10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Horrible retro gaming stores

Started by Arbitern1, 06/26/2016, 03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HailingTheThings

Quote from: guest on 06/27/2016, 11:26 PM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 06/27/2016, 10:57 PMHave you *played* Time Gal?  That game blows.
Specifically that port or in general? Always looked kind of cool to me.
Sega CD port looks meh. Try it on the Saturn/PS1.
IMG

geise

SignOfZeta

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 06/27/2016, 10:57 PMHave you *played* Time Gal?  That game blows.
Up your nose with a rubber hose.
IMG

TR0N

Raise hand then quietly walks out the door  :oops:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

TheClash603

Time Gal is great, except for those damn multiple choice squiggly sections.

DildoKKKobold

Quote from: esteban on 06/26/2016, 06:38 AMIt is a sad time for many traditional brick-n-mortar stores: they have to pay rent/staff paychecks so prices tend to skew high. Plus, keeping inventory is an issue that has always plagued businesses (how do you keep a steady supply of popular titles in stock? what do you do with 90% of the stuff that just sits on the shelf?)

Then, even if a store sold stuff at a fair price, flippers come by and throw it back on eBay at inflated price tag.
Here in my area, we have a really nice set of stores. They price fairly, i.e., not worth flipping, definitely worth buying. However, anyone from out of town would say the store sucks. Why? Because the store is empty of stuff worth buying. Anything new that is brought in, that is attractive to collectors is posted to the local facebook group, and gone in under an hour. The retro scene out here is just that hot. Pricing 5-15% under eBay guarantees nearly instant sales.

So, either a store sucks because they have no inventory, or they suck because their prices are too high. How does a store look good with the state of things being what they are?
For a good time, email: kylethomson@gmail.com
Dildos provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
DoxPhile .com / chat
IMG

BigusSchmuck

I personally have had mixed results with brick and mortar stores. The few I have visited in Eugene Oregon have been pretty reasonable. But in the Portland Oregon, jesus some of these places must have been hit by the stupid hammer. Telling me Japanese games are Pal games and they don't buy them. WTF. This was coming from a "respectable store" that had tons of product, but all freaking overpriced. We are talking about a $400 Turbo CD bare unit (no cables, not even a system 2.0 card) and expect people to shell that kind of money out on it. Sad part is, they mark up their games even more so at PRGE every year. Ugh. Retro Game Trader, I'm not sure how you stay in business, but feeding off people's ignorance must be making you money.

Gredler

I recently found a comic book store in my area that prices games competitive to ebay, some higher some lower, which is more than I can say about the only other option I could find near my house for years now (luna videogames.)

I was happy to find a new brick and morter place to support, I don't buy comics but can support a local business if they sell games I'm interested in playing at a price that at least competes with ebay.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gredler on 06/29/2016, 12:59 PMI recently found a comic book store in my area that prices games competitive to ebay, some higher some lower, which is more than I can say about the only other option I could find near my house for years now (luna videogames.)

I was happy to find a new brick and morter place to support, I don't buy comics but can support a local business if they sell games I'm interested in playing at a price that at least competes with ebay.
But according to Pat and Ian Luna is where it's at. And if you follow their video advice you can refrain from being a "dirt bag seller of the week"

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/29/2016, 02:02 PMAnd if you follow their video advice you can refrain from being a "dirt bag seller of the week"
get it right.. scumbag seller of the week! ;)

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 06/29/2016, 02:24 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/29/2016, 02:02 PMAnd if you follow their video advice you can refrain from being a "dirt bag seller of the week"
Lol something bag. Lol.

sirhcman

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/29/2016, 02:26 PM
Quote from: guest on 06/29/2016, 02:24 PM
Lol something bag. Lol.
I feel ashamed I listen to some of their stuff.. it's a guilty pleasure :)

seieienbu

Hilariously, Game Over was doing a thing where June is Turbo Grafx month.  Bring in turbo stuff for trade at RIDICULOUS RATES!  I don't recall all the prices, but one stuck out.  If you have a Neutopia 2 CIB?  You can get $75 in store credit!

I asked the clerk, apparently nobody had brought in any turbo stuff.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Medic_wheat

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/29/2016, 04:56 PMHilariously, Game Over was doing a thing where June is Turbo Grafx month.  Bring in turbo stuff for trade at RIDICULOUS RATES!  I don't recall all the prices, but one stuck out.  If you have a Neutopia 2 CIB?  You can get $75 in store credit!

One of the three game over stores in my area has a few hu cards. But it's all just sports titles loose games for $35 a game.

They do have a selection of import games but they are all priced to too high. Not to mention one of the stores had had a copy of Rondo of Blood CIB for $300 plus tax.

I find it funny they complain that they can't give much for import games because they don't sell. Yet they price import games at a price point higher then eBay. If you are trying to sell import games which is a nitch market to start that is handicapped by the fact it is to local people only not a world wide market like the internet youd think thuebwould price their import stuff to move.

Or even better set t up to demo some of the import games that would make for easy sales like your Mario games and non text heavy stuff.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: seieienbu on 06/29/2016, 04:56 PMHilariously, Game Over was doing a thing where June is Turbo Grafx month.  Bring in turbo stuff for trade at RIDICULOUS RATES!  I don't recall all the prices, but one stuck out.  If you have a Neutopia 2 CIB?  You can get $75 in store credit!

