10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

What games did you beat in 2017?

Started by bartre, 12/23/2017, 11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartre

There's a big presence of "Playing >>>> Collecting" here, so let's back up that talk.
What games did y'all beat this year?
What system?
What'd you think?

For me:
The Bouncer (PS2) - I will never understand the hate this game gets. I love it.
Cave Story (PC) - I totally get how this kinda started the indie game thing, wonderful game
Dark Souls (PC) - Loved it, but still prefer Demon's Souls, and I don't see how Dark Souls 2 was THAT bad.
Dead Rising (360) - I knew the gameplay was fun from when it was first released, and I loved the couple playthroughs I did, but holy cats a 100% playthrough is rough.
Deja Vu (PC) - fun enough, but I doubt I'll go back to it when there's stuff like shadowgate
Doom 2016 (PC) - "That was fucking metal as fuck dude"
Freedom Plantet (PC) - levels were great fun, i hated every boss battle
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death (PC) - great god of war clone with a decent balance of humor v. action
Maximo (PS2) - almost an amazing game, just hindered by some cheap stuff like the ever increasing continue price and some BS enemy placement
Mega Man Legends 2 (PSX) - pretty much perfect, just some BS sections where you just get wrecked as soon as you get hit once
Postal 2 (PC) - just as cathartic as ever. pacifist playthrough was actually a good challenge, but took some fun away
Resident Evil 4 (Wii) - I really loved it until the island, then it got just a little too hard for my liking
Risk of Rain (Vita) - maybe this shouldn't go in here as I'm not sure what you'd call beating the game, but it's been a wonderful timekiller
Shadowgate (PC, macventure) - It's Deja Vu, but literally everything is done better
South Park Stick of Truth (PC) - Super mario RPG + South Park = fun RPG that's not much of a challenge, but the experience is worth it
Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy (PC) - I'm not sure it deserves all the praise it gets, but it was a fun EU romp
Zombie Army Trilogy (PC) - Really good time, makes me want to try the sniper elite games for more

turboswimbz

I finished a bunch of older games I wanted to play all the way through finally - a few replays too

1) Ori and the blind forest - PC (beautiful 2d classic style platformer. one of the best stories in a game)
2) YS i/II - PC and PCE - never finished the remakes and wanted to get all the differences
3) Tales of Symphonia - PC version (cool game, lots of fun, a lot of little things make this epic)
4) Super Mario RPG - SNES (easier but fun)
5) Star Fox - SNES (this hasn't aged well, but it's a good play through)
6) Earth Bound - SNES (god this is long, strange, but overall pretty fun)
7) Act Raiser - SNES (one of my favorite games hands down, the platforming mixed with startegy is a pretty neat element. plus good tunes)
8) Daytona - Saturn  (my favorite arcader on a console.  I love this game, so much charm)
9) Shenmue - Dreamcast  (a bit tedious, but what a great story)
10) Kindom Hearts 2 - PS2 (ughhhh. my least favorite this year. story is good, controls are okay, the sound is good, but the whole FF system thing is a pain, and it drags in spots.  just falls short for me)
11) Hand of Fate - PC (A neat little deck building/RPG/Startegy with hack and slash action scenes. if you can get it for cheap try it)

it was a busy year and I didn't get through 100% as many as I had hoped.  I attempted a bunch more that never got finished.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Gypsy

I was actually logging this for something on another site so this is easy copy/paste for me.

PC Engine - Cyber Core, Download, PC Denjin, PC Genjin 3, Ranma 1/2 - Datō, Ganso Musabetsu Kakutō-ryū!, Ys IV, Outrun, Castlevania Rondo of Blood, Sapphire, Star Parodier, Vigilante
PC-FX - Zeroigar
NES - Super Mario Bros 3
SNES - Super Metroid
N64 - Banjo Kazooie
Gamecube - Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (hard mode)
Wii - Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Wii U - Super Mario 3D World
Genesis - Sonic 2
Sega CD - Snatcher
32x - Doom 32x
Saturn - X-Men vs Street Fighter, Shining Force III, Crows: The Battle Action
Dreamcast - Giga Wing 2
PS1 - Wild Arms
PS2 - Homura, Psyvariar, XII Stag
PS3 -Trails of Cold Steel
PS4 - Caladrius Blaze, Uncharted 4, Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami
Xbox - Dead Man's Hand
Xbox 360 - Bullet Soul, Bullet Soul Infinite Burst
GBA - Castlevania Aria of Sorrow
DS - Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
3DS - Fire Emblem Awakening
PSP - Ys VII
Vita - Memories of Celceta
PC - Red Alert 2, The Witcher

The goal was to beat a game for every system I own which I did. Which is why on some you see an easy filler clear like X-Men vs Street Fighter where I wasn't sure if I'd bother to finish Shining Force III but then I did and another game on top of it. For some systems I didn't do more than shooters but that didn't surprise me too much with some of the time sinks I played. The one where I for sure want to beat something else before the new year is Dreamcast. Really fun overall experience to do and I'm going to try to do it again next year.

