@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Gamestop = FAIL

Started by blueraven, 12/24/2010, 12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueraven

Opethian

IMG

NO I DONT WANT THE NEW MADDEN
NO I DONT WANT THE NEW HALO
NO I DONT WANT THE NEW NBA

If there isn't a commercial about the game they haven't heard of it, thanks Lamestop
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Someone get an air horn, quick!  :lol:
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

chany60126

Let it be known, I am a big time hater of Gamestop, or Gameflop as I like to call it. They gobbled up some of my favorite stores such as Electronics Boutique, Funcoland and Software ETC., which sold great products. But that was in the past.

Look at the stores today. The stores don't seem to care about the games anymore. Why are they discarding the cases and manuals for DS games? That is utter BS. Just imagine how easy it is to lose one of microscopic cards, not to mention the drastic loss of appeal w/o packaging.  It is also pathetic how they store their PS2 games. I know they are phasing them out now, but come on. They have them in flimsy half torn paper covers for people to sift through with their grubby hands. When you try to trade something in, you are lucky if you get 1/5 of the selling price. They keep hassling you to buy their shitty 10% discount card. STFU, I just want my game leave me alone.

It is sad that the video game industry is moving towards complete digital download for games. There is nothing like owning the physical copy of a game that will always work regardless of hardware malfunctions or servers that are shut down. While this topic could encompass a whole elaborate thread by itself. One thing I wouldn't miss are those turd gobblers at Gamestop. 

Power to the players? More like power to those greedy corporate pigs that are trying to milk customers for all they are worth.

Arkhan Asylum

I only get games there if theres a cool pre-order bonus for a game.

otherwise, I find it at the local stores that aren't all gay'ed up with OMG TRADEINS GMIMIMIME

and most gamestop employees are ignorant jackasses that are like HERPDPEHRPRP I KNOW GAEMS ACAUSE IM WORKIN AT A GAMeSTOP.

DA FUCKS A TARBO GRAPHICS.  IS THAT LIKE THE NINTENDO64?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

jboypacman

As i former employee of Electronics Boutique during the "Golden Age" of the 16-Bit era i can say with out a shadow of doubt that Game Stop is just a terrible store.

Electronics Boutique wasn't a perfect store but at least all of us that worked there knew about and understood the history of video games and actually played video games.

Today GameStop workers have no sense or understanding of video games and the history of them and the stores policies on how they deal with used games is just horrible.

"Let's don't keep the cases to our games and let's rip off people by giving them the lest amount on there trades and turn around and sale our used games for $5 less then a brand new one".

Yup that is what customers want from  GameStop if i had a modern system(which i don't) i would just go to Target or Wal-Mart to buy my games new and at cheaper prices.

TGX16

Not living in the US, I can not have much of an opinion regarding the mentioned gameshops.
However the same seems applicable in Sweden.
Gameshop-employees have next to no knowlegde about older systems!
Gameshops online however, think they know everything and try to sell at
completely outrageuos pricing on their homepages and on lokal auctionpages
(in Sweden www.Tradera.com)
and on ebay.co.uk (look for a Swedish seller selling Turbografx games at two or
three times the normal pricing for the same games and you know what I meen!)

Marll

I've stopped doing any business with GameStop at all, unless there is some crazy awesome pre-order bonus I can't pass up, but mostly that hasn't been the case in years.

Most of their employees are complete morons, and unless the game is mainstream and super popular, they've never heard of it.
Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

rag-time4

I'm pretty lucky, I suppose, because the three gamestop stores near me are staffed by some pretty solid game nerds. I like to drop in every now and then because they still have games for older systems (ps2/gamecube) for sale complete in case for 10 bucks or less. Interestingly, I think I have 6 gamestop stores within a 30 mile/minute radius.

