OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

A Video Game Con (AVGC) 2016 – 9/10 – 9/11 in Parsippany, NJ

Started by gheebee, 08/21/2016, 07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gheebee

I missed this last year but was just wondering if anyone here went to any of the previous ones and what they had to say about it. Is it well organized? How is the venue (overcrowded? ample parking?)? How are the vendors? Hopefully I'll get to go this year but for now I'm wondering if it is worth the price of admission. Here's the site: http://www.avideogamecon.com/

esteban

UPDATE: Photos of AVGC 2016 (NJ)

Part 1: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=21372.msg470778#msg470778

Part 2: https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=21372.msg470834#msg470834

ORIGINAL POST:

Folks in the NJ area should consider grabbing coffee/greasy diner food, regardless of whether we attend the "event" or not.

Quote from: gheebee on 08/21/2016, 07:03 PMI missed this last year but was just wondering if anyone here went to any of the previous ones and what they had to say about it. Is it well organized? How is the venue (overcrowded? ample parking?)? How are the vendors? Hopefully I'll get to go this year but for now I'm wondering if it is worth the price of admission. Here's the site: http://www.avideogamecon.com/
WTF?! This is literally next door.

I'm going to this if my schedule is open.

UPDATE: Well, I didn't think the ticket prices would be that high. Me + 3 kids = too expensive. I have to mull it over. Yes, I would probably find some of the speakers amusing (even if I am not a fan of their YouTube stuff)...but, on the other hand, why bother?

I have to look at the site some more and mull it over...

:)

TRUVIA: I used to live in Parsippany in the 90's. I ingested all sorts of artificial sweeteners available.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Johnpv

I missed last year because of some family stuff, but my friend went.  He described it as very similar to Too Many Games, but with less vendors, and a bit smaller.  So it wasn't too crowded last year and I think the parking was pretty good from what he said.  This year it seems like it's exploded, they've got a lot more youtube celebs coming, and supposedly it's going to be bigger.

He wasn't too impressed with the vendor action last year, not many deals to be found, and if I remember right the vendors that were there didn't seem too into haggling.  I felt that way about Too Many Games this year too, but may have just been the vendors I was trying to deal with.   One place had a filthy, and I mean FILTHY AV Famicom, with no cables but the AC adaptor and he wanted like 120 or 130 for it and would not budge on that price. 

I will definitely be there this year!  I know I haven't been on this site very long but I'm all for meeting up with people and grabbing food. 

This weekend is also a toy convention in the same place that supposedly gets some good video game action.

gheebee

Thanks for the info, still don't know if I'll make it but I'm hoping I do just to finally check out a video game con. The place is actually right by where they have this horror movie convention that I regularly attend.

esteban

Ha! I was just reading the FAQ and realized it had not been updated since last year.

Last year it was $15 ($20 at door) to get in to a single-day show.

This year looks like it is much grander, but it costs more.

Also, even the instructions on ordering sandwiches is from last year.

I am easily amused by these things.

sirhcman

Quote from: esteban on 08/23/2016, 09:55 AMThis year looks like it is much grander, but it costs more.
It's obvious why prices went up.. they had to get Pat the NES Punk!

majors

I'll be there with my cabs. I'll also have Rob with me and he is helping out the console area with 5 turbobs and 3 feka running. We plan to be showing off Henshin-Engine too!
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

esteban

Quote from: majors on 08/23/2016, 12:27 PMI'll be there with my cabs. I'll also have Rob with me and he is helping out the console area with 5 turbobs and 3 feka running. We plan to be showing off Henshin-Engine too!
Will you be there both days?

Is it too late to volunteer to help you guys?

*This changes everything*

Johnpv

Just bumping this thread since this is in a couple of days!

majors

I roll out Friday at 5am with over 3000lbs of gear. 10+ hours, time to load up on podcasts! If anyone is down with getting dinner on Friday evening, I'll be with Rob and Esteban trying to get some wings and beer near by(well, I'll have beer already...)
TG/PCE Collection.

crazydean

Quote from: majors on 09/08/2016, 12:02 PMI roll out Friday at 5am with over 3000lbs of gear. 10+ hours, time to load up on podcasts! If anyone is down with getting dinner on Friday evening, I'll be with Rob and Esteban trying to get some wings and beer near by(well, I'll have beer already...)
Wow, 3000 lbs. You must be bringing a pvm.

