@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

May 2018 Game of the Month

Started by geise, 05/01/2018, 10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geise

ALIEN CRUSH

IMG

The winner is Alien Crush. An excellent pinball game by good ol' Naxat Soft for the Turbo / PCE. Some prefer Devil's Crush, but this is still a fantastic pinball game. I really enjoy the Alien style aesthetic. Alien Crush also makes good use of all the types of pinball items such as the bumpers and flippers. Getting into the bonus rooms for extra items and boss fights can be a challenge, but are great for points. The music is also fantastic. Devil's Crush I like a little better in the music department, but these tunes are still really nice. Well I hope everyone has fun this month. Post some high scores!!!!!!!!!!

roflmao

esteban

Will I spam? No, I can't spam.

Oh, sure I will.
I have wanted to make another parody of "unboxing" videos... but then I say "why bother?" because the real unboxing videos are so ridiculous, they are already parodying themselves.

If I can think of a funny, new angle to poke fun at silly video game culture, I might do it (like boiling a sealed game in its packaging!)

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TheClash603

Esteban needs less Alien Crush and more coasters!

I one time played this game and my ball got stuck in a spot where I glitched max points.  I've mentioned this a few times before, but I have never been able to recreate this glitch.  Time to see if game of the month results in anyone having this success.

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 05/01/2018, 08:03 PMEsteban needs less Alien Crush and more coasters!

I one time played this game and my ball got stuck in a spot where I glitched max points.  I've mentioned this a few times before, but I have never been able to recreate this glitch.  Time to see if game of the month results in anyone having this success.
I have had that happen for a "brief time" (like 20-30 seconds?), but the ball eventually nudged itself out fo the spot.

It's happens to me 2-3 times over the past 3 decades (not often).

OldMan

Quote(like boiling a sealed game in its packaging!)
"Get the most $$ for your old video games with our new home-made resealing machine!
 Looks just like new! All it takes is a vaccuum cleaner, a roll of saran-wrap, and some hot water!
Works Great!"

.... I can see it now....

esteban

Quote from: TheOldMan on 05/01/2018, 08:19 PM
Quote(like boiling a sealed game in its packaging!)
"Get the most $$ for your old video games with our new home-made resealing machine!
 Looks just like new! All it takes is a vaccuum cleaner, a roll of saran-wrap, and some hot water!
Works Great!"

.... I can see it now....
HajAjjajajajajjajajja!

This should be an infomercial/TubeYou channel.

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 05/01/2018, 07:27 PMWill I spam? No, I can't spam.

Oh, sure I will.
I have wanted to make another parody of "unboxing" videos... but then I say "why bother?" because the real unboxing videos are so ridiculous, they are already parodying themselves.
I remember this! Forgot about your army fatigue/camouflage pants though, heh!

Johnpv

You know originally I was going to be like, I suck at pinball games so I don't know if I'm going to jump into this one.  This video though

Quote from: esteban on 05/01/2018, 07:27 PMWill I spam? No, I can't spam.

Oh, sure I will.

If I can think of a funny, new angle to poke fun at silly video game culture, I might do it (like boiling a sealed game in its packaging!)

Well now I just have to play Alien Crush.

crazydean

Well I played it today for a few minutes. My score was something like 1.8 million. I'll try more, later this week. Is one of the boards easier than the other?

I expect everyone who voted for this game to achieve better scores than me.

Edit: I played some this morning and realize now that the option isn't two boards but two music tracks....how bow dah?

Phase

Played five games tonight and got an ok score.

IMG

Will have to play some more soon.

GoldenWheels

Jeez i got to 11 mil and I was happy. I hit maybe 15 bonus rounds...and didn't complete ONE.

IMG

gheebee

I love Devil's Crush but am not a big fan of this one, the table just seems like it doesn't have a lot going on compared to that one and I get bored. It's been a while since I've played this though so I'll try and give it another go soon since it's GOTM.

crazydean

Anyone got some tips on how to do better or get more points? Do I just need to git gud?