Exactly my point. The people in this thread will never be satisfied in this climate because it's impossible for the store to please you. The world is a lot bigger than it was in the TG-16 days, there are a lot more people buying the games, and for some reason they have to own ALL OF THEM. They can't keep the shit in stock (lame store) unless they play the high roller game (rip off store).

Why don't you guys get a hobby that's not so fucking popular?
IMG

CGQuarterly

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 06/29/2016, 09:53 PMWhy don't you guys get a hobby that's not so fucking popular?
Most of my hobbies weren't popular when I got started with them.  I was collecting games when they were other people's garbage.  Same thing when I started listening to vinyl.  At least making YouTube videos doesn't really cost anything...

SignOfZeta

I'm with you there. Honestly video gaming takes way less out of my budget than my "fun" car, my synthesizer collection, or my kid's growing pile of Playmobil. I don't feel compelled to own insane piles of games though. I've been doing this since arcade games were black and white but I only have maybe 1000 games. A lot of noob power collectors simply couldn't handle that rate of aquisition. Some do that in a year.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: guest on 06/29/2016, 06:34 AM
Quote from: esteban on 06/26/2016, 06:38 AMIt is a sad time for many traditional brick-n-mortar stores: they have to pay rent/staff paychecks so prices tend to skew high. Plus, keeping inventory is an issue that has always plagued businesses (how do you keep a steady supply of popular titles in stock? what do you do with 90% of the stuff that just sits on the shelf?)

Then, even if a store sold stuff at a fair price, flippers come by and throw it back on eBay at inflated price tag.
Here in my area, we have a really nice set of stores. They price fairly, i.e., not worth flipping, definitely worth buying. However, anyone from out of town would say the store sucks. Why? Because the store is empty of stuff worth buying. Anything new that is brought in, that is attractive to collectors is posted to the local facebook group, and gone in under an hour. The retro scene out here is just that hot. Pricing 5-15% under eBay guarantees nearly instant sales.

So, either a store sucks because they have no inventory, or they suck because their prices are too high. How does a store look good with the state of things being what they are?
Exactly.

Since this paradox cannot be solved...

The only thing that a store can do is to try to create a "community" based on interests/needs: the local (to me) Digital Press store has monthly events (I've never been to one, but one of these days...ha!) and my brother used to go play Magic/board games/chess at various shops over the past 30 years (they tended to be comic+book shops that had strong D&D/board game/anime inventory in addition to the usual comics).

I just think that Magic/board games/D&D lend themselves naturally to the "need" for a community (the social component of these games).

If I had a store, I would try to build a community around co-op games like Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer, MicroMachines, Rampart, Wonderboy III Monster Lair, AeroBlasters/Air Buster, Etc.

I would ban all fighting games, sports games, beatemups, Magic The Gathering (and its kin).

The name of my store would be "ONLY THE LONELY"

It might morph into a commune.

The irony.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Medic_wheat

Quote from: esteban on 06/30/2016, 07:25 AM
Quote from: guest on 06/29/2016, 06:34 AM

Exactly.

Since this paradox cannot be solved...

The only thing that a store can do is to try to create a "community" based on interests/needs: the local (to me) Digital Press store has monthly events (I've never been to one, but one of these days...ha!) and my brother used to go play Magic/board games/chess at various shops over the past 30 years (they tended to be comic+book shops that had strong D&D/board game/anime inventory in addition to the usual comics).

I just think that Magic/board games/D&D lend themselves naturally to the "need" for a community (the social component of these games).

If I had a store, I would try to build a community around co-op games like Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer, MicroMachines, Rampart, Wonderboy III Monster Lair, AeroBlasters/Air Buster, Etc.

I would ban all fighting games, sports games, beatemups, Magic The Gathering (and its kin).

The name of my store would be "ONLY THE LONELY"

It might morph into a commune.

The irony.
It would be much eaisier to make a new religion based on your new store. That or a cult. Same thing

Gredler

What is the flavor of the house coolaid?

wildfruit

Gredler

Quote from: wildfruit on 06/30/2016, 01:28 PMLemon
Wrong.

Black Licorice, sorry but we were looking for Black Licorice.

esteban

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 06/30/2016, 09:49 AMIt would be much eaisier to make a new religion based on your new store. That or a cult. Same thing
Yes, but occasionally it happens. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

xcrement5x

Yeah, there are a couple places local to me, but only one that I will regularly hit as they offer me about 50% as trade in and price pretty close to ebay.  I'm happy to offload cruft I wouldn't want to arse with selling/trading otherwise and a lot of the employees are decent people. 

They've been in business now for at least 5 years and have moved once to expand even.  They even do monthly specials which is pretty cool.  Like last month was 15% off all cartridge games, and if you were a Dad you could get a $5 or less game for free. 

bartre

I went to the dedicated "electronics" goodwill in Lincoln, NE last week.
Holy buckets, what a total shithole.

as with all of these specialized locations, they have an area for the games.
had an SNES - $80.
had a Wii - $60
had an N64 -$95

At least they had some good games...... priced above ebay.
I couldn't wait to pay $55 for a copy of Super Mario World.