PC Engine Screen-shot quiz

Started by Tatsujin, 12/24/2006, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldane

Damn it! I MEANT Space Harrier, but wrote After Burner. :roll:
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

_Paul

No and No, but you are getting REALLY close ;)

Joe Redifer

nat

It's Outrun, then. Has to be. Afterburner II doesn't have cool stuff on the horizon like Outrun and Space Harrier do.

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ParanoiaDragon

Cadash, no, Don Doko Don!  My bet is on Out Run or Power Drift.
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

_Paul

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/05/2007, 07:31 PMPower Drift.
It is indeed Power Drift. Well done!

/powerdri001yh5.png

Turbo D

haha, I hate that game. I was let down that it had nothing to do with drifting  :x
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

nat

That game was definitely the worst of the SEGA ports on the Turbo.

I played it once and it was so choppy I never touched it again.

ccovell

I'd say it's a great port!  Have you ever played the original?  With all the sprite scaling and rotating going on, there's no way they could have done it any better on the PCE with sprites or BGs.

Having said that, the original arcade game is a pretty bad game anyway...

nat

Nah, never played the original. Maybe the original sucks too.

But Space Harrier, Outrun, and Afterburner II are way smoother and they're not exactly the epitome of spirte scaling.

Tatsujin

Quote from: ccovell on 07/06/2007, 10:16 PMI'd say it's a great port!  Have you ever played the original?  With all the sprite scaling and rotating going on, there's no way they could have done it any better on the PCE with sprites or BGs.

Having said that, the original arcade game is a pretty bad game anyway...
great words and such true!

except of the last sentence. i loved that game in the arcades as well on the SS ages!! impressive scaling stuff there! and a great BGM!! :D
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Tatsujin

Quote from: nat on 07/06/2007, 10:27 PMNah, never played the original. Maybe the original sucks too.

But Space Harrier, Outrun, and Afterburner II are way smoother and they're not exactly the epitome of spirte scaling.
you can't compare those "flatters" with the up'n'downhill engine of power drift. that one is quite impressive. and the original in the arcades was the first ever made like that. but i understand, that PD on the PCE may not bring that much fun to you, if you just put it in and play for a small shot. the gameplay indeed was kind of awful. but still a good game.

nat

I'll probably give it another chance some day.

But the first impressions I got "back in the day" will ensure that second chance will probably not come for quite a while.

Joe Redifer

Were Power Drift and Rad MObile the only two "log scalers" made?  The scaling logs in the Saturn version of Rad Mobile (Gale Racer) are pretty cool.  That game gets a bad rap.  It's actually not too bad, but I guess people just wanted polygons.

Turbo D

I played power drift on mame a while ago and it was gay too.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

_Paul

The Engine version is both good and bad. It seems really jerky and awful first, but if you get into the 'zone' it's quite an intense gaming experience and can be quite fun.

Tatsujin

Quote from: turbo D on 07/07/2007, 04:00 AMI played power drift on mame a while ago and it was gay too.
i think, you're gay :mrgreen:

check those great vids:
it's made in '88! damn if this isn't amazing, then what?

and in real it just looks in minimum 5 times better than those ugly yu0tube vids!!

nat

Quote from: Tatsujin on 07/07/2007, 05:13 AM
Quote from: turbo D on 07/07/2007, 04:00 AMI played power drift on mame a while ago and it was gay too.
i think, you're gay :mrgreen:

check those great vids:
it's made in '88! damn if this isn't amazing, then what?

and in real it just looks in minimum 5 times better than those ugly yu0tube vids!!
Yeah, but the Turbo/PCE port doesn't resemble those videos in any way, shape or form.

Tatsujin

Quote from: nat on 07/07/2007, 05:17 AMYeah, but the Turbo/PCE port doesn't resemble those videos in any way, shape or form.
what i mentioned above. the engine and power drift hardware can't be compared in any aspects. but what asmik did, is to bring your homes best port of that game at that time and platform wide. as i said, it isn't tha overburner, but still a good and special racer for that time.

ccovell

There were several more "log scaler" SEGA arcade games, most notably Galaxy Force II, Rail Chase, and others.  These systems went quite a bit beyond the flat curving road designs of Out Run and Hang-On (said curving road the PCE could easily handle) by composing the road/ground/walls from scaling/rotated sprites.  The system used THREE 68000 CPUs in parallel, which is pretty crazy.  Here's some info.  http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=699

Considering how the track is made of BG tiles, I'd say the PCE conversion is pretty good.  Compare that to SMS Space Harrier, which is done in the same way.

