The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

So we're illegals now.

Started by guyjin, 06/01/2007, 12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyjin

Here's hoping none of you are from New York state.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171789.html

It's now a felony in NY to sell a videogame console that lacks parental restrictions. There is no exception for classic consoles. What we're doing is illegal.

Fucking conservatives. :evil:

Kitsunexus

Seeing as how it was passed by senators in New York, there is only one person to blame:

IMG
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

offsidewing

Quote from: guyjin on 06/01/2007, 12:30 PMHere's hoping none of you are from New York state.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171789.html

It's now a felony in NY to sell a videogame console that lacks parental restrictions. There is no exception for classic consoles. What we're doing is illegal.

Fucking conservatives. :evil:
Did you just call the legislature for NY Conservative?????????????

Kitsunexus

guyjin

Kitsu: you're confusing state and federal government.

offsidewing: yes I did. Democrat <> liberal.

Joe Redifer

Banning and restricting videogames (and music and movies and television, etc etc etc) seems like something a Democrat would do more than a Conservative.  I am independent and hate both the big parties, but this really seems "Lefty" to me.  Hilary has taken a public stance against violent videogames.

offsidewing

Last November, Clinton and Lieberman introduced the Family Entertainment Protection Act, a federal piece of legislation that restricts minors' access to violent games in much the same way as the overturned Michigan law, but would also require the Federal Trade Commission to conduct annual audits of the industry's ratings system.

Seldane

Wow, you've got some strange stuff going on over there. :)
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

offsidewing

Now I'm really confused.

Why are liberals passing these laws any you're cursing small minded conservatives?

Conservatives over-turned these same laws in Illinios, Michigan, and the perceived uber-leftist land of California.

Rest assured, no matter which side of center you're blindly loyal too, liberals will fight to alter a person's civil liberites and conservatives will fight anything to do with change for better or worse.

My politics match my hockey prowess (and I've made a living being involved in both).  I'm a right wing skating on the left side.  If it's a close game, they always shift me to center.  I weep over the european style of the game and I'm frustrated over the stagnation of the North American version.  I hope the chinese don't get into hockey. :mrgreen:

NecroPhile

Another jackass law passed by a bunch of jackass politicians.  It will just end up wasting time in the overloaded court system just to get shot down anyway.  Best line in the article: "It was depressing to hear members of the Assembly note the constitutional problems with the bill and then state that they were voting for it".  Jackasses, I repeat, jackasses.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

offsidewing

Here, Here!

There should be some legislature against crappy games!  You want to talk about atrocities against mankind?!?  We'll sit 'em down with Deep Blue, Virtual Hydlide, Bubsy, Night Trap, and ET.  That'll make them pass some non-crappy-game-anti-proliferation agreement.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: offsidewing on 06/01/2007, 03:16 PMHere, Here!

There should be some legislature against crappy games!  You want to talk about atrocities against mankind?!?  We'll sit 'em down with Deep Blue, Virtual Hydlide, Bubsy, Night Trap, and ET.  That'll make them pass some non-crappy-game-anti-proliferation agreement.
Hey, Virtual Hydilde is actually cool in a twisted sort of way, and Bubsy has great music.

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/01/2007, 12:53 PMBanning and restricting videogames (and music and movies and television, etc etc etc) seems like something a Democrat would do more than a Conservative.
Hahaha, complete bullshit.  Both sides pander to the "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" crowd.

Also, as much as I hate that traitor to Illinois, she had nothing to do with this.

offsidewing

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 06/01/2007, 03:19 PMHey, Virtual Hydilde is actually cool in a twisted sort of way, and Bubsy has great music.
Ok, we'll swap Sword of Sodan for Virtual Hydlide.

Keranu

So are people going to start selling violent games to kids in dark alleys now?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

guyjin

Hell, I'll do it.

"Psst! hey kid! you want this copy of GTA3? Hot off the burner, but runs on your 'station just fine. Only $40."

heh heh heh.  :twisted:

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: Keranu on 06/01/2007, 04:13 PMSo are people going to start selling violent games to kids in dark alleys now?
Nope!  Clueless moms and dads will keep on buying little Timmy whatever game he keeps whining for.  Why would they take the responsibility of checking to see if it's appropriate?  Screw that noise - it's someone else's job.  The ESRB does a decent (but not perfect) job of rating games now, and nearly every retailer won't sell 'M' games to minors.  They just want to make it all mandatory, even though it is voluntarily being enforced anyway.  It won't change a f'n thing, but the politiscum can pat themselves on the back and say they're making living rooms safe for the kiddies.  Screw the kiddies - they gotta grow up sometime.  Well, don't literally screw 'em (unless you live in the hills of Kentucky, in which case go right ahead).