ClodBusted

Clear bonus rounds for big points

Phase

Once you have the center post on the lower level its time to go for the extra ball. You want to max out the board and get into the alien mouth. From bottom to top I think there are 5 round lamps then a 7X then a 5000 then 9 eyes.

The center post you get by destroying the 2 sets of 3 aliens that pop up and down toward the top right and left. I can't remember 100% but you have to destroy nine or 3 sets or something.

Damon Plus

One of my fave TG-16 games. It is easy enough to sit back and play relaxed without having to worry about losing your ball too easily (like in Devil's Crush). Graphics are really cool. It's too bad that the bonus stages get annoying quickly.

GoldenWheels

Man, I got up to about 16 mil last night and it felt like it took an hour. Got a couple extra balls and that kept me going for a while. But I gotta say...I was getting bored by the end. This may be the best score I can generate.

And I am just the shits at these bonus rounds. All I seem to get is bad ricochets and dead drops. I'm not sure what is more frustrating, losing a ball on like the second shot in a bonus round or losing the ball with like, two things left to hit to complete the entire round.  :derpcat:

crazydean

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 05/05/2018, 10:08 AMMan, I got up to about 16 mil last night and it felt like it took an hour. Got a couple extra balls and that kept me going for a while. But I gotta say...I was getting bored by the end. This may be the best score I can generate.
This is the biggest reason I'm not playing it much. I play on "fast"; I can't imagine playing on "slow". Overall, I enjoy the game, but it just feels tedious after 20-30 minutes.

GoldenWheels

I know it was kinda voted down or whatever, but maybe it should be Game(s) of the Month. As in, two games of differing types, shooty/pinball, racing/action, whatever. That way we'd have a plan B.

I could be sucking at Hellfire (as I suck at Hellfire) and you guys could be making fun of me. That'd be way more fun.

geise

Quote from: GoldenWheels on 05/06/2018, 11:36 AMI know it was kinda voted down or whatever, but maybe it should be Game(s) of the Month. As in, two games of differing types, shooty/pinball, racing/action, whatever. That way we'd have a plan B.

I could be sucking at Hellfire (as I suck at Hellfire) and you guys could be making fun of me. That'd be way more fun.
Will think about it going forward. Only problem is months that we might have RPG's going on. I guess if it's an RPG and just a quick play shooter or platform game it won't affect much since it's a full month. Plus it could give a nice break into the RPG being played. Some just don't have the time to commit to even an RPG for a full month plus another game. People like me. I might be in the minority though.

Regarding this current GOTM I am happy to see some people playing. I just got back from out of town and will start posting scores soon. When I get better haha!

crazydean

geise

Nice! Hopefully I'll have a forum to post a score tomorrow!

seieienbu

I've probably played more Alien Crush in the last few days than, well, ever.  I feel like it's a good game that's just worse in every way than it's far better sequel.  If I'd played Alien Crush before I'd played Devil's Crush I might think differently.  As it is, I got Devil's Crush as a kid but didn't play Alien Crush until downloading a rom around 2,000.  I didn't own the game until a few years after that.  With all that said, I've gotten a score just shy of 2 million and will likely play again this weekend.

I've gotta admit though, the music to Alien Crush is fantastic.  It's some of the most fitting tunes you'll find in any video game.  It perfectly matches the mood of the game.  It's ominous and creepy and adds a layer of tension to the already somewhat disturbing Giger inspired graphics.  It's somewhat reminiscent of Legendary Axe 2 in that regard.  The only possible complaint you can have towards the soundtrack is about the length and if the worst complaint you have is that you want more of it?  That's not a very big complaint.

Alien Crush remains one of the 3 orange label games I don't have a case for.  I really should break down and buy a set from Sparky to help the OCD collectard in me have a complete row of said orange label games...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

I've kind of wanted to play this but every time I have the time to play anything it ends up being Yakuza 6. :/

seieienbu

I played again and got about 2.5 million.  At the end of the month I'll put my highscore in the highscores thread.  It may very well wind up being 2.5M though as I failed to even break a million several games in a row afterward.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93