OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Wonderboy Series

Started by nat, 02/08/2011, 10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

Due to popular demand the below text has been made into it's own thread and stickied for easy reference.

The series started as the "Wonderboy" series, as developed by Westone for SEGA. Due to licensing issues what with SEGA retaining the rights to the "Wonderboy" name and Westone retaining rights to the actual game, the games are named something different on nearly every platform they were ported to. Sometimes they even differ in name on the same platform, between regions.

Without going into things too much, here's a quick legend for you:

Wonderboy (1st game)
Wonderboy (SMS)
Adventure Island (NES)

Wonderboy in Monsterland (2nd game)
Super Wonderboy in Monsterland (SMS)
Bikkuriman World (PCE/TG16 JP)

Wonderboy III: Monster Lair (3rd game)
Wonderboy III: Monster Lair (PCE/TG16 JP, Genesis)
Monster Lair (PCE/TG16 US)

The Dragon's Trap (4th game)
Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap (SMS US)
Monster World II (SMS JP)
Adventure Island (PCE/TG16 JP)
Dragon's Curse (PCE/TG16 US)

Wonderboy V: Monster World III (5th game)
Wonderboy V: Monster World III (Genesis JP)
Wonderboy in Monster World (Genesis US)
Dynastic Hero (PCE/TG16 both regions)

There are other platforms these games appeared on, but I listed the main/most common ones here. Only the first game saw a port on the NES. Speaking of the first game, it's also the only game that didn't make it to the PCE/TG16. The Turbo game New Adventure Island is very similar to the first Wonderboy, and it could be viewed as a "remake" of the original with greatly improved graphics (added parallax) and level changes. Some of the level cues are taken directly from the first game but it's not a straight port by any means.

As you can see from the list, "Adventure Island" on the NES and "Adventure Island" on the PCE were actually ports of different games in the series. You might also know that 3 sequels were made on the NES (Adventure Island 2, 3 & 4). These games have nothing to do with the "Wonderboy" series and were spin-offs done by Hudson (not Westone). This spin-off series continued on the SNES and eventually the Wii.

There was a 6th game on the Genesis called "Monster World IV." The "Wonderboy" name was dropped from the title on that final game (probably because the hero is a girl) so it's technically not a part of the series.

Screenshot Comparisons

Wonderboy

Left to right, top to bottom: Arcade, SEGA Master System, NES (Adventure Island), TurboGrafx-16 (New Adventure Island)

IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Tatsujin

=D>

Also to mention the two 2 sequels were made on the SNES/SFC (Super Adventure Island 1 & 2 aka Takahashi Meijin no Daiboukenjima 1 & 2 (高橋名人の大冒険島1&2)). These games have nothing to do with the "Wonderboy" series and were spin-offs done by Hudson (not Westone).

Here also the Japanese equivalent for the respective titles (so far only one for FC)

Wonderboy (1st game)
Wonderboy (SMS)
Adventure Island (NES) Oversea
Takahashi Meijin no Boukenjima (高橋名人の冒険島) (FC) Japan
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

VestCunt

Very nice!

Two clarifications:
1)  It never came to the U.S., but don't forget that the 5th game was also released on the SMS as "Wonderboy in Monster World."
2)  Some SMS carts of the 2nd game read simply "Wonderboy in Monsterland" while others read "Super Wonderboy in Monsterland."  There is no difference between them.

At the risk of muddying the water once more, fans may also be interested in the following:
*Whomp 'Em (NES) - Sequel to the unlicensed, Japanese clone of Wonderboy in Monsterland called Saiyuki World; an entirely new Mega Man style game.
*New Adventure Island (TG16) - another Hudson sequel/spinoff, notable because it's the closest thing to the 1st game on a NEC console.
*JJ and Jeff (TG16) - Unrelated game that plays like Adventure Island.
Topic Adjourned.

Tatsujin

It always amazes me how the PCE port of WB in monsterland aka Bikkuriman world is such true arcade port regarded to the BGs. even the color palette is so damn accurate.

