10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Low cost Flash Hucard

Started by gameofyou, 03/13/2012, 09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mishran

So if a small menu, similar to the Neo, was made up for this, it could also hold between 2-4 smaller 1 and 4Mbit games couldn't it? Would definitely add to this project's favor. I may have to bite on one myself regardless. Your doing a damn fine job though! =D>

spenoza

I don't think it would work easily. You'd need some sort of mapper chip or to hack all the ROMs.

gameofyou

Could I have a couple people here do me a favor?

thesteve had a couple issues with the PC software & I want to see if runs correctly on another persons PC.  If you have Windows XP, Vista, or 7, and you can download the software from my page:
http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/Flash_HuCard/

Nevermind any of the usb driver stuff, just install the PC software with setup.exe.

You won't be able to do much with it once its running (obviously) without the HuCard, but just check that it runs and you can select a file for download.

It runs fine on my XP machine, but it will be good info to see if a fresh install has any issues.

Thanks!

_Paul

Windows 7 64bit.

Installs and runs OK. Can select a file for download with no issues.

cabbage

I tried it on a laptop running vista. It installed fine, launched, loaded a game, and error+exit when I click to flash. Looking nice :)

gameofyou

^ Thanks much, guys !

NecroPhile

Quote from: cabbage on 05/04/2012, 01:39 PMI tried it on a laptop running vista. It installed fine, launched, loaded a game, and error+exit when I click to flash. Looking nice :)
Same here, except I'm running XP.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Aladar

Win XP 32bit SP3, runs correctly.

thesteve

i wonder why its launching an installer when i start it on mine.
i had the same issue on 2 systems running different windows versions Win2K and WinXP
after i force close the installer it works on the 2K system but didnt find any ports on the XP system

gameofyou

You are installing the software first, right?  Not just running the HuCard_8M.exe, without first having run the setup.exe?  If so, I'm baffled.

thesteve

on xp i ran the setup.exe and it sad it was sucessful
on 2k setup.exe errors out, but hucard_8m works without install

thesteve

tg16 compatibility fixed
i cut the trace to the system reset pin and now it boots every time

grahf

Awesome. Would either of you guys mind posting more pics of the thing? I'm sure everyone would like to see more.

gameofyou

Quote from: thesteve on 05/04/2012, 09:30 PMtg16 compatibility fixed
i cut the trace to the system reset pin and now it boots every time
Great troubleshooting!  This is an easy fix to perform, but I wonder why it doesn't like to be connected to reset?  The reset button was a good idea for a feature, but it looks like it may not be possible on all systems.

gameofyou

Quote from: grahf on 05/05/2012, 01:44 AMAwesome. Would either of you guys mind posting more pics of the thing? I'm sure everyone would like to see more.
What we have right now is just a low-cost prototype.  Wait until you see the production boards....They will be dead sexy.

Bernie

I for one will certainly be getting a couple.  Great way to play those translated roms.  :)  Thanks for all the efforts and work that you guys are putting into this.

burn_654

Yep I'll definitely be getting one - I want to test my (definitely WIP) translation hacking for Momotarou Katsugeki on a real console :)
Quote from: RegalSinYou know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

gameofyou

I have ordered a small amount of production boards.  The lead-time is 3 weeks.  You can get them faster, but it starts to get expensive.  When I get them in, I'll put up some photos of the bare board.  Then I will build one up, test it, and put the photos of the assembled board on my website.  Barring any unforseen circumstances, I plan to open the checkout basket on my page on June 3rd.

PunkCryborg

Wow this is getting exciting! I'm so impressed at all the electronics Mcguyvers we have here.

soop

Quote from: gameofyou on 05/05/2012, 06:14 PMI have ordered a small amount of production boards.  The lead-time is 3 weeks.  You can get them faster, but it starts to get expensive.  When I get them in, I'll put up some photos of the bare board.  Then I will build one up, test it, and put the photos of the assembled board on my website.  Barring any unforseen circumstances, I plan to open the checkout basket on my page on June 3rd.
Hmm, I think I know what I might be getting for my Birthday!

And hey, I totally called it - TheSteve was a perfect choice for testing - I never would have been able to figure out that problem!
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

jasonbar

I just came across this thread & read through all 8 pages of goodness.

I am *very* impressed with the speed & quality of the development. Well done!

Put me down for a pre-order, please--this sort of work should be encouraged & rewarded.

Thanks!
-Jason

gameofyou

Quote from: jasonbar on 05/18/2012, 05:50 PMI just came across this thread & read through all 8 pages of goodness.

I am *very* impressed with the speed & quality of the development. Well done!

Put me down for a pre-order, please--this sort of work should be encouraged & rewarded.

Thanks!
-Jason
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Good news, it looks like they shipped the circuit boards slightly ahead of schedule.  So I should still be able to open orders around the June 4th time-frame.

