 and I'm about 3 bosses in.  I like it more than I liked Ys 7 (never played the 4 remake) but I'm enjoying it substantially less than I liked 6 and Felghana.  Either way, I'm looking forward to getting some more time with it this weekend.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NightWolve

Hm, I think you should wait for the re-translation patch since it's right around the corner and not spoil the experience. You may not feel like playing it a second time after its release if you finish it now under the inferior translation.

seieienbu

I guess I can put it off a little bit longer. :lol:

Is the original translation really that bad?

turboswimbz

Quote from: seieienbu on 11/16/2017, 04:25 PMI guess I can put it off a little bit longer. :lol:

Is the original translation really that bad?
The best review I read went something like this:

It's a machine direct translate and that's about it. Leaving most of the "emotion of dialogue"  out of the translation, thus hurting the story and making it feel odd and bland in several spots.

NecroPhile

A cute sample from NISA's Ys VIII revision blog, which they've stopped updating.  The last post was 12/21 when they said they'd skip a week for the holidays and be back on 1/4, but nothing yet.

Johnpv

I saw on another board that they announced the patch and the PC version are supposedly both coming on January 30th.

jlued686

Nintendo just announced that it's coming to Switch this summer.

NecroPhile

I saw that.  I think the Switch is an overpriced POS, but kudos to Falcom for sticking it to the Sony asshats.

xcrement5x

I wonder if that means NISA will make more limited editions for the Switch release then.

Sarumaru

Quote from: guest on 01/11/2018, 12:28 PMI wonder if that means NISA will make more limited editions for the Switch release then.
The website lists a limited edition of Dana for the Switch;

https://store.nisamerica.com/games/nintendo-switch/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-limited-edition-switch

seieienbu

I'm glad to see the translation patch got a date.  It looks like I'll be back playing Ys 8 in about 3 weeks.

As for the switch version?  I don't exactly see the point so I'm not really worried about it.  If there are Ys fans out there that own neither a Vita, a PS4, or a PC then good for them I guess?  It's definitely still not enough to get me interested in getting a switch.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Ð…arumaru on 01/11/2018, 12:42 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/11/2018, 12:28 PMI wonder if that means NISA will make more limited editions for the Switch release then.
The website lists a limited edition of Dana for the Switch;

https://store.nisamerica.com/games/nintendo-switch/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-limited-edition-switch
I JUST got the PS Vita version too... Jesus Christ!!

Guess I'm buying a second copy for Switch.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gredler

I for one am super stoked that this is being ported to switch. I know it's expensive for what it is (the system and accessories) but for me the functionality seems tailor fit to my lifestyle. I play off screen 70% of the time, but also have decent enough TVs that when I am able I prefer to play on the a TV.

I almost bought both the Vita and PS4 versions so I could have this functionality, and the combination of those systems is more than a Switch for the same functionality with only needing to purchase one copy of the game. The functionality is actually slightly better, since my Vita is on an old firmware and I don't want to update it, I would not be able to easily transfer the saves. Even with the fastest official Playstation functionality the switch is much more convenient and quick then shutting the game down, transferring saves, and reloading the game.

I know I should support the company and buy all 3, but I can't justify that, so this is a great option for me!

After the disappointing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 I am super stoked to know there's a grind of JRPG in my near future, besides the upcoming Octopath Traveler which is very odd looking but overly traditionally playing.

seieienbu

I guess I see the market definitely exists after all!  Enjoy Ys on the switch, gentlemen.

Digi.k

Looks like y's Viii is coming to the switch later this year

jlued686

Quote from: Digi.k on 01/11/2018, 06:49 PMLooks like y's Viii is coming to the switch later this year
Thanks for the hot scoop. ;)

TR0N

I never did get around buying Ys VIII for the PS4.I may just buy it for switch then for that portability,letting me play the game any where.I did watch the nintendo direct earlier and it was a surprise,Ys VIII was getting a switch port.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Gypsy

Guys did you know YS VIII is getting a Switch port?  :lol:

NecroPhile

No!  When did this get announced?!?

In related news, did you know skeletons go chicka-chicka-chicka?  :mrgreen:(sorry, that never gets old for me)

Flare65

I have it on Vita.  I'll probably pick it up on Switch so I can play through it again on on a normal sized TV, but with all the other games in my backlog, I'll be buying this one used in about a year or two...  No rush on my end.

Gypsy

Now that the patch is coming soon I'm going to grab it for PS4. It should hold me over nicely for my modern gaming fix until Yakuza 6 comes out.

xcrement5x

A friend mentioned to me that this means the Switch version will also probably ship with the updated voice/translations patch that's coming out January 30th, making it the definitive version as well. Ughhhh

And the NISA LE is similar but has some different stuff I guess, no bookends or poster but you get a letter opener!

Gypsy

They really should release a patched PS4 disc and offer replacement discs (where you have to send in your old disc) but that's not gonna happen.

Gredler

I think it's worth noting the difference in visual quality and framerate between the various versions of Dragon Quest builders; the PS4 version is definitely the best, the vita version is a major downgrade with a worse framerate and much blurrier everything, and the switch version is so far a significant visual improvement over the Vita version running at a much higher framerate with much crispier visuals.

The Switch version of Ys8 could easily be the definitive portable version with a acceptable docked mode from the available hardware. Again, looking forward to it!

seieienbu

A friend of mine was playing Ys 8 on a PS4 Pro on 4K.  It played at a super smooth 60 fps.  I'm curious if the Switch has any support for 4K yet?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Gredler on 01/12/2018, 04:16 PMI think it's worth noting the difference in visual quality and framerate between the various versions of Dragon Quest builders; the PS4 version is definitely the best, the vita version is a major downgrade with a worse framerate and much blurrier everything, and the switch version is so far a significant visual improvement over the Vita version running at a much higher framerate with much crispier visuals.