NightWolve

Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/24/2017, 12:17 AMI finished a bunch of older games I wanted to play all the way through finally - a few replays too

1) Ori and the blind forest - PC (beautiful 2d classic style platformer. one of the best stories in a game)
2) YS i/II - PC and PCE - never finished the remakes and wanted to get all the differences
3) Tales of Symphonia - PC version (cool game, lots of fun, a lot of little things make this epic)
4) Super Mario RPG - SNES (easier but fun)
5) Star Fox - SNES (this hasn't aged well, but it's a good play through)
6) Earth Bound - SNES (god this is long, strange, but overall pretty fun)
7) Act Raiser - SNES (one of my favorite games hands down, the platforming mixed with startegy is a pretty neat element. plus good tunes)
8) Daytona - Saturn  (my favorite arcader on a console.  I love this game, so much charm)
9) Shenmue - Dreamcast  (a bit tedious, but what a great story)
10) Kindom Hearts 2 - PS2 (ughhhh. my least favorite this year. story is good, controls are okay, the sound is good, but the whole FF system thing is a pain, and it drags in spots.  just falls short for me)
11) Hand of Fate - PC (A neat little deck building/RPG/Startegy with hack and slash action scenes. if you can get it for cheap try it)

it was a busy year and I didn't get through 100% as many as I had hoped.  I attempted a bunch more that never got finished.
Busy year, nice! Can't even add one for myself this year, but 2018 will be an Ys 8 year for sure or I'll resign my account! ;)

@bartre: I liked The Bouncer too, still own it but it's short and felt no replay desire after beating it.

SignOfZeta

Super Robot Wars V Premium Anime Song and Sound edition for Vita, thats it. I'm almost done with the second play through.

I was so happy to learn that the new SRW will be released on Vita. Now I can go another year without wasting my money on some bullshit time vampire console I have zero interest in since this is the only current series I play.
IMG

schweaty

great thread.  this is off the top.  i will have to look at my wii u and ps4 games and update the post later:

Prince of Persia (TG16-CD) - mea culpa:  i never actually beat it.  i can get all the way to the end but i cant make that last jump into your mirror image.  it surprised me how much fun it was.  pro-tip:  if you havent played this yet, read the manual first.

Firewatch (PS4) - one of my first limited run purchases. great, if short, game.  reminded me of point and click adventure pc games.

Inside (PS4) - everyone should play this game.  that is all.

Zelda Spirit Tracks (DS) - great game.  i liked it better than phantom hourglass.  the issues with the stylus control are completely over exaggerated.  i had no problems

Zelda Breath of the Wild (Wii U) - game of the year for me.  that is all

Until Dawn (PS4) - me and the missus had a lot of fun playing thru this on the couch at night

Captain Toad (Wii U) - really liked this.  captain toad was one of my favorite parts on super mario 3d world.  reminded me of old school single screen puzzle games.  liked it so much i 100%'d it.

Little Nightmares (PS4) - in the same vein as Inside with a little more polish.  play it and thank me later.

Zelda Link to the Past (SNES) - ashamed to admit I had never finished this until this year.  started it many times but never stuck with it to the end.  i guess its been a very zeldy year.

Might and Magic III (TG16-CD) - lot of nostalgia for me on this one.  this was my first PC purchase I ever made when we got our first IBM 386 BITD.  i believe it came on 8 3.5" floppys.  really took my time on this game and loved every minute.  totally underrated game that I cant believe doesnt get more discussion around here.  its got a pretty steep learning curve but if you can get past the initial asskicking, its worth it.  as bithead1000 said, "you spend 9 hours making this party then go out into the field and get killed by the first monster"

currently about half way through Metroid Prime 1 (GC).  probably wont finish it by the end of the year.

EDIT:  how could i forget the delicious dragons curse (yeah, you heard me) remake on ps4?

ParanoiaDragon

Off the top o' me head:

Ys 8, friggin' great game!  Wife absolutely loved it as well, even beat it before me!  NW, you'll love it! Played the PS4 version, got as many trophies as humanly possible as well.  I think I'm at like, 95%.  I don't do Nightmare trophies, though, I tried.  I litteraly watched my health drain from simple enemies, it was nuts.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath on Vita, cool game, always wanted to play it.  Literally was one of the few games on Xbox that I wanted if I ever got an Xbox, but never did.

Axiom Vergeon Vita, great Metroidvania, also just got the physical version.

Red Faction HD on PS4, great game, wish someone would make more of these games

Super Exploding Zoo on Vita, fun little game.  Got it free with my PS Plus subscription

Last Alert, Castlevania X, & Lords of Thunder, played it with friends on our designated Retro Game Night we have ever other monday.  They mostly choose NES, SNES or Genesis.  They never great up wtih the Turbob so, I'm edumacating them.

