OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

My 2-slot MVS system died,Joe was so right,SNK does suck!

Started by PCEngineHell, 06/21/2007, 02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineHell

Just kidding,no death here,and only Joe sucks :P

Ok,so I was bored the other day,had nothing to do,kids are on vacation with grandparents, I was off work,I had 5 hours to burn on nuthin...
So I say hey,why not consolize my MVS. I typically and very against doing this stuff,because its been the going trend as of late,but I reasoned with myself that it will be ok,all will be forgiven as long as I leave the jamma area alone. So anyway,5 hours later and you have this:
IMG

I left Samurai Showdown 2 in as a homage to Joe's constant bitching about how hard it is. The video encoder is bolted so it wont come loose. The power port is normal cd-rom ATX power plug type,and is bolted down above the memory card port. You can still insert a memory card fine. Any AT or ATX power supply will power the system,as those are my fav to use. I also trimmed the controller ports back so they will accept normal db15 cables,not just the NEO AES ones. I don't like plexiglass,so I used jet black wood for the base the system is mounted onto. On each side of the wood is a rail grip so I can grip the unit easier when moving it,or to keep it slightly above carpet level if I need to place it on the floor or something so the wood wont get messed up.

The pic is at a low res,sorry for that. System looks alot better in person.

Now I can leave it out all the time,it will constantly stay connected to the tv along with my supergun.

Kitsunexus

Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

PCEngineHell

Yea,its nice looking,but now I will be compelled to obtain another untouched 2-slot to box away for the sake of doing so. The one I used for the consolization was in near new condition.

TR0N

Nice job on the uhhh ghetto mod ?

Still i guess you wanted it to work and not worry about it's looks.

Having a, CMVS is convenient since ya just have it hookup to the tv and your ready to go.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

PCEngineHell

Quote from: <TRON> on 06/21/2007, 02:47 AMNice job on the uhhh ghetto mod ?

Having a, CMVS is convenient since ya just have it hookup to the tv and your ready to go.
Lol,actually it looks pretty nice,to me at least,as its how I wanted it to look,although I am sure others look much nicer when having alot of money poured into them. All the jacks are hidden pretty well under the metal casing. The only really ghetto part right now is the atx power plug wires your looking at....unless you hate wood. I hate sheet metal,it conducts, and plexiglass,cause it can crack and it scuffs easily,so I will only use wood. That will be different here soon. I will be altering a power supply so its just used for this,and the wires will be housed in toobing. I used a real MVS insert,and bolted it down too. I bolted the encoder onto the metal casing instead of what I know people usually do,hot glue it to the PCB. Hot glue can be a real pain in the ass to remove,so if the encoder ever went bad I'd not want to have to pry hot glue off of it. That would suck ass. the paint job is perfect,no runs what so ever. I used high grade car paint.

Hey Tron,you got a pic of you consolized unit? I never asked if you did.

TR0N

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/21/2007, 03:00 AM
Quote from: <TRON> on 06/21/2007, 02:47 AMNice job on the uhhh ghetto mod ?

Lol,actually it looks pretty nice,to me at least,as its how I wanted it to look,although I am sure others look much nicer when having alot of money poured into them. All the jacks are hidden pretty well under the metal casing. The only really ghetto part right now is the atx power plug wires your looking at....unless you hate wood. I hate sheet metal,it conducts, and plexiglass,cause it can crack and it scuffs easily,so I will only use wood. That will be different here soon. I will be altering a power supply so its just used for this,and the wires will be housed in toobing. I used a real MVS insert,and bolted it down too. I bolted the encoder onto the metal casing instead of what I know people usually do,hot glue it to the PCB. Hot glue can be a real pain in the ass to remove,so if the encoder ever went bad I'd not want to have to pry hot glue off of it. That would suck ass. the paint job is perfect,no runs what so ever. I used high grade car paint.

Hey Tron,you got a pic of you consolized unit? I never asked if you did.
Well that explains it interesting enough i've seen ppl use wood caseing for there, CMVS instead of plastic or metal.

Still i call it ghetto since all those wires and stuff were sticking out. Of corse i wasn't looking close enough to see that "your useing a wood as the base plate  :oops:

Not a bad use for it either seems more sturdy... then the plastic ones i've seen people use.

Now i'll show you mine i bought it from a member over at neo-geo.com. Since your asking for the picture again.

Pretty much the base plate is plastic and i handle the thing very carefuly.

As for the audio and video it just has composite and component since that's all i need. I never cared for, s-video that much and as for rbg... i don't have a montior that suports it so i thought why bother.

IMG

Btw i wouldn't mind getting a different mvs board one day.

Such as a MV-1C since more compact and will play snkp titles.
IMG

PCEngineHell

Kitsunexus

Michael, you'd probably know the answer so I'll ask you: Is it possible to bevel out the AES cart slot some more, and then unscrew it and replace the AES cart port with an MVS?

