10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

NES classic

Started by dallaspattern, 11/12/2016, 12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

HahahahhahahahHjahaja. 

This thread keeps delivering the 'tainment.

Thanks, comrades.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Bloufo

He looks so proud. I think he's going to adopt it.

i67.tinypic.com/zw0n6c.jpg

HailingTheThings

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/29/2017, 11:07 PM
Quote from: HailingTheThings on 09/29/2017, 07:05 PMWent to a Meijer last night with a friend to buy some Sobe and look at the toy aisle. While walking past the checkout lanes we noticed a line of people. We were like "WTF?" Heard someone say something about waiting for the SNES Classic. I began laughing out loud. Then very loudly said "Why the fuck would anyone want a hunk of fucking shit? Oh wait, Nintendo, right? Ahh hahashahahahaha." People started staring at me. lol
I know, it's weird. Every time I act like a total fucking asshole in public I get nasty looks too. Fucking DICKS.
EXACTLY. THANK YOU!
IMG

turboswimbz

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/29/2017, 11:07 PMIf you can't tell the different between a 3D printed case and something injection molded then how can I trust your opinion on anything?

TLDR: I don't know what TLDR stands for.
I wasn't suggesting the same quality, just that the thing isn't all that special.

How can I trust you if you don't know the difference between different and difference

TDLR:  Being a d*ck is fun. 

TCTRLP: 

IMG
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

SignOfZeta

Seriously, what is with the TDLR thing? Is that like an error code your central processing unit spits out sometimes when you run a program?
IMG

turboswimbz

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/30/2017, 10:39 AMSeriously, what is with the TDLR thing? Is that like an error code your central processing unit spits out sometimes when you run a program?
TLDR
Too Long, Didn't Read

BTW I was just screwing around.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Bloufo

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/30/2017, 10:39 AMSeriously, what is with the TDLR thing?
A quick google search threw up a dept of licensing and regulation. Texas.

Judging by some of the customer feedback, not highly recommended.

"The rudest people you will ever meet, welcome to the 13th circle of hell"

SignOfZeta

Quote from: turboswimbz on 09/30/2017, 11:37 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/30/2017, 10:39 AMSeriously, what is with the TDLR thing? Is that like an error code your central processing unit spits out sometimes when you run a program?
TLDR
Too Long, Didn't Read

BTW I was just screwing around. 
Ah, so it is an error code. Buffer underrun, out of memory, something like that. I hope your operator can get it fixed.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/29/2017, 03:10 PMhttp://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/spend-80-snes-classic-can-install-emulators-raspberry-pi-never-shut-fuck/

Seth Macy September 29, 2017  Hard Drive
Why Spend $80 on an SNES Classic When You Can Install Emulators on a Raspberry Pi and Never Shut the Fuck Up About It?

"Speaking of which, some have said that the SNES Classic's two controllers are an advantage, as if you can't get USB controllers that look exactly the same as SNES controllers. Plus they're only like $10 so when they break after a week they're super easy to replace."

Man, there are home runs and then there are grand slams, this is a grand slam.*

* I think I mean grand slam. I don't know sports. I meant a really good thing in a game, the best thing.
The comment in the comment feed:

"Why buy games at all when you can watch someone else play them on Youtube and save you the hassle of playing them yourself ;-)"

Made me fucking lolol.

Also, The SNES mini is fine.  Buy the stupid thing if you really feel the need to buy a thing you know in your head you really don't actually need because it's a redundant piece of shit.

Just stop posting about it.   If you're only buying it so you can feel like part of the club and post online that you got one, you're a dumbass and should have your internet privileges revoked for being a dumbass.

I am tired of seeing pictures of people's outstretched, hairyman arms holding their SNES mini box with the caption I GOT ONE.     Congrats.   You bought a toy.   Aces.

We know what a box looks like.  It's the same as the one on Amazon, except your goony arm is in the way, and it's a little out of focus unless you were pretentious enough to set it up with lighting, and one of those Olan Mills backdrops.

