work in progress of a new song - tell me what you think!

Started by Kitsunexus, 02/13/2008, 05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsunexus

This is not loop-based like the last one, everything has been sequenced by me. It's not anywhere near done but I want to hear what you guys think. ^_^

http://www.filefactory.com/file/0a5fb8/

EDIT: If Filefactory is sucking as usual, try this:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gqays8

EDIT EDIT:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6cc1mrzrd9b
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

MissaFX

I always use bigupload.com because it has an upload meter and the site seems to be always up.

I'll check out your song after I sleep a little, music gets my brain working too much and I have just spent and hour shutting it down.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

nat

I'll check it out after work since I've got no audio here.

Kitsunexus

Also, a little backstory, this was a essentially a throwaway song because I wrote it for a puzzle game that never got released (even in demo form) about a year ago. Last night, after I had "acquired" Ravity(S) and Ravity(R) I decided to try and revisit it, which I still am.

The synths and FX I used so far are:

LUXONIX Ravity(S): Everything except drums. I like this better than Purity, Purity is too "soft".  This replaced a combination of Triangle II and FM7, which just sounded too harsh. As soon as I get my hands on a SC-8850, I'll use that and Cobalt more often than Ravity.

MAGIX Beatbox: This is what powers the first beat, and the jangly 808/909 percussion, and the WHOOOSH-boom-boom-boom. It's a sample based drum machine, but you have to use THEIR samples (which aren't really that bad). Unfortunately, it's programmed by an internal sequencer and not by MIDI so I couldn't route it to Ravity(R) without re-writing everything.

MAGIX Robota: This is what powers the beat that kicks in later, it's an analog drum computer simulator (or as I like to call it, an 808-ripoff). This sounds REALLY good and it's insanely easy to program and tweak, but it's also an internal sequencer so again I couldn't route it to Ravity(R) without re-writing everything.

LUXONIX LFX-1310:
This is a really awesome free FX unit that sounds really great! I used it for some slight distortion and a EQ lowcut filter on Beatbox.

MAGIX Vintage Chorus: This was used to add chorus to the string pads. Nothing much to write home about, it does it's job.

Sinistron

IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

PCEngineHell

Needs more crunch and bass,otherwise sounds great. Would have been interesting to place it with a actual game/game play.

Sinistron

sounds like it'd be right at home on a pce cd shmup kits
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

nat

That right there is the start of something great.

Joe Redifer

MissaFX

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/13/2008, 05:08 PMNeeds more crunch and bass,otherwise sounds great.
Surely you jest?  Or your speakers/headphones are broken.  There's a good deal more bass then there is treble.  There's more bass than in the song Planet Fuzz (Purple Motion). 

My concern is that you do not have enough volume (+1 to 2db maybe?) on your hi-hat, infact the whole high end of the song could use a little more flushing out to make it sound warmer.  I might be a little more agressive in the left/right seperation of the whole song if I was doing it as well.

At about 37 seconds into it, it would be nice to have some kind of hi-hat fill-in, even something just like the hi-hat momentarily increasing in tempo like in many techno songs.  You could also just put in something like a quick double or tripple handclapp right there.

It would be nice if the woodblock like sound alternated left and right, right then left.  After 37 seconds you could change to: center center left right, center center right left.  At about the point where the song currently ends, you could go back to the first pattern.

It's a great start though :D
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Missa on 02/13/2008, 07:57 PM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/13/2008, 05:08 PMNeeds more crunch and bass,otherwise sounds great.
Surely you jest?  Or your speakers/headphones are broken.  There's a good deal more bass then there is treble.  There's more bass than in the song Planet Fuzz (Purple Motion). 

My concern is that you do not have enough volume (+1 to 2db maybe?) on your hi-hat, infact the whole high end of the song could use a little more flushing out to make it sound warmer.  I might be a little more agressive in the left/right seperation of the whole song if I was doing it as well.

At about 37 seconds into it, it would be nice to have some kind of hi-hat fill-in, even something just like the hi-hat momentarily increasing in tempo like in many techno songs.  You could also just put in something like a quick double or tripple handclapp right there.

