OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Turbo Memoirs Trivia!

Started by PCEngineFX, 05/15/2007, 01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineFX

In the following image, what game was used in the TG-CD unit? (ANSWER in post #10)

IMG
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

BonkThis

it came from the desert :?:

Joe Redifer

No game, because otherwise it would read PC.

Anyway, the comment that listening to the TG-16 CD player while holding it being impossible is quite inaccurate.  I used it A LOT to listen to CDs while holding it in the past.  Unless you have Parkinson's Disease, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also the TG-16 CD player can read the entire content of 99-minute CDs.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/15/2007, 07:34 PMNo game, because otherwise it would read PC.

Anyway, the comment that listening to the TG-16 CD player while holding it being impossible is quite inaccurate.  I used it A LOT to listen to CDs while holding it in the past.  Unless you have Parkinson's Disease, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also the TG-16 CD player can read the entire content of 99-minute CDs.
The Turbo-CD was my first discman and the only one I used until I got a CDX.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

ParanoiaDragon

I know it's Cosmic Fantasy 2.  Unless it's a PC Engine game, which there are a few that have that many tracks.  Otherwise, it's Cosmic Fantasy 2 :D
IMG

Joe Redifer

It could be a real CD.  Who says it has to be a game?

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/15/2007, 09:02 PMIt could be a real CD.  Who says it has to be a game?
Quote from: Aaron NantoIn the following image, what game was used in the TG-CD unit?
However this might not be limited to Turbo games! Perhaps it's just playing redbook from another game of a CD system, like Sega CD. Sewer Shark perhaps?

I think PD is probably right about CF2.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

Sewer Shark would have 2 tracks at the most since FMV titles did not use redbook audio.

Keranu

Incorrect. Sewer Shark has infinite tracks.

Well it's a guess  :mrgreen: .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

Actually I think you may be right!  I've never owned the game, but from what I recall they used a special CD technology from the future which STILL hasn't been invented to provide the better-than-high-definition-video that the game had as well as all of the great CD quality music.  The game had as many tracks as the user wanted... infinite!  The reason for making this game and ONLY this game like this was simply "because it's Sewer Shark".

PCEngineFX

ANSWER TO POST #1: The game is Cosmic Fantasy 2! (ParanoiaDragon uhhh.....wins!)

I exaggerated a little on the comment, but try just lightly tapping the CD unit while holding it and it will skip (just tried it on a audio CD.)  I'll change the text to say "...made listening while holding the unit almost impossible."
IMG
IMG

PCEngineFX

Trivia question #2 - In the following image, what piece of hardware is being displayed behind the text? (ANSWER in post #18)

pcenginefx.com/TM/main_welcome.jpg
IMG
IMG

nat

Easy.

That's the holding magnet on the underside of the CD lid on a TG-CD deck.

Keranu

Nat you just beat me to the answer!  :mrgreen: Though my guess was the Duo.
IMG

nat

I've never owned a Duo so I don't know if they have them or not... But I had to replace one (of all things) once on a TG-CD deck.

Keranu

How did that happen, if you don't mind me asking?  :-k
IMG

nat

That thing is a magnet that clamps against the CD spindle that spins when the lid is shut.

The magnet is supposed to spin freely with the spindle and CD. It holds the CD down and keeps it from flying off the spindle, since the TG-CD deck employs the ultra-lame type of spindle that doesn't hold CDs in place with little ball bearings.

For whatever reason (heat?) the plastic ring holding the magnet on one of my deck's got warped and wouldn't allow the CD the spin up. I thought up until I took it apart that my drive had simply gone bad.

Joe Redifer

You are both wrong.  It is the underside holding magnet of the Duo-R.  Actually do those even have the holding magnets?

Anyway you can't do much that is portable with the TG-16 CD since it must be plugged into the wall at all times.  I usually listened to it laying in bed with the unit resting on my chest or stomach.  When my TG-16 CD "forgets" to load in parts of some games (happens randomly and is fairly rare), I just tap it lightly, it skips, and reseeks.  The game resumes loading.  Jogging with the CD unit is right out!

PCEngineFX

ANSWER TO POST #11: The piece of hardware in the image is from the underside of the TG-CD! (nat wins!)
IMG
IMG

esteban

I missed the trivia games! Don't stop... ;)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

offsidewing

I've got one.

How many Turbo Points did it take to get a free CD game?

nat

Keranu

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/24/2007, 10:39 AMI've got one.

How many Turbo Points did it take to get a free CD game?
Hahaha! Actually that is a good question though. Has anyone ever redeemed anything with their Turbo Points before? I know we talked a little about this in the past.
IMG

PCEngineFX

According to the T2 Flyer, you can get 2 "TTi Cartridge Classics" for 150 points.  A TurboExpress was 400 points, TurboDuo for 1000, NeoGeo for 2000 and a LaserActive for 3000.
IMG
IMG

offsidewing

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 05/24/2007, 05:02 PMAccording to the T2 Flyer, you can get 2 "TTi Cartridge Classics" for 150 points.  A TurboExpress was 400 points, TurboDuo for 1000, NeoGeo for 2000 and a LaserActive for 3000.
Nice, after I bought 80 games (of which maybe 30 had point stickers) I could get a free Turbo Express!!

nat

did anyone actually ever do that?

esteban

I've heard folks say that the Turbo Club never truly came into existence because TTi was struggling / on the verge of closing its doors.

In other words: no one had a chance to trade in points before it was all over...

Keranu

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 05/24/2007, 05:02 PMAccording to the T2 Flyer, you can get 2 "TTi Cartridge Classics" for 150 points.  A TurboExpress was 400 points, TurboDuo for 1000, NeoGeo for 2000 and a LaserActive for 3000.
Thanks for the info, that's very interesting that you could get a Neo Geo and a LaserActive with your Turbo Points!
IMG

nat

Quote from: stevek666 on 05/24/2007, 11:02 PMIn other words: no one had a chance to trade in points before it was all over...
Oh.

I thought it was simply that it was impossible to spend enough money to collect enough points to buy anything unless your name was Bill Gates.

esteban

In an effort to be totally lame, I will do the following:

QuoteI have always been curious about TTi's T² Team Club, in which you redeem points (and receipts!) from DUO Software for items from a special merchandise catalog.  What kind of merchandise?  Well, in addition to the typical goodies, you could get a Pioneer LaserActive (laserdisc multimedia / game system) or SNK's NEO GEO!  Goodness, how many points would you have to save up to earn those prizes?  If I recall correctly, most DUO software titles were worth "5 Turbo Points"... to help out, though, TTi were kind enough to give you "10 Kick Start points" just for enrolling in the T² Team Club.  How sweet life was. Please, please, please contact us if you have any additional information on the  T² Team Club (i.e. the membership card, the catalog, personal anecdotes about redeeming items, etc.).
DuoWorld #3

UPDATE: Since the links are broken on that page, I took pity on you:

TTi's T² Team Club, full-page advertisement

Now, I have received a handful of emails over the years... and most folks have told me that were never able to redeem points (or even obtain a membership card)... do you folks have anything to corroborate / counter this? I'd love to hear from you... :)

PCEngineFX

Yah I got something from it....will take photo...
IMG
IMG

esteban

Quote from: Pcenginefx on 05/25/2007, 02:08 AMYah I got something from it....will take photo...
Aha! I suspect the membership card, but I'm stoked! :)