@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Super SD System 3

Started by synbiosfan, 12/07/2017, 02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

synbiosfan

NecroPhile

We're talkin' about that in chatty.  It looks neato, but the price is kinda steep (with the cost of a PCE, you could get a Duo instead) and it's too bad it doesn't have anything better than composite/rgb.  Also, I'm skeptical about the claims;  I'd have to see some reviews from peeps I trust before I'd pay out so much.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

crazydean

Seems like a good alternative to a Duo, especially if you already have a TG-16 or PCE but no CD system. It's also nice to get away from discs, lasers, pots, gears, and the problems associated with them.

Having said that, I'm not gonna buy one because I already have a Duo. However, this will extend the lifespan of the PCE CD, and that's always a good thing.

synbiosfan

I agree. He came through with a decent Neo multi so he's got some kind of track record at least.

If I wasn't using my phone I'd have copy and pasted the whole post.

pixeljunkie

I don't doubt this does what it says - I just don't think some of us are the target market. I have a wall of cards and CDs - no need to cheat to play something I don't have r can't afford. Very cool though! I have an AES Neo SD cart and it's amazing.

esteban

Goddamn, this is not something I need, but I'd be lying if I wasn't 100% intrigued by it.

Guess what?

I just realized that I need this.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

xcrement5x

Ordering link:
https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.php?id_product=12&controller=product&id_lang=1

Really with an Everdrive costing about $80 anyway and an RGB mod on a system probably another $50-70 it's not too outrageous if you are just starting out.  Very neat but like many others I'll probably hold off since I already have working units, if the price comes down in the future who knows though ;)
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

LostFlunky

Not thrilled about the video output options... couldn't we get useful component on this box for the cost of a few capacitors and resistors...?  But otherwise looks spongeworthy...

GohanX

I ordered one. I'm a sucker.

synbiosfan

After reading more, this is for NTSC units. No PAL!

ClodBusted

I want that.

QuoteTurgbografx 16 NTSC
Sigh.

munchiaz

Its very cool piece of kit. Not needed now in my life, but i may consider one down the road

RyoGeo

EDIT: Thank you to the mod that merged my idiot post with the proper thread.

---------------------------------------------

Hope this is the right place for this. I've been a lurker for a while, but think this is worth posting to this audience.

The guys that made the NeoSD carts for the Neo Geo (Terraonion) just released a piece of hardware for the PC Engine/Turbo 16 that plays all HuCard and Super CD images. It looks quite slick.

I'm more of a Neo guy, but I thought those here that love the PCE might like to know about it.

Here's a link to a couple videos. First one is just a quick marketing type thing, and the second is showing it running all kinds of different stuff. 

Anyway, enjoy:

ClodBusted

RyoGeo

DAMMIT! I even looked in a number of forums. Not the right one, obviously.

An inauspicious beginning to my posting carrier here.

Oh well. Back to lurking.

gum_drops

Already posted and wrong section.

Go back to ng.com n00b.

NecroPhile

Since ya included some nice youtube videos of it in action, threads merged.  :)

HuMan

I already have a fully recapped Duo along with an Everdrive and a stack of CD-Rs. If I didn't have those, I might have gone with the Super SD.

synbiosfan

It's all good Ryo, despite what Rot thinks I support NeoSD's efforts.  :wink:

Okay, they unexpectedly exceeded their transaction limits and tomorrow is a holiday in Spain so wait to order. I'll update or someone will when it changes.

crazydean

What was the company that made those pervy games? The one where you needed their special Hucard along with the disc. Any speculation on whether it would play those games?

SignOfZeta

Looks great for noobs.
IMG

ccovell

This looks really awesome, good engineering.  Too damn expensive, so I'll stick with my CD games.

Once somebody adds a "savestate" button to the surface of the hardware, I'll buy it.  (I have proven that it is possible...)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 12/07/2017, 02:25 PMWe're talkin' about that in chatty.
speaking of, what the hell ever happened to getting something merged here for that?
Opey said to me the other day he's dumb and can't get IRC piping to work lol.   Maybe I will finally actually go to discord since IRC is just me and Fragmare, lolol.

This thing looks pretty neat, but too bad I have no use for it as of now.

Maybe by the time I want one it will get cheaper.  It could be useful for testing homebrew .

pretty bogus they couldn't be fucked to add component though. 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Gredler

I think it does have component out.

I also think I would be down to get one of these for my little coregrafx I got recently to make this my office unit for testing homebrew.

GohanX

It doesn't have component but it has a Genesis 2 av out so a HD Retrovision cable will work.

synbiosfan

Quote from: ccovell on 12/07/2017, 07:56 PMThis looks really awesome, good engineering.  Too damn expensive, so I'll stick with my CD games.

Once somebody adds a "savestate" button to the surface of the hardware, I'll buy it.  (I have proven that it is possible...)
I don't know if he was aware of "savestate" possibilities. No idea what he researched before starting.