Almost same thing can be said for the monsterlair port (minus some minor color changes (drops) and parallax). The redrawn grafx from the MD looks so shoddy and frowsy compared.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nat

Just for clarification: the intent of the "guide" isn't to list every single permutation of the Wonderboy games, it's simply to provide examples of some of the name changes the games underwent in various regions on various consoles, while highlighting the entries that came out on the Turbo. I'm aware (and even own) many of the other variations.

To list every single Wonderboy-related game in the initial post would make things far too confusing for those looking to get into the series, but feel free to use the thread to discuss such titles. :)

Quote from: Tatsujin on 02/08/2011, 11:23 PMIt always amazes me how the PCE port of WB in monsterland aka Bikkuriman world is such true arcade port regarded to the BGs. even the color palette is so damn accurate.

Almost same thing can be said for the monsterlair port (minus some minor color changes (drops) and parallax). The redrawn grafx from the MD looks so shoddy and frowsy compared.
Agreed. Speaking of which, I plan to update the first post here with some screenshot comparisons of the games across different platforms as I have time.

What I find interesting in the comparisons I posted of the first game, is that the graphics of the NES port are actually much closer to the arcade original than the Master System graphics. Granted, the SMS graphics are colored better, but they appear re-drawn for the most part. Only the sprites appear redrawn in the NES port, with the background tiles taken straight & recolored.

Tatsujin

It seems that hudson ports of Wonderboy game used (could use) often the arcade pendant as a template, unlike Sega which did everything re-drawn.

This applies so far for adventure island (FC), bikkuriman world (PCE) & monster lair (PCE). also dragon's curse uses lot of exact tiles from its SMS pendant.

That is kinda strange, since sega was much closer to the rights of westone than hudson, which was more of a game thief. Nevertheless Hudson could/did use so much elements straight out of the original game, that they are far more arcade faithful than the MD ports.

Also I still wonder why hudson got the rights for a full arcade wonderboy monster lair, but not for any others of the serie? I think Meijin talked once about that.

nat

Well, they clearly had license to all the "full" games, just not the Wonderboy name in all cases. I'm pretty sure it all had to do with SEGA. SEGA owned the rights to the Wonderboy name, at least in the case of the first two games. Westone owned the games themselves. Westone licensed the games to Hudson for NES/TG-16 porting purposes. Since they couldn't actually put the "Wonderboy" label on them, they "made" them part of other franchises.

In the case of Wonderboy in Monsterland, this involved changing the artwork for a few of the bosses to tie in with the alternate franchise. Since Westone owned the license to the actual games, I'm pretty sure they could have used all the original boss artwork if they'd wanted to (all the other enemies in the game are from the SEGA/Westone original), but then the game wouldn't have tied in to the Bikkuriman franchise.

In the case of the third game, Monster Lair, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Westone owned the rights not only to the game itself, but also the name which is why it's the only WB game on the Turbo that actually has "Wonderboy" in the title.

The fourth game, Dragon's Curse, again dropped the Wonderboy marquee for the non-SEGA ports but none of the characters were changed as they were with Monsterland. This further supports the theory that Hudson and Westone would've been free to use all original boss art in the Monsterland port if they'd chosen to do so.

Long story short, I don't believe it had so much to do with the fact that they didn't have full rights to the games (I believe they did), but rather that SEGA wouldn't relinquish rights to the "Wonderboy" name in most cases and as a result select characters were changed to fit with the new IP.

Tatsujin

Thanks a lot for your facts and thoughts.

All those facts and mysteries sure make this serie one of the most interesting serie to dig around.

Joe Redifer

The SMS version was called Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, not simply "The Dragon's Trap".  The SMS version of part 2 was called Wonder Boy in Monster Land though the cartridge itself said Super Wonder Boy Super Monster Land.  The proper name of the NES version is "Hudson's Adventure Island".

guyjin

thanks for this, nat :)

chris leach

Wonderboy is one of my favorite arcade machines of all time.  I remeber there was a Wonderboy machine at the local skate arena when I was a child and I would get so good at that game on 1 quarter.  Maybe better at the game than skating, but hey...I paid to get in to the arena just as well as you did!
I like holding my gun, Cleaning my gun, and Shooting my gun!

rag-time4

I think we need more screen shot comparisons, for clarification's sake, of course!!