You know what else we know?

We know what the fucks in one and what opening a box looks like.   Stop making unboxing videos.  Stop posting that you got a thing.   Shut the fuck up and play it.

Unless you got some rare gold plated one with with a StarFox 3 prototype on it, you're just like the other 90239023023 assclowns that got one and won't shut the hell up.

Someone dumped StarFox 2.    That's the only SNES mini posting we actually need.   One person who got the thing did what God intended. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Digi.k

meanwhile in Russia's Comic Con Christopher Lloyd plays some SNES classic

IMG
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

that room looks like Quake.   who decorated it.   burn it
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gredler

I got one and played through star fox, I forgot that game was fun I don't remember the last time I played it. I got through the first level and posted a 95+ score and thought wtf why not might as well keep playing, then andross took my shots to his face, and I finished. Fantastic. Not worth 80$ yet, but having a legal way to play snes at my office desk on my HDTV without upscalers and a bunch of carts and stuff. Will be nice to work though some of these games on lunch breaks

NE146

Quote"Why buy games at all when you can watch someone else play them on Youtube and save you the hassle of playing them yourself ;-)"
I am totally guilty of that in real life..  like, I've beaten Legendary Axe 2 many many times in the past. However it's been decades at this point so I don't really remember most of it. When I got a hankering to see it again I COULD HAVE played it again on my Turbo.. but as I'm just sitting at the computer by default I just start up a youtube longplay video for it, and it kind of satisfies that itch without me having to relearn the game again. lol   

Yeah it's kinda sad. :lol:

LostFlunky

IMG

How a cunt builds a pyramid.

crazydean

There's like a hundred of these things on CL right now. I hope Nintendo makes enough to flood the market and ruin these scalpers. I guess we'll see.

xcrement5x

Quote from: crazydean on 10/03/2017, 03:51 PMThere's like a hundred of these things on CL right now. I hope Nintendo makes enough to flood the market and ruin these scalpers. I guess we'll see.
We'll see in 90 days, I think that's normally the limit to return something to a store right?

Arkhan Asylum

Its tempting to go buy one off CL

and by buy, I mean get their address and shit on their house.

and slash their tires.

johnnykonami

So smug, these scalper pictures.  Really makes you want to see them lose their shirts.  In the meantime, I am trying to play through Super Punch Out!   I have beaten many of the games on it in my childhood - Super Metroid, Zelda III, Castlevania IV, FFIII, Starfox, and I forget which others but I am focusing on titles that I was interested in and didn't really play back then, like SPO and afterwards Super Ghouls n' Ghosts.  I have also only played the beginning of Secret of Mana, that might be next on the to play list.

crazydean

Quote from: johnnykonami on 10/03/2017, 04:22 PMSo smug, these scalper pictures.  Really makes you want to see them lose their shirts.  In the meantime, I am trying to play through Super Punch Out!   I have beaten many of the games on it in my childhood - Super Metroid, Zelda III, Castlevania IV, FFIII, Starfox, and I forget which others but I am focusing on titles that I was interested in and didn't really play back then, like SPO and afterwards Super Ghouls n' Ghosts.  I have also only played the beginning of Secret of Mana, that might be next on the to play list.
Are you playing SPO on the SNES classic? If so, have you noticed any problems with the timing?

turboswimbz

Quote from: crazydean on 10/03/2017, 04:54 PM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 10/03/2017, 04:22 PMSo smug, these scalper pictures.  Really makes you want to see them lose their shirts.  In the meantime, I am trying to play through Super Punch Out!   I have beaten many of the games on it in my childhood - Super Metroid, Zelda III, Castlevania IV, FFIII, Starfox, and I forget which others but I am focusing on titles that I was interested in and didn't really play back then, like SPO and afterwards Super Ghouls n' Ghosts.  I have also only played the beginning of Secret of Mana, that might be next on the to play list.
Are you playing SPO on the SNES classic? If so, have you noticed any problems with the timing?
Here is the thing, and why I need to amend my earlier comments about the SNES classic.  I actually can recommend grabbing it.  it is better than retro pi IMO. with the corded controllers at least on my 1080 TV there is almost no timing or lag.  Even in punch out.  Granted I am not great at SPO.  It's actually quite damn impressive.  I plan to add some games and see if this continues throughout.