Futuridium EP Deluxe on Vita.  Didn't actually beat it, game gets way past my skills.  I think I made it to Mission 40?

Nova-111 on Vita, neat concept, fun game

Arcania on PS4, kinda like Skyrim & such, it's ok for uber cheap

Adventures of Mana on Vita.  Never played the original, but did play Sword of Mana.  Unless my memory is totally failing me....I prefer Sword of Mana *ducks incoming rotten fruit*.  I know Sword of Mana was glitchy, but, it just seemed more enjoyable for some reason.  That's of coarse keeping in mind that my nostalgia is not with Final Fantasy Adventure, which is interesting.  I wonder if I did play FFA first, if I'd prefer it over SoM?

Ys Origin on PS4, great game, played all scenarios.  Might go back to it to get a few more trophies.

Metal Gear Rising on PS3, meh, it was ok I guess.  It had some interesting ideas.

Wonderboy Dragon's Trap on PS4, great remake of a great game.

Metal Gear Solid 4, great game, play thru it a few times to get some extra trophies.  One of my Retro gaming buddies claims Metal Gear is his favorite series......but hasn't beaten this yet!?  I like to kid him from time to tim eabout it.

Aqua Kitty DX on Vita, neat Defender clone with dope tunes.

Saturday Morning RPG on Vita, hoping they make a sequel someday so we get the complete story.

Mutant Mudds & Super Challenge on Vita, cool games, fun retro stuffs.

There's probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Comments on games I didn't beat, but were mentioned here:
Risk of Rain, tried to play through that game but eventually gave up.  It is fun, but not quite my cup of tea

Act Raiser:One of my top fav games of all time, wish there was a sequel that retained the balance of platforming & world building!
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Persona 5
Ys 8
Dungeon Travelers 2
FFXV fuckthatgameintheassholeitwasshit
some rando fighting games if those even actually count?
a bunch of time sunk into FF11 and FF14
bunch of NES games
this is too much work I quit
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

From my clear thread: Circus Lido, JB Harold Murder Club, JB Harold Manhattan Requiem, Bomberman, Tenchi Muyo, Coryoon, J Thunder, and Deep Blue.  That's not even one a month.... I am disappoint myself.  :|

There's a few other games that I beat on a semi-regular basis, though, like Hatris, Gotzendiener, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Bonk's Big Adventure, Dracula X, Godzilla, and Dead Moon.  Most if not all of 'em have been beaten again in the last year.  :mrgreen:

I've a hard time remember exactly when I've beaten some of these nobeys (I should keep a log or something), but off the top of my head I think I've beaten these in the last year or two:

Vita - Aqua Kitty, Saturday Morning RPG, Walking Dead Season 2, and Lego Marvel Avengers.
PSP - Brandish, Gurumin, Mimana Iyar Chronicle, Nayuta no Kiseki, Bust a Move Deluxe, and Sweet Fuse.

*edit* - looked at the pile o' games and remembered a couple more PSP games.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ParanoiaDragon

Forgot to mention I also beat Mega Man Legends 1 & Misadventure's of Tron Bonne on my Vita.
IMG

TR0N

Zelda BOTW (Wii-U)
Sweet Home (Famicom)
Ys Origin (PS4)
Injustice 2 Story mode (PS4)

Not much beaten this year since i was replaying dark souls 2&3 allot.Beside i need to get back to nioh asap.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

jtucci31

In a year where I sadly did not have my PCE around me very much, I've been playing a ton of games.

1. Uncharted 4 (PS4)
2. Uncharted (Vita)
3. Tearaway (Vita)
4. Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS3)
5. Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (PS3/Vita)
6. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)
7. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes (PS4)
8. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
9. Hotline Miami* (Vita)
10. The Last Guardian (PS4)
11. Final Fantasy VII (Vita)
12. Nier Automata (PS4)
13. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
14. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (Switch)
15. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
16. Sonic Mania (Switch)
17. Inside (PS4)
18. Journey (PS4)
19. Titanfall 2 (PS4)
20. Uncharted The Lost Legacy (PS4)
21. Mario 3D Land* (3DS)
22. Bonk's Revenge* (PCE)
23. Gate of Thunder* (PCE)
24. The Last of Us (PS4)
25. Wolfenstein The New Order (PS4)
26. Wolfenstein II The New Colossus (PS4)
27. Golf Story (Switch)
28. Super Bomberman R (Switch)
29. Skate 2* (PS3)
30. Skate 3* (PS3)

* Games I've already beaten once before.