The Switch version of Ys8 could easily be the definitive portable version with a acceptable docked mode from the available hardware. Again, looking forward to it!
Uh, no.  I'd expect it to look better than the Vita version, at the very least running at a higher resolution, but it won't be superior to Ys VIII on PS4, PS4 Pro, or PC.

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 01/12/2018, 04:45 PMUh, no.  I'd expect it to look better than the Vita version, at the very least running at a higher resolution, but it won't be superior to Ys VIII on PS4, PS4 Pro, or PC.
Correct, it will not render in 4k ever on switch. I wonder if any of the textures and or models were made with 4k in mind, or if it just renders at 4k with the same assets. Either way, must look bad ass! :)

Johnpv

So the PC version got delayed again, it seems that there were some calls being made that are on PS4 hardware but not found elsewhere.   Which I guess was causing framerate issues, so they've delayed the PC version and are handing it off to a different studio to finish the porting it seems.  The translation patch will still be out on the 30th.  Hopefully this means that all of this stuff is caught and the Switch version doesn't suffer from any of this.

turboswimbz

Quote from: Johnpv on 01/21/2018, 05:01 PMSo the PC version got delayed again, it seems that there were some calls being made that are on PS4 hardware but not found elsewhere.   Which I guess was causing framerate issues, so they've delayed the PC version and are handing it off to a different studio to finish the porting it seems.  The translation patch will still be out on the 30th.  Hopefully this means that all of this stuff is caught and the Switch version doesn't suffer from any of this.
I'm kinda getting tired of waiting for the PC version, may get a refund and use it as reason to get the switch.

NecroPhile

And they've still not updated their blog, which they started in an effort to be transparent and keep customers in the loop.  :lol:

What a shit company.  I hope Falcom never gives them anything else, as they've fully demonstrated that they're wildly incompetent and can't deliver what they promise.

xcrement5x

Yeah, I was comparing the Switch LE to the PS4/Vita one and it really is a ripoff. 

For the same price you get:
NO Acrylic Bookends
NO Cloth Poster (33" x 40")
NO Steelbook Collector's Case

You still get a soundtrack, but it still doesn't look like the full OST since there's no tracklist mentioned and they only show one disc on the mockup. 

A much crappier looking outer box for everything, but your new bonus item is a replica sword letter opener.  which I expect to be made in China and about 5" long. 

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2018, 10:13 AMAnd they've still not updated their blog, which they started in an effort to be transparent and keep customers in the loop.  :lol:

What a shit company.  I hope Falcom never gives them anything else, as they've fully demonstrated that they're wildly incompetent and can't deliver what they promise.
Agreed this is what I think I hate the most, radio silence.  I mean I expect there to be issues, but it's always like a last minute thing, and it's getting quite tiresome.  However, I'm just hoping the payoff is a slightly more enjoyable experience. 

I know Xseed isn't exactly the most class act, but I've never had this issue with their stuff.

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2018, 11:26 AM...comparing the Switch LE to the PS4/Vita one and it really is a ripoff. ..
Agreed, I might be buying this digitally so it's just always on my switch, and then try to snake a PS4/Vita LE down the road if I want the extras.

Quote from: Johnpv on 01/21/2018, 05:01 PMSo the PC version got delayed again, it seems that there were some calls being made that are on PS4 hardware but not found elsewhere.   Which I guess was causing framerate issues, so they've delayed the PC version and are handing it off to a different studio to finish the porting it seems.  The translation patch will still be out on the 30th.  Hopefully this means that all of this stuff is caught and the Switch version doesn't suffer from any of this.
Ah dang yeah the hardware is so different for the switch, I hope they are taking the time to QA the game properly, and we don't end up with a buggy or frame rate mess like Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Digi.k

NecroPhile

Anyone been paying attention to the PC release?  Even though they delayed the hell out of it, the game is still a buggy piece of junk.

NISA sucks.  I hope Falcom blackballs 'em.

geise

I have not played it yet. I want to just finish it on ps4 then get on the pc release. The buggy shit is mostly from people who commented before the patches. There are a good amount of comments from people that have had little to no issues with the game.

NecroPhile

No - the bug comments are since it went live and have been officially acknowledged by NISA as being worked on.  There's problems with the monitor resolutions and vsync, poor frame rates, controller recognition and input errors, object shadows not working correctly, stuttering audio, flickering visuals, text box display problems, and crashing.  Some of 'em have improved in the last two weeks, but they're not all fixed yet and it's pathetic that it was delayed for more than half a year and STILL had so many issues.

Strider77

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/13/2017, 10:14 AM
Was definitely blown out of proportion...

wiseau

They should have just let xseed keep it, NISA has proven again and again that they're never in any danger of giving a single fuck.

NightWolve

Happy Console Johnny having an Ys-gasm per usual, heh. Ys 8 Nintendo Switch love is in the air. :)

Duo_R

I liked his review - but wish he gave more of a pro / con comparison since he had both. Like if you have both systems which would he recommend you buy? I ended up getting the Switch version but I hear it has some frame issues.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

RyuHayabusa

I'm almost done with Ys VIII and must say that I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I've finished every game in the Ys series other than V and it's definitely one of the best in my opinion. I've already gotten the normal ending and now I'm tying up loose ends and finishing the optional stuff for the best ending. The combat is a lot of fun and there is so much to do. I'm somewhere around 55 hours which is far and away the longest Ys game. I'm playing the PS4 version and I highly recommend it to any Ys fan or action rpg fan.