DragonmasterDan

Some of the GameStops near me have started tossing the cases and manuals for used DS games. Why? Because it frees up space in the store. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--DragonmasterDan

nikdog

Quote from: rag-time4 on 12/27/2010, 10:18 PMI'm pretty lucky, I suppose, because the three gamestop stores near me are staffed by some pretty solid game nerds. I like to drop in every now and then because they still have games for older systems (ps2/gamecube) for sale complete in case for 10 bucks or less. Interestingly, I think I have 6 gamestop stores within a 30 mile/minute radius.
I seem to have the same thing as you, but it's about 1/4 nerd, 1/2 asshole, and 1/4 Corporate Sales types.
IMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMGIMG

rag-time4

Quote from: nikdog on 12/27/2010, 10:33 PM
Quote from: rag-time4 on 12/27/2010, 10:18 PMI'm pretty lucky, I suppose, because the three gamestop stores near me are staffed by some pretty solid game nerds. I like to drop in every now and then because they still have games for older systems (ps2/gamecube) for sale complete in case for 10 bucks or less. Interestingly, I think I have 6 gamestop stores within a 30 mile/minute radius.
I seem to have the same thing as you, but it's about 1/4 nerd, 1/2 asshole, and 1/4 Corporate Sales types.
Haha the guys here will do the whole corporate deal but on the whole they like to be engaged in conversation about games.

nikdog

Quote from: rag-time4 on 12/27/2010, 10:43 PM
Quote from: nikdog on 12/27/2010, 10:33 PMI seem to have the same thing as you, but it's about 1/4 nerd, 1/2 asshole, and 1/4 Corporate Sales types.
Haha the guys here will do the whole corporate deal but on the whole they like to be engaged in conversation about games.
Well I ment the population of gamestop employees are 1/4 nerd, 1/2 asshole, and 1/4 Corporate Sales types.

The nerd ones will mention corporate crap but won't push it.

TR0N

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 12/27/2010, 10:22 PMSome of the GameStops near me have started tossing the cases and manuals for used DS games. Why? Because it frees up space in the store. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the reason why i hate buying used games from lamestop,them having imcomplete games or there scratched up.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Marll

The final straw for me was when I went to buy a PS3 game once and the guy tried giving me a used copy at new prices, when there was a sealed one right behind the counter. I called him on it and he tried some lame excuse like "It's policy that we have to take the new games out of the cases, this IS a new game". Told him he better give me the sealed one or I'd go somewhere else.... Long story short, I went somewhere else.

nikdog

Quote from: Marll on 12/28/2010, 12:22 PMThe final straw for me was when I went to buy a PS3 game once and the guy tried giving me a used copy at new prices, when there was a sealed one right behind the counter. I called him on it and he tried some lame excuse like "It's policy that we have to take the new games out of the cases, this IS a new game". Told him he better give me the sealed one or I'd go somewhere else.... Long story short, I went somewhere else.
They do actually open a new one and put the case out on the shelf. However they are also supposed to give you the sealed one upon request if available.

blueraven

I'm glad that there has been such a response. Thanks guys.

When FuncoLand still existed, they began to implement the policy of keeping all of the game boxes and only selling the game without the box or instructions (NES, SNES, Genny, Sega CD). I was so annoyed with my local store in Madison, (1999 or so) I called the corporate headquarters, who told me that this wasn't the company's policy. Upon going to another store in an outlet mall in Brookfield, I got complete copies of Kings Quest 5, Faxanadu, and Final Fantasy. The manager said to me:

"Who would want just the cartridge when the rest of the game is in such good shape? Heck, we don't need the clutter here."

The owners of the Madison store were just implementing a fascist policy for no reason. The store in Downtown Milwaukee also offered to sell me complete copies, and told me that the owners of the Madison store were in violation of policy.

At my high school we started a boycott of the local FuncoLand, and they went out of business shortly thereafter (our boycott probably did nothing, as they were bought out). The locally owned Video Game X-Change still exists there, and is still competing with Gamestop.

The best way you can give these fuckers the what-for is to take your business local IF you can.

Wunder-stories of Babbages will follow shortly.

Marll

Yeah I usually do my business with local shops here, and there is one that is called Reset Games that is actually staffed by nice people that know what they are talking about! It's a nice place to shop and trade in games (trade in value is much better too). Too bad they never have Turbo stuff, but tons of NES, Genesis, etc. as well as all the new stuff.