It would be nice if the woodblock like sound alternated left and right, right then left.  After 37 seconds you could change to: center center left right, center center right left.  At about the point where the song currently ends, you could go back to the first pattern.

Sorry Missa,it didn't make my bedrooms floor firing or front firing Altec subs break a sweat. The bass was there,but not on par with other lows in other techno/industrial rock. Given though Kits song here is for  a game,not meant to blow my subs...Maybe your setup is more sensitive? Nothing is wrong with my subs,other music like stuff by KMFDM pushes the subs nicely,esp on the lows on Megalomaniac:
or the punch from this song,WW III:
or LOA I sit on acid:

Hunt down the real stuff though,youtube isn't the best way to listen to music.

Edit: Thought Id add Im using 2 sets,a Altec Lansing ACS45.1 and a ATP3 modded by me to have rca in jacks. Anyone with experience with Altec stuff knows their $100 on up systems hit very very loud make your neighbors pissed window shaking bass.

ParanoiaDragon

IMG

Ceti Alpha

Very nice kits.  =D> I look forward to the finished product. You're certainly on to something there.  :)
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Hobo Xiphas

Kitsunexus

Thanks for all the love you guys! Missa and Micheal, I will try and implement those ideas. :)

termis

Good stuff  =D> -- you should hook up with some of the homebrew developers around here and get your music in their games!

NecroPhile

Nicely done, Kitsune.  I'm not much of a techno fan, but I'm digging your song.

Just one little tip: needs more cowbell.  :wink:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Kitsunexus

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/13/2008, 08:20 PM

Sorry Missa,it didn't make my bedrooms floor firing or front firing Altec subs break a sweat. The bass was there,but not on par with other lows in other techno/industrial rock. Given though Kits song here is for  a game,not meant to blow my subs...Maybe your setup is more sensitive? Nothing is wrong with my subs,other music like stuff by KMFDM pushes the subs nicely,esp on the lows on Megalomaniac:
or LOA I sit on acid:

Edit: Thought Id add Im using 2 sets,a Altec Lansing ACS45.1 and a ATP3 modded by me to have rca in jacks. Anyone with experience with Altec stuff knows their $100 on up systems hit very very loud make your neighbors pissed window shaking bass.
Just a note on this, I use Altec Lansing PC speakers, and I have to unhook them when I'm making msuic, because it puts out too much bass and gives me a false idea of how the msuic really sounds.

Thanks again for all of the positive reviews!

MissaFX

I use a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones from the 90's.  They are plugged into a headphone out and my eq is flat.  The bass on this song is very low though, well below the sweetspot of most woofers.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 02/14/2008, 01:19 AM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/13/2008, 08:20 PM

or LOA I sit on acid:

Just a note on this, I use Altec Lansing PC speakers, and I have to unhook them when I'm making msuic, because it puts out too much bass and gives me a false idea of how the msuic really sounds.

Thanks again for all of the positive reviews!
When you unhook them what do you use instead? Headphones,ect?

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/13/2008, 05:08 PMNeeds more crunch and bass,otherwise sounds great. Would have been interesting to place it with a actual game/game play.
Very Nice!!

as for the more crunch, any song can use more crunchy guitars.  \m/
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

NigazAllucard

Nice work! keep going! I used to do same sometime ago,when I had a project to do a ORIGINAL fighting game using mugen core.. I still have fruityloops and my guitar accomplished on pc.someday I back at work too. Hearing your work gimme "will" to come back.
TODAY'S PHRASE: "All Your Base Are Belong To Us"
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/14/2008, 07:45 PMWhen you unhook them what do you use instead? Headphones,ect?
Sony personal headphones.

Quote from: nigazallucard on 02/15/2008, 11:07 AMNice work! keep going! I used to do same sometime ago,when I had a project to do a ORIGINAL fighting game using mugen core.. I still have fruityloops and my guitar accomplished on pc.someday I back at work too. Hearing your work gimme "will" to come back
Dude, upload some of your songs, I want to hear them!