10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Limited Run Games

Started by Medic_wheat, 06/03/2016, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: glazball on 08/14/2017, 05:08 PMI don't need a company to care about me.  It's getting harder and harder to defend LRG, but asking a company to care about you is going a bit too far!
I don't think NecroPhile means you personally, but rather you as a consumer. "LRG doesn't care about consumers." Corporations should.

glazball

So if I go around telling other members to go fuck themselves, that's a-ok with you?

NecroPhile, the idea that LRG doesn't care about you, me or any customer is your opinion.  I know you think you are right about everything, but don't confuse your opinion with facts.  I stated my opinion and you reacted like an asshole.

Honestly, your pathetic remark is the first time I've ever met any hostility here.  If my alleged hypocrisy and foolishness is unwanted here, go ahead and ban me.  Please.  I don't have time in my life for your childishness.  Go on, I won't be missed here.

And back to the point at hand: if you think LRG, or Play-Asia, or Aetherbutt, or Microsoft or Amazon or ANY other company gives a shit about you, then you are the fool Necro.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

NecroPhile

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 01:47 PMSo if I go around telling other members to go fuck themselves, that's a-ok with you?
Pretty much, yeah.  I was telling people to get fucked long before being made a mod.

The only way it'd be frowned upon is if it was being said all the time, in response to nothing in particular, and not part of an actual discussion with other comments.  At that point, it'd just be trolling.

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 01:47 PMNecro, the idea that LRG doesn't care about you, me or any customer is your opinion.  I know you think you are right about everything, but don't confuse your opinion with facts.
Obviously it's just an opinion, albeit one based on their actions.  Do you have a point?

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 01:47 PMI stated my opinion and you reacted like an asshole.
Yeah, LRG apologists bring out the best in me.  :lol:

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 01:47 PMHonestly, your pathetic remark is the first time I've ever met any hostility here.  If my alleged hypocrisy and foolishness is unwanted here, go ahead and ban me.  Please.  I don't have time in my life for your childishness.  Go on, I won't be missed here.
Again, there's zero threat of you being banned.  I don't know where you're getting that shit.

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 01:47 PMAnd back to the point at hand: if you think LRG, or Play-Asia, or Aetherbyte, or Microsoft or Amazon or ANY other company gives a shit about you, then you are the fool Necro.
Lots of companies work hard to earn customer loyalty: MS extended 360 warranties out the wazoo (way more than Sony's done for their shoddy hardware), dropped DRM plans on the One, and killed Kinect to drop prices; Amazon gives easy returns, special customer sales, continually invests in better/faster distribution channels, and makes custom products that make it easier to buy from them; Arky keeps us in the loop and gives us dibs on new products; et cetera, et cetera.  They're not 100% altruistic, of course, but there's no question that most companies want to keep current customers while earning new.

LRG, on the other hand, doesn't seem to give a shit.  They're content with their current print run sizes, knowing full well that there's enough flippers and shelf queens to buy up everything even if everyone else stops being customers.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

I've been beating the drum for some time and it's probably a dead horse at this point but I've gotta agree with NecroPhile. Since the start, LRG have been dicks.

Tw3ek

Is this the boarding line for the "Fuck LRG" train? If so, I want on!

glazball

Quote from: Psycho NecroPhile on 08/15/2017, 04:09 PM
Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 01:47 PMSo if I go around telling other members to go fuck themselves, that's a-ok with you?
Pretty much, yeah.  I was telling people to get fucked long before being made a mod.
I'm not ok with that.

All of the words you typed below the "go fuck yourself" to explain your point could have come out first.  That's how adults discuss things.  Instead you start with "go fuck yourself" knowing you'll have no repercussions, you can talk down to others here all you want.  I get it.  I've been a member in good or at least neutral standing for 5 years, but I won't be talked to like that here or in rl.  This is one of the few places on the internet that felt like home, but that's all gone completely in one fucking day.  I won't be sticking around here much longer.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

HailingTheThings

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 08:13 PM
Quote from: Psycho NecroPhile on 08/15/2017, 04:09 PM
I'm not ok with that.

