Ys music BEST & WORST

Started by the haze, 01/19/2018, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the haze

Hey Ys Fans.

What is the favorite song from Ys book 1 & 2, and leas favorite and why?

I think boss music..  is my least favorite.
favorite I can't decide, that's a very hard one.

OldTurboBastard

Favorite: cutscene before book 2 where adol gets beamed up to Ys. Probably favorite all time game music.

Another favorite, the boss hard rocking music for the average bosses.

Worst? I'd have to replay to give a good answer...
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

xcrement5x

To Make The End of Battle is probably my favorite track of the first two games, so much going on and when you're playing it really gets you HYPED!

the haze

That cut scene music is awesome. So many great songs.. that's why I have  hard time deciding what I like the best...  It was easy to decide which i like the least.. never really liked that boss music. Titled "Holders of Power"

esteban

Jesus Cristo, I don't know what I'd put in the least favorite category...I'll have to think about it.

For my favorite track? Damn!

STATUS: I'll have to post something later. I can't decide right now (I am on lunch break at work).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Favorite?  That's like Sophie's choice except I actually care.  It's tough!

And worst?!?  Bitch, there's no worst Ys tunes, not on Turbob Ys I & II anyway.  You gotta hit up Ys III on SNES for worst.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

the haze

I am still trying to think of my favorite myself. I need to answer this and will....

Arkhan Asylum

Favorite is town music. 

least favorite is not hearing town music.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Least Favorites: Tower Of The Shadow Of Death (because overplayed af), Palace Of Solomon (same reason), To Make It To The End Of Battle (I think it's a mixing problem... the drums sound terrible and ruin the piece)
Most Favorites: Holders Of Power (dumb name but cool track), Final Battle (it helps that The Last Moment Of The Dark precedes this in-game, setting up a good emotional reaction), Palace (somber and lonely, like my life), Ruins Of Moondoria (dat solo tho)

A Still Time and Don't Go So Smoothly! are annoying but I wouldn't put them in my list of least favorites. Campanile Of Lane and Noble District Of Toal are cool but I wouldn't put them in my list of most favorites.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

seieienbu

Like, well, everyone I think?  I enjoy every track in both games. 

With that said, A First Step Towards War and Last Moment of the Dark are my favorite from the first game.  In the second, I like Noltia and Feel Blue (even if it didn't get a CD rendition on the Turbo).

Also I'm just going to ignore your request for just the first 2 games.  The best Ys song is absolutely completely obvious; it is Searing Struggle from 3.  If you don't think so then you're wrong and I'm sorry but there's likely no help for you.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

xcrement5x

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/19/2018, 07:37 PMAlso I'm just going to ignore your request for just the first 2 games.  The best Ys song is absolutely completely obvious; it is Searing Struggle from 3.  If you don't think so then you're wrong and I'm sorry but there's likely no help for you.
I'm not sure if you have heard Valestein Castle?  You may have forgot, I forgive you though.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/19/2018, 07:05 PMLeast Favorites: Tower Of The Shadow Of Death (because overplayed af), Palace Of Solomon (same reason), To Make It To The End Of Battle (I think it's a mixing problem... the drums sound terrible and ruin the piece)
Most Favorites: Holders Of Power (dumb name but cool track), Final Battle (it helps that The Last Moment Of The Dark precedes this in-game, setting up a good emotional reaction), Palace (somber and lonely, like my life), Ruins Of Moondoria (dat solo tho)

A Still Time and Don't Go So Smoothly! are annoying but I wouldn't put them in my list of least favorites. Campanile Of Lane and Noble District Of Toal are cool but I wouldn't put them in my list of most favorites.
You & I have some similar opinions of the Turbo Ys 1 & 2 soundtrack.