Seldane

What consoles lack parental restrictions anyway? Do they mean internal restrictions kind of like in dvd players, or do they mean the rating systems on the games themselves?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

NecroPhile

I think that's what they mean, Seldane.  They'd be used about as much as those built into TVs, cable boxes, and dvd players now (also known as never).

Seldane

So in other words, they ban everything except the PS3 and stuff? If that's the case, they can't even sell DS, PSP or PS2 systems anymore, and that'd be pretty crazy.
IMG

offsidewing

Make buying video games just like buying movie tickets and waste my tax dollars on something more worth while, like teaching cats to read.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: XiphasHahaha, complete bullshit.  Both sides pander to the "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" crowd.

Also, as much as I hate that traitor to Illinois, she had nothing to do with this.
Make a list of the Democrats and Republicans (two separate lists) who denounce videogames.  Look which list is substantially longer.  Also the article clearly says "Senators from New York".  Is Hillary no longer a Senator from New York?

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/01/2007, 09:07 PMAlso the article clearly says "Senators from New York".  Is Hillary no longer a Senator from New York?
This is the logic I based my assumption off of. As soon as I read those words I screamed "HILLARRRRYYYYY!"

nat

That's why America should follow China's fine example and become a communist nation.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/01/2007, 09:07 PMMake a list of the Democrats and Republicans (two separate lists) who denounce videogames.  Look which list is substantially longer.  Also the article clearly says "Senators from New York".  Is Hillary no longer a Senator from New York?
The title of the article clearly says "NY Assembly passes..."  Thats the state level, not national, and I'm 85% new that Hilary is a US senator from NY.  Reading comprehension clearly pwns you poor bastards.  :lol:

Joe Redifer

I'm talking about the first sentence which says and I quote "Earlier this month, state senators in New York approved a bill that would make rating labels on games mandatory just four days after it was introduced."  Leftys and Dems are the main force fighting videogames, which is my point.

Democrats are fags who usually have STDs and want more government control.

Republicans are stodgy old people who smell like dust.

offsidewing

Quote from: nat on 06/01/2007, 11:27 PMThat's why America should follow China's fine example and become a communist nation.
Without an solid captialistic backbone driving ecomonic need, communism can not function.  At least that's what Karl Marx thought, or was it Groucho??

Kitsunexus

PCEngineHell

I don't know,seems like the best time to hit shops up in NY over the net to help them unload all those illegal warez and systems of olden days.

Hobo Xiphas

Guys, the bill hasn't even passed the state senate yet.

I tried to check out the New York State Assembly webpage to check out the record for the vote for this bill but I couldn't get the page to load.  Stop DDoSing the New York State Assembly you angry nerds.

offsidewing

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Xiphas on 06/03/2007, 05:25 AMStop DDoSing the New York State Assembly you angry nerds.
Never.... ^.^

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/02/2007, 01:07 AMLeftys and Dems are the main force fighting videogames, which is my point.
Okay, I just managed to check out the voting roll call of the bill now that I can access the site without timing out.  You can check it out for yourself.

131 people voted for this bill out of 149 members.  I'd say that is pretty bi-paritsan.

However, if you check out the 10 people who voted against the bill, all 10 were Democrats.  I'd say that blows your theory out of the water.

nat

Quote from: Xiphas on 06/03/2007, 05:16 PMOkay, I just managed to check out the voting roll call of the bill now that I can access the site without timing out.  You can check it out for yourself.
Thanks.

In taking a look at that link, note the following excerpt:

"...require every new video game console sold at retail to include a
mechanism, device or control system that allows the console owner to
prevent the display of video games containing certain content on the
console"

I don't see anything here that says this law applies to the sale of old, used and/or obsolete video game systems. This bill is specifically for new consoles.

Further:

"Lastly, the latest generation of video game consoles for the home from
the three leading console manufacturers include parental control
features which allow owners to restrict the display of games
containing certain content on the console. Many parents use this
feature to prevent the display of games containing mature content on
consoles. This bill would ensure that every new console sold at retail
contains this important feature.
"

In summary, this bill will have absolutely zero effect on the sales of vintage consoles such as the TurboGrafx.