Games I played but did not beat

1. Cave Story (Switch) - Stuck on the end boss. :(
2. Xenoblade Chronicles (3DS) - After 15 hours of enjoying pretty much only the music, I do not like this game.
3. Splatoon 2 (Switch) - Story mode is cool, but online is coooooler.
4. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (3DS) - Got caught up playing FFVII instead, I'll go back and finally beat this eventually. But in a year where a stellar open world Zelda game came out, this took a back seat.
5. Cuphead (PC) - The kind of game to blow you away right from the start. I just got distracted, I'll get back to it.
6. Bloodborne (PS4) - I'm not sure I will ever beat it.
7. Animal Crossing New Leaf (3DS) - You can't beat it, but I sure played a lot of it again for the second time on 3DS. I just really want one for the Switch because that mobile game is not fun.

Games I'm currently still playing that could have maybe made my top ten list of 2017, but I didn't finish in time/just started a few days ago but is really damn cool so far.

1. Persona 5 (PS4)

Top 3 games that came out in 2017 for me

1. Nier Automata
2. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
3. Cuphead (even though I haven't even beaten it yet)

bartre

Quote from: guest on 12/27/2017, 02:43 PM1. Cave Story (Switch) - Stuck on the end boss. :(

4. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (3DS) - Got caught up playing FFVII instead, I'll go back and finally beat this eventually. But in a year where a stellar open world Zelda game came out, this took a back seat.

IMG

1 - which "end boss?" the real end boss or just the doctor? what weapons do you have?

4 - you passed up OoT for GTA Hyrule? I'm so disappointed tucc.
to be fair though, Majora is better.

6 - what weapon are you using? that dictates sooooooooo much of your playstyle.

jtucci31

Quote from: bartre on 12/27/2017, 03:10 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/27/2017, 02:43 PM1. Cave Story (Switch) - Stuck on the end boss. :(

IMG

1 - which "end boss?" the real end boss or just the doctor? what weapons do you have?

4 - you passed up OoT for GTA Hyrule? I'm so disappointed tucc.
to be fair though, Majora is better.

6 - what weapon are you using? that dictates sooooooooo much of your playstyle.
1. Well the end boss where you have to fight 3 different bosses in a row with no health at all. The second is the doctor and he suxx

4. BotW is more than just GTA Hyrule in that GTA is more limiting than BotW. OoT shows its age and as someone who has no nostalgia for it, it's a bit hard to grasp currently. I usually prefer 2D Zelda games. LttP being my favorite and LBW was a ton of fun, and the original is great.

6. I would use the short hand weapon? THe axe thing. No fucking clue, I may need to start over if I ever try again, I ran out of blood vials.

bartre

Quote from: guest on 12/27/2017, 05:49 PM1. Well the end boss where you have to fight 3 different bosses in a row with no health at all. The second is the doctor and he suxx

4. BotW is more than just GTA Hyrule in that GTA is more limiting than BotW. OoT shows its age and as someone who has no nostalgia for it, it's a bit hard to grasp currently. I usually prefer 2D Zelda games. LttP being my favorite and LBW was a ton of fun, and the original is great.

6. I would use the short hand weapon? THe axe thing. No fucking clue, I may need to start over if I ever try again, I ran out of blood vials.
1 - which boss is giving you the most trouble and what weapons do you have?
Misery isn't too bad once you get the hang of dodging her quick shot attack. I recommend standing still and then jetpacking away after it gets close.
Doctor #1 - the double helix attack always threw me off, just gotta practice and learn where the holes are.
Doctor #2 - just keep as much distance between you two and you'll be fine.
Doctor #3 - Don't kill misery unless you have to. you can kill her summoned thingies for health.
also, after the 2nd form, you can talk to the purple mimiga twice and they'll all drop some health for you

4 - I'll admit I'm biased in that I hate botw. I found it almost as offputting as Skyward Sword, but I could at least tell that had some good ideas in it.  Also, I know Zelda titles are primarily adventure games, but with every item breaking like it does, that really deincentivizes combat, to the point that I'd rather run than fight, which doesn't seem heroic really...
also, why does every game need crafting? it just bugs me.

6 - I feel that.  but keep at it, ASCEND.
I liked the Kirkhammer (the sword with a sheathe that turned it into a hammer) and the Rifle Spear.
and don't forget, Bloodborne is kinda designed to be played more aggressively than DS

jtucci31

Quote from: bartre on 12/27/2017, 06:09 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/27/2017, 05:49 PM1. Well the end boss where you have to fight 3 different bosses in a row with no health at all. The second is the doctor and he suxx

1 - which boss is giving you the most trouble and what weapons do you have?
Misery isn't too bad once you get the hang of dodging her quick shot attack. I recommend standing still and then jetpacking away after it gets close.
Doctor #1 - the double helix attack always threw me off, just gotta practice and learn where the holes are.
Doctor #2 - just keep as much distance between you two and you'll be fine.
Doctor #3 - Don't kill misery unless you have to. you can kill her summoned thingies for health.
also, after the 2nd form, you can talk to the purple mimiga twice and they'll all drop some health for you

4 - I'll admit I'm biased in that I hate botw. I found it almost as offputting as Skyward Sword, but I could at least tell that had some good ideas in it.  Also, I know Zelda titles are primarily adventure games, but with every item breaking like it does, that really deincentivizes combat, to the point that I'd rather run than fight, which doesn't seem heroic really...
also, why does every game need crafting? it just bugs me.