D-Lite

Came out pretty nice MH, especially for quick work.  What did you use for the paint?  I found that there's really not much you can do to keep the paint from chipping around cart slots.  Priming and painting works fine, but still chips.  I've been considering powdercoating a cover like some have done, but that would take a bit of time to do nicely.
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

That looks absolutely amateur-tastic in every way!  And by that I mean "awful".  Wires going everywhere... a case that even a first year metal shop student would be ashamed of.  Geez.  Sculpt and mold a nice plastic case, and make it look "kick ass"!  Not "like ass".

D-Lite

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 02:07 PMThat looks absolutely amateur-tastic in every way!  And by that I mean "awful".  Wires going everywhere... a case that even a first year metal shop student would be ashamed of.  Geez.  Sculpt and mold a nice plastic case, and make it look "kick ass"!  Not "like ass".
I'm not sure what you mean by "wires going everywhere".  One is S-Video, one is a controller, the only other is the 4-wire PSU cable.  ??
Check my site for Turbo, Neo, NGPC, and superguns!
IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 02:07 PMThat looks absolutely amateur-tastic in every way!  And by that I mean "awful".  Wires going everywhere... a case that even a first year metal shop student would be ashamed of.  Geez.  Sculpt and mold a nice plastic case, and make it look "kick ass"!  Not "like ass".
STFU Joe, it's cyberpunk.

Keranu

Hell yeah, cyberpunk is a great way to describe it and nothing's cooler than cyberpunk 8) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

Nothing looks more sad than PC power supply cords.  That's why I power my PC with pure thought energy.  Also, tr00 consoles have the wires coming from the back, not the sides.  Wires coming from the sides is just teh ghey.  And that's not cyberpunk.  If it were cyberpunk, it'd have blinking lights and holographics and shit.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 03:58 PMIf it were cyberpunk, it'd have blinking lights and holographics and shit.
No, that's just sci-fi.

Joe Redifer

Silly me, I forgot that Cyberpunk wasn't science fiction!

Anyway, post some cyberpunk pics that look similar in style to Helgeson's rush-job.

Kitsunexus

Look for your own. GIS.

IMG

Joe Redifer

No can do.  You're the one who insists that it's "cyberpunk".  His MVS doesn't remind me of anything seen in Snatcher.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 04:48 PMNo can do.  You're the one who insists that it's "cyberpunk".  His MVS doesn't remind me of anything seen in Snatcher.
STFU, nothing's ever good enough for you.

Joe Redifer

Kitsunexus

Joe Redifer

No more feebies until you pay for your last session, Kitsu.

NecroPhile

She looks pretty good, but what color is the paint?  I hope that it isn't the bloody brown that it looks like on my screen.

Quote from: D-Lite on 06/21/2007, 01:34 PMCame out pretty nice MH, especially for quick work.  What did you use for the paint?  I found that there's really not much you can do to keep the paint from chipping around cart slots.  Priming and painting works fine, but still chips.  I've been considering powdercoating a cover like some have done, but that would take a bit of time to do nicely.
Have you tried using pre-painted coil stock?  PVDF paint should hold up nicely to just about anything you can throw at it.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 03:58 PMNothing looks more sad than PC power supply cords.  That's why I power my PC with pure thought energy.  Also, tr00 consoles have the wires coming from the back, not the sides.  Wires coming from the sides is just teh ghey.  And that's not cyberpunk.  If it were cyberpunk, it'd have blinking lights and holographics and shit.
Damn straight!  Duos are uber ghey - power cord and a/v cord on the same side.  Only a syphilitic hobo would want such a lame piece of hardware.... wait, I'm not a hobo.  :roll:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Turbo D

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 06/21/2007, 12:52 PMIs it possible to bevel out the AES cart slot some more, and then unscrew it and replace the AES cart port with an MVS?
I do know that there is a converter that will let you play the mvs carts on your aes, but they can be expensive.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: turbo D on 06/21/2007, 06:14 PMI do know that there is a converter that will let you play the mvs carts on your aes, but they can be expensive.
And according to everyone else, they're shit. I'm talking about a literal swap of the cartridge connectors and widening the cart slot on the AES.

guyjin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 03:58 PMlso, tr00 consoles have the wires coming from the back, not the sides.  Wires coming from the sides is just teh ghey.  And that's not cyberpunk.  If it were cyberpunk, it'd have blinking lights and holographics and shit.
so the Turbo and Duo are not tr00 consoles?  [-X

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 06/21/2007, 06:23 PM
Quote from: turbo D on 06/21/2007, 06:14 PMI do know that there is a converter that will let you play the mvs carts on your aes, but they can be expensive.
And according to everyone else, they're shit. I'm talking about a literal swap of the cartridge connectors and widening the cart slot on the AES.
I don't think it would work properly.

