10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Your Daily Dose of Gaming.

Started by Ninja Spirit, 07/15/2005, 01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR0N

Quote from: Gredler on 06/21/2016, 07:13 PMI've never been able to beat Castlevania III. II is a cakewalk esp if you have a walkthrough/know the gibberish, and I was challenging but achievable. III spanks me down and calls me a bitch every time I try to step up to it. That mimic boss and his level just destroy my hopes
You're doing it all wrong then the famicom version of CVIII is the one to play.Better music and a less difficult game to boot.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Gredler

Quote from: TR0N on 06/22/2016, 02:05 AM
Quote from: Gredler on 06/21/2016, 07:13 PMI've never been able to beat Castlevania III. II is a cakewalk esp if you have a walkthrough/know the gibberish, and I was challenging but achievable. III spanks me down and calls me a bitch every time I try to step up to it. That mimic boss and his level just destroy my hopes
You're doing it all wrong then the famicom version of CVIII is the one to play.Better music and a less difficult game to boot.
I hope to play that someday when I get a everdrive for my nes or a famicard cart converter and the game, but right now I only have unmodded nes and the US release.

I do also feel like I should be able to beat this game, I've practiced quite a bit - certainly put the effort in I would say - I just need to practice a bit more I guess.

During the previous sessions I've attempted to beat the game I used initially no guide and stumbled into alucard and got stuck on the falling brick section of the 8th level (I think).

The second time I attempted it, after seeing a charity speed run of the game, I thought shit I should try this sylpha lady and maybe it'd be easier, so I got a guide to get her and made it to the mimi level (level 9 I believe.) It was at that point, the level with the two tiers of water you have to wade through fighting birds and fishmen that I hit the wall. I had a very difficult time getting to the boss, let alone having enough lives and hp to practice fighting him.

In my current "password" I used the "helpme" cheat to get 9 lives, and the game is significantly easier being able to try the boss more than once or twice before restarting the level. I also was told by a friend to try using grant to get past difficult parts of the levels using his nimble wall climbing ability, which as also made it much easier.

I hope that with this combo, helpme and grant, I can at least get through the US version using official cheats.

Someday I will play the easier version with better music, but this game has stumped me for so long I really feel the need to defeat it using all of the tools the US devs gave me :P

esadajr

Quote from: TR0N on 06/22/2016, 02:05 AM
Couldn't agree more on that assessment, Akumajou Densetsu ftw.
Gaming since 1985

esadajr

This weekend I decided to tackle Magical Chase. Finished it on the first run. Either my shump skills are improving or this game is for shumps.

So with so much time to spare I began Zelda 3. Last time I tried to play it was back in 99 and couldn't get to the Dark Palace and just didn't bother with it again. Last night I made it past the maze and gave the 110 rupees to the monkey. I should be done by the weekend.
Gaming since 1985

wildfruit

I'm deep in a link between worlds. It's nice but not great. It must be pretty easy because I'm sailing through. Also the renting items part really doesn't serve any purpose.

geise

I've currently been playing through Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn.  A lot of people hate it mainly for the way they went with the pre-rendered art style.  I was the same way, but once I got it back in the day and played it, it was a lot of fun.  I would always get near the very end and my battery backup would die and I would lose my game saves.  Well, decades later I finally bought a Action Replay.  No way I'm going to lose my damn game save this  time.  Now I wait for my battery to die again and then my cart slot finally dies lol.

I am also playing through Muramasa Demon Blade on my Vita.

esadajr

Quote from: wildfruit on 07/04/2016, 03:09 PMI'm deep in a link between worlds. It's nice but not great. It must be pretty easy because I'm sailing through. Also the renting items part really doesn't serve any purpose.
Does it feel like A Link to the past part II?
Gaming since 1985

wildfruit

Quote from: esadajr on 07/05/2016, 12:44 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 07/04/2016, 03:09 PMI'm deep in a link between worlds. It's nice but not great. It must be pretty easy because I'm sailing through. Also the renting items part really doesn't serve any purpose.
Does it feel like A Link to the past part II?
For me, no. There are obviously similarities but it just feels like laziness rather than an inspired homage. It's not a bad game, just not special. I remember the first time I completed LTTP I felt a real sense of achievement (GBA version, I didn't have Snes). I don't have that with this.  If you can pick it up for cheap go for it but it's definitely not the AAA title reviewers make it out to be.

