Best animations in 8bit and 16bit games

Started by Nando, 10/25/2013, 02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nando

What games just took your breath away with it's character animations?

In no particular order:

Dracula X
Super Mario World
Metal Storm
Earth Worm Jim
Aladdin
Rolling Thunder
Out of this world
magical pop'n

are the ones that stand out to my mind the most, at least right now.

JoshTurboTrollX

I always thought Moon Crystal looked amazing for NES graphics!
Also, Batman Return of the Joker is my all time favorite for best looking NES cart-
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

DragonmasterDan

Prince of Persia and Flashback.

The Genesis version of Aladdin.

Earthworm Jim.
--DragonmasterDan

VenomMacbeth

Sword Master on the NES has SNES-level animation.
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nando

Whoah! Never seen that "moon crystal" game before. wow

Totally forgot about the Prince and Flashback.  I also recall seeing Sword Master before, but only on screen shots. If you told me it was an 8Bit Actraiser prequel, I would have believed it! lol

Sapphire is pretty spectacular.

bob

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

sirhcman

Does Blade Buster count on the NES? If so I was pretty amazed by what they were able to do with the NES hardware

Nando

Quote from: guest on 10/25/2013, 11:28 PMDoes Blade Buster count on the NES? If so I was pretty amazed by what they were able to do with the NES hardware
Do you mean blaster master?

esteban

Quote from: Nando on 10/26/2013, 09:43 AM
Quote from: guest on 10/25/2013, 11:28 PMDoes Blade Buster count on the NES? If so I was pretty amazed by what they were able to do with the NES hardware
Unreleased Crude Buster prototype.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

sirhcman

No there was a caravan homebrew made 2-3 years ago by someone, it runs on the NES hardware

Blade Buster (NES/Famicom Homebrew Shoot 'Em Up)

VenomMacbeth

Quote from: guest on 10/26/2013, 11:52 AM
No there was a caravan homebrew made 2-3 years ago by someone, it runs on the NES hardware

Blade Buster (NES/Famicom Homebrew Shoot 'Em Up)
And it uses music from Super Star Soldier. :3
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

EvilEvoIX

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 10/25/2013, 03:27 PMPrince of Persia and Flashback.

The Genesis version of Aladdin.

Earthworm Jim.
Indeed these are among the best if not the best.
IMGIMGIMG
Quote from: PCEngineHellI already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so fuck him, and his cunt wife.

Sadler

Xak

Genesis Aladdin for shizzle

Slipheed for Sega CD maybe baby?

Beyond Shadowgate

8bit. ILLUSION CITY for the MSX by far. 1989 cyberpunk epic of an RPG. (sega CD version ruined the music)
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

Nando

NecroPhile

It'll work with a 2 button controller (like any other vs. fighter will), but who'd want to?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 10/28/2013, 11:07 AMbut who'd want to?
Indeed. I have a copy of SFII' and it doesn't get as much play because of that.  Need to fix that in the near future.

This thread is pretty awesome, there are some 8 bit titles that still rock it on the animation front. Sure they may not have as many colors but DAMN, look at the things move..

What's the Ernest Evan like game on the PCE? similar graphic style to Flashback/Prince of Persia?

Tatsujin

Nando

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/28/2013, 11:34 AMFiend Hunter?
You sir, read my mind. I've only played the game for a little bit, gets some time to get started but I had fun. I need to get back on that one again. Lots of text at the beginning was almost a turn off.

CrackTiger

Phantasy Star has better 3D dungeon animation than any 16-bit game and every enemy is huge and well animated.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Nando

Quote from: guest on 10/28/2013, 01:23 PMPhantasy Star has better 3D dungeon animation than any 16-bit game and every enemy is huge and well animated.
I'm assuming you mean SMS Phatasy Star?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Nando on 10/28/2013, 03:56 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/28/2013, 01:23 PMPhantasy Star has better 3D dungeon animation than any 16-bit game and every enemy is huge and well animated.
I'm assuming you mean SMS Phatasy Star?
The Mega Drive version also counts.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

geise

Not that it's a good game but Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure for Genesis and Sega CD has really nice sprite animations.

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure. Intro and gameplay

Nando

Very impressive animation! Thanks bud!

Ray

Seiken Densetsu 3 on the Super Famicom(Secret of Mana's Japan only successor) has some of the most amazing 2D graphics/animation on the system, with barely any slowdown. Unfortunately it's also riddled with bugs, but what Square game isn't?

Seiken Densetsu 3(Action RPG, Super Famicom)
For some reason, this game never had any form of re-release, even on the Japanese Virtual Console.

PukeSter

Tomna's death animation in Legend of Hero "Tonma" is exemplary.

Opethian

bad apple demo NES

the genny demo is even more impressive :D
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Opethian on 12/12/2013, 10:50 AM

bad apple demo NES

Gulliver Boy's cinemas are even more impressive. :D

Arkhan Asylum

Double Dungeons animation is better and has more shading.   Granted, it's smaller.

Shining in the Darkness is also better.  I suspect they reused alot of ideas from PS1 to do it, anyway.

My favorite animation in games comes from Flashback, definitely.

I also like the animation in some NES games, even though its simple (Faxanadu and Battle of Olympus)

Shadow of the Beast, also.   Not alot of animation, but the stuff that does animate, animates great.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Opethian

Quote from: guest on 12/12/2013, 02:45 PM
Quote from: Opethian on 12/12/2013, 10:50 AM

bad apple demo NES

Gulliver Boy's cinemas are even more impressive. :D
more color fo sho
IMG

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!