All of the words you typed below the "go fuck yourself" to explain your point could have come out first.  That's how adults discuss things.  Instead you start with "go fuck yourself" knowing you'll have no repercussions, you can talk down to others here all you want.  I get it.  I've been a member in good or at least neutral standing for 5 years, but I won't be talked to like that here or in rl.  This is one of the few places on the internet that felt like home, but that's all gone completely in one fucking day.  I won't be sticking around here much longer.
Dude, chill out. Its NecroPhile. he does things. It was a prank, bro. Jesus loves you.
IMG

TR0N

What HCG thinks but i still think LRG business practices stink  :P
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Gypsy

LOL. They wouldn't go out of business due to one failure. Absolute bollocks. Even assuming just $10 profit per game and 80% of the listed stock as sellable due to returns, lost packages, holding back copies etc... They've made quite a bit of money. We should be loooong past the point of needing every game to sell out.

Also we are back to unidentifiable (to most people) indies this week, so it will be interesting to see if they sit.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/15/2017, 04:09 PM
I'm not ok with that.

"Go fuck yourself" is literally his catchphrase.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

I can't argue with that.  :lol:

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 08:13 PMI'm not ok with that.
Then don't read my posts.  You don't have to like every single person on the internet.

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 08:13 PMAll of the words you typed below the "go fuck yourself" to explain your point could have come out first.  That's how adults discuss things.
By the same token, you could've explained yourself better than dropping in with a "shut up, you're not allowed to expect better from LRG!"... then bitched about yet another way that LRG wronged their customers.

You reap what you sow, tex.

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 08:13 PMInstead you start with "go fuck yourself" knowing you'll have no repercussions, you can talk down to others here all you want.  I get it.
Again with the mod abuse paranoia.  Amazing.

Quote from: glazball on 08/15/2017, 08:13 PMI've been a member in good or at least neutral standing for 5 years, but I won't be talked to like that here or in rl.  This is one of the few places on the internet that felt like home, but that's all gone completely in one fucking day.  I won't be sticking around here much longer.
No need to be hasty now.  Adults can disagree, have a few tense moments (if that's what this is), get over it, and go back to being civil.

Johnpv

Bob from RetroRGB in his retro roundup included a bit about the frustration with buying from Limited run games.
worth a quick watch.

Tw3ek

Quote from: NecroPhile on 08/15/2017, 04:09 PM
I'm not ok with that.

You do realize anyone can say "go fuck yourself" to anyone else here right? It's not a heavily censored place.

With that said, go fuck yourself. 

TelcoSurveyor

Would you like some making fuck, berserker!!
I'm the Wind, Baby!

Medic_wheat

xcrement5x

Quote from: TR0N on 08/16/2017, 02:18 AMWhat HCG thinks but i still think LRG business practices stink  :P
This dude, I've never really had issues with him but at this point:
https://youtu.be/gFF_K5gDYEc?t=284

~"If they made like 5000 copies of Ys Origin they'd be stuck with a lot of copies"

That seems like the most uninformed thing I have ever heard.  Ys is no Final Fantasy, but the recognition of the series is much larger than I think he believes. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Johnpv

Quote from: guest on 08/16/2017, 03:28 PM
Quote from: TR0N on 08/16/2017, 02:18 AMWhat HCG thinks but i still think LRG business practices stink  :P
~"If they made like 5000 copies of Ys Origin they'd be stuck with a lot of copies"

That seems like the most uninformed thing I have ever heard.  Ys is no Final Fantasy, but the recognition of the series is much larger than I think he believes.
Specially in the last few years, its been slowly gaining popularity in the west.

jtucci31

Quote from: Tw3ek on 08/15/2017, 06:16 PMIs this the boarding line for the "Fuck LRG" train? If so, I want on!
Definitely with ya tweek!

Also, I can just play Night Trap digitally for like half the damn price and without the anxiety and guilt of supporting LRG. So I think I'll just do that and then seek out the actual SegaCD version. No qualms here.

NecroPhile

Quote from: guest on 08/16/2017, 03:28 PM~"If they made like 5000 copies of Ys Origin they'd be stuck with a lot of copies"

Yeah, that's just silly.

I also didn't agree with him giving 'em kudos for limiting scalpers.  They try to stop some multiple purchases, but at the same time they allow the purchase of 2 or more copies of many games and they know their store front system is broken and easily gamed.

Gypsy

Quote from: Johnpv on 08/16/2017, 04:04 PM

Specially in the last few years, its been slowly gaining popularity in the west.
Great series, can't wait for VIII. :)

I'm torn if I want to try LRG for Ys Origins. I'd be my first purchase from them in a long time, if I could even get the order in. Otoh there is the Play-asia release.

