10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Jungle Bros: lord_cack's pet project! :)

Started by OldRover, 04/16/2011, 03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

We've mentioned this briefly in the shoutbox before but never made any threads about it, so I figured it was high time we start up something official here. :)

Jungle Bros is a platformer/adventure game designed and led by lord_cack of Frozen Utopia. The gameplay seems to be kind of a cross between Super Mario and Pitfall with a heavy marinade of Indiana Jones lore. :) I'll let him fill in any details he wants to reveal, but for the meantime, I can at least show off some screenies... just one for now, as we're just starting the new engine...

nodtveidt.net/jb-09-211.png

More will come later... this shot doesn't even have the HUD yet, which will likely be added today.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

ParanoiaDragon

I usually phrase it as being a cross between SMB & Castlevania, with some indy thrown in :D
IMG

Keranu

I think players will find hints of influence from a number of popular games :) .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

spenoza

The main character's face and posture make him look a little Metal Slug-ish (not sluggish). I can imagine him with a panting, back-shifting idle animation much like Marco or Tarma.

ParanoiaDragon

Metal Slug is one of the influences for this game besides Mario, Castlevania, & Indy.
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 04/17/2011, 01:58 AMI can imagine him with a panting, back-shifting idle animation much like Marco or Tarma.
lol you're spot on correct! :D
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

_Paul

OldRover

Yeah, lc loves his spiral art. :lol:

nodtveidt.net/jb-09-220.png

I've been starting on the HUD... so far so good. :)

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 04/16/2011, 11:17 PMnodtveidt.net/jb-09-215.png, jb-09-216.png, jb-09-217.png
Lovely! :)

I want to see some Pang! action in Jungle Bros., even if it is relegated to a bonus game or a mini-boss.

I'm serious, of course.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

hoobs88

Is it gonna be 2 players like the title suggests (Bros.)?
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

OldRover

Yeah, it's a two player game, though I don't know yet how lc has designed the two player element.

Senshi

Will the character utilize a whip for killing enemies, grappling certain points a al Indiana Jones?
PSN: Dynastic_Hero
Steam: Dynastic_Hero

lord_cack

When the Demo is ready I will be releasing a statement. Till then somethings will just go unanswered.

I will say the game is two players, Super Mario Bros. style, Back and forth play for the Normal Game BUT.... wait... I ll talk more about that later.....

Im really excited about this game finally coming out into the public view. I have been working on it since January 2007. I really do hope you all are as excited as I am.

Quote from: Senshi on 04/17/2011, 02:10 PMWill the character utilize a whip for killing enemies, grappling certain points a al Indiana Jones?
Yes
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

Mathius

I am officially excited as of now! Is this being developed with a certain NEC/Hudson produced machine in mind to play on?

esteban

Quote from: lord_cack on 04/17/2011, 02:30 PMTill then some things will just go unanswered.
I guess the homage to Pang! (bonus stage and boss) is going to be a surprise. That's OK, I can wait. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

This is a System 3 game so it needs a Duo or an original CD system with the System 3 or arcade card. :)

nodtveidt.net/jb-09-221.png

grahf

That looks pretty damn awesome. More pics!

Are the tilesets finalized?

OldRover

I think so... we had problems with the first tileset having way too many uniques, so he made this second tileset which fits nicely into VRAM without any fuss. :)

NecroPhile

Looking neato, guys.  Any game with giant snails (more spirals!) is tops in my book.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Mathius

Quote from: OldRover on 04/19/2011, 03:09 AMThis is a System 3 game so it needs a Duo or an original CD system with the System 3 or arcade card. :)

nodtveidt.net/jb-09-221.png
:dance: :dance: :dance:

jlued686

I'll buy this the moment it's available. Nice work!

incrediblehark

looks amazing! I am always excited for new pce games ;)

OldRover

We're preparing a demo release for this game at this very moment. :) No timeframe on how much longer it will take though... the game engine has to be at about 75% completion before a demo can be released and right now it's at about 55%.

Mishran

Looking great! Another cool game to look forward to.

Windy

Lookin Great Guys Hope to see it in the future :)
Proud Member of the F@CK Ebay Club
MONSTER HUNTER TRI FC: W272XV

OldRover

New gameplay video... since I can't find the other thread for this game.

