OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Jungle Bros: lord_cack's pet project! :)

Started by OldRover, 04/16/2011, 03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

Two things...

- More powerful weapons can take out enemies in fewer hits.
- Aside from score, many enemies also drop items... and since this is a "treasure hunting" game, you'll wanna collect as much stuff as possible. :)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

lord_cack

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/01/2012, 12:22 AM....I notice in the demo there is a lot of staying in one spot in order to kill the enemies, because they take multiple hits.  Will there be an incentive to go for the kill in the final product (other than score)?  I am just thinking, I'd run right past those enemies if I were playing.
Quote from: OldRover on 03/01/2012, 01:44 AM....- Aside from score, many enemies also drop items... and since this is a "treasure hunting" game, you'll wanna collect as much stuff as possible. :)
There will be loads of things to collect over the course of the levels so I am hoping part of the fun will be finding all the different things strewn throughout.

Also

Item Collection = Unlockables
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

lord_cack

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/01/2012, 12:22 AMJust noticed this video today, and the game looks like it is coming along great!

I notice in the demo there is a lot of staying in one spot in order to kill the enemies, because they take multiple hits.  Will there be an incentive to go for the kill in the final product (other than score)?  I am just thinking, I'd run right past those enemies if I were playing.
Also, is this how alot of you play games? I mean, if I were to just run past enemies why would I even play? Its like playing a shooter without shooting.... its takes the "Play" out of Playing games....

I mean don't get me wrong, I have played Super Mario Bros. a million times so yeah, sometimes I just run past things. But, this is really a differnt style game.

NecroPhile

Quote from: lord_cack on 03/01/2012, 05:59 AMItem Collection = Unlockables
Sweet!  Does any Turbob title do something like this?  The closest I can think of is Bazaru and Ane-San where you buy stuff for your room, but that's quite different (indirectly 'earning' useless stuff).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/01/2012, 10:27 AM
Quote from: lord_cack on 03/01/2012, 05:59 AMItem Collection = Unlockables
Sweet!  Does any Turbob title do something like this?  The closest I can think of is Bazaru and Ane-San where you buy stuff for your room, but that's quite different (indirectly 'earning' useless stuff).
Mysterious Song has a huge amount of unlockables earned from experiencing all aspects of the game, including item collection.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

Splash Lake has item collection as well, but they don't seem to do anything aside from being collected.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

NecroPhile

Quote from: The Old Rover on 03/02/2012, 09:55 AMSplash Lake has item collection as well, but they don't seem to do anything aside from being collected.
Don't ya have to collect 'em all to unlock the second set of 60 stages, and collect 'em all again to unlock the third set of 60 stages?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2012, 10:10 AMDon't ya have to collect 'em all to unlock the second set of 60 stages, and collect 'em all again to unlock the third set of 60 stages?
That's probably it.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/02/2012, 10:10 AM
Quote from: The Old Rover on 03/02/2012, 09:55 AMSplash Lake has item collection as well, but they don't seem to do anything aside from being collected.
Don't ya have to collect 'em all to unlock the second set of 60 stages, and collect 'em all again to unlock the third set of 60 stages?
Sounds like the doll collection of Wonderboy SMS to open up the final stage.

JJ & Jeff and and Blue Blink are platformers that require you to unlock the final areas of zones. It would be cool if you had to collect a minimal number of artifacts before completeing a stage in Jungle Bros. Just enough to give you incentive to kill enemies, not so many that it would feel tedious.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

OldRover

New demo video:
Shows off the beginning of the treasure stuff and JB's ability to crawl through tight spaces.

Arkhan Asylum

Justin Bieber!

Turbob Turbob Turbob OHHHH

bey
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 03/02/2012, 03:34 PMI love the crawl animation. :)
Thanks! I think it might need sped up more ingame. Also I envisioned the treasure chest animation to be slower, it's supposed to shake a little before opening up.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

guyjin

looks nice :)

I'm afraid I don't like the new overworld tune as much as the old one, though.

roflmao

Quote from: Mathius on 02/29/2012, 02:57 AMIt's not like I am wanting to see it. It was just the first thing that popped into my crazy brain ha ha!
I know I'm a little late to the party, but I can see what Mathius is talking about as well.  I really like the graphic style of the the clouds, but their shape is a little strange. :P  The game looks amazing, btw!

OldRover

Quote from: Keranu on 03/02/2012, 03:39 PMThanks! I think it might need sped up more ingame. Also I envisioned the treasure chest animation to be slower, it's supposed to shake a little before opening up.
The animation faster or the movement faster? I slowed his movement down on purpose, and the animation is also easily tweaked for speed. As the for chest... it does wiggle, but in the video, it moves too fast to see it. I've got it fixed here locally by implementing an animation tick counter... now it looks as intended.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guyjin on 03/02/2012, 04:22 PMlooks nice :)

I'm afraid I don't like the new overworld tune as much as the old one, though.
The old tune is actually for the cave of that area, & I'm still working on it, as I think it's one of my most monotenous songs.  It just...does the same thing over & over again, doesn't really go anywhere.  But this song was made specifically for this level with a kinda happy go lucky funky sound...might be the only one like it in the entire game, alot of the other songs are more serious IMO.  Anyhoo, I know atleast some people love it, but, I know I can't please everybody.  It's a huge soundtrack with out of diversity..funktified diversity, but diversity none the less! :)

Edit-Come to think of it, I suppose the cave theme(the one used in the overworld of the previous videos) is also kinda happy go lucky, but, not quite as much, plus it'll be a little darker & cavey sounding when I'm done tweaking it.
IMG

OldRover

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

OldRover

Another video showing the progress. Yeah I know I'm posting a lot of them :P but I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out so far.