Joe Redifer

Don't forget my video dedicated to all things Wonderboy.

Wonder Boy and Adventure Island

meka

Wonderboy 3 The Dragon's Trap is my favourite game, played both the PCE and SMS versions, I preferred the SMS version because I played that as a kid.

jlued686

Did you guys see this?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/SVC-Monster-World/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b72

QuoteBring peace back to Monster World in these three classic action RPG titles: Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy in Monster World, and for the first time outside of Japan, Monster World IV! Now available for download on Xbox LIVE, the Monster World saga features all new achievements, challenging new trial modes, Xbox LIVE Leaderboards, and recordable and downloadable game sessions!
Says now available, but release date shows 4/25

Duo_R

I just picked up the Wonderboy collection on Xbox, and really enjoying Monster World IV.

I somehow thought that Dynastic Hero was a port of this game because of this:
[Erroneous source]
says it is a port of "Sega Mega Drive Wonderboy IV"

Was that supposed to say it is a port of Wonderboy V, Monster World III?

Correct: http://www.videogameden.com/cdrom.htm?wo5 [Dynastic Hero]

Anyways - Monster World IV has been a blast so far, on the Moon world now. Anyone else get the Wonderboy Collection? Wish it had more from the series, but really  happy I picked that one up on Xbox.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

CrackTiger

Yeah, it's officially MWIII in Japan. I think that they stopped numbering ganes by "Wonderboy" with Monster Lair. In Japan WBIII Dragon's Trap was only released as "MWII".
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Tatsujin

When and on what was WonderBoy III - Dragon's Trap released in Japan? (except adventure Island on PCE and the sega age stuff on ps2 etc.).

kiketonto

Quote from: guest on 03/14/2012, 04:16 PMDid you guys see this?
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/SVC-Monster-World/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b72
IMG
Says now available, but release date shows 4/25
Still has not arrive at XBOXLive in Spain

kazekirifx

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/27/2012, 08:04 PMWhen and on what was WonderBoy III - Dragon's Trap released in Japan? (except adventure Island on PCE and the sega age stuff on ps2 etc.).
The Game Gear version was released in Japan in 1992.
Funny thing is that both Adventure Island PCE and Wonder Boy V Monster World III were released in the same year in Japan, Adventure Island PCE being just 6 months prior. It was a hard series to follow in Japan.

Mathius

Just released interview with Ryuichi Nishizawa creator of the Wonder Boy and Monster Land series. Very interesting as he shines light on the Hudson/Westone relationship.

I won't spoil anything so read for yourself:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/interview-ryuichi-nishizawa-wonder-boy/

Duo_R

Thanks for that, great article
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

TR0N

Quote from: Mathius on 06/14/2012, 01:48 AMJust released interview with Ryuichi Nishizawa creator of the Wonder Boy and Monster Land series. Very interesting as he shines light on the Hudson/Westone relationship.

Nice read good to know the creator of the series would like to make another Wonder Boy.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

kazekirifx

Quote from: meka on 03/14/2012, 02:38 AMWonderboy 3 The Dragon's Trap is my favourite game, played both the PCE and SMS versions, I preferred the SMS version because I played that as a kid.
Oh. I missed this post.
Hell yeah. Wonderboy 3 is the most perfect game ever made. It's a shame it wasn't more widely played due to the SMS's lack of popularity in most countries.
It's no wonder it's the creator's favorite in the series!

Tatsujin

Good informativ read. thx math :)

esteban

Quote from: Mathius on 06/14/2012, 01:48 AMJust released interview with Ryuichi Nishizawa creator of the Wonder Boy and Monster Land series. Very interesting as he shines light on the Hudson/Westone relationship.

Thanks. Does anyone else want to play this?