6 - I feel that.  but keep at it, ASCEND.
I liked the Kirkhammer (the sword with a sheathe that turned it into a hammer) and the Rifle Spear.
and don't forget, Bloodborne is kinda designed to be played more aggressively than DS
Yeah for Cave Story I really want to go back because it was the first game I got with my Switch and I was really loving everything about it. From the cool music and atmosphere to a game that controlled well and was fun to play. THen I hit a wall with that final boss rush and backed off. I'll go back.

I really enjoyed BotW way more than I thought I would. I was pretty neutral (at best) on it leading up to and after its launch. Having never played a 3D Zelda and always being more a fan of the 2D Zelda games, I doubted it would be for me. But it really struck me in a way that a game never had before with its sheer exploration and literally embodying the "See that mountain off in the distance? You can go there" type of attitude.

That being said, I totally agree that the weapon durability is pretty ass and the Master Sword needing a charge is dumb. Crafting food and potions is ok, but when the game doesn't remember a recipe for something you just made 2 seconds ago, that's a bit of a problem. It's got its flaws for sure and it's certainly not the best game ever made as it's currently being lauded, but I sure enjoyed it for what it's worth with some 90+ hours both portable and at home.

Bloodborne has this weird draw for me despite how awful I am that makes me want to keep going back. I think I will but in slow strides.

bartre

Quote from: guest on 12/28/2017, 10:18 AMBloodborne has this weird draw for me despite how awful I am that makes me want to keep going back. I think I will but in slow strides.
well when I get to have another crack, I'll drop you a line and we can co op some parts giving you trouble

bartre

Added 1 more to the list today.

Parasite Eve (PSX) - I loved almost everything about this game. My qualms can all pretty much break down to "well it was the late 90s" or are simply some funky difficulty spots where the game randomly got really hard (crab boss) or really easy (the museum).
I loved the battle system, story/setting, and the villain in particular.
Been trying to beat this game since like 2005, just kept getting distracted; did read the book that preceded it.

turboswimbz

I got 3 more:

PC/xbox - Dust an Elysium Tale - Great little 2d platformer - excellent story, great animation, a little short.  the game can be cheap and little hard to handle in places on the more difficult setting,  worth it if you can find a digital copy.

PC - Doki Doki LIterature Club - a random Virtual Comic / Dating sim - I won't give anything away but it's maybe somewhat of a parody.

PCE - Magical Chase (easy mode)  - was just trying out different DUOs with issues with my new TEDV2 and played through it.  I am going to revisit it on harder mode before considering this an actual clear. I see why some call this game overrated.  still had fun.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

seieienbu

This is a fun thread. 

So I play games with my girlfriend a lot.  Generally we kinda share who's playing what game so most of the list is the stuff we played together.

WiiU:  Breath of the Wild

NES:  Zelda 2, Castlevania, CV2, CV3, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Snake's Revenge, Final Fantasy, Super Mario Bros 3

Turbo/PCE:  Sonson 2, Lords of Thunder, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Last Alert, Valis 2, Valis 3, Deep Blue, Dracula X

Genesis:  Sonic,  Sonic 2,  Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Turtles Hyperstone Heist, Ristar, Bubsy 2, Castlevania Bloodlines

SNES:  Zelda 3, Bubsy, Super Mario All Stars (all 4), Star Fox, Super Contra, Castlevania 4

32X:  Knuckles Chaotix

Saturn:  Sonic 3D Blast, Gex

Playstation: Final Fantasy 9, Symphony of the Night

N64:  Star Fox 64

Dreamcast:  Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue 2

PS2:  MGS2, MGS3, MG2: Solid Snake

PS4:  Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces, Bubsy, Street Fighter V

XBone: Cuphead

Arcade:  Garou:  Mark of the Wolves, CvS2

I wouldn't normally include a fighting game in a list like this but there were 3 neat victories.  I got a full clear on Garou with Terry getting MIRACLE! ranking on every round.  In Street Fighter V I beat Survival Mode on extreme, finally.  I mostly cheesed the CPU with Rashid but at the end I had to work pretty hard.  And finally my arcade just recently got a CvS2 setup so I played the computer to test it out.  I beat Shin Akuma on one credit and was pretty happy about that.  I used my patented team, P Groove Vega, Cammy, R2 Geese.

I played through 7 Castlevania games during October ending by beating Symphony of the Night the day before Halloween.  Before Sonic Mania came out, my GF and I played through a good portion of the series.  My favorite new game that I played was probably Sonic Mania.  Second place would be Cup Head.

