Am I the only one who did NOT know this??

Started by MotherGunner, 10/10/2013, 02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seieienbu

So upon finding out that my girlfriend had never played Actraiser we ran through the game this week.  I was surprised to hear what sounded very much like the 20th century fox movie theme just as the credits were about to roll:
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

OldRover

Quote from: seieienbu on 03/06/2016, 06:19 AMSo upon finding out that my girlfriend had never played Actraiser we ran through the game this week.  I was surprised to hear what sounded very much like the 20th century fox movie theme just as the credits were about to roll:  https://youtu.be/jJoAAs_OtEc&t=17m57s
Glad I'm not the only one who also noticed that.

Another connection... some people caught this before, but just in case some missed it... Frozen Utopia's first/last/only release, Mysterious Song, contains a track called "Tears..." which is basically a video game remake of "As Tears Go By" by The Rolling Stones.

Original song:
MSR version:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

^ As Tears Go By!

I would not have caught that. Ha!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

dallaspattern

CatPix

One that always amuse me, especially since it's Nintendo (boo I know, but.. this is too funny) and that Nintendo always tried to avoid any political stuff into their game.
What has been heard...

CrackTiger

Quote from: CatPix on 03/07/2016, 06:51 AMOne that always amuse me, especially since it's Nintendo (boo I know, but.. this is too funny) and that Nintendo always tried to avoid any political stuff into their game.

https://youtu.be/78ljfawOKLc

https://youtu.be/P5ZWzhhtlNE

What has been heard...
That's awesome. :P

The composer probably just didn't say anything and no one in charge of quality control noticed.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ccovell

Japanese people currently between the ages of 55-70 years old (ie: first-wave postwar baby boomers, from my random experience) tend to know by name & like several Russian folk songs for various reasons.  There's not really any musical animosity, as far as I can tell.

CatPix

I didn't know that.

Still, even if it explain it one bit, it's a national anthem, not any folk song.
You'd expect NOA to have identified it and asked Nintendo to remove it... but it apparently slipped through :p
For lots of people even.

seieienbu

Gao

So I didn't expect that downloading an Italian progressive rock band's discography would lead me to a song that probably inspired the most atmospheric song in Mario 64:

Goblin's Jennifer:
Mario 64's Dire Dire Docks theme:

Echelon5

The Reactor level theme from System Shock has a chunky bass line clearly inspired by Nine Inch Nails.

Reactor theme:
Head Like a Hole:
Another System Shock one, the Research level has a similar progression to Mammagamma by Alan Parsons Project.

Research theme:
Mammagamma:
Makes sense really, much of System Shock 1 was created by musicians Looking Glass recruited from the Boston based band Tribe.

seieienbu

It seems a bit too soon for last year's Undertale to have ripped off the music from 2009's FF13:
Then again, High Seas Havoc ripped off FF4 a mere 2 years after it was released.

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 03/25/2015, 01:43 PMJim Power rips off at least one Ys III track.
I was playing Jim Power today and excitedly noticed that the first stage's song Forgotten Path seemed quite reminiscent of Ys III's Searing Struggle.  Upon searching the thread I saw this was addressed but had not been linked.  I figure the content is worth the neco-bump, so, here ya go!

geise

Heh I remember that now.  Totally forgot how close those were.  Listening to it again it's crazy.

MotherGunner

So far most of these had been a PCE/TG music that came after the original song.

I now offer a song that came after the game!

Ballistix:
Chris Stapleton - Parachute:
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

munchiaz

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 03/25/2015, 09:58 AMI'm pretty sure everyone knows the Ys4 boss music is almost directly ripped from Far Beyond The Sun - Yngwie Malmsteen.
Didn't know about this until last night while i was playing Ys IV. Its spot on Malmsteen, and fits right in. I wonder what his thoughts are on it

gheebee

The song from the level 1 boss in God Panic sounds a lot like Stairway to Heaven. I think that at some point later in the game there is some music that reminds me of a Guns N Roses song but it's been a while since I played this so I'm not 100% sure.

edit: This blog post mentions Stairway to Heaven in God Panic too, as well as a few other songs (2nd paragraph): http://1cclog.blogspot.com/2013/04/god-panic-pc-engine-cd.html No mention of Guns N Roses though, maybe I just don't remember right.

esteban

Quote from: gheebee on 09/08/2017, 02:33 PMThe song from the level 1 boss in God Panic sounds a lot like Stairway to Heaven. I think that at some point later in the game there is some music that reminds me of a Guns N Roses song but it's been a while since I played this so I'm not 100% sure.

edit: This blog post mentions Stairway to Heaven in God Panic too, as well as a few other songs (2nd paragraph): http://1cclog.blogspot.com/2013/04/god-panic-pc-engine-cd.html No mention of Guns N Roses though, maybe I just don't remember right.
It's definitely Stairway to Heaven...I commented on it here before (maybe this thread?) and other forums.