IMG

I know I do.

meka

kazekirifx I agree Wonderboy 3 The Dragon's Trap on SMS is by far the best game I've ever played on any platform

Mathius

Quote from: meka on 07/05/2012, 04:42 PMkazekirifx I agree Wonderboy 3 The Dragon's Trap on SMS is by far the best game I've ever played on any platform
I think the Turbo version wins out because of its smoother scrolling.

Quote from: esteban on 07/05/2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks. Does anyone else want to play this?

IMG
I know I do.
I believe there is something developing now thanks to that article to get this game finished.

kazekirifx

Quote from: Mathius on 07/05/2012, 06:05 PMI think the Turbo version wins out because of its smoother scrolling.
It's technically superior (plus they fixed those broken heal potions), but you have to give the SMS version props for being the original. Reading the article also made me want to finally buy the Game Gear version.

Quote from: Mathius on 07/05/2012, 06:05 PMI believe there is something developing now thanks to that article to get this game finished.
Really?! That would be awesome.
There are so many great looking games from the 90's out there that were finished or nearly finished which were never released for whatever reason. There should be a website out there dedicated to these games and the goal of getting them released. A few Neo Geo protos have been released/unearthed in recent years. I'd love to see more of this.
...and Tengai Makyo III for PC-FX!

meka

The turbografx version may be technically superior and have smoother scrolling. but that does not make it better, it's like saying that PS3 games are better than every other game on every other console and the original  is faultless, and I don't like the alterations they made to the characters, they just don't look right.

kazekirifx

I'm thankful for the existence of the PCE version. Otherwise, few Japanese gamers would have ever experienced this gem of gaming at all.

Samurai Ghost

Quote from: meka on 07/05/2012, 04:42 PMkazekirifx I agree Wonderboy 3 The Dragon's Trap on SMS is by far the best game I've ever played on any platform
Yeah, it's really a gem! I've been playing through it this week (never had it as a kid) and am enjoying every second of it. One of the best 8-bit games period.

Fact: if it had been out on the NES instead of SMS (and PC Engine) it would be just as famous/popular as Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc.

city41

The Dragon's Trap is an incredible game. It got almost everything juuuuuuuust right. It's not too long, not too short, never gets tedious, always fresh, has clever world/level layouts, etc etc. It's just damn damn good.

meka

Kazekirfx thats good that you could play it, I don't care to think on all the 8-bit Japanese RPG's that were not translated into English because the game companies thought that they were of no interest to western countries.

Mathius

Quote from: meka on 07/05/2012, 09:48 PMThe turbografx version may be technically superior and have smoother scrolling. but that does not make it better, it's like saying that PS3 games are better than every other game on every other console and the original  is faultless, and I don't like the alterations they made to the characters, they just don't look right.
I spent so much time with the Turbo version that when I went back to play the SMS version the scrolling became really distracting. Don't get me wrong I love both still. The Turbo version gets most of the attention by me nowadays.

kazekirifx

Quote from: Samurai Ghost on 07/05/2012, 10:26 PMFact: if it had been out on the NES instead of SMS (and PC Engine) it would be just as famous/popular as Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc. 
So true.

My first experience with SMS was when I was a kid and I had an NES, and my younger brother got an SMS. I'm not proud of it now, but I made fun of the SMS because "it wasn't as good as Nintendo". My main reason was just because SMS didn't have games like Mega Man, Contra, etc. But Wonder Boy III was really the game that challenged my ideas about the system. In fact, being the older brother, I quickly commandeered the system and started playing Wonder Boy III a lot as soon as my brother borrowed it from a friend.

(P.S. I'm glad I'm on good game playing terms with my brothers now as an adult. :) )

CrackTiger

Quote from: meka on 07/05/2012, 09:48 PMThe turbografx version may be technically superior and have smoother scrolling. but that does not make it better, it's like saying that PS3 games are better than every other game on every other console and the original  is faultless, and I don't like the alterations they made to the characters, they just don't look right.
It plays better thanks to the smoother scrolling. A faithful 60fps PS3 port of an old choppy 3D game would be better as an actual game as well. Unfortunately, the original isn't faultless, as it doesn't run at 60fps and doesn't allow saving. The Turbo/PCE version runs at 60fps, supports saving, has better sound and the characters both changed and unchanged have better graphics. The rest of the graphics that people think are the same at a glance are also slightly better.