NecroPhile

Quote from: crazydean on 09/08/2016, 02:42 PMWow, 3000 lbs. You must be bring a pvm.
Three candies for 1000 lbs.  The rest is beer.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

I forgot to post these on Sunday!

I was a local deli (Main Street Subs in Madison, NJ) enjoying a delicious Swiss + Provolone sub with French Fries and *bam*...

IMG

IMG

IMG

BACK ON TOPIC:

Quote from: majors on 09/08/2016, 12:02 PMI roll out Friday at 5am with over 3000lbs of gear. 10+ hours, time to load up on podcasts! If anyone is down with getting dinner on Friday evening, I'll be with Rob and Esteban trying to get some wings and beer near by(well, I'll have beer already...)
Thanks again for bringing the fully restored Rastan Saga II cab... I can't wait to see it and play it!

johnnykonami

This one is driveable to me, but I'm house-poor right now, otherwise I'd come out and meet you guys.  Maybe next year!

Johnpv

I'm like right around the corner basically from Madison, small damn world.  I wish I could meet up with you guys tonight, we have some stuff going on here, and then my GF is running in the Komen race for a cure tomorrow morning in NYC.  I'll be making it to the convention HOPEFULLY by noonish or 1.  I'll look for people giving off the glow of loving the PCEngine.

OldRover

This is less than 5 hours away from me. If they do it again next year, I'm game.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 08/23/2016, 10:07 AMIt's obvious why prices went up.. they had to get Pat the NES Punk!
They don't pay him to be there (other than airfare/hotel). In fact likely the only one getting any kind of stipulation would be James & co. He's local so they won't have to give him more than a few bucks gas money. I'm betting his fee just to be there is $1000. Might be lower since it's close and he's only gonna be there on Sunday. A few years ago it was $700 to appear at a videogame store. Don't quote me on any of this as I am likely in error and am just guessing.

sirhcman

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 09/09/2016, 07:37 PM
Quote from: guest on 08/23/2016, 10:07 AMIt's obvious why prices went up.. they had to get Pat the NES Punk!
They don't pay him to be there (other than airfare/hotel). In fact likely the only one getting any kind of stipulation would be James & co. He's local so they won't have to give him more than a few bucks gas money. I'm betting his fee just to be there is $1000. Might be lower since it's close and he's only gonna be there on Sunday. A few years ago it was $700 to appear at a videogame store. Don't quote me on any of this as I am likely in error and am just guessing.
lol Joe I was only kidding but thanks for the info!

Johnpv

I just wanted to say it was awesome today to finally get to play a Super Grafix.  Great set up with all the various PC Engines set up today, that was freaking awesome!

esteban

Quote from: Johnpv on 09/10/2016, 08:31 PMI just wanted to say it was awesome today to finally get to play a Super Grafix.  Great set up with all the various PC Engines set up today, that was freaking awesome!
I didn't check this thread! I should have. :(

I spent a good amount of time by PCE tables, but I also was trying to beat Mega Zone all day, too.

So, 35-40% chance I saw you :)

esteban

THE STORY SO FAR:

FRIDAY: *majors* was praying, lighting incense and begging god (Lord of Thunder) for his 16 arcade cabinets to be in good working order. Meanwhile, in another room, *rob*, a friend of *majors*, set up the PCE consoles... he printed out very nice placards with info about each console he brought (Saturn, Mega Drive, SMS, PCE Briefcase, Shuttle, SuperGrafx, DUO-RX, DUO)...
IMG
(click to enlarge)

These pics are from Friday night...so excuse the mess (boxes, bins, cardboard)...
IMG

Henshin Engine had a dedicated spot and ran 24/7 (Rob swapped out the other consoles every few hours)...
IMG

SATURDAY: We politely encouraged everyone who played the demo to SUPPORT the Henshin Engine Kickstarter... wait! Who is that playing the demo? He looks familiar....
IMG

What's this!? It's our very own *ninja_spirit* checking out Henshin Engine demo!
IMG

Did ninja_spirit miss the jump? It was a shameful moment.
IMG

"Mega Zone is better than Rockman+KOF98+SFII'! Why is everyone neglecting this fantastic game?" asked ninja_spirit.
IMG

This is, truly, the game that made me obsessed with shoot-em-ups. It was neglected in 1983 at the local ice rink. It was neglected in 2016 at AVGC. Luckily, the poor little bastard has my boundless love to heal its broken heart...
IMG

sirhcman

esteban

THE STORY CONTINUES...