ParanoiaDragon

Wow, I'm really liking this song for this level, it totally has the right feel IMO.  It's kind of "welcome to JB" with that happy go lucky sound.  Hopefully I'll have an updated cave tune soon, & possibly an official title screen song, though it probably won't be the finished version, as I don't think I have that much time before MGC.  Sanford will have to do for now :D
IMG

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 03/03/2012, 01:45 PMAnother video showing the progress. Yeah I know I'm posting a lot of them :P but I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out so far.
Overall, this is lovely. I can see that everyone involved is putting some extra love and polish into each component of the game (not bad, considering this is still a demo).

I like the fact that crawling is part of the play mechanics! I'm glad it is available at all times, not simply when you are near a small tunnel.

The "Game Over" + accompanying tune is a nice touch!

So far, this is delightful. I'm still waiting for screenshots/video of the mini-boss/bonus game homage to Buster Bros./Pang! that lord_cack has in store for me. I can't wait! It's been nearly a year since I graciously supplied him the concept.

IMG

(for Mathius)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Mathius

OldRover

Quote from: esteban on 03/03/2012, 10:45 PMI like the fact that crawling is part of the play mechanics! I'm glad it is available at all times, not simply when you are near a small tunnel.
I will never understand the logic of making it "only available sometimes"... it's much less work to do it the way JB does it!

esteban

Quote from: OldRover on 03/04/2012, 12:01 AM
Quote from: esteban on 03/03/2012, 10:45 PMI like the fact that crawling is part of the play mechanics! I'm glad it is available at all times, not simply when you are near a small tunnel.
I will never understand the logic of making it "only available sometimes"... it's much less work to do it the way JB does it!
I hear you. IMG I think the only reason some games limit "special moves" to specific locations is because they fear that sloppy implementation/stage design may create weird, unintended situations. For example: (1) crawling off a cliff, but not falling down, because technically 1 pixel of a Jungle Bros. is on a ledge, (2) Getting stuck in a nook or cranny (bonus if you can do this whilst falling!), (3) crawling may be exploited to breeze through segments of game intended to be challenging (enemy attack/AI are designed without crawling in mind, savvy players may use this to their advantage, but suck out some of the fun in the process.

I really love everything. I wish there were "useless" powerups in Jungle Bros. (e.g. power-ups that change JB's pants/jackets color). Last color picked up is the one worn by our hero. No need to make it any more elaborate than that. Oh, and short shorts should be available as part of his wardrobe change as well.

I'm serious. IMG

DISCLAIMER: I know you guys are well past the stage where you'd implement any of the things I mention, but I can dream. And dream I shall.

Quote from: Mathius on 03/03/2012, 10:51 PM....I see "short 'n curlys" :P
You aren't the only one, clearly. I must be juvenile, because I became obsessed with the clouds. Or, I am experiencing cloud-envy.

Either way, I need more coffee and some fresh air! IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

shubibiman

Haven't followed that thread for a while but OMFG I really like the improvements. The way the main character moves, the parallaxe, everything looks very nice so far. Keep it up dude :)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

ParanoiaDragon

Just redid the cave tune(the tune that in previous videos was being used for the overwold)...it came out REALY nice!  It sounds more cavey now, & it's quite funkaaaay.  Depending on time, I may eventually tweak the overworld tune as well, but I think it's great as is.  I do have some ideas for it, but I have somewhere around 12 more songs to make for this baby, so I don't want to hold up the game making process.  I may have time before MGC to make an early version of an official title screne tune.  But I have one track that I was in the middle of that I put on hold to tweak the cave tune I spoke about about.  So I plan on trying to finish that up, & then conjure up my idea for the Title screen.  For now, Sanford & Son is as close as we can get to my idea for how I want to handle the title screen.
IMG

OldRover

Quote from: shubibiman on 03/04/2012, 03:42 PMHaven't followed that thread for a while but OMFG I really like the improvements. The way the main character moves, the parallaxe, everything looks very nice so far. Keep it up dude :)
You ain't seen nuthin yet... just wait till the next demo video. :)

touko

Quote from: OldRover on 03/05/2012, 06:31 PMYou ain't seen nuthin yet... just wait till the next demo video. :)
:-({|=

:mrgreen:

OldRover

Quick lil update... we've been working hard on getting this sucka up to snuff and ready for public display. At this point, it is a fully functional game. There's obviously more stuff to add, but it is now completely playable. Keranu finished the "vine climb" animation and I implemented it into the game engine, complete with a proper X-correction algorithm. That was the last required detail. Now that it's fully functional, we can concentrate on bug-hunting and tweaks, and perhaps give it a bit o' polish before the show.