I think I've noticed at best only a few moments on Mario Kart and F zero where the timing was off maybe just enough to make me think, was that me or the box? But I can never tell one way or the other. 

Idk maybe Johnny has a different experience but this thing is pretty damn sweet for a plug and play into modern TVs. The picture may not be absolutely perfect but it's still good.

P.S. I am a waffler in the wind

johnnykonami

Quote from: turboswimbz on 10/03/2017, 05:06 PM
Quote from: crazydean on 10/03/2017, 04:54 PMAre you playing SPO on the SNES classic? If so, have you noticed any problems with the timing?
Here is the thing, and why I need to amend my earlier comments about the SNES classic.  I actually can recommend grabbing it.  it is better than retro pi IMO. with the corded controllers at least on my 1080 TV there is almost no timing or lag.  Even in punch out.  Granted I am not great at SPO.  It's actually quite damn impressive.  I plan to add some games and see if this continues throughout.

I think I've noticed at best only a few moments on Mario Kart and F zero where the timing was off maybe just enough to make me think, was that me or the box? But I can never tell one way or the other. 

Idk maybe Johnny has a different experience but this thing is pretty damn sweet for a plug and play into modern TVs. The picture may not be absolutely perfect but it's still good.

P.S. I am a waffler in the wind
Well, I haven't quite figured out if I just suck or if it's some kind of lag, probably the former if I had to wager on it!  Of these games, the one I probably have spent the most time on is Super Metroid, so I'll play through the beginning and let you know if anything feels off.  I don't have any complaints about the video quality, either.  It's a great complete package, complete with stuff like menu music, a demo system, system borders, and all that kinda stuff.  And with a streamlined collection of games so you can just play the damn things rather than be lost deciding what to play for a half an hour.

I'd probably buy a SNES classic 2 with different games if they released it, no qualms at all.  I will also try to get the re-release of the NES classic when that comes out.  I think a TG-16 (especially with some CD games) one would really kill right now given the market, I wonder if Nintendo/Konami could team up to make it happen... they got a couple of Konami games on the SNES, so...

turboswimbz

Quote from: johnnykonami on 10/03/2017, 05:38 PMI wonder if Nintendo/Konami could team up to make it happen... they got a couple of Konami games on the SNES, so...
Hmm i saw a thread on this . . . maybe on facebook?  anyway.  I don't think that is the plan, although it would be cool. Based on some other clones and the general publics optic of the TG16/PCE... I don't know if Konami would be able to pull it off the same way.  I am guessing the recent TG-16 trademark retention in the US was just that, retention to license out the name / stop others from using it without paying Konami.  I mean we know Kanye wanted to use it / was using it as a developmental title.

I am still dreaming of a PCE mini, although the PCE is already mini hahaha

Bloufo

^^
That cardboard shipping box looks in good shape!

PukeSter

Just found an nes classic in my "gamer" roommate's drawer. Barely opened.

He doesn't even play this stuff!

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 10/08/2017, 12:38 AMJust found an nes classic in my "gamer" roommate's drawer. Barely opened.

Does he want to sell?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: PukeSter on 10/08/2017, 12:38 AMJust found an nes classic in my "gamer" roommate's drawer. Barely opened.

looks like you need a new room mate

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 10/08/2017, 12:38 AMJust found an nes classic in my "gamer" roommate's drawer. Barely opened.

Look around, there is probably a pyramid of them piled up nearby.

PukeSter

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 10/09/2017, 07:19 AM
Quote from: PukeSter on 10/08/2017, 12:38 AMJust found an nes classic in my "gamer" roommate's drawer. Barely opened.