Joe Redifer

QuoteI'd say that blows your theory out of the water.
You're still missing my point.  You're focusing on this single bill right here, I'm referring to those who have fought against videogames since the fighting began.  Mostly Democrats. 

I assume you are a Democrat?

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/03/2007, 08:10 PMI assume you are a Democrat?
Nope.  Video game censorship really isn't split by party line, if anything I imagine it is split by generational lines.  Since no one in a generation that actually grew up with games is in power, it is hard to prove my claim though.  :(

These video game bills are used to pander to the soccer mom\morality police voter base (which really transcend the traditional party split), much like sex offender bills.  Since sex offenders and video gamers are an extreme minority of the voting public they can get away with this.  The only solution is for gamers not to vote for anyone who supports awful bills like this.  Sadly, this will never work as gamers just like to complain about these bills and will never, ever expend the effort to write their representatives or vote.

Okay, here is example.  This one from my home state of Illinois.  It was the bill that would have placed huge annoying warning labels on games and banned the selling of "obscene and violent" games to minors, but you can read it yourself if you can stand all the awful legalese.

The bill passed the Illinois House of Representatives 91-19 and the Illinois Senate 52-5

Of the 19 nays in the House, 5 were Democrats, and 14 were Republican.
Of the 5 nays in the Senate, 2 were Democrats, and 3 were Republican.
The bill was signed into law by a Democratic governor.

Interestingly, the Republicans had the most dissenters this time, although the bill still passed by a landslide in both houses.  Thankfully, this bill was later ruled to be unconstitutional, although the appeal is still in the court system.

Joe Redifer

What sex offender bills do you speak of?  Are sex offenders actually good people with a heart of gold?

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/03/2007, 08:56 PMWhat sex offender bills do you speak of?  Are sex offenders actually good people with a heart of gold?
Yes they are good people just like video gamers.

After all, we all love Kitsunexus and he is probably a borderline case.

offsidewing

Sex offenders and Video game parental controls in the same thread.

Another item checked of my "Stupid Shit I'll never see list."

Kitsunexus

LEEEEEROOOOOOY JEEEEENKIIIIINS!

offsidewing

Alright, let's do this...

Ugh.  I'll go ahead and post this anyways.

As a patriot of this great country, I vomit at the idea of putting the owness of rescriting the distribution of an intellectual property on a merchant.  For those of you awake in Western Civ, assuming you had the grades to get in, should be screaming Laissez Faire.  Don't use the alcohol and tobacco examples to refute.  They're federally excised commodities, along with soda pop and gasoline.  

Mandating parental controls placed on all new systems is similar to, but not a direct comparison, to the auto industry being required to equip all new cars with "LATCH" saftey devices for car seats.  No matter what the gov't mandates upon the manufacturers, it's still up to the PARENT to utilized the mandated devices.

At least I got chicken.

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: offsidewing on 06/03/2007, 10:25 PMsoda pop excise tax
I would really like a link for that, I have never heard of pop excise taxes actually ever passing.

Quote from: offsidewing on 06/03/2007, 10:25 PMMandating parental controls placed on all new systems is similar to, but not a direct comparison, to the auto industry being required to equip all new cars with "LATCH" saftey devices for car seats.  No matter what the gov't mandates upon the manufacturers, it's still up to the PARENT to utilized the mandated devices.
Everyone uses the V-Chip in their new televisions!

Sorry, this is politics.  It is about as logical as spinach on a pizza.

Keranu

Spinach on pizza is perfectly logical and tasty. However basil sauce and squid and whatever other crap they put on their pizzas in Japan is far from logical.
IMG

Hobo Xiphas

Oh, you know I was just trolling you, buddy!  [-X

Kitsunexus

Quote from: offsidewing on 06/03/2007, 10:25 PMAlright, let's do this...
At least I got chicken.
For the win horde!

offsidewing

Quote from: Xiphas on 06/03/2007, 10:36 PMI would really like a link for that, I have never heard of pop excise taxes actually ever passing.
I needed something for the mexican forum members to relate to...

nat

Quote from: offsidewingI needed something for the mexican forum members to relate to...
Fuck you, puto.

So what if I've had a mustache since I was 7 years old, esé?

offsidewing

Quote from: nat on 06/04/2007, 01:29 PM
Quote from: offsidewingI needed something for the mexican forum members to relate to...
Fuck you, puto.

So what if I've had a mustache since I was 7 years old, esé?
I didn't know you were loco!

termis

Damn, I gotta go watch me some American Me or something like that.