Joe Redifer

Why would you want AES compatibility?  MVS destroys AES in every way every single time!  It even has better graphics!

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 07:18 PMWhy would you want AES compatibility?  MVS destroys AES in every way every single time!  It even has better graphics!
1. No, it's the same damn thing.

2. I DON'T WANT AES COMPATIBILITY! I WANT AN MVS THAT HAS AN AES CASE!!! You would lose all AES compatibility   by performing the swap anyway.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: D-Lite on 06/21/2007, 01:34 PMCame out pretty nice MH, especially for quick work.  What did you use for the paint?  I found that there's really not much you can do to keep the paint from chipping around cart slots.  Priming and painting works fine, but still chips.  I've been considering powdercoating a cover like some have done, but that would take a bit of time to do nicely.
Yea,it was a fast job. I agree on the cart ports too,I have seen that peoples cart port areas over time just chip away,esp so because some carts have  a tad tighter fit,even powdercoating will chip after a bit,even if it is baked on. I used some car paint by Dupli-Color. I know the pic quality sucks ass. The color is actually velvet red,which is a tad darker then normal red,which is what I wanted. Basically I strayed off from the normal Big Red color scheme.

I opted for no audio jacks,I myself just didn't see the point,as I have no plans to sell it and I have tons of the ear phone to RCA cords and adapter sets I have made and the 2-Slot has 2 earphone outs.

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 06/21/2007, 12:52 PMMichael, you'd probably know the answer so I'll ask you: Is it possible to bevel out the AES cart slot some more, and then unscrew it and replace the AES cart port with an MVS?
I think I read KPJ does a mod like this,I am not sure. Dean would know more on that then me most likely.

Why not sculpt and mold a nice plastic case for you AES stick,and make it look "kick ass"! Not "broke ass".
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 03:58 PMNothing looks more sad than PC power supply cords.  That's why I power my PC with pure thought energy.  Also, tr00 consoles have the wires coming from the back, not the sides.  Wires coming from the sides is just teh ghey.  And that's not cyberpunk.  If it were cyberpunk, it'd have blinking lights and holographics and shit.
So Joe,I take it you are saying the TG-16,Nes,Genesis 3,Pc Engine,Supergrafx,ect are not tr00 consoles? I guess only Baldwins know best....

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 07:18 PMWhy would you want AES compatibility?  MVS destroys AES in every way every single time!  It even has better graphics!
For once Joe is about right on everything but the graphics. The RGB quality can be better off a MVS btw.

Joe Redifer

NES is the only console I have where the AV port is on the side.  My TG-16 + CD has 'em on the back, though NEC is quite the confused console maker.  Genesis 3 doesn't even count as, well, anything.  Imagine a DVD player or whatnot with the AV jacks on the side.  I see this A LOT in the console mod community... there seems to be an overwhelming urge to put the jacks on the side.  My AES has an RGB bypass so it is better than the typical AES RGB.  I've never seen an MVS with a proper RGB jack, at least one that I can buy a SCART cable for.

TR0N

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/21/2007, 08:31 AMDoes your 2-slot not handle Playmore titles?
Yes it does 2-slots,4-slots and 6-slots play snkp titles.

I'm thinking of switching to a, MV-1C one becuse there compact... plus they play the snkp titles.

The other 1-slots don't such as the MV-1F and MV-1B don't
IMG

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 08:31 PMNES is the only console I have where the AV port is on the side.  My TG-16 + CD has 'em on the back, though NEC is quite the confused console maker.  Genesis 3 doesn't even count as, well, anything.  Imagine a DVD player or whatnot with the AV jacks on the side.  I see this A LOT in the console mod community... there seems to be an overwhelming urge to put the jacks on the side.  My AES has an RGB bypass so it is better than the typical AES RGB.  I've never seen an MVS with a proper RGB jack, at least one that I can buy a SCART cable for.
Since you feel Scart is the proper rgb jack for you,I suggest you move to the UK. I seriously doubt every console you have bought has a Scart jack right out of the box,correct? Therefore it is safe to assume you had them modded or you bought Scart cables for the newer systems 32-bit on up. A MVS can also be modded in the same manner to support Scart. This is what most UK MVS colsolizers do last I checked... Besides,I know why you like Scart,you have your consoles modded for Scart support so you can convert it to Component with a  Scart to Component adapter. Nothing new.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: <TRON> on 06/21/2007, 09:22 PM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/21/2007, 08:31 AMDoes your 2-slot not handle Playmore titles?
Yes it does 2-slots,4-slots and 6-slots play snkp titles.

I'm thinking of switching to a, MV-1C one becuse there compact... plus they play the snkp titles.