Mishran

With MSR out of the way, you guys are busting nuts on this game. That's great, but you guys also have lives outside of the PCE. Make sure you take time off and enjoy other aspects of life. Wine and dine your women, go fishing, go out for a beer with your buds. Won't kill us to wait a little long for the release. Get JB ready for public display, then take a break. Doctor's orders. :wink:

_Paul

Quote from: Mishran on 03/11/2012, 08:25 AMWith MSR out of the way, you guys are busting nuts on this game. That's great, but you guys also have lives outside of the PCE. Make sure you take time off and enjoy other aspects of life. Wine and dine your women, go fishing, go out for a beer with your buds. Won't kill us to wait a little long for the release. Get JB ready for public display, then take a break. Doctor's orders. :wink:
Hush. We need more OBEY now.

lord_cack

Quote from: Mishran on 03/11/2012, 08:25 AMWith MSR out of the way, you guys are busting nuts on this game. That's great, but you guys also have lives outside of the PCE. Make sure you take time off and enjoy other aspects of life. Wine and dine your women, go fishing, go out for a beer with your buds. Won't kill us to wait a little long for the release. Get JB ready for public display, then take a break. Doctor's orders. :wink:
We bust nuts now so that when you see the game you will too (and you will)   :mrgreen:

Bernie

This has most likely been asked/answered before, but am I correct to assume this is going to be an official pressed release?

lord_cack

Quote from: Bernie on 03/11/2012, 12:18 PMThis has most likely been asked/answered before, but am I correct to assume this is going to be an official pressed release? 
Yes it will be.

OldRover

Tatsujin

Lol, how do you do "speed boost!"? Code optimization?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

OldRover

Ja... I reused some of Arkhan's assembly code from Insanity to give enemy handling a major shot in the arm speed-wise.

spenoza

Will this be another CD-only release, or may there be an AbCard version somewhere down the line?

lord_cack

Quote from: OldRover on 03/11/2012, 08:49 PMJa... I reused some of Arkhan's assembly code from Insanity to give enemy handling a major shot in the arm speed-wise.
Yeah and one of those enemies.... well lets just say is a BITCH.... I designed it and It still kicks my ass and its not even a boss.... hell its not much of anything :P

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 03/11/2012, 09:51 PMWill this be another CD-only release, or may there be an AbCard version somewhere down the line?
It's definitely suited for an AbCard. Paranoia Dragon would have to learn MML though. :)

ParanoiaDragon

At this time, I can't imagine a Hucard version, only in that I do redbook audio, not chiptunes.  Someone would have to redo the enormous soundtrack in chip form.  Also, there are 2 other people that had involvement in a few of the many tunes.  That would be Odonadon, & my brother Friend-Z, so they will also be credited appropriately.
IMG

OldRover

That credit screen is just the quick one that can be seen from the demo menu. :) The full credit scroll will be a lot larger and will have everyone.

ParanoiaDragon

Ah cool, just wanted to make sure it was publicly known.  Especially incase anyone involved looks at this thread & goes, WHAT THE HELL!!!??%$#%#$#$  :D
IMG

OldRover

As with MSR, there's way more people involved than just the core team... many other people have already contributed, and many more will contribute in the future. This one pic also doesn't take into account our future beta testers, lc's "thank you" list, or anything else.

touko

Quote from: OldRover on 03/12/2012, 01:23 AMThat credit screen is just the quick one that can be seen from the demo menu. :) The full credit scroll will be a lot larger and will have everyone.
Aaaah this is not a bad idea ..
Credits are an indivisible part of games, and it's nice to see how others developers see it .

OldRover

We've been testing this a lot and it seems as if right out of the starting gate, the game is quite challenging. The main challenge is the lil bastard known as "Buggy"... that brat likes to hang out on cliff edges and knock you into bottomless pits. He will easily become the most hated of all the game's enemies.

nodtveidt.net/buggy-attack.gif

Yeah you, ya lil pain in the ass... :lol:

spenoza

Quote from: The Old Rover on 03/12/2012, 01:15 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/11/2012, 09:51 PMWill this be another CD-only release, or may there be an AbCard version somewhere down the line?
It's definitely suited for an AbCard. Paranoia Dragon would have to learn MML though. :)
The way Arkhan talks up MML, you'd think many audio tools would allow export to MML, meaning it would be mostly about selecting proper waveforms and envelopes for the various instruments, and making sure the composition fits into the sound channels available.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 03/12/2012, 04:08 PMThe way Arkhan talks up MML, you'd think many audio tools would allow export to MML, meaning it would be mostly about selecting proper waveforms and envelopes for the various instruments, and making sure the composition fits into the sound channels available.
Export to MIDI and convert that to MML.    I don't know how many times I've said that now.  That's how I do my chiptunes.  It's not some great mystery. 

MML isn't an an industry standard, so nothing bothers to deal with it anymore except for this game Mabinogi. 

MML is electronic sheet music
MIDI is also electronic sheet music (but standardized and adopted all over the place).
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

_Paul

If I can work out how to make an MML from a midi file then anyone can do it.