I will post a photo, when I receive the boards.

spenoza

When you open orders, will you be accepting PayPal payments?

SamIAm

If you'll ship to Japan, please count on setting one aside for me. :)

Bernie

Hell yeah.  Cant wait to get a couple these bad boys.

Nando

gameofyou

Quote from: guest on 05/19/2012, 11:54 PMWhen you open orders, will you be accepting PayPal payments?
Yep.  Paypal, and optionally credit card (through paypal checkout).

gameofyou

Got the production boards today:

IMG

Now I just have to build one and make sure I didn't jack anything up with the new usb connector, or any of the other minor changes I made.

mrhaboobi

sweet looking.. keen to get one :)
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

PikachuWarrior

have you thought about using a microsd card slot (expandable/removeable memory) instead of flash chips, or would that be more expensive?
IMG

Nando

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/23/2012, 07:26 PMhave you thought about using a microsd card slot (expandable/removeable memory) instead of flash chips, or would that be more expensive?
This has always made more sense to me, but the price range could be a killer. Maybe. Or just make the board and let people get their on SD cards.

Great job!

OldMan

SD Cards are serial in nature. The pce is parallel.

To use SD cards, you would have to build 2 serial-parallel circuits (one for adresses, one for data) and a clock circuit running about 8x as fast as the pce. Not to mention the latches and such you would need.

Now you might do it with a compact flash card....Charlie has done that, iirc.

gameofyou

Quote from: PikachuWarrior on 05/23/2012, 07:26 PMhave you thought about using a microsd card slot (expandable/removeable memory) instead of flash chips, or would that be more expensive?
There's a little more to it than that.  Like TheOldMan said, SD cards have a serial interface.  It would require a lot more design (and cost) than what I have done.

Having said that though, maybe I will create a higher cost version HuCard design at some point in the future.  I haven't really thought about it yet.

Bernie

This is fucking amazing.  It looks sweet..  Please hurry so I can send you money..  :)

Frank_fjs

Awesome work, am eagerly watching this thread to see the final product come to fruition. :)

gameofyou

Here's a photo of an assembled board.  I have added a photo to my website, also.

IMG

I have some family commitments next week, so I won't be available to work on this.  But after that, I am going to build up a bunch and then open up orders.

Bernie

Its beautiful...so pretty...

roflmao

grahf

Excellent! Looking forward to ordering one.

Arkhan Asylum

So, what is the estimated cost of one of these going to be now? 

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

Sexy. The cost is going to be sexy, just like the board. If you cannot afford sexy, you need to listen to more Right Said Fred until you can.

turbokon

Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Nando

gameofyou

Quote from: guest on 05/25/2012, 11:53 AMSo, what is the estimated cost of one of these going to be now? 
I'm committing to $45 for the assembled card, even though I've now decided to include the USB cable, too.  The information currently on my website is accurate.  I will determine the cost for the bare board soon.

FiftyQuid

I see you have drivers for Mac OS X.  What about Mac software to download the games?
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

mrhaboobi

Count me in for an assembled one
Looking for (MINT ONLY)
US Manual : Magical Chase, Shockman 
US Box : Turrican,  Soldier Blade, New Adventure Island, Neutopia II
Other : Sapphire OBI, Turbo Play Aug/Sept 90, April/May 92, Turbo Edge Spring 90

PC Engine Special Cards : Bomberman User Battle

Alydnes Super Grafx

gameofyou

Quote from: FiftyQuid on 05/31/2012, 03:21 PMI see you have drivers for Mac OS X.  What about Mac software to download the games?
I have only written software for Windows.  If there are any Mac or Linux programmers out there, I have posted the interface requirements on my web page.  There are USB drivers available for both Linux and Mac.  I will be happy to supply extra information about the software requirements, also.

gameofyou

Ok, I'm back from my trip  :)

I didn't get as far as I wanted to on the assembly, yet.  For the first batch (48 boards) I have microcontrollers soldered down and programmed.  The microcontroller is the most difficult (& time consuming) of the 3 ICs, so I did that first.

IMG

I am planning to complete assembly of as many as I can next weekend, and then open orders late Sunday night (June 10).

If I end up selling out of the first batch, don't worry.  I will order more materials and build more until everyone that wants one, gets one.

FiftyQuid

Am I the only one that is slightly aroused seeing all those PCB's?  :^o
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

Nando

Quote from: gameofyou on 06/03/2012, 09:37 PMOk, I'm back from my trip  :)

I didn't get as far as I wanted to on the assembly, yet.  For the first batch (48 boards) I have microcontrollers soldered down and programmed.  The microcontroller is the most difficult (& time consuming) of the 3 ICs, so I did that first.

IMG

I am planning to complete assembly of as many as I can next weekend, and then open orders late Sunday night (June 10).

If I end up selling out of the first batch, don't worry.  I will order more materials and build more until everyone that wants one, gets one.
Nice work man!