TR0N

PS4
Odin Sphere Leiftrasir,vanillaware out did them self with this remaster.
Neo-Geo
Crossed Swords 2
Cyber-Lip
IMG

PukeSter

Quote from: esadajr on 07/04/2016, 01:30 PMSo with so much time to spare I began Zelda 3. Last time I tried to play it was back in 99 and couldn't get to the Dark Palace and just didn't bother with it again. Last night I made it past the maze and gave the 110 rupees to the monkey. I should be done by the weekend.
Kinda same here. Never got past the 4th Dark World Dungeon, so I booted it up a few days ago. Finished it this morning.

My favorite Zelda is still Majora, but at least I can finally say I beat LTTP :D

I also finally beat Earthworm Jim 2 (after many years of off and on again efforts). I always liked the first one but the 2nd game has too many gimmick levels. At least the Blind Salamander stage is still amazing.

esadajr

Magical Chase for Windows 95, well, running on Windows 95.

Pretty much the same game as the PC Engine version. Nothing was improved or enhanced. They even got lazy with the music, just a bunch of prerecorded wav files, not even CD tracks.

/w834-h625-no
Gaming since 1985

NecroPhile

But CD tracks are wav files.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/25/2016, 12:25 PMBut CD tracks are wav files.
Indeed...I guess he might be suggesting that the soundtrack is...

I have no idea.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Maybe he meant they're recordings of the PCE tunes rather than some unique redbook remixes he was expecting?

esadajr

Quote from: guest on 07/25/2016, 12:42 PMMaybe he meant they're recordings of the PCE tunes rather than some unique redbook remixes he was expecting?
Yeah that's what I meant, they just recorded the PCE tunes into wavs, not even redbook audio to hear on your stereo, or via the CD drive analog cable.

Don't take me wrong, I like it was made for PC, but they could have made it better.
Gaming since 1985

wildfruit

Currently replaying Star Trek Next Generation: A Final Unity. A great DOS game. Played this through many times about 20 years ago. It's great, apart from the very glitchy battle mechanics. Better plot than a lot of the episodes and films.

gheebee

Got myself a bootleg, translated Adventure Island IV NES cart last week and completed the game today. It's a shame that this one wasn't released in English because it's a lot of fun and, in some ways, is better than the other games in the series (even though they're all fantastic games, imo). At first it seemed like it was too easy but the difficulty really picks up in level 5 to the point where the game gets a little tedious; ultimately it is satisfying to rescue all of the dinosaurs and then your wife though. Before today the only other Adventure Island game that I ever beat was New Adventure Island.
I really kind of hate the idea of people repurposing games like this but I guess not enough to resist buying this...

munchiaz

Still playing Street Fighter V. Trying to learn Balrog as he is my main in ST and SFIV. Hes so different in SFV though, and as it stands hes not very good. But he can do a ton of damage if he has Vtrigger and 2 stocks of meter.Still fun, just frustrating to learn him.

esadajr

A couple of hours last night playing Enduro, Megamania and Snoopy for the 2600. Nothing like playing Atari in the middle of the night.
Gaming since 1985

crazydean

Just got my NESRGB going and I'm all about playing some NES right now. Anyway, I recently finished New Adventure Island (awesome game) so I began with playing Adventure Island. It's not my favorite and the graphics aren't so great. You can tell it's an early game.

However, Adventure Island II is fucking awesome! I remember playing this game 20 years ago on my friend's Sharp Nintendo TV (turns out those are pretty rare these days). Anyway, it's Adventure Island with dinosaurs. Pretty great, if you ask me.

P.S. I've been playing around with the color palettes. I typically prefer the Playchoice-10 colors. The Garish just doesn't do anything for me.

Digi.k

crap there are too many games to play this month!

Tried a little gain ground for the pc engine but that's been overshadowed by:

Forza Horizon 3 demo which is amazing,  Getting about 90% of MAME roms to work on my PI3, and now I have a backlog of PSX games on there to play along with Dragon Quest 7 on the 3DS and now having Virtua Fighter 5 FS as backward compatible on the xbone.

munchiaz

Been playing KOF XIV for the past few weeks. Really happy with it, and haven't touched SFV since it came out. Also picked up Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse this week, and started that as well. They say its better than SMT IV, not sure how thats possible, but i will find out soon

TR0N

PS3
Metal Gear Solid 3,just one in the series that i want to complete finally.