NecroPhile

I've never bought anything from GameStop, and based on their reputation I likely never will.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Opethian

well since Amazon started to carry a large selection of games I never had to step foot in a Lamestop for domestic games.

POX ON THEM!!!!
IMG

nikdog

Quote from: blueraven on 12/28/2010, 01:20 PMThe locally owned Video Game X-Change still exists there, and is still competing with Gamestop.

The best way you can give these fuckers the what-for is to take your business local IF you can.
I love Game X-Change, sadly where I live there are not local business game stores :/ Atlest that I know of.

TR0N

Quote from: Opethian on 12/28/2010, 01:39 PMwell since Amazon started to carry a large selection of games I never had to step foot in a Lamestop for domestic games.

POX ON THEM!!!!
Ditto i give amazon more of my business these days for domestic release.
IMG

geralds

Gamestop pissed me off yesterday throwing away good ds cases. saying they were a handy capabilty store and needed  room and i was like but there good cases they said company policy so i said give me all the cases and they said cant company polocy and i was like thats bs they but proced to rip the cases in half so no one could have them.

Joe Redifer

Is it just DS cases?

geralds

All it seems to me but for all we know there doing it with disk games as well and even psp umds i wouldnt put it passed them.

blueraven

Quote from: geralds on 12/29/2010, 04:18 PMAll it seems to me but for all we know there doing it with disk games as well and even psp umds i wouldnt put it passed them.
This is yet another example of a policy that makes absolutely no sense. for PSP stuff the Gamestops here remove the instructions, and replace the cover with a generic gamestop sleeve. The instructions, liners, etc are then ripped up and tossed.

About a year ago I followed an employee who had garbage duty and he opened up one of their dumpsters revealing bags and bags of torn up merchandise. I asked him about it and he looked scared, like I was a member of the press or something. The dumpster was locked.

Favorite Gamestop quote of 2010:

"Old Stuff? You mean like Gamecube?"

:-s :-s

nikdog

Quote from: blueraven on 12/29/2010, 04:43 PMFavorite Gamestop quote of 2010:

Man, I love their stupidity.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Marll on 12/28/2010, 12:22 PMThe final straw for me was when I went to buy a PS3 game once and the guy tried giving me a used copy at new prices, when there was a sealed one right behind the counter. I called him on it and he tried some lame excuse like "It's policy that we have to take the new games out of the cases, this IS a new game". Told him he better give me the sealed one or I'd go somewhere else.... Long story short, I went somewhere else.
They gut the last copy and put the case out on the wall to display it, and keep the disc behind the counter.  Its opened, but new.  Still pretty retarded. 

The only gamestop I go to, is one where all my friends work at so I know they have a clue about stuff.  some of the people working are pretty clueless/mainstreamgamefag, but theres always a friend there too!

The gamestop I used to work at, they were all pretty fucking stupid and clueless.   I used to tell customers not to buy shit, and would tell them to go to the one local gamestore instead.  The manager at the time when I left, was a totally clueless bro that only played sports games.

The guy before that was some whitetrash toothless ex-crackfiend that didn't know ANYTHING.  I think he just needed child support money.

The gamestops here don't trash used games (yet?).  They only add the lame ass gamestop sleeve if the game gets traded in without a case/stuff.  So you can go in and find used games CIB.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

blueraven

Quote from: nikdog on 12/29/2010, 08:32 PM
Quote from: blueraven on 12/29/2010, 04:43 PMFavorite Gamestop quote of 2010:

Man, I love their stupidity.
:lol: :lol:

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Ceti Alpha

I'm going to head to Gamestop tomorrow and see if they are up to these shenanigans.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nikdog

I kinda wished I had a stupidly rare retro game so I could walk in and ask how much trade in I could get.

Joe Redifer

They wouldn't take your stupidly rare game because it would be on a system that is too old for them.  In other words, they would think it wouldn't sell.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/31/2010, 11:13 AMThey wouldn't take your stupidly rare game because it would be on a system that is too old for them.  In other words, they would think it wouldn't sell.
I took Insanity up there and confused everyone.