This version of Palace of Solomon(PC/PSP) made me appreciate the song MUCH more
https://youtu.be/4pzz7buCRyM

The Dawn of Ys version of Tower of the Shadow of Death helped me warm up the that song more, along with this version:

https://youtu.be/1EunxobcaHY

I do really like To Make the End of Battle, but this versions kills it, gives me friggin' goosebumps, especially at 1:16. Holy hell does it hit my emotions!

https://youtu.be/J5yCftqnQrE

Some of my other favorite tracks in general from the Chronicles version:

Tender People https://youtu.be/TBVgZv9H4rw

Dreaming(missing from the Turbob edition sadly) https://youtu.be/TBVgZv9H4rw

Also, his version of Termination from Ys Origin is goosebump city for me! https://youtu.be/i6yLoUNzqmQ
IMG

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 01/20/2018, 12:25 AM
Quote from: seieienbu on 01/19/2018, 07:37 PMAlso I'm just going to ignore your request for just the first 2 games.  The best Ys song is absolutely completely obvious; it is Searing Struggle from 3.  If you don't think so then you're wrong and I'm sorry but there's likely no help for you.
I'm not sure if you have heard Valestein Castle?  You may have forgot, I forgive you though.
:lol:
That's my 3rd favorite.  Second is A Premonition.
:-"

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

the haze

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 01/19/2018, 02:46 PMFavorite is town music. 

least favorite is not hearing town music.
You like the town music the best too?!  I should make you a town music only mix tape.

wildfruit

My favourites on Ys 1&2 are the first palace, the transition to book 2 and the end credits. I like the end credits because it sounds like some music from a cheesy 80s game show.
In 3 my favourite is the redmont town music. I actually prefer the mega drive version though. Can't remember much of 4 off the top of my head.

OldRover

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/20/2018, 01:35 AMAlso, his version of Termination from Ys Origin is goosebump city for me! https://youtu.be/i6yLoUNzqmQ
This sounds alright on its own but it sounds absolutely nothing like Termination until a good 3 minutes into it (long after I've already handed Darm his ass)... might as well have just given it a different name, imo...

https://youtu.be/nJQdOIAo7Tk
^^^ this one sounds way more like it...

https://youtu.be/WCpm99YNjoE
^^^ I cringe hardcore at this abomination of Holders Of Power.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

UPDATE: last night, I really
Really
Really tried to pick a favorite and a least favorite track...

It was tough....

I will resume tomorrow.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

wildfruit

Quote from: esteban on 01/20/2018, 07:15 PMUPDATE: last night, I really
Really
Really tried to pick a favorite and a least favorite track...

It was tough....

I will resume tomorrow.
Updates pls

xcrement5x

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/20/2018, 01:35 AMAlso, his version of Termination from Ys Origin is goosebump city for me! https://youtu.be/i6yLoUNzqmQ
I love this track as well, probably my favorite from the game.  I agree with Rove that it takes a long time to build but what a payoff.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2018, 12:41 PM
I love this track as well, probably my favorite from the game.  I agree with Rove that it takes a long time to build but what a payoff.
Yeah, for me, it's goosebumps for days, the violin & guitar, love it!
IMG

《J》

Quote from: The Old Rover on 01/20/2018, 04:52 PMhttps://youtu.be/WCpm99YNjoE
^^^ I cringe hardcore at this abomination of Holders Of Power.
This actually sounds faithful to the PC-88 version, unlike the PC Engine CD arrange. Ys I&II Complete is almost the best way to hear those games, though Ys Book I&II is also quite interesting in some ways.

FraGMarE

Best track: all of them.
Worst track: any track from an OST not named Ys

Seriously, you're talking about one of, if not the most epic video game soundtracks of all time and asking us to pick a worst track?  There is no worst track.  Whichever track is the shortest is the "worst" track, because it's finished the soonest, lol   XD

the haze

Quote from: fragmare on 01/23/2018, 09:30 PMBest track: all of them.
Worst track: any track from an OST not named Ys

Seriously, you're talking about one of, if not the most epic video game soundtracks of all time and asking us to pick a worst track?  There is no worst track.  Whichever track is the shortest is the "worst" track, because it's finished the soonest, lol   XD
Oh come on dude. No one loves Ys 1&2 and it's soundtracks more than me.  [-X
No one!  :lol:

I guess I shouldn't have said "worst."  :-k
I should have said "least favorite"  :wink:

This is being done for research on project I have had on the back burner for a few years.
It's time to bring it back...  :dance:

One thing they really messed up in Ys book 1 & 2, was making a few tracks in the game entirely to long for such a short section of the game.  On the flip side other areas you'll end up hearing the same track repeat until it's burned into your brain when you sleep. Not saying that's a bad thing, and I would be delighted to hear town music in my dreams.  Darm Tower on the other hand, maybe not so much.

Just sayin'   8)

Now it's time to buy yet another Ys soundtrack that I just learned about... fuck me.  :lol:

FraGMarE

favorite?  probably To Make The End Of Battle.  that music is so sick... honorable mention to Shadow Of The Tower Of Death, Last Moment Of The Dark, and Rest In Peace, though.

So good...
least fav?  ehh... maybe Devil Wind?  it's got a pretty short loop in the PCE version that they expanded in the remakes.  the guy that remade Yuzo's soundtrack could have done more with it in the PCE version, i guess.

the haze

Devil Wind?   That's hardly a song, and it's a chip tune.  :lol:
You just hear it in that one evil hall in Darm Tower....

Pick a different song. lol
Err.. Whatever...

FraGMarE

Quote from: the haze on 01/26/2018, 08:40 AMDevil Wind?   That's hardly a song, and it's a chip tune.  :lol:
You just hear it in that one evil hall in Darm Tower....

Pick a different song. lol
Err.. Whatever...
YOU GOT SOMETHIN' AGAINST CHIPTUNES, THERE, BUDDY???  HUH?  DO YA?!

Lol, jk... yea Devil Wind is a pretty short loop.  Like I said, they made it into a full song in at least one of the more recent remakes.  So is PSG music not eligible for your little survey, then?  Cause, Fountain of Love and Rest In Peace are both pretty awesome, imo

Mathius

I talked to Hazey-boy on Facebook about this already but I'll post it here too. Least favorite tracks are probably the main Field theme and Darm Tower just due to the sheer repetitiveness of hearing them over and over. I'm not up on the actual song titles but for my favorite for me nothing beats the Mines track in Ys 1 on PCE CD. I've heard the PC-88, Complete, and Chronicles versions and not one of them matches the arrangements done by the madmen at Hudson and their remixed Redbook. Every time I hear that track it takes me to a warm, party cloudy Spring evening with maybe a storm on the horizon. A lot of Turbo/PCE music does this to me, but Ys has a special power over me matched only by titans such as Dungeon Explorer.

NecroPhile

My faves are probably Tower of the Shadow of Death and Noble District of Toal.  I also like the short and jaunty shop tune.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/26/2018, 06:25 PMMy faves are probably Tower of the Shadow of Death and Noble District of Toal.  I also like the short and jaunty shop tune.
Ah this reminded me of the short but sweet Fortune Teller's tune that uses the PCE's chiptunes. I love the instrumentation and have noticed similar sounding instruments in Military Madness/Nectaris. I wonder if the same person at Hudson worked on both?

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/26/2018, 06:25 PMMy faves are probably Tower of the Shadow of Death and Noble District of Toal.  I also like the short and jaunty shop tune.
Speaking of the shop tune, I love this rendition, gives me the goosebumps & makes me smile!

https://youtu.be/ngXbpx-YHcA&list=PL044D7ABC2B744027&index=4
IMG

Joe Redifer

Haven't any of you guys picked up the 3 volume OST for Ys 4 TEH DAWNx0rZ of Ys? It has CD arrangements of your favorite shop and town tunes from Ys 1 by Ryo Yominwhathisface who did the arrangements for TurboGrafx-16 Ys 1 and 2... PC Engine CD version too (that's a different console)!

NightWolve

Heh, very much worth getting then.