The one way that the SMS version crushes the Turbo/PCE version is the omission of the maxed charm bonus content in the Turbo/PCE version.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/07/2012, 12:19 PM
It plays better thanks to the smoother scrolling. A faithful 60fps PS3 port of an old choppy 3D game would be better as an actual game as well. Unfortunately, the original isn't faultless, as it doesn't run at 60fps and doesn't allow saving. The Turbo/PCE version runs at 60fps, supports saving, has better sound and the characters both changed and unchanged have better graphics. The rest of the graphics that people think are the same at a glance are also slightly better.

The one way that the SMS version crushes the Turbo/PCE version is the omission of the maxed charm bonus content in the Turbo/PCE version.
Yes, yes and yes.

First off: I friggin' love the SMS version (just as I love SMS Ys), but, for both games, the PCE versions are superior.

I used to think the aesthetics of the PCE version was essentially the same as the SMS game...but a few years ago, when awack started the screenshot comparison thread, I realized that a critical eye reveals all the nuances.

With Wonderboy, I can't help but feel the PCE versions are a *tad* more polished and tweaked (controls and aesthetics).

In my old age, and limited time to play, I must admit that I appreciate the ability to save my progress. Super Pitfall (NES), for example, is a time commitment if I want to beat it (as you know, there are tricky parts that I forget about...my aging brain slowly remembering the best tactics to employ, etc.)

esteban

* No, I've never beaten Super Pitfall. Well, I don't think I have. I know I dreamed about beating it...but I've come so damn close.

Back on topic: I think we should be delighted that the Wonderboy games have very nice ports /spin-offs in general.

glazball

What I'm wondering is, (in the US) why did Monster Lair and Dynastic Hero get a CD release and Dragon's Curse not?
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Kaijuboy

Quote from: glazball on 07/24/2012, 08:12 PMWhat I'm wondering is, (in the US) why did Monster Lair and Dynastic Hero get a CD release and Dragon's Curse not?
Was there ever a CD release for the PC Engine?

Mathius

Dragon's Curse would have made an interesting CD-ROM title. Cutscenes and redbook would have improved an already great game. Though I still love the chiptunes.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Kaijuboy on 07/24/2012, 09:10 PM
Quote from: glazball on 07/24/2012, 08:12 PMWhat I'm wondering is, (in the US) why did Monster Lair and Dynastic Hero get a CD release and Dragon's Curse not?
Was there ever a CD release for the PC Engine?
Nope.

kazekirifx

Oh. That would have been great. Another PCE CD game that doesn't really need to be on a CD-ROM.  :wink:

CrackTiger

The soundtrack is already perfect. A remake with new graphics and sound would have been nice for a PCE CD, if the HuCard version still existed as well, ideally also included on the CD.

meka

The SMS version had the pig smoking in the shop, I cannot believe that with Western games being censored so much that they let that in.

CrackTiger

Quote from: meka on 07/27/2012, 11:44 AMThe SMS version had the pig smoking in the shop, I cannot believe that with Western games being censored so much that they let that in.
Sega/Tonka wasn't too strict with censorship a lot of the time, probably out of laziness. They left the Medusas in Rastan and Terrarin in Miracle Warriors topless.

Joe Redifer

I can't even begin to tell you how corrupted and evil I became because I saw those things when I was young.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/27/2012, 03:56 PM
Quote from: meka on 07/27/2012, 11:44 AMThe SMS version had the pig smoking in the shop, I cannot believe that with Western games being censored so much that they let that in.
Sega/Tonka wasn't too strict with censorship a lot of the time, probably out of laziness. They left the Medusas in Rastan and Terrarin in Miracle Warriors topless.
When I think of Tonka, I think "serious multi-media publisher".

And then, "trucks".