I offered him the "friendly bargain" of $5. He didn't budge unfortunately.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: PukeSter on 10/09/2017, 04:24 PM

push him down the stairs

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 10/09/2017, 04:26 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/09/2017, 04:24 PM

push him down the stairs
He doesn't budge!

Gredler

The hack is out to load roms on this little guy, So now I can supplement this thing with a few more games to round it out.

NHPA Hockey 93
NHL 94
NHL 95
NHL 96
NHL 97
NHL 98
Hit The Ice
Brett Hall Hockey
Brett Hall Hockey 95
ESPN National Hockey Night
NHL Stanley Cup
Pro Sport Hockey
Street Hockey 95
Super Slap Shot
Wayne Gretzky and the NHLPA All Stars

crazydean

Quote from: Gredler on 10/10/2017, 02:10 PMThe hack is out to load roms on this little guy, So now I can supplement this thing with a few more games to round it out.

NHPA Hockey 93
NHL 94
NHL 95
NHL 96
NHL 97
NHL 98
Hit The Ice
Brett Hall Hockey
Brett Hall Hockey 95
ESPN National Hockey Night
NHL Stanley Cup
Pro Sport Hockey
Street Hockey 95
Super Slap Shot
Wayne Gretzky and the NHLPA All Stars
You still won't have any puzzle games.

Gredler

lol I hope my shitty joke came across; but my list of games to add to this includes a couple good ones. I'd love to hear lists of games you all would add if you were to hack it. I guess you can add about 170 games to the initial 20?

PukeSter

Quote from: Gredler on 10/10/2017, 02:53 PMlol I hope my shitty joke came across; but my list of games to add to this includes a couple good ones. I'd love to hear lists of games you all would add if you were to hack it. I guess you can add about 170 games to the initial 20?
Sorry Greg, but hockey games stink like the Pittsburgh Penguins's locker room!

Kunio Ice Hockey is pretty fun though, ever try it?

Gredler

Quote from: guest on 10/10/2017, 03:10 PMSorry Greg, but hockey games stink like the Pittsburgh Penguins's locker room!
Kunio Ice Hockey is pretty fun though, ever try it?
I have yet to play it, but I DID pick that up at Super Potato in Japan :)

And you're wrong, the 16 bit hockey games were second only to the Hitz/WayneGretzky's 3d Hockey games.

So much fun, you must be playing vs computers or something because I challenge anyone to show me a more entertaining competitive team sport game.

Luke I think you're in a great position to recommend some obscure games to throw on this thing; what are some infrequently discussed SNES games to toss on this, possibly fan translated games or otherwise?

PukeSter

Quote from: Gredler on 10/10/2017, 03:15 PM
Quote from: PukeSter on 10/10/2017, 03:10 PMLuke I think you're in a great position to recommend some obscure games to throw on this thing; what are some infrequently discussed SNES games to toss on this, possibly fan translated games or otherwise?
I don't know too many snes games outside the classics but I'm still exploring it. Library is a lot larger then the pc engine though it really lacks in the shooties.

Super Bonk 2, Zenki Battle Raiden, Battle Mobile, Ys V, Great Battle V, Kunio (Renegade sequel), Gokujo Parodius, Hammerin Harry, Rendering Ranger, Ninja Warriors, and Shockman Zero are all good shit

For the military madness fans, there's Earth Light (parody version) and another game similar to Front Mision

gheebee

Got an email from Woot.com earlier that said they were going to have some NES Classics for sale as an "appsclusive" (you can only buy them through their app, not on the web page...) tomorrow, Thurs, 11/9. So if you're willing to load some arbitrary bs on your phone, tablet, or whatever to buy something then you might have a shot at getting one. No mention of price.

crazydean

Quote from: gheebee on 11/08/2017, 11:03 PMGot an email from Woot.com earlier that said they were going to have some NES Classics for sale as an "appsclusive" (you can only buy them through their app, not on the web page...) tomorrow, Thurs, 11/9. So if you're willing to load some arbitrary bs on your phone, tablet, or whatever to buy something then you might have a shot at getting one. No mention of price.
There has been an official announcement of more NES Classic's next year. If you've waited this long, it's probably best to keep waiting.