Once people have the unit, I'm sure people will test it's bounds.

xcrement5x

Quote from: crazydean on 12/07/2017, 06:50 PMWhat was the company that made those pervy games? The one where you needed their special Hucard along with the disc. Any speculation on whether it would play those games?
That's an interesting point, the GameExpress games require both the CD and the custom system card to work properly, I wonder if this supports those. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

PCEngineTrev

Will this work on a TG16? I thought the expansion port had a different pin layout to the PCE one?
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: PCEngineTrev on 12/08/2017, 06:37 AMWill this work on a TG16? I thought the expansion port had a different pin layout to the PCE one?
They're the same, only the physical shape of the TG-16 shell is slightly different.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

PCEngineTrev

QuoteThey're the same, only the physical shape of the TG-16 shell is slightly different.
So you'd have to mess with the casing on the Super CD System to get it to fit?
IMG

mickcris

Quote from: PCEngineTrev on 12/08/2017, 08:04 AMSo youd have to mess with the casing on the Super CD System to get it to fit?
it should fit.  in the video on the thread in neo geo, it shows working on a tg16. its the connector that would interfere with it not fitting.  the slot where it goes in on a TG16 is smaller. other than that, the dimensions on the back of the console are the same.

here is an example of ten no koe 2.  if you remove the extra plastic (circled in red) from the connector, it fits fine on a tg16

IMG
IMG
the hole lines up perfectly with the ac adapter plug
IMG

they said they were going to test it soon to make sure though, but i dont see why it wouldn't fit.

the issue with the pinout being different on the exp port is just when you a modding one.  this is due to the pcb being upside down in shell.  it being on the opposite side of the board makes the pins you need to solder to different from the normal pinout posted all over for the pc engine.

PCEngineTrev

Thanks for the info!

Be interesting to see if this would work on my PAL TG.

An even more interesting thought is; could a smaller version of this be produced that would allow CD ISOs to run on a Turbo Express?
IMG

mickcris

Think they said it doesn't work on the pal version.   Not sure if that was just the video out or the whole thing though

CrackTiger

Quote from: PCEngineTrev on 12/08/2017, 09:04 AMThanks for the info!

An even more interesting thought is; could a smaller version of this be produced that would allow CD ISOs to run on a Turbo Express?
You should read the info in the link of the opening post of this thread.

It doesn't work with the PAL TurboGrafx. But the PAL TurboGrafx doesn't run real games properly in the first place and is strictly a collectible.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Quote from: crazydean on 12/07/2017, 06:50 PMWhat was the company that made those pervy games? The one where you needed their special Hucard along with the disc. Any speculation on whether it would play those games?
Games Express.  There's at least two different versions of their system card, and I'd hope this thing would support 'em for what it costs.  I'm sure it could play them if you own the real game and system card it came with, but those games aren't exactly common or cheap.

mickcris

I think i still have a pal system modded to ntsc.  If I do, I will try it once I get the super sd system 3.  I'm wondering if when it was tested, if they tried the original video out. I would think it might work that way. Just thinking it may have only been tried with the video connector on the super sd.

Edit:
After looking again, it looks like the creators tested it so it probably doesn't work.  Though it was gadget uk that had said the pal system didn't work

synbiosfan

Quote from: PCEngineTrev on 12/08/2017, 06:37 AMWill this work on a TG16? I thought the expansion port had a different pin layout to the PCE one?
The Turbografx version is about 2 weeks away.

synbiosfan

You can order again. Not sure if after x amount of transactions it'll block US buyers again.

Gentlegamer

As I noted at neo-geo.com, now I have a legit reason to get a PCE (despite already owning a Duo-R) other than being a collectard.
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 12/08/2017, 09:33 AM
Quote from: PCEngineTrev on 12/08/2017, 09:04 AMThanks for the info!

You should read the info in the link of the opening post of this thread.

It doesn't work with the PAL TurboGrafx. But the PAL TurboGrafx doesn't run real games properly in the first place and is strictly a collectible.
Yeah, considering the price of the thing I don't know why anyone wouldn't just buy a reasonably priced PCE Core or some kind to plug into it. What's an extra $60 when you're blowing hundreds on a device like this? Do some people really *need* the part in front to be 2.5x as wide for some reason?

I guess maybe if you fucked up and bought all your pads with big plugs on them for some reason, that would be a good excuse.
IMG

PukeSter

Looks absolutely fantastic! It's perfect considering I don't have a CD console (I play all that stuff on the laptop). I'll have to pick one up down the road if the price is a bit cheaper, and sell the everdrive.

Anyone know if this thing plays Altered Beast?

Keith Courage

interesting peace of hardware. Too expensive for me to validate getting one. Maybe when the price drops.