Tatsujin: I don't really like playing Power Drift all that much, since you feel like you're completely on rails: when you crash, you don't even stop like in Out Run.  Your car tumbles while still moving along the figure-8 track or whatever.  It's a bit of a mess.  Of all the log scaler games, I like Galaxy Force II most of all.  It's really amazing for 1988, and it's really fun to play too.

Tatsujin

yeah, it's kind of a messy game :mrgreen:

as for galaxy force. there was always the problem, that the ship covered a lot of the screen. i'm not sure of it, if the saturn version runs on a lower fps than the arcade?

for me, rad mobile was the ultimate log-scaler. beated it with 1 credit :mrgreen: nice cab too!!^^

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/07/2007, 03:04 AMWere Power Drift and Rad MObile the only two "log scalers" made?  The scaling logs in the Saturn version of Rad Mobile (Gale Racer) are pretty cool.  That game gets a bad rap.  It's actually not too bad, but I guess people just wanted polygons.
I'm not a fan of racers, but one year when the canival came to town it had Power Drift in the arcade and my friend and I loved it.

We played it every day until the canival left. I always wanted a home port and suspected that there might be one on lost in japan on Megadrive.

I never could nail down the appeal, other than it wasn't 'realistic'. I think that I would've really liked the PCE port if I'd had a chance to play it back in the day.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

btw. to come back on topic, here's another cut out to guess:

/pceq3nq8.jpg

Keranu

Samurai Ghost/Genpei Toumadenwhatever 2? Zipang? Military Madness / Nectaris?  :mrgreen:
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

Some Japanese game with lots of Kanji!

Tatsujin

Quote from: Keranu on 07/08/2007, 01:50 AMSamurai Ghost/Genpei Toumadenwhatever 2? Zipang? Military Madness / Nectaris?  :mrgreen:
any other guesses :mrgreen:

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/08/2007, 01:54 AMSome Japanese game with lots of Kanji!
quite wrong, sorry

Joe Redifer

Some Japanese game that didn't come out in the US and has an unpronounceable name with no English equivalent (that should cover about 3/5 of the PC Engine library).

nat

Nice one, Tatsujin.

That is part of the boss from Stage 1 of Aldynes on the SuperGrafx.

Does that mean it's my turn now?

EDIT:
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/08/2007, 02:02 AMSome Japanese game that didn't come out in the US and has an unpronounceable name with no English equivalent (that should cover about 3/5 of the PC Engine library).
Completely wrong! Not only is the game (and it's title) entirely in English, there is no Kanji to be found, and the game even features a small amount of digitized (English) speech.

Aldynes is a badass shooter, a personal favorite of mine. It gets pretty tough, R-Type style, around stage 4.

shubibiman

Too little, too late. Yes, it is Aldynes indeed, my all time favourite.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Joe Redifer

I think we're showing too much of a game.  I think we should limit the pictures to only 4 pixels (2 wide, 2 tall).  People are guessing much too quickly.

Tatsujin

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 07/08/2007, 06:20 AMI think we're showing too much of a game.  I think we should limit the pictures to only 4 pixels (2 wide, 2 tall).  People are guessing much too quickly.
right there. we're all professionals and able to guess a game in the deepest darkest tunnel on a new moons midnight with welding googles on.

_Paul

nat

Oops, it's my turn. I'll post one as soon as I get home from work.

nat

OK, try this one. The emulator I was using emulates a scanline effect so that's what the horizontal stripes are. I was too lazy to turn it off for this but it shouldn't affect whether or not anyone can guess this.

IMG

Tatsujin

hmm..is it kind of energy indicator?

Joe Redifer

Keranu

Veigues Tactical Gladiator?
IMG

ccovell

Klax?  C'mon throw us a bone here...

nat

Joe is the winner (I should have known)! It is a section of the life meter from Altered Beast.

guyjin

_Paul

Darn! Posted and guessed before I could even check the forums  :-s

Keranu

Quote from: nat on 07/13/2007, 10:21 AMJoe is the winner (I should have known)! It is a section of the life meter from Altered Beast.
Arr, I was trying to figure out which game that life meter belonged to!
IMG

Turbo D

I thought that it was a power up from some shooter, haha
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Somebody go ahead and post a new screen, as I am FTP-challenged at the moment while I take time to set up my new computer.

I'll put in my guess for the picture that has yet to be posted:  It's Fray Xak Gaiden

ccovell

Can I post one, since I had my turn viciously taken away from me last time.