For next year?  We're working our way through all of the Final Fantasy games and Metal Gear games.  We've only got a few left in both franchises so we may finish those up.  I'm hoping the Ys 8 translation patch comes out soon as I'd like to get back to that one.  My girlfriend has never played any survival horror games, so I'm thinking we may try to tackle Resident Evil this October instead of Castlevania (we've done that twice now).  The game I'm looking forward to playing the most, atm, is Romancing Saga 2 with it's recent release on PS4.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

That's a lot of absolute classic games. I still randomly revisit the Castlevania and Sonic games as well.

Nice on Shenmue 2. I'm still super weary of Shenmue 3. The first two are pretty boring games for most people by modern standards. Yakuza has been doin' the thing better for quite awhile now. I want to see it through though, the first two games were so damn cool to me at the time.

Garou is an excellent fighter still one of my all time favourites.

I'll pose this question for everyone: what are you looking forward to playing in 2018? Yakuza 6 is at the very top of my list.

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/31/2017, 08:18 PMI'll pose this question for everyone: what are you looking forward to playing in 2018? Yakuza 6 is at the very top of my list.
A: Not Yakuza 6.

Ha!

But I was thinking about delving into some "modern" (for me) games on the PS1/PS2 this year...

KING OF CRUSHER (PS1)

...is a game that an old pcefxer (GUTS) always referenced, but I never really thought I would ever play.

BUT LAST NIGHT I STUMBLED UPON SOME SCREENSHOTS and now I am intrigued.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I beat all my favorite games I usually play at least once a year (a long boring list)...but I don't think I beat anything I hadn't already beaten in the past...

I think I have a new goal for 2018.

THIS WILL BE THE YEAR I CONQUER SimEarth (namely, create a society of sentient scallops), Deep Blue (due to the cold, merciless depths of my barren heart, I will destroy entire communities sentient scallops), and Shockman/Shubibinman series, etc.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

nopepper

Just the games I beat for the first time, so I won't include the yearly runs of Mega Man, Thunder Force, Elemental Master, etc.

PCE
Dragon Spirit - it was extremely satisfying cracking this beast. The music is legendary and the graphics when played through a CRT glow like magic.

Download - seems hard at first, then becomes almost pedestrian. Good game overall, but needs a little more randomness to be a classic.

NES
Silver Surfer - 1 life cleared this, after using save states in the Everdrive to memorize all the bits. The music and clean graphics make it worth pushing through, and the level design opens up once you spend some time learning the intricacies of the game.

Burai Fighter - good music and tough gameplay.. I liked this a lot.

Contra - yup, I had never completed this game. Had to use Everdrive save states to memorize, then 1 credit cleared it. Awesome game.

Xexyz - I loved this one. The atmosphere is what did it for me and it got me past the floaty controls and quirky level designs.

Wii U
Zelda BotW - this game was something else. I started playing it thinking it was going to be another Ocarina of Time overrated "masterpiece" only to be sucked into its world and not be let go until about a month later. I frankly can't say anything bad about this game. (Side note - I wish Nintendo and Sega would collaborate to create a Phantasy Star V using this games engine)

PS3
Shadows of the Damned - the surprise of the year for me. Although I did not care about the story in general, it did have some funny one liners and the gameplay was pure Resident Evil 4-like goodness.

Arkham Asylum - nice, quick 3D action game. Got a bit repetitive towards the tail end, so I don't think I'll even try the sequels.

N64
Waverace 64 - one of the best racing games I've played. Hard to control at first, but after adjusting, became very addicting to control your ski around rough waters.

crazydean

Damn, Silver Surfer on NES? That game is crazy hard. Congratulations.

nopepper

Quote from: crazydean on 01/01/2018, 08:26 PMDamn, Silver Surfer on NES? That game is crazy hard. Congratulations.
This is one of those games I would've given up if not for the Everdrive and save states. I actually had never played this prior to earlier this year when I read elsewhere about how terrible the game was, but that the music made it worth playing.

With curiosity piqued, I tried it in the Everdrive, and while it frustrated me at first, I kept trying and dying, and trying and dying, chugging along using save states. There was something about it that kept me going...it was satisfying to get used to its touchiness and conquer difficult sections.

Once I got used to tough sections and was able to beat it a couple of times using save states, I got a real cart for like 5 bucks and tried it out. I knew that if I died, I would have to restart, as its almost impossible to get past certain sections unless fully powered up. I think it took me a couple of days to beat it in 1 life.

It's a good game, MUCH better than the reputation it has. I reckon that I would've enjoyed it a lot as a kid, with a lot of time to devote to a single game, and I probably would have been able to beat it given that same factor.

I don't think I'll ever seriously play it again, because it was tough memorizing everything, and there is so much to memorize, but I feel it was worth it for the satisfaction. And again, the music and crisp graphics (on a CRT) help a lot.

Also, I think Dragon Spirit was a much tougher nut to crack than Silver Surfer, but I did not have the benefit of save states with that one.

This makes me think...I've never beaten RType, so I wonder if using this same save state strategy would finally help me conquer that beast...

