@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

streaming services

Started by bob, 02/06/2018, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob

i have netflix and amazon and i love them both.
What is on hulu that i NEED to watch?  Justifying a subscription.

SignOfZeta

Well, when one of the shows you're watching leaves one of the services as you are watching it for one you don't subscribe to you may want more services.

I have Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu and I still watch more discs, pirated shit, and YouTube.
IMG

CrackTiger

I only use Netflix and CraveTV.

I torrent the rest or watch dvd and blurays that are worth owning.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

MNKyDeth

Netflix and Amazon only here.

Other stuff I want to watch we buy the discs.

MNKyDeth

I'll look into it. Never heard of future man.

Bloufo

Can't access Hulu or Amazon over here without using a paid DNS service to bypass the geo restrictions.
Used to have a Netflix sub, but outside the US the content is quite lacking.
If you block us from accessing your particular service or neuter it as compared to other regions, then, in this day and age, there are other options.

So, currently using the Terrarium TV apk. That's one of the better ones out there.
All the movies and shows one could want.

ClodBusted

I wish VRV.co would stop being US-only, so I could actually support channels like Cartoon Hangover and continue watching Bravest Warriors and Bee & Puppycat.

Until then, I occasionally watch Crunchyoll with ads, mainly for Kobayashi-san's Dragon Maid and batshit insane 5-minute-shorts like Wooser's Hand-to-Mouth-Life, Donyatsu and Miss Monochrome. With the latter ones mentioned, the sum of ads played in advance is sometimes longer than the acutal content.

Other than that, it's blu-ray and DVD for me.

ClodBusted

The idea of proxies sounds nice in theory.
Once you try to use them for video streaming, you'll soon know why they aren't doing it. They are usually slow as molasses and may result in additional trouble once you try logging into some sites. Good luck.

jordan_hillman

Quote from: bob on 02/06/2018, 10:23 PMi have netflix and amazon and i love them both.
What is on hulu that i NEED to watch?  Justifying a subscription.

For Hulu, Saved by the Bell: The College Years
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 02/07/2018, 10:55 AMThe idea of proxies sounds nice in theory.
Once you try to use them for video streaming, you'll soon know why they aren't doing it. They are usually slow as molasses and may result in additional trouble once you try logging into some sites. Good luck.
This is very very true.

xcrement5x

We have Netflix which is what we mainly use.  Amazon which is more of a bonus since we mainly got it for the shipping, and CrunchyRoll, since my wife and I are weebs who watch a lot of anime. 

Have debated HULU many a time, but can't pull the trigger.  The concept of paying for content but still having to watch ads as well rubs me the wrong way.

We had HBO Now during Game of Thrones, but cancelled it until WestWorld comes out again.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

bob

Quote from: guest on 02/07/2018, 12:51 PMWe have Netflix which is what we mainly use.  Amazon which is more of a bonus since we mainly got it for the shipping, and CrunchyRoll, since my wife and I are weebs who watch a lot of anime. 

Have debated HULU many a time, but can't pull the trigger.  The concept of paying for content but still having to watch ads as well rubs me the wrong way.

We had HBO Now during Game of Thrones, but cancelled it until WestWorld comes out again.
hulu has commercials???  lol
you just made my decision.

Bloufo

Quote from: bob on 02/07/2018, 01:22 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/07/2018, 12:51 PMWe have Netflix which is what we mainly use.  Amazon which is more of a bonus since we mainly got it for the shipping, and CrunchyRoll, since my wife and I are weebs who watch a lot of anime. 

hulu has commercials???  lol
you just made my decision. 
I think one can opt to take a sub that eliminates all ads. Pretty sure you do have that option. Not sure how much extra for that, though.

NecroPhile

$7.99 with "limited" ads or $11.99 for no ads.

There's some cell carriers that give you free access to netflix, hulu, etc.  It might be worth switching if you want the streaming too, though none of it interests me all that much.  Being the cheap ass that I am, I don't pay for separate internet service (just the phone); streaming would be nice, but the cost of the service plus the cost of home internet would pay for an awful lot of DVDs in a year's time.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

You pay to get rid of the commercials. There are no ads on my Hulu. There may be some mid-grade service but I don't know what the point of that would be. You have to be a complete tool to watch ads in 2018.

I've had Netflix for about 12 years I think. I'm less happy with it every year. They blew all their cash starting a network war and now they have 100 shows of their own I don't care about (78 of which are about standup or are standup) and almost nothing else. Their selection of classics, foreign language, silent, anime, etc, the majority of what I want, is terrible, and by "terrible" I mean I can only find four black and white movies at any time, that kind of thing. All the great DVDs they had from that boom era have all been scratched so even with a disc plan you are pretty much limited to newer releases.