The other 1-slots don't such as the MV-1F and MV-1B don't
Ahh,ok.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/21/2007, 10:03 PMSince you feel Scart is the proper rgb jack for you,I suggest you move to the UK. I seriously doubt every console you have bought has a Scart jack right out of the box,correct? Therefore it is safe to assume you had them modded or you bought Scart cables for the newer systems 32-bit on up. A MVS can also be modded in the same manner to support Scart. This is what most UK MVS colsolizers do last I checked... Besides,I know why you like Scart,you have your consoles modded for Scart support so you can convert it to Component with a  Scart to Component adapter. Nothing new.
No, I meant like a normal 8-pin DIN jack like the AES.  Obviously it can be done.  Just use a port from a TurboTap (that's what I did for my Turbo CD).

Anyway all joking aside, the MVS does confuse me with its many slots and now some of them can't even play Playmore titles?  I know there are options in some games that can't be had when played on an MVS.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/21/2007, 10:15 PM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/21/2007, 10:03 PMSince you feel Scart is the proper rgb jack for you,I suggest you move to the UK. I seriously doubt every console you have bought has a Scart jack right out of the box,correct? Therefore it is safe to assume you had them modded or you bought Scart cables for the newer systems 32-bit on up. A MVS can also be modded in the same manner to support Scart. This is what most UK MVS colsolizers do last I checked... Besides,I know why you like Scart,you have your consoles modded for Scart support so you can convert it to Component with a  Scart to Component adapter. Nothing new.
No, I meant like a normal 8-pin DIN jack like the AES.  Obviously it can be done.  Just use a port from a TurboTap (that's what I did for my Turbo CD).

Anyway all joking aside, the MVS does confuse me with its many slots and now some of them can't even play Playmore titles?  I know there are options in some games that can't be had when played on an MVS.
Last I heard some AES decks get issues with Playmore titles too. its the really old first gen decks MVS wise. On MVS decks like the 2-slot the bios is socketed,you can swap it in about 4 mins with a uni-bios if it so pleases you.

Joe Redifer

So what the hell was Playmore programming for if MVS and AES have troubles?  Some sort of Neo Geo 1.1 edition?  I know Playmore is quirky, but damn!

PCEngineHell

Ehh,that kinda stuff happens on alot when hardware revisions change here and there. Happened on Genesis,Snes,ect...

Any Neo hardware I ever owned has never had any probs with Playmore carts though myself. But I may have just been lucky.

TR0N

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/21/2007, 11:25 PMEhh,that kinda stuff happens on alot when hardware revisions change here and there. Happened on Genesis,Snes,ect...

Any Neo hardware I ever owned has never had any probs with Playmore carts though myself. But I may have just been lucky.
Yup hardware revisions beside snkp being lazy... on not making sure there games worked on every board.

Since you showed your cmvs 2-slot. You wouldn't have a problem with any, snkp title any ways since they play every thing.
IMG

PCEngineHell

Quote from: <TRON> on 06/22/2007, 11:16 PM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 06/21/2007, 11:25 PMEhh,that kinda stuff happens on alot when hardware revisions change here and there. Happened on Genesis,Snes,ect...

Yup hardware revisions beside snkp being lazy... on not making sure there games worked on every board.

Since you showed your cmvs 2-slot. You wouldn't have a problem with any, snkp title any ways since they play every thing.
Yea,I had figured as much,because I never got any problems with any title with it or any of the newer boards.

Joe Redifer

Gotta collect all of the Playskool games.  Err I mean Playmore.  Yeah!

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/23/2007, 10:01 AMGotta collect all of the Playskool games.  Err I mean Playmore.  Yeah!
The later Playmore titles are "OK". I did not care for what they did to KOF except for KOF 2003. Sam Showdown 5 is ok,but I'm not crazy for it. Same way with Metal Slug 4,and I hate Metal Slug 5. I don't think everything they do sucks,but I def feel the change in quality is apparent from before Playmores time. It sjust odd to because my understanding is most of the originals are back at the helm,yet you really cant tell can you? Metal Slug 6 was the first title by them other then KOF2k3 and SNKvsCap  Chaos that I felt was really impressive 2dwise.

Joe Redifer

I'd like to know who came up with the name "Playmore".  I feel that everything bad that ever happened is his fault.  I bet he was disappointed that the name "THQ" was already taken.

Keranu

Playmore is a retarded name. Eolith was interesting, but still not a comfortable sounding name.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Kitsunexus

I remember reading this interview with some Americans that worked for Playmore like a month after SNK became SNK Playmore. I can't really tell you all what they said, but I remember thinking, "Damn, these guys are assholes!".

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Keranu on 06/23/2007, 07:47 PMPlaymore is a retarded name. Eolith was interesting, but still not a comfortable sounding name.
Eolith was the team of programmers they used,kinda like Treasure.

Keranu

I know, but what my post says still applies :) . Really weird name.
IMG