Has anyone seen this? https://starforcepi.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/the-pc-engine-sd/ Don't think it does CD games though.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keith Courage on 12/09/2017, 04:48 PMinteresting peace of hardware. Too expensive for me to validate getting one. Maybe when the price drops.
That's just a guy who takes existing consoles and sticks them in different boxes for fun.

synbiosfan

Quote from: guest on 12/09/2017, 04:03 PMAnyone know if this thing plays Altered Beast?
They haven't checked every game. The ones they have tried do.

They don't have a complete cd bin cue set.

SamIAm

I don't know if it will be useful to a whole lot of people besides me, but one cool thing about this product is that it creates an all-new C-sync signal out of the internal H and V digital sync signals.

The PCE's composite video signal and even its own internal digital C-sync have a flaw where one H-sync pulse at the top of every frame gets removed, and this can cause trouble on displays or converters that are expecting a perfect sync signal. The internal digital H and V sync signals, however, don't have this flaw, so it should be possible to create a perfect signal from them.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: PukeSter on 12/09/2017, 04:03 PMLooks absolutely fantastic! It's perfect considering I don't have a CD console (I play all that stuff on the laptop). I'll have to pick one up down the road if the price is a bit cheaper, and sell the everdrive.

Anyone know if this thing plays Altered Beast?
Everything can play Altered Beast:
The ultra rare second revision of the game that works on every system card has been dumped.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/09/2017, 10:56 PMI don't know if it will be useful to a whole lot of people besides me, but one cool thing about this product is that it creates an all-new C-sync signal out of the internal H and V digital sync signals.

The PCE's composite video signal and even its own internal digital C-sync have a flaw where one H-sync pulse at the top of every frame gets removed, and this can cause trouble on displays or converters that are expecting a perfect sync signal. The internal digital H and V sync signals, however, don't have this flaw, so it should be possible to create a perfect signal from them.
Would this potentially ruin flicker effects programmed around the timing of the original signal?

SamIAm

Quote from: guest on 12/10/2017, 02:17 AMWould this potentially ruin flicker effects programmed around the timing of the original signal?
Happily, it would have zero effect on that. Internally, all the timing for horizontal and vertical interrupts is completely regular. It's only when H and V sync get combined into C sync at the output stage that things get funky.

This is what the PCE's internal sync signals look like when recorded by a logic analyzer. You've got separate H and V sync, then the combined C sync at the bottom that gets mixed with composite video pretty much as-is. Bearing in mind that it's falling edges that the TV counts, compare the number of falling edges in the H sync line to the C sync line. C sync is missing one pulse at the end of the long V sync period.

IMG

TVs built to accept broadcast signals sent out over the airwaves have a robust error-correction circuit for sync called AFC, or automatic frequency control. It's primarily to prevent interference from triggering a horizontal refresh at the wrong time, but some older game consoles (and VCRs, too) rely on AFC to fix quirks in the sync signal timing.

Without it, you get this. I took this picture myself of a PCE running on an Ikegami studio master monitor built after 2000:

IMG

But again, this is just because of the weird way that the system combines the H and V sync pulses. To the software and even the part of the video processor that draws the picture itself, it's completely invisible.

If you really want to get crazy, the NES and SNES usually draw one horizontal line in 1364 ticks of the 21MHz master clock, but there is one line near the top of the screen that alternates between 1364 ticks and 1360 ticks in length every other frame. Apparently it was made this way to reduce dot-crawl, but it can cause a tiny amount of jitter in the top few displayed lines on very sensitive displays that aren't built with strong AFC.

The crazy thing is, it's not just an early pulse; the processing time for that horizontal line itself is 4 ticks short, too. There's no way to turn it off, but a guy over on the shmups.com forums has come up with a very interesting fix that works in both systems: with an FPGA, he basically cuts off the master clock signal and halts the entire system for 4 ticks every time that short line gets drawn. The system can't even tell the difference.

turboswimbz

Quote from: Keith Courage on 12/09/2017, 04:48 PMinteresting peace of hardware. Too expensive for me to validate getting one. Maybe when the price drops.

Has anyone seen this? https://starforcepi.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/the-pc-engine-sd/ Don't think it does CD games though.
I forget which forum, but the guy does these as a side hobby he has a bunch of systems he's redone like that.  and goes into more detail of each build.  I always wonder if it's worth getting plans like this and seeing about the practicality of actually building these things. 
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

touko

If you want more info about this device :
It's like an everdrive, but also for scdrom²(BRAM and ADPCM) and AC,a next step for hombrews .
a little bit expensive 240€, but not really if you consider all that it offer.
A scdrom²+AC+everdrive+rvb, i thing they cost mush more .

It feature:
HuCard Games
CD Games
Super CD Games
Arcade CD Games
Quality RGB
Amplified Sound
Save RAM Support
System Card Support (Additional RAM and BIOS)