GUYS THIS SAYS 2010 ON IT, WTF I CANT FIND IT IN THE COMPUTER BUT ITS A NEW GAME WTF IS IT

that was something I wish I had filmed.

nikdog

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 12/31/2010, 11:13 AMThey wouldn't take your stupidly rare game because it would be on a system that is too old for them.  In other words, they would think it wouldn't sell.
Thats the point. Walk in with a $300 game and have them tell me it is worthless.
Quote from: guest on 12/31/2010, 11:16 AMI took Insanity up there and confused everyone.

GUYS THIS SAYS 2010 ON IT, WTF I CANT FIND IT IN THE COMPUTER BUT ITS A NEW GAME WTF IS IT

that was something I wish I had filmed.
Fuck yes.

Tatsujin

Damn, those guys working there really must have an extreme unopened mind.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

bartre

my latest favorite from gamestop goes something like this:

me: hey, i know you guys stopped taking in ps2 games, are you planning on clearancing them out?
employee: *hands me a flyer* yeah, we're actually having a sale this weekend!
me: awesome! you've even got a couple i want! *looks at flyer* (ALL PS2 GAMES 10% OFF!!!!11!! ZOMG!!!11!!!) that's not really clearance...
employee: *stupidly confused* yes it is?
me: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

blueraven

raven: "Do You have any games for the PSP?"

GS toolbag: "Like the new Avatar game?"

raven: "Like the new ltd. ed. Ys game, Oath in Felghana, its got a map and..."

GS toolbag: "The new... easy game? ...I don't have a listing for Oath of anything."

raven: " :-s ... Do you have the new Madden?"

GS toolbag: "YES do you want it?!??!?!"

raven: "..."  #-o

TR0N

Quote from: blueraven on 01/10/2011, 01:08 AMraven: "Do You have any games for the PSP?"

GS toolbag: "Like the new Avatar game?"

raven: "Like the new ltd. ed. Ys game, Oath in Felghana, its got a map and..."

GS toolbag: "The new... easy game? ...I don't have a listing for Oath of anything."

raven: " :-s ... Do you have the new Madden?"

GS toolbag: "YES do you want it?!??!?!"

raven: "..."  #-o
LOL that would be the typical reponse from a gs employee.

Kind of sad though since there are one of the few places that sell any game from atlus,nisa or xseed.

At least far as retail go's.
IMG

Opethian

Yea I had the same episode when Castlevania Chronicles on PSP came out they didnt have an instore copy. They said "You should have preordered it, we arent getting any extra copies only pre orders". Yet the shelves are lined with sports games new and from years past. Thanks Gamestop!
IMG

MotherGunner

I hate LameStop with a passion...  a PASSION...

These videos describe how I feel.
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Arkhan Asylum

I love asking for Ys.

Its my favorite part of gamestop

do you have Ys?

'WHAT'

Ys for PSP

WE HAVE ALOT OF GAMES RATED E.

no the game, Ys.

IM LOOKING UNDER E, I DONT SEE IT. HOW DO YOU SPELL IT.

Y-S

OH, YOU MEAN "WISE".  A CLASSIC RPG SERIES.

Fuck yourself with a drill, you're an idiot. Give me the game please.

termis

You can't expect these dudes to know anything about retro stuff.

I'd imagine vast majority of those of who know their shit about retro gaming would be in mid 30s and up by now (as most on this forum)... And if you still work at a Gamestop at that age... well, then that's kind of sad, really.

bartre

I dunno, i was 16 when i worked for GS, it sucked.
now i work for a local chain that's kind of like GS, but we do movies and CDs too, i'm 20 now, and I have the job because of my retro gaming knowledge, which is easily bested by a lot of people, but other than the regional manager, I'm the ONLY person who knows much about retro gaming and especially collecting.
the store i work at now is about 100 feet from a GS, and we get ALL of the trade ins for new games, usually people say something like "I took this to gamestop, they offered me $3 for this, what can you guys do?"
usually, we double the money, BUT we don't take games without the cases on CD games, so a lot of the time we also can't even take it, to which I always get "WHY THE FUCK NOT, IT'S A PERFECTLY GOOD GAME, I PLAYED IT THROUGH, AND I'M JUST DONE WITH IT!!!!"
my response is always "did it have the case when you bought it?"
and they say "yeah, i don't buy them when they don't have the case... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH..."