SUNDAY: *majors* (on left, holding a can of nonalcoholic vegan beer) and *rob* (on right, hoping to find some real beer) donning matching t-shirts.
IMG

GunHed on PCE Briefcase w/ Hori controller...
IMG

Salamander on PCE Shuttle w/ winged-Shuttle controller...
IMG

Daimakaimura on SuperGrafx w/ pachinko controller...
IMG

Sapphire on DUO-RX w/ TurboDUO controller...
IMG

Henshin Engine on DUO w/ AVENUE 3 controller...
IMG

The owner of the Mega Zone cab asked me if I wanted to see all the manuals and flyers he had...this was his favorite line...
IMG

It is now my daily mantra.

Have you hugged your MEGA ZONE lately?

blueraven

Wow esteban, just... wow! Conference looks awesome! (and is that a Sony BVM?)

Haven't seen ninja_spirit on the forum in years. Wish him the best, was a really active poster when I first joined up, and I remember talking with him in chat or on the forums every so often. Glad that he's still around and doing well.

TheClash603

I have never played Mega Zone, but you have built it up to a level of expectations which it surely can never meet.  Thanks for the pics.

esteban

Quote from: blueraven on 09/12/2016, 01:44 AMWow esteban, just... wow! Conference looks awesome! (and is that a Sony BVM?)

Haven't seen ninja_spirit on the forum in years. Wish him the best, was a really active poster when I first joined up, and I remember talking with him in chat or on the forums every so often. Glad that he's still around and doing well.
I know! He used to be very active here, a billion years ago. It was great to see him. I will wish him well for you.

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/12/2016, 08:20 AMI have never played Mega Zone, but you have built it up to a level of expectations which it surely can never meet.  Thanks for the pics.
Most folks won't give it more than a minute... but it is a really "great" game that builds up to crazy action, then it will have a short break where you can regain your thoughts, followed by the the build to the next "climax"...to use a musical metaphor:

crescendo--> climax --> decrescendo (repeat)

I think folks play the "dull" moments and think it has nothing to offer, when in fact there is a beauty to the alternating segments...

I love taking *different paths* on each successive playthrough... It adds a nice bit of variety to the game... The branching paths add a lot of character to the otherwise basic stage design (later in the game, the stage design/enemy layout becomes *slightly* more interesting and challenging).   

In 1983, this was rather unique compared to the other vertical shooters I had access to at the arcades.

The ice rink I played it at in the 80's had the music pumped up loud and the basic, military drum line + symphony of nice SFX created a nice "soundscape" for the game.

Anyway, yes: most folks will think it sucks. But even now (let alone 1983), it does a decent job (during a "climax") of  throwing a lot of enemies at you in unique  combinations, with physical barriers + block walls (popping up) to keep you on your toes.

...and transforming into a MEGA TANK feels great...

I'll stop repeating myself.

johnnykonami

These pictures just fuel my want of one of those damn PVMs even more.  I wish they were more prevalent in my area.  Looks like a nice little con though, thanks for supplying pics!

gheebee

Got to swing by this for a little bit on Sunday, didn't get there till late and wasn't able to stay long but it looked like it would have been a pretty good time if I had time to hang around and play games all day. I did get to check out Henshin Engine for a few minutes and that was pretty cool, but aside from that I just walked around the dealer room with my friend a few times until we had spent all of our money. Will have to try and get there earlier next year!

Johnpv

Quote from: esteban on 09/11/2016, 07:29 AMI didn't check this thread! I should have. :(

I spent a good amount of time by PCE tables, but I also was trying to beat Mega Zone all day, too.

I should have said hi on Saturday or Sunday but I don't know what anyone looks like.  I didn't want to be the weird dude going up to people asking if they were on the PCengineFX forums. 

It really was a great set up though, I spent a bunch of time there on Saturday and Sunday playing the Super Grafix and trying out Henshin Engine. 