NecroPhile

I almost beat Ys Origin before the new year.  I'm sitting at Dalles right now.

*edit*

I beat it last night.  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: nopepper on 01/02/2018, 12:37 AMAlso, I think Dragon Spirit was a much tougher nut to crack than Silver Surfer, but I did not have the benefit of save states with that one.

This makes me think...I've never beaten RType, so I wonder if using this same save state strategy would finally help me conquer that beast...
I found Dragon Spirit a challenging game to beat, but obviously it is much more accessible to the average person than R-Type, which is unforgiving.

I used the R-Type CD to practice because it allows infinite continues for each stage...I put in a lot of practice/experimentation with different tactics...which really helped me when playing the HuCARDs (JP and NA).

There is a bonus (very short) "dodging" segment on the JP HuCARD I that was cut from all the other versions.

It's a fun little surprise for many folks, I think.

johnnykonami

I had a busy year, started a new job and didn't really find much time for finishing games but I did start a quite a few.  The ones that I did manage to beat... lemme think.  Resident Evil 7 might be the only one!  I poured a lot of time into Dark Souls II, almost done with it but trying to beat optional DLC bosses.  I just got Dragon Spirit for Xmas so I'll give that a shot soon.

gheebee

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) – I don't think I ever got sucked into a game like I did with this one.

Shantae: ½ Genie Hero (Wii U) – I bought this because it kind of reminded me of Wonder Boy a little and wasn't disappointed.

Steamworld Heist (Wii U) – Wasn't that interested in this one because of the turn-based aspect but once I started playing it I couldn't stop.

Steamworld Dig (Wii U) – A fun take on a platforming game but the end made me sad.

Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U) – Seeing the original compared to this makes me not regret never playing the original. Not that I don't think I would have enjoyed it but this version looks like a massive upgrade.

God Panic (PCE) – Picked this up earlier in the year and wound up beating it after just a couple of tries. It's a fun game with all kinds of quirky art, but it was not a good value considering how easily it was beaten by me.

CyberCore (TG16) – As a kid I never got past the 3rd of 4th level but then one day I popped this one in and beat it after just a couple of tries. It's no Raiden but beating it was still very satisfying.

New Adventure Island (PCE) – Is this even worth mentioning for me? Of course I beat New Adventure Island in 2017!

Splatterhouse (TG16) – Still can't remember if this was a first time clear back in April but I managed to do the same later in Oct.

Final Fight (arcade) – It's hard to pass up a chance to play this, the gameplay is just so satisfying.

Super Bomberman R (Switch) – My friend picked this up on the way to my place, we beat every level in one sitting, and I'm pretty sure they returned it on their way home.

English of the Dead (DS) – A couple of the letters are a little tricky to write with the stylus and it's hard to figure out some of the clues because they're in Japanese, but overall this was a lot of fun and for the money not a bad deal (decided to get this instead of Typing of the Dead and the Dreamcast Keyboard...).

nopepper

Quote from: esteban on 01/02/2018, 01:24 PMI found Dragon Spirit a challenging game to beat, but obviously it is much more accessible to the average person than R-Type, which is unforgiving.

I used the R-Type CD to practice because it allows infinite continues for each stage...I put in a lot of practice/experimentation with different tactics...which really helped me when playing the HuCARDs (JP and NA).

There is a bonus (very short) "dodging" segment on the JP HuCARD I that was cut from all the other versions.

Were you able to beat it using that strategy? Do you 1 life clear it?

The problem for me is that if I die anywhere after level 4, it becomes nigh impossible to get back up to speed and powered up. So you have to devise strategies with a slow ship and a tiny pea shooter, which I just don't think is a good time.

I reckon (and from other ppls accounts) that the trick is to make it to the later levels fully powered up, then know exactly what to do from then on, so you can clear it on a single life.

I suppose watching lets play could get me familiar with those later levels, but f that, who has time for that?!? At least with save states, the "cheating" experience is interactive.

seieienbu

It took me 20 years to beat R Type.  I finally decided to beat it a few years back and did it by playing a game every day.  I'd get a little further than I did the day before most days.  I got hung up for multiple days in more than one spot but eventually persevered.

I'm no shooter savant.  R Type was brutally difficult but if I can beat it so can anyone.

waiwainl

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/03/2018, 04:49 PMI'm no shooter savant.  R Type was brutally difficult but if I can beat it so can anyone.
Well done! I am still working on it :)

esteban

Quote from: nopepper on 01/03/2018, 04:06 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/02/2018, 01:24 PMI found Dragon Spirit a challenging game to beat, but obviously it is much more accessible to the average person than R-Type, which is unforgiving.

Were you able to beat it using that strategy? Do you 1 life clear it?

The problem for me is that if I die anywhere after level 4, it becomes nigh impossible to get back up to speed and powered up. So you have to devise strategies with a slow ship and a tiny pea shooter, which I just don't think is a good time.

