OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Bicycle Recommendations

Started by NecroPhile, 08/10/2010, 05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NecroPhile

Thanks to some thieving cocksucker, I find myself in the market for a new ride and could use some suggestions from those that know their Shimano from a hole in the ground.

Though I was quite happy with my $120 department store cheapy of yore, I hear bad things about today's Wal-mart specials (i.e. - perpetually maladjusted brakes, disintegrating bearings, etc.), so I'd rather pay a bit extra for something that'll last for years.  What options do I have, short of blowing a couple grand on a Gary Fisher or similar bike?  The cheaper the better, as less money spent on a bike equals more money spent on OBEY.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

TheClash603

I don't know one bike from the next, but I just recently bought this one, and have not had any complaints:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3965187&cp=2367438.2367824.2712461

You should be able to find a Dicks coupon for $20 off or more, so it won't be too much more than Walmart, but possibly better.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 08/10/2010, 05:08 PMThanks to some thieving cocksucker, I find myself in the market for a new ride and could use some suggestions from those that know their Shimano from a hole in the ground.

Though I was quite happy with my $120 department store cheapy of yore, I hear bad things about today's Wal-mart specials (i.e. - perpetually maladjusted brakes, disintegrating bearings, etc.), so I'd rather pay a bit extra for something that'll last for years.  What options do I have, short of blowing a couple grand on a Gary Fisher or similar bike?  The cheaper the better, as less money spent on a bike equals more money spent on OBEY.
That really sucks, and I know the pain. Let me know what you find because a bicycle is a great way of getting around. I really miss it.

I was always fond of Norco. They make bikes in all sorts of price ranges.

http://www.norco.com/bikes/mountain/ (you'll probably have to switch from canuck to yank on the site :P)
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

blueraven

This past spring my Huffy beach cruiser finally fell apart so I gave the frame away and got a cheap Peugeot 10-speed that is durable as hell for $100. It was used off Craigslist. Then I put about the rest of my budget into tuning it up. The French make some pretty kickass road bikes. It's a tank.

One of my friends who does a lot of mountain-biking tirelessly recommends Cannondale. He likes the way the transmissions hold up under stress and claims that it's the best value for his dollar. He's also all "GO LANCE" and wears that body-speedo thing and does marathons.

$300 will get you into a nice fixed gear, and about $5-600 will get you a killer multi-speed at any bike shop.

My neighbor bought one of these, he bikes 5 miles to work every day (but its flat):

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/road/2010-road/one-way/

And, IMHO a Brooks Saddle (standard on the Raliegh) is the most comfortable bike seat you can buy.

http://brooksengland.com

SignOfZeta

I suggest buying something used that was stupid expensive when new. I don't know where you live, but if its a big bike town this is the way to go. In downtown Ann Arbor there is a shop that will sell you a $250 Trek or Specialized that cost $1000 five years ago. I'd much rather have something good that is scratched up than some shiny new piece of shit from Target.
IMG

ZachSpears

i've got a bike
you can ride it if you like
it's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good.
i'd give it to you if i could
but i borrowed it.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Rockabilly Paradise on 08/15/2010, 06:16 AMi've got a bike
you can ride it if you like
it's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good.
i'd give it to you if i could
but i borrowed it.
It was a forgone conclusion someone was going to quote Pink Floyd (Syd Barrett). I honestly thought tats was going to be the one. hehe
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

termis

Quote from: TheClash603 on 08/10/2010, 10:09 PMI don't know one bike from the next, but I just recently bought this one, and have not had any complaints:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3965187&cp=2367438.2367824.2712461

You should be able to find a Dicks coupon for $20 off or more, so it won't be too much more than Walmart, but possibly better.
I wept a little seeing that link.  Diamondbacks selling $199 mountain bikes... I remember the cheapest diamonbacks BMX/Freestyle bikes were something like $250-$300... back in 1985. Same thing when I saw Mongoose BMX bikes at a K-Mart here.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, prices on bikes have dropped like a rock. Target has Schwinn bikes with 21 speeds, full suspension, etc for $200. There is no way on Earth that can be anything but utter junk.

Then there is the high end, which just keeps getting more expensive.

In a way, its kind of like the watch market. You can't get a decent watch for $40 anymore. You can get a crap one for $20, or a fucking awesome as hell one for $500+, but because people don't actually wear watches anymore the mainstream market for decent stuff has gone. The same is true of bikes. Kids aren't allowed to ride them anymore since their parents are afraid they will be kidnapped, and the parents don't ride them because they are a couple of fat fucks sitting inside all day watching CSI reruns.
IMG

OldRover

Avoid Cannondale... they're not all that good for the huge price tag.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

rag-time4

Personally I would go with a penny farthing...
IMG

guyjin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/15/2010, 09:37 PMIn a way, its kind of like the watch market. You can't get a decent watch for $40 anymore. You can get a crap one for $20, or a fucking awesome as hell one for $500+, but because people don't actually wear watches anymore the mainstream market for decent stuff has gone. The same is true of bikes. Kids aren't allowed to ride them anymore since their parents are afraid they will be kidnapped, and the parents don't ride them because they are a couple of fat fucks sitting inside all day watching CSI reruns.
quoted for truthiness.