Also awesome photos and write up on it all!

majors

Quote from: Johnpv on 09/13/2016, 07:41 AMI didn't want to be the weird dude going up to people asking if they were on the PCengineFX forums. 
I'm easy to spot, you can prolly smell the alcohol in the other room. But I hear ya, I usually get the digits of folks I'm meeting and we have a spot to meet so it's not that awkward.

I did meet gheebee b/c he had a TG-16 shirt, so I knew he was cool.

My pic's: https://goo.gl/photos/MciqaKp6ewcSbkqm8
TG/PCE Collection.

NecroPhile

IMG

Who's the guy to the right?  He doesn't look happy.

xcrement5x

Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/13/2016, 12:44 PMWho's the guy to the right?  He doesn't look happy.
You know why he's unhappy NecroPhile...

IMG
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

Ha!

I thought maybe it was xray, mad at Ninja Spirit for not buying one of his acrylic signs.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2016, 03:20 PMHa!

I thought maybe it was xray, mad at Ninja Spirit for not buying one of his acrylic signs.
Hahahahajjajjajaja.

Oh, if the random convention dude even knew he was linked to X-ray....

esteban

Quote from: Johnpv on 09/13/2016, 07:41 AM
Quote from: esteban on 09/11/2016, 07:29 AMI didn't check this thread! I should have. :(

I should have said hi on Saturday or Sunday but I don't know what anyone looks like.  I didn't want to be the weird dude going up to people asking if they were on the PCengineFX forums. 

It really was a great set up though, I spent a bunch of time there on Saturday and Sunday playing the Super Grafix and trying out Henshin Engine. 

Also awesome photos and write up on it all!
Of course, we understand.

There is a chance you might recognize some of us from the photos majors and I posted.

I am going to post this *stupid* picture of myself only because I was so surprised that a certain, mythical object was being displayed, on Sunday, right next to all the PCE tables...

In fact, when I first arrived on Sunday to say "Hi!" to the pcefx crew, I didn't even pay attention to the new table. "Who is this old guy, and what is he doing here?" I asked myself, my eyes never focusing on him or the items displayed on the table.

After a few minutes of blathering with majors and rob, I glanced at the old man and then my eyes LOCKED onto the CUROUS OBJECT resting in front of him...

IMG

I felt like a little kid holding that thing.

Yes, I have problems.

That old dude was really nice and it was fun talking to him. Also, I can't believe the prototype SNES CD was available for everyone to touch and hug. If you remember, it had been encased in plexiglass for its debut at a conference/convention in Hong Kong.

Anyway, if you saw the smiling idiot above, you saw me.

I was probably cursing at a certain arcade cab...

TheClash603

Serious question about the pic in the previous post...  which one is "that old dude?"

esteban

Quote from: TheClash603 on 09/15/2016, 08:13 AMSerious question about the pic in the previous post...  which one is "that old dude?"
A: Both of them.

:)

spawnshop

How the F did i miss this??!   It's right around the corner from me....i'm out in Mount Olive NJ.
Damn!
Maybe next year......

Johnpv

I'm right out in Flanders, small freaking world.  Though I swear NJ is like a secret haven for video gamers, and retro gamers specially it seems.

spawnshop

Quote from: Johnpv on 09/16/2016, 08:29 AMI'm right out in Flanders, small freaking world.  Though I swear NJ is like a secret haven for video gamers, and retro gamers specially it seems.
Ha!   Flanders is literally 5 mins from me.
Yeah, i think you're right.  A lot of cool retro shops popping up.
Yestercades in Summerville is f'n awesome too!

Johnpv

I have not been to that one, have you been to the arcade that popped up in morristown right off the green.  Alot of good games and priced pretty fairly.

spawnshop

Quote from: Johnpv on 09/16/2016, 01:03 PMI have not been to that one, have you been to the arcade that popped up in morristown right off the green.  Alot of good games and priced pretty fairly.
No, haven't heard of that one. What's the name?
Maybe I'll check it out thus weekend.
Yestercades is great. I think over 60 games in Somerville, byob past 9pm, and it's all free play, but u pay $9  per hour. They have a ton of consoles too.

Johnpv

It's called Morristown Game Vault.  They have a ton of games, and Pinball machines, only an NES or two hooked up.  Similar set up though that everything is set to freeplay, and its like 10 dollars an hour.

http://www.morristowngamevault.com/