on a side note, some of the people i work with are retarded.
we had the Sailor Moon Movie box set in, which the cheapest one ANY of us could find was $160, and that was gone the next day, sold.
the system said $27, and my manager, who is an anime nerd was like "no, we can charge more for that, how about $90"
about a month later, i walk in, and someone else was working, and had just transferred to the store from another one said "oh, i sold that sailor moon box"
"oh, awesome!"
"yeah, the system only said $27. the dude was so excited when i told him."
"uhh, store policy is that the sticker price is what the customer pays"
"no it's not, i've been working here longer than you."
*we argue a little bit, then i just give up.*
the next day, i come in and the manager is working, first thing she says "Dammit i want to fire (girl who sold the sailor moon set)"
"why?"
"that sailor moon set? she sold it for $27. EVERYONE knows that the sticker price is the price they pay."

[/block of text]

OldRover

I'd love to own a retro game store. I'd make tons of super-cheap purchases from Japan and then resell it all at a premium price. :D And of course, have tons of kiosks set up around the store for all the retro consoles. :D People would be rockin the LoT all day long. :D

I once went into the Gamestop in Hatillo (in Plaza del Norte) and they "mistakenly" had one of those old memory card readers for sale that read Gamecube and PS1 cards. So I took it up to the register to buy it... and they said they couldn't sell it to me because it was "too old". So I said "then what the fuck do you have it on the floor for?" and they were all like "uhhhhhhhhhhhh...... I don't know......". Idiots. I really wanted that thing too.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/11/2011, 01:10 PMI'd love to own a retro game store. I'd make tons of super-cheap purchases from Japan and then resell it all at a premium price. :D And of course, have tons of kiosks set up around the store for all the retro consoles. :D People would be rockin the LoT all day long. :D

I once went into the Gamestop in Hatillo (in Plaza del Norte) and they "mistakenly" had one of those old memory card readers for sale that read Gamecube and PS1 cards. So I took it up to the register to buy it... and they said they couldn't sell it to me because it was "too old". So I said "then what the fuck do you have it on the floor for?" and they were all like "uhhhhhhhhhhhh...... I don't know......". Idiots. I really wanted that thing too.
It wont work.  Trust me, lol.  Tons of those popped up in the cleveo area and most of them fail hard.  The only successful one tried the import thing and everyone was like wtfs all this noodlecart shit we cant read it.

lol

BlueBMW

I miss the golden days of Electronics Boutique.. :(  Alas those days are behind us... :cry:
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

blueraven

Went to Gamestop in the 2 hour window during my appointment at the Apple store at the mall on Sunday. The Apple store was thronged with people and there wasn't a micron of fresh air to be had in the store. The appointments were running over an hour behind, So I left to find Steak Escape and a Gamestop in an effort to recapture my delinquent middle-school days hanging out at Software, Etc.

Holy Fucking Shit.

DOZENS of children were running around the Gamestop store totally insane, like refugees from a church field trip or something equally unsupervised. The employees were all on break, one was at the tobacco shop next door buying a pack of cigarettes * and the manager, I think, was tied up in the back room by the children, who were demanding a lego star wars game.  

I left.

*Everything after the star is false, other than me leaving

BlueBMW

Quote from: blueraven on 01/31/2011, 09:54 PMDOZENS of children were running around the Gamestop store totally insane, like refugees from a church field trip or something equally unsupervised. The employees were all on break, one was at the tobacco shop next door buying a pack of cigarettes * and the manager, I think, was tied up in the back room by the children, who were demanding a lego star wars game. 
I left.
Yeah, I never visit Gamestop anymore.  They eliminated PC games too, which would be one of the only reason's I might still go into a Gamestop.  I remember when Electronics Boutique and Software ETC were PC first, console second.... then everything started to shift.  While PC gaming is far from dead, it just doesn't feel the same as it did so long ago.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Arkhan Asylum

The Gaystop by me has PC games.

They gut them but leave the CD keys in the boxes that are unsealed and on the shelves.

Cameras are built into cellphones these days.

Just sayin.