I reckon (and from other ppls accounts) that the trick is to make it to the later levels fully powered up, then know exactly what to do from then on, so you can clear it on a single life.

I suppose watching lets play could get me familiar with those later levels, but f that, who has time for that?!? At least with save states, the "cheating" experience is interactive.
I always die so I have found  the "charge shot" invaluable. In most shootemups, I have found ways to survive with pea shooter.

Stage 5, for example, is totally doable collecting what is given...

l've been playing it since arcade 80's and never even saw the later stages until I got the R-Type CD many years ago and used continues!

I absolutely SUCK on the "maze" level with the huge square ships you must constantly avoid. I choke under pressure.

Save states would be the easiest route to go, but the R-Type Complete CD Continue method is more respectable (I am joking, I felt lame for continuing a million times just to beat a damn level).

nopepper

Yeah. I've been playing RTYpe since the SMS version came out. Even that version I could never beat, and it was one of a handful of games I had, but it just pissed me off so much. 30 years later, and it still pisses me off.

I've been able to get past level 5 using the PCE Rtype II huey, but then the maze level comes along and my patience runs dry. It's just such a grind of dying a million times before you can figure out safe zones and patterns. Then the game seems to throw random stuff at you from time to time to mess with your runs, even the power ups have some randomness to them. Argh, its just too much!

Silver Surfer is childs play next to RType, IMO.

Mad respect to all that have completed RType. Maybe one day I will join that club...

Winniez

I think R-Type is a very methodical shooter, the kind where you carefully and slowly make you way through the game. Dragon Spirit is more chaotic and the hit box is way bigger.

roflmao

Geez, I'm not playing through games like I used to. :D I mostly played through games I know I can beat.

Saturn - Christmas NiGHTS - a holiday tradition.
PCE - Star Parodier
GB - Battle Unit Zeoth
TG16 - Blazing Lazers
PCE - Macross 2036
PCE - Shubibinman 3
PCE - Spriggan
Saturn - Twinbee
Dreamcast - Skies of Arcadia

On board for 2018:
Super Famicom - FFV
PCE - Startling Odyssey II
PCE - Genji Tsushin Agedama
GC - Zelda: Twilight Princess

Gypsy

How are you stomaching the Starling Odyssey translation? I gave it and honest go but looool.

I think I'm going to replay Skies this year, it's been so long.

roflmao

Quote from: Gypsy on 01/12/2018, 10:46 PMHow are you stomaching the Starling Odyssey translation? I gave it and honest go but looool.

I think I'm going to replay Skies this year, it's been so long.
I'm loving it! Sure the translation is kinda clunky, but that old-school gameplay has me hooked. Great soundtrack. Great cutscenes (some of which I should have let my 9-yr old son watch!). The ability to Auto battle is so nice when grinding.

Skies is awesome. This was the first time my son got to experience it and he LOVED it.

TheClash603

My memory sucks, so I'm sure this is 20% of what I beat.  I also was doing a bit of a remodel that kept my older systems unhooked for a large portion of the year.

Resident Evil 7 (PSVR)
Rush of Blood (PSVR)
London Heist (PSVR)
Batman Arkham VR (PSVR)
...I was about to beat Far Point (PSVR), but then my PSVR broke.
Wolfenstein New Order (XB1)
Call of Duty WWII (XB1)
Rock Band Rivals (XB1)
Raiden V (XB1)
Mario Odyssey (Switch)
NBA Ballers (Switch)
Puyo Puyo Tetris (Switch)
Bomberman R (Switch)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Felix the Cat (NES)

I'm done taking a shit so I'll stop here.  Currently playing Nier and close to beating it.

seieienbu

This thread inspired me to some degree.  I'm making a list of every game I play and beat so that next year I can post without trying to remember everything I'm played over a whole year.

bartre

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/11/2018, 06:36 PMThis thread inspired me to some degree.  I'm making a list of every game I play and beat so that next year I can post without trying to remember everything I'm played over a whole year.
That's not a bad idea.
I'm gonna start one on my google drive, so I can always update it.

Gypsy

I'm aiming to beat a game on each of my systems again so I've been keeping track with a text file.

PukeSter

Never beat R-Type, Stage 7 is as far as I could get

The stage 5 boss is awful. It's AI is random so there's no real strategy to memorize.

Why the hell did Hudson have to add an "extra" boss to stage 6???

NightWolve

Quote from: bartre on 02/12/2018, 01:51 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 02/11/2018, 06:36 PMThis thread inspired me to some degree.  I'm making a list of every game I play and beat so that next year I can post without trying to remember everything I'm played over a whole year.
That's not a bad idea.
I'm gonna start one on my google drive, so I can always update it.
https://backloggery.com/nightwolve

Backloggery dudes, that's what it's partly for besides annoying you into not giving up on eventually clearing purchased games collecting dust.