Which is why I still buy most of the stuff I actually want to see on disc. As paid shill Nulity has pointed out you generally can't buy a lot of steaming shows. You need Netflix to get that 4K fireplace video, that thing is really good. I also enjoyed Lady Dynamite a lot.
IMG

NecroPhile

Unless it's niche and/or not very popular, most end up on disc eventually.  You just have to wait a year or so, same as cable and broadcast shows.

xcrement5x

Quote from: NecroPhile on 02/07/2018, 03:11 PM$7.99 with "limited" ads or $11.99 for no ads.
I stand corrected. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

TheClash603

Hulu was better when they had the Criterion movies.  Now I will watch Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu occasionally, but when Criterion was on Hulu it was amazing.

Bloufo

xcrement5x

SignOfZeta

Netflix also had an incredibly shitty year. The original programming arms race is expensive as hell.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/22/netflix-earnings-q4-2017.html

I read this article and the figures being thrown around blow my mind...and yet the tone of the article is somehow overall positive. It seems like incredibly high stakes shit to me.
IMG

TheClash603

The ideal is that these are sticky businesses and once you get subscribers you don't lose them.  If you need to make a few high stakes moves to up that recurring revenue, it will be worth it in the long run.  Plus a $3 price hike down the road won't cause many to drop the service, but it sure will add a ton of revenue.

Also, shows like Stranger Things and movies like Cloverfield may be expensive to purchase, but then you own them (in most cases) forever, so the value proposition continues to rise.  Eventually they won't need to spend as much and will still have a shit load of programming due to the back catalog.

SignOfZeta

Oh, I get the idea. I can also see a few ways it could blow up in their face.
IMG

TheClash603

It's not a streaming service, but it is a movie service, so I'll talk about it.  MoviePass is the one I can't figure out.  I see a movie or more each week now, so I pay approximately $2 per movie.  MoviePass is eating the difference with the theater, doesn't make any sense.

I get they are getting some advertising revenue and they are selling my info to movie studios and whoever will pay for it, but is that really making up for the money they are paying theaters?  Rumor is they will start asking for $3 per movie discounts from theaters due to the extra traffic they are providing, but even there that would mean they need to make up about $26 per month from weekly movie goers.

Unless there are a lot of people with MoviePass that are seeing 0 or 1 movie per month, I'd like to see the stats on attendance.

NecroPhile

I've been using a borrowed Netflix account on my phone lately.  It works better than I was expecting, with decent quality, no excessive buffering, and reasonable data use (~250mb per hour); the only thing I don't like is that it'll go back to the default home page after a while, making me hunt down the show I was catching up on again.

SignOfZeta

Netflix quality is crazy good on the right device. It runs better on major platforms like iOS or Windows than it does on cut rate smart TVs or the DSi. They must port the shit to like 70 platforms at this point. On my new Bravia it will play 4K at about 30mbs which is...a joke, frankly, barely even normal BR bandwidth used for double the res, but more than I thought possible over the same cable that's been in my house for decades.
IMG

esteban

I don't really watch TV, but my wife/kids use:

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon
HBO

And that's still cheaper than my old cable bill (FiOS).

I like to watch some stuff with my daughter: Voltron, Full Metal Alchemist, etc. (you get the idea), John Oliver, etc.

I occasionally will plop in the couch and watch a few minutes of ______  every day that someone else is watching, but I don't watch too much TV/films much these days.

I would love to watch more... just too busy.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GohanX

Voltron, fuck yeah! I've been watching that with daughter. And sometimes without my daughter.

... And I bought some lions. Don't judge me.

Gypsy

Quote from: GohanX on 04/18/2018, 04:37 PM... And I bought some lions. Don't judge me.
I would but I bought some Lupin toys not that long ago lol.

esteban

Quote from: Gypsy on 04/18/2018, 05:14 PM
Quote from: GohanX on 04/18/2018, 04:37 PM... And I bought some lions. Don't judge me.
I would but I bought some Lupin toys not that long ago lol.
LUPIN TOOTHBRUSH is *not* intended to be used as a toy.

Quote from: GohanX on 04/18/2018, 04:37 PMVoltron, f*ck yeah! I've been watching that with daughter. And sometimes without my daughter.

... And I bought some lions. Don't judge me.
It's so good. I am really impressed with this entire goddamn series. It was consistently excellent, IMHO.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Medic_wheat

Kinda hijakckng your thread

Recently I have bothered to claim my digital download codes from movies and such.

The issue I have is various companies use varying apps and such to claim their movies/tv shows. There doesn't seem to be a centralized hub.

So now I have to remember log in information for:

iTunes
Vudu
Movies anywhere

And other I am probably forgetting.

Are there good options to hav Ernest digital download movies and such in one app?

GaijinD

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 04/18/2018, 08:22 PMiTunes
Vudu
Movies anywhere
I'm pretty sure it's possible to link some of these accounts to consolidate your library. I know I linked my Vudu account to Movies Anywhere because they were giving out some free movies to incentivize it.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

gheebee

You can link them but not all titles are supported on all platforms, so you may mind up with movies that can only be watched through a specific streaming site. Apparently Movies Anywhere can combine Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, and Vudu libraries.

https://www.imore.com/how-add-your-ultraviolet-movies-movies-anywhere