Mathius

Quote from: OldRover on 02/29/2012, 01:14 AMNew gameplay video... since I can't find the other thread for this game.
Nice!!!

...What's with those clouds??? They kinda look like, um, well my girlfriend would be all over them after having a beer or four.

OldRover

Quote from: Mathius on 02/29/2012, 01:32 AM...What's with those clouds??? They kinda look like, um, well my girlfriend would be all over them after having a beer or four.
...I'm afraid I don't quite get the reference...

Mathius

Quote from: OldRover on 02/29/2012, 01:38 AM
Quote from: Mathius on 02/29/2012, 01:32 AM...What's with those clouds??? They kinda look like, um, well my girlfriend would be all over them after having a beer or four.
...I'm afraid I don't quite get the reference...
It's my over-imagination at work, as usual. First thing that struck me was they looked like a certain male appendage.

Nice use of parallax though. I can't wait! :D

ParanoiaDragon

....I know what you're seeing, but.... I just don't see it! :lol:
IMG

Mathius

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/29/2012, 02:41 AM....I know what you're seeing, but.... I just don't see it! :lol:
It's not like I am wanting to see it. It was just the first thing that popped into my crazy brain ha ha!

touko

Wahou, this version look great, but parallaxes are not too elitist ??  :P

I never understand those programmers who want absolutely parallaxes in her games  [-(
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ParanoiaDragon

I think it's mainly me that wants paralax, though I'm sure the others do as well.  For me, it's because the PCE technically can't do paralax, with only 1 bg layer.  But, like with other systems that have this limitation(NES, C64, etc.) we find a way around it!  Basically, it's refreshing to be able to do something on the PCE, that the PCE can't do! :D  Plus it looks nice, & who knows, maybe it'll shut up the MD & SFC naysayers that rip on the PCE for not being able to do it.  :)  Either way, I consider it icing on the cake!

Edit-And hey, you got paralax in your game you're working on :D
IMG

touko

OF COURSE .And this is why my previous post was a joke  :wink:

I'am a big fan of parallaxes, all my games must have parallaxes in their scrollings (it gives them a coin op touch)  :D .

guyjin

Awesome! The clouds and bushes are really awesome.

Still a bit one-sided though. ;)

Bernie

I like how this is coming along.  :)  The scrolling clouds in the background are a nice touch too.  One question.  When he jumps up on a platform, hill, whatever.  Is he able to hold "down and jump" to jump down or does the guy have to walk over to the edge to get off?  Kinda like in Contra where you can jump down instantly to kill something.  Be a nice feature if it could be added.  :)

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

OldRover

Quote from: Bernie on 02/29/2012, 01:29 PMWhen he jumps up on a platform, hill, whatever.  Is he able to hold "down and jump" to jump down or does the guy have to walk over to the edge to get off?  Kinda like in Contra where you can jump down instantly to kill something.
Yes, and it's actually shown in at least one of the recent videos. Tiles that you can jump from under and land on top of can also be "jumped down from". I hate platformers that don't let you do this... it's so easy... all you do is set the "falling down" state and temporarily disable collision detection until the sprite clears the current tile ID. It's so ridiculously simple to do.

futureman2000

Mathius, what do you see?

IMG

Mathius

Senshi

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Mathius

lord_cack

Quote from: guest on 02/29/2012, 07:09 PM
Quote from: futureman2000 on 02/29/2012, 04:50 PMMathius, what do you see?

IMG
Nine penises! :P
Ah man, someone leaked the Jungle Bros. cover art work.... and here I thought an ink blot of 9 penises was fool proof.... oh well, we will have to take our second option  :D

ParanoiaDragon

Ah, I thought I saw a Decepticon, my bad!
IMG

Senshi

lord_cack

Mathius

Didn't mean to come off as over-critical. Really love it! I can't stop raving about that parallax! :)

TheClash603

Just noticed this video today, and the game looks like it is coming along great!

I notice in the demo there is a lot of staying in one spot in order to kill the enemies, because they take multiple hits.  Will there be an incentive to go for the kill in the final product (other than score)?  I am just thinking, I'd run right past those enemies if I were playing.