IIRC, there are other tracks that seem to be "inspired by" famous songs... (isn't there a classical song? Like Bach or Mozart? Jeezus, I haven't played that game in a long time...)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Loom ripped the crap off of Tchaikovsky.

Neo Nectaris stole Macho Man's theme.

Star Breaker totally isn't Star Wars or other orchestral pieces.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

seieienbu

This is my most favorite thread on PCEFX; thanks for the updates.  <3

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 09/08/2017, 04:41 PMLoom credits Tchaikovsky
It's OK. He's dead. Not even Emerson Lake and Palmer credited dead classical composers who's shit they jacked (but they did credit living ones). Most of the time it's assumed you know the piece.
IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 09/08/2017, 10:29 PM
Quote from: NecroPhile on 09/08/2017, 04:41 PMLoom credits Tchaikovsky
It's OK. He's dead. Not even Emerson Lake and Palmer credited dead classical composers who's shit they jacked (but they did credit living ones). Most of the time it's assumed you know the piece.
Which is fair. These works are in the public domain and ought to be treated as our collective history. It's not like Tchaikovsky cares about not collecting royalties.

Purple1308

Pfloydguy2

Well, now that this thread has been revived, I might as well post a few more.

Castlevania 2's Dwelling of Doom  (start at the beginning of the track)
...sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen's Far Beyond the Sun  (see 0:23)
This melody from Top Gear on the SNES:
Sounds almost identical to Billy Joel's "The Stranger" (see 0:57)
The BGM from Jurassic Park NES's first stage
...was later used in Platypus on the PSP
Many of the original Doom's songs were inspired by rock and metal tracks.  You can find a list of the similarities here:  http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doom_music

I'm not sure if this counts, but Lemmings incorporated a ton of public domain music into its soundtrack:
Forest Green/O Little Town of Bethlehem
How Much is that Doggie in the Window
London Bridge is Falling Down
Turkish March
The Can-Can
She'll be Coming 'Round the Mountain
and so on.

Although I think a lot of this can be attributed to the fact that musical possibilities are inevitably limited.  When you consider the millions of artists across all genres and eras, many producing over a hundred works, there are bound to be similarities between random songs.  Compare the end of The Beatles's "A Day in the Life" to the hook from Billie Joe Royal's "Hush" (later made famous by Deep Purple) for one example of an identical riff that was (supposedly) coincidental, not stolen.

The Castlevania fanbase often credits Michiru Yamane with remixing tunes in her soundtracks that, in my opinion, are not intended to be remixes - they're just a sign of her limited musical range.  That's not meant to knock her as an artist; she's one of my favorites.

ccovell

Quote from: Pfloydguy2 on 02/22/2018, 01:53 PMThe BGM from Jurassic Park NES's first stage
These are of course covers of the infamous Comic Bakery loader on the C64 by Martin Galway:

seieienbu

I love when this thread gets bumped.
A bit of backstory; Michael Jackson supposedly worked on the soundtrack to Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.  He went uncredited supposedly because either he wasn't satisfied with the music he created or because Sega wanted to distance themselves from him as the child molestation lawsuits were beginning.  The stylistic similarities are most noticeable to me in the Sonic 3 act 1 boss theme.  Anyway, a keyboardist for the Jetzons was a producer for MJ and the song, Hard Times, sounds decidedly similar to both Smooth Criminal as well as the Sonic 3 stage Ice Cap Zone.

Pfloydguy2

Quote from: ccovell on 02/22/2018, 07:56 PMThese are of course covers of the infamous Comic Bakery loader on the C64 by Martin Galway:
Holy crap.  I never knew that.  Awesome!

ccovell

I didn't know the game Platypus before, but it looks like every one of its level themes is a very close remix of a famous C64 tune.
1) Comic Bakery, Martin Galway
2) Parallax, Galway
3) Sanxion, Rob Hubbard
4) Aztec Challenge, Paul Norman(?)
5) Wizball, Galway again
6) Driller, Matt Gray

The original C64 tunes are all awesome and really worth checking out.

ClodBusted

Top Gear track one:
Intro for Muse - Bliss:
Quote from: ccovell on 02/22/2018, 07:56 PM
Quote from: Pfloydguy2 on 02/22/2018, 01:53 PMThe BGM from Jurassic Park NES's first stage
https://youtu.be/e9tU1i-b6Bs&index=2&list=PL97BAA342077D0DF4
https://youtu.be/2dTVwRzqG7M&list=PLvnm_VUuHUAKqKylC7q1sjM-1QYs2ADYR
These are of course covers of the infamous Comic Bakery loader on the C64 by Martin Galway:
https://youtu.be/nf29ShkoAiA
Of course they are!  =D&gt;

ccovell

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2018, 04:20 AMIntro for Muse - Bliss:...
Well, they both have nearly the same chord progression as Bronski Beat's Smalltown Boy anyway...