Retro Freak
Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
IMG

esadajr

Last Gladiators. My new favorite pinball videogame.
Gaming since 1985

DQ187

Just hit the 40 hour mark on Dragon Quest VII on 3DS! Really enjoying the game! Was a little surprised its not till around 30 hours into the game till you can change your vocation, also about 2 hours or so in before you even have your first battle. But its fun! :) Always love the Dragon Quest games!  :P

Psycho Punch

Yakuza 5. Check out my 1CC playthrough I just recorded, I AM THE KING OF VIRTUA FIGHTER 2 BIATCHESSSSSS
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esadajr

Not much, just some PES 2017
Gaming since 1985

Mishran

Finally picked up a game controller for the first time in months. Been too busy working and having a blast playing airsoft during my far to little free time. Just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles X which I picked up new for $30 at Target a few months ago and so far have been performing very poorly. Either major grinding is necessary for progression or I'm doing something wrong.

Hop on now and then to read posts during lunch at work, but don't find the time or interest to post on here very often obviously. Hopefully that'll change, but its unlikely.

TR0N

Quote from: Mishran on 10/09/2016, 08:27 PMFinally picked up a game controller for the first time in months. Been too busy working and having a blast playing airsoft during my far to little free time. Just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles X which I picked up new for $30 at Target a few months ago and so far have been performing very poorly. Either major grinding is necessary for progression or I'm doing something wrong.

Hop on now and then to read posts during lunch at work, but don't find the time or interest to post on here very often obviously. Hopefully that'll change, but its unlikely.
To progress in Xenoblade Chronicles X you will have to complete side missions and the main ones as well.Don't forget to mine to for better materials etc.
IMG

crazydean

A friend let me borrow Super Mario RPG, and I finished it in about four days. I have an SD2SNES, but this is one of the few that doesn't work. The school shut down due to the hurricane so I had a five day weekend. Glad it was just a precaution, though.

jtucci31

Been playing Until Dawn on the PS4 lately with my girlfriend. It's a pretty fun game that seems like it won't be all that long, which is great. We want to maybe try out The Last of Us next.

I also recently beat the Nathan Drake Uncharted HD Collection on PS4 about a week ago or so, can't wait to play the 4th!

But in the meantime MGS  :mrgreen:

munchiaz

River City:Tokyo Rumble on the 3DS. A great Kunio game. Plays a lot like RCR, but has a bunch of new modern features, like doing jobs (quest) to earn extra money.

Shin Megami Tensei: Apocalypse. The SMT JRPGs are so refreshing. This one is no different. Great story so far, and great combat

King of fighters XIV: Kind of dropped SFV to focus on this game. Its just so much more fun than SFV. I really like the max mode system of XIII's HD mode. Makes it much easier to get in and play and learn.

Gredler

Quote from: Mishran on 10/09/2016, 08:27 PMFinally picked up a game controller for the first time in months. Been too busy working and having a blast playing airsoft during my far to little free time. Just started playing Xenoblade Chronicles X which I picked up new for $30 at Target a few months ago and so far have been performing very poorly. Either major grinding is necessary for progression or I'm doing something wrong.

The whole game is basically a grind - fun if you're into that which I am. I suggest like posted above to do all of the side quests available before moving onto the story quests, that should get you enough exp. If I had one tip for someone starting out new it would be to swap party members out whenever you can to build affinity as best as possible early. I got caught in a position that I did have to do major griding to progress to build affinity between story required characters.

blueraven

Talespin and Ninja Warriors. About two runs each during the rain storm.

Gredler

I downloaded the Dragon Quest Builders demo, and holy shit I should not have done that - I want to play more! I never got into Minecraft, but I loved Terreria and played about 150 hours of that on steam (most played steam game since they started tracking that). I got totally bit by the bug to see more, and I really enjoyed the gameplay and graphics. The music is beautifully done, and the entire package is just so frigging naustalgic. I very well may be breaking form and spending 60$ on a current gen game for this

Digi.k

went back to playing Sleeping Dogs since United Front Games got shut down..

IMG

Digi.k

Back to Animal Crossing New Leaf.

Big Big update on there 3 years after it's original release!

/WVW69jxKauQv5KvuDu

and Fallout IV just keeps me playing with caution :D

IMG

mackdanger

I've been playing a lot of Dark Seal and Sengoku Blade lately. Gonna bust out the Duo-R and fire up Dungeon Explorer 2 this weekend.
Check out "Skill Sets" my 1CC / No Death video series:
https://www.youtube.com/user/richardgalactic

jtucci31

Quote from: Digi.k on 11/03/2016, 12:25 AMBack to Animal Crossing New Leaf.