I wonder if the next production run will be different in any way. I hope it is identical so collectards don't buy yet another useless box for their shelf.

gheebee

Quote from: crazydean on 11/09/2017, 01:27 AMThere has been an official announcement of more NES Classic's next year. If you've waited this long, it's probably best to keep waiting.

I wonder if the next production run will be different in any way. I hope it is identical so collectards don't buy yet another useless box for their shelf.
Yeah, I'm only willing to buy one if I can buy it like any other item without having to jump through hoops but this might be worthwhile for those willing to load the app since Woot is a discount site and they might get a good deal or, at the very least, get it now. Then again they could probably charge more than MSRP or bundle it with some other crap they want to move and they would more than likely still sell out so who knows. Pretty curious as to the details of this sale.
I base this on nothing but my own pessimism but I figure that the next iteration will be different in some way and just hope that it still has everything I want when it does get re-released.

xcrement5x

Quote from: gheebee on 11/09/2017, 09:07 AM
Quote from: crazydean on 11/09/2017, 01:27 AMThere has been an official announcement of more NES Classic's next year. If you've waited this long, it's probably best to keep waiting.

Yeah, I'm only willing to buy one if I can buy it like any other item without having to jump through hoops but this might be worthwhile for those willing to load the app since Woot is a discount site and they might get a good deal or, at the very least, get it now. Then again they could probably charge more than MSRP or bundle it with some other crap they want to move and they would more than likely still sell out so who knows. Pretty curious as to the details of this sale.
I base this on nothing but my own pessimism but I figure that the next iteration will be different in some way and just hope that it still has everything I want when it does get re-released.
I was a longtime woot addict and obtained many a bag of crap back in the day, but after the purchase of them by Amazon I feel like their deals are not as good, but there are more of them.  I still browse occasionally though, they are really good for cheap/refub PCs and laptops. 

gheebee

Yeah, years ago I used to check them daily and got a few good deals but after months and months of not seeing anything worthwhile I stopped doing this a few years back.

crazydean

Quote from: gheebee on 11/09/2017, 02:57 PMYeah, years ago I used to check them daily and got a few good deals but after months and months of not seeing anything worthwhile I stopped doing this a few years back.
Did you ever check out the NES Classic deal?

gheebee

Quote from: crazydean on 11/09/2017, 05:49 PMDid you ever check out the NES Classic deal?
Nah, I wasn't going to install the app. I was curious about the price though so I checked the comments on slickdeals and supposedly they were $49.99. As you'd expect they sold out more or less instantly. Wonder how many app uninstalls they got shortly after the sale...

sirhcman

Quote from: gheebee on 11/09/2017, 11:09 PMWonder how many app uninstalls they got shortly after the sale...
At least 1..

Digi.k

will return to stores on June 29! This system and the SNES Classic Edition system are expected to be available through the end of the year

johnnykonami

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/16/2018, 09:30 PM
I am pump!

I got the SNES classic when it came out at TRU, it's pretty cool but like everybody else I have my opinions on what games I'd exchange for what is there.  It's an 80% (as in personally enjoyable) lineup.  My number one game is Super Punch Out, which I still need to finish, and my last place game is SF2 (available on everything, plus I bought the PCE port a while ago which I prefer).

The NES classic will be much the same where the entire library isn't perfect but it's pretty good.  I hope I can nab one on the re-release, it was impossible on the first round to get one (I was screwed over by Amazon.)  TRU may not be around to do the NES Classic (I haven't kept up with TRU news) but I hope they or someone just like them makes it easy to get one.

seieienbu

If I encounter one and can buy it at MSRP I'll likely buy the thing.  Any more effort than that and I'm out.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

johnnykonami

Same here, MSRP or bust.