TheClash603

HCG said they will be on terrible shape if stock sits.  When pressing a game, doesn't the price per unit decrease as the order increases?  Or is that only for DIY crusty punks putting out albums on CD and not applicable for games where royalties are considered?

Also, even if there was no preorder, would a poll for interest help to determine the number of games to order?  Sure not all people will order if they say they will on a poll, but it should be a good indicator if the game is a 12,000 or 3,000 run type of release.

jtucci31

Wait I'm confused. Wasn't Ys VIiI already coming out in NA? Thought some pre orders went up on Amazon not too long ago.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 08/16/2017, 08:14 PMWait I'm confused. Wasn't Ys VIiI already coming out in NA? Thought some pre orders went up on Amazon not too long ago.
Sorry my post was dumb and confusing, I'll go edit it now. NISA has VIII, wide release. LRG has Origins.

bartre

It is currently 11:54PM Sunday night here in robot hell.
N++ still hasn't sold out, and has had the limits off for at least a day.

this is good to see.

TR0N

That's for sure the series has more attention then it use to.I don't know if i'll bother with,LRG release of Ys Origin i may just go with play-asia instead.
IMG

NecroPhile

They said for Ys Origin that they're going to do something different where 'everyone that wants a copy will get a copy'.  I've not heard specifics yet, but that sounds like a pre-order.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2017, 09:53 AMThey said for Ys Origin that they're going to do something different where 'everyone that wants a copy will get a copy'.  I've not heard specifics yet, but that sounds like a pre-order.
They sure fucking should. But...I'll believe it when I see it.

bartre

Quote from: guest on 08/21/2017, 09:53 AMThey said for Ys Origin that they're going to do something different where 'everyone that wants a copy will get a copy'.  I've not heard specifics yet, but that sounds like a pre-order.
God I hope so.
i'd really like the game from them, but like hell I'll pay a scalper.
I'd be slightly less happy with a PA copy.

NecroPhile

QuoteWe've heard your feedback after Wonder Boy and Night Trap and for the first time since our Skullgirls run in 2015 - Ys Origin will be sold as a preorder and be manufactured to demand. The Collector's Edition will be limited to just 3,000 copies per platform, but the standard edition will be open to order for a full 24-hour window. After 24 hours pass, orders will close.
Sounds great to me; I hope it's a rousing success so that they decide to do it for more games in the future.

P.S. - The other game (Asdivine Hearts) is a normal release with 3800 copies per system.

Medic_wheat

Well sounds like a vita pick up for me.

Anyone know if the vita psn download works for the PS Tv?

TR0N

I got the e-mail from they will be taking preorders this time for Ys Origin PS4&Vita version.This i might go with it,don't know yet but orders for it are this friday.
IMG

schweaty

If anyone can answer medics question about ps tv compatibility for Ys, I'd like to know as well.

NecroPhile

Unless it's been patched since launch, it's not PSTV compatible.  :cry:

Johnpv

Quote from: schweaty on 08/22/2017, 08:59 AMIf anyone can answer medics question about ps tv compatibility for Ys, I'd like to know as well.
I just tried it again this weekend and Ys Origin does not work on a stock PS TV.  If yours is hacked you can force the whitelist to have it and it'll work cause there's like no touch screen stuff, but stock it won't work.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Johnpv on 08/22/2017, 04:38 PM
Quote from: schweaty on 08/22/2017, 08:59 AMIf anyone can answer medics question about ps tv compatibility for Ys, I'd like to know as well.
I just tried it again this weekend and Ys Origin does not work on a stock PS TV.  If yours is hacked you can force the whitelist to have it and it'll work cause there's like no touch screen stuff, but stock it won't work.
Thank you for checking.

Since it now pre-order teritory maybe LRG can be petitioned to request a patch for ps tv play.

bartre

Really glad I didn't grab Lawbreakers :P

Gypsy

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/22/2017, 05:35 PM
Quote from: Johnpv on 08/22/2017, 04:38 PM
Thank you for checking.

Since it now pre-order teritory maybe LRG can be petitioned to request a patch for ps tv play.
I doubt it. Just hack your PSTV, you'll thank yourself later anyway.

Oh and shiver me timbers they are doing a pre-order. Like others have stated I hope it goes well so they do this for other bigger titles.