Big Big update on there 3 years after it's original release!

/WVW69jxKauQv5KvuDu
This was weird. The update has amiibo/RV guests/ new Settlers of Catan stuff? Interesting. I think after Christmas is over I'll buy myself a 3DS to get back into New Leaf.

I've been playing Metal Gear Solid 2. Hell of a lot of fun so far, especially now that I've gotten past the chunky MGS 1 (still absolutely loved it though).

NecroPhile

Gredler

New leaf was the first animal crossing game I had played, and I am almost ashamed to admit how much I played the little chore simulator, but somehow it hooked me and I played the living shit out of it. I might go back for more with this update, since I have a few amiibos (though I have no animal crossing amiibos, all smash and Mario :/ )

I am still considering picking up dragon quest builders despite my hesitation to pay the going rate for new releases. The demo is so addicting and I really love the presentation as a whole. Those sound effects just tickle my nostalgia button so well, and the music is beautifully performed

munchiaz

Berserk Musou came in the mail. Been playing that. For those who don't know. Its a Dynasty warriors game, set in the universe of the Manga/anime Berserk

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 11/03/2016, 01:23 AMThis was weird. The update has amiibo/RV guests/ new Settlers of Catan stuff? Interesting. I think after Christmas is over I'll buy myself a 3DS to get back into New Leaf.
The update now gives you the following options.
/WVW69jxKrZQc06iM5T

There are tonne more items to collect now and now another currency is used which is MEOW tickets which need to be exchanged for items that campers with their RV's bring into your camping grounds.

Earn MEOW tickets at the CAT machine
/WVW69jxKOUs91CDb7X

Complete daily initiatives to earn MEOW tickets.
/WVW69jxKjE0OvUHSX1

IMG

Wisp now resides in the game and you have to unlock him first by finding his lamp
/WVW69jxU9OsHZDnd1k

Some of these items will only turn up with amiibo characters.
IMG

Harvey the camping hippy (maybe KK's relative)? Also has new items for trade.
/WVW69jxdFIETQKB0iu

Lottie from the Happy Home Designer game appears and you can arrange your home furniture much more easily by just dragging and dropping with the touch screen.
/WVW69jxVd7QC9bAK84

New items imported from the Happy Home Designer game are massive
IMG

crazydean

I love that meow tickets come from the cat machine. Not sure why that's funny but it is

csgx1

Quote from: munchiaz on 11/03/2016, 03:42 PMBerserk Musou came in the mail. Been playing that. For those who don't know. Its a Dynasty warriors game, set in the universe of the Manga/anime Berserk
Any good?  I like the Dreamcast and PS2 Berserk games.

roflmao

I've been tinkering a lot with my DS Lite, now that I have a flashcard that can obey. :P

IMG
IMG

It's an Ace3ds plus card and cost just under $10 shipped from HK. It can play most (all?) DS games, but the magic for me is the emulators included. It comes with emulators for NES/SNES/Genesis/OBEY/GB/GBC/Neo Geo, but really all I've done is obey on it since it arrived. The screen is really nice, though sound emulation is not great. Redbook audio is perfect but sampled sounds dont seem to work right, or at all.

chany60126

After weeks of practicing, I was finally able to beat Silver Surfer on the NES. It is definitely the hardest game I have ever beaten. IMG

munchiaz

Been playing a lil Dimahoo trying to see how far i can get on 1 continue. Also i have been learning Urien in street fighter V

Gredler

I have been knee deep in Bravely Default lately, and I've been loving it. The graphics are so uniquely executed, hand painted style taken to a whole other level. I try to play it in 3D, it looks so good, but it strains my eyes so I only turn it on during specific shots to look at the 3D images of the environments as the camera zooms in and out. The battles parallax panning backgrounds and awesome character designs make the 3D effect great too. This is the first game where I've really paid mind to the 3D of the system, but with it turned off it's still one of the best games I've played in a long time. For me, this is RPG nirvana and I regret putting it off as long as I have.

roflmao

Quote from: chany60126 on 11/09/2016, 12:17 AMAfter weeks of practicing, I was finally able to beat Silver Surfer on the NES. It is definitely the hardest game I have ever beaten. IMG
Awesome!