Mathius

I'd really love to get an Ys Origins now that they are doing pre-orders but I has no monies sadly. Times are tight in the Mathius household.

Medic_wheat

Yes I really need to hack my spare ps tv ...

bartre

IMG

saw this on Ys Origin.

Mathius

Quote from: bartre on 08/23/2017, 12:14 AMIMG

saw this on Ys Origin.
Incoming Collectard feeding frenzy! Find shelter!

TheClash603

Have they said how long they will keep the preorders opened?  It would be nice if they left them up for a week, long enough for people to get their game, but short enough to not delay the production and delivery process too badly.

Gypsy

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/23/2017, 08:00 AMHave they said how long they will keep the preorders opened?  It would be nice if they left them up for a week, long enough for people to get their game, but short enough to not delay the production and delivery process too badly.
24 hours because lol.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/23/2017, 08:29 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/23/2017, 08:00 AMHave they said how long they will keep the preorders opened?  It would be nice if they left them up for a week, long enough for people to get their game, but short enough to not delay the production and delivery process too badly.
24 hours because lol.
And yet I have seen people in fb LRG fan page complain it should be an hour because then to many people can order making this limited run game feel less limited.

Or more likely less scalable

xcrement5x

Quote from: Mathius on 08/23/2017, 01:23 AM

saw this on Ys Origin.
I think I can hear NintendoAge salivating from here. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

MisterCrash

I have not bought any LRG games before, and I echo a lot of the sentiments in this thread. I would much prefer a system where the demand is measured before the supply is created. For games that have already been released digitally, I would think that this would be fairly easy to do. If you want to keep things "limited" to satisfy the collectors, then make a limited version with bonus goodies or a special cover or some such thing. Limiting supply artificially (like LRG and Nintendo's hardware strategy) is maddening to me. Being able to sell these things in package deals that nobody wants is a good indicator that the price is too low given the demand. Then again, if they own the rights, they can sell it however they want.

I've already ordered Ys Origin and The Dragon's Trap from Play Asia, because I didn't want to deal with this nonsense. It seems that Asia has a better handle on how to manage this.

Medic_wheat

Quote from: guest on 08/23/2017, 02:39 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 08/23/2017, 01:23 AM

saw this on Ys Origin.
I think I can hear NintendoAge salivating from here. 
Oooook. Well  one would think okay mom and pop shops can stock up a little for sale at their stores. Cool cool. However in a world where someone pre ordered 61 SNES Classics to scalp I just don't think it's the smaller retro stores or even franchise store which will really take advantage of the Y's release.

Johnpv

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/23/2017, 08:40 PMOooook. Well  one would think okay mom and pop shops can stock up a little for sale at their stores. Cool cool. However in a world where someone pre ordered 61 SNES Classics to scalp I just don't think it's the smaller retro stores or even franchise store which will really take advantage of the Ys release.
How the FUCK did some one manage to pre-order 61 of them????!!!!!!

I keep seeing people mention scalpers using bots or some shit is that for real?

Medic_wheat

Quote from: Johnpv on 08/23/2017, 08:53 PM
Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/23/2017, 08:40 PMOooook. Well  one would think okay mom and pop shops can stock up a little for sale at their stores. Cool cool. However in a world where someone pre ordered 61 SNES Classics to scalp I just don't think it's the smaller retro stores or even franchise store which will really take advantage of the Ys release.
How the FUCK did some one manage to pre-order 61 of them????!!!!!!

I keep seeing people mention scalpers using bots or some shit is that for real? 
I kept hearing the same about bots and what not. Since I know nothing about that sort of thing I don't know.

I did hear that's why the original Amazon page for the SNES classic was not used and a new one made when it launched. Which of course threw me off and I was left unaware until after it was sold out.

majors

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 08/23/2017, 08:40 PMWell  one would think okay mom and pop shops can stock up a little for sale at their stores.
Funny you mention that...LGR is NOW selling unlimited pre-orders to brink'n mortar. There is absolutely no discount and by agreeing to sell their games, you cannot mark it up beyond $10(granted, for new...nothing is to say you can't sell them then have them traded in as used...but that might just be a loop hole).

How do I know? well Lost Ark in NC is one of the first stores to be a reseller. I'm told, LGR is limiting it to 1-2 stores per state.
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)