OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Turbo vs Genesis

Started by fsa, 04/09/2013, 12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsa

I recently modded a genesis model 2 with the cxa1645 chip to output s-video and played thunder force 2 which looked pretty good, but I recently got a few more games (altered beast, phelios and truxton). I noticed that those 3 recently acquired games did not look as good as tf2.

When playing my s-video modded turbo, almost all the games look good. I just want to know if others have experience the same as I have.
Looking for TG16 games I don't have already.

Tatsujin

what exactly does not look so good in the above mentioned games compared to TFII? contrast, contours, colors, sharpness etc?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TR0N

You made the mistake of using a model 2 a model 1 is better in picture  :P
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SignOfZeta

Yeah, always use a model 1. The earlier the better, especially for sound. Also, Model 2s are really dumb and cheap looking. :)
IMG

Tatsujin

the model 2 is ugly as a mud fence.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

PCEngineHell

The model 2 he modded for s-video was the last revision dumped on the market before the Genesis 3 hit. It has the better video chip over the model one and Xeye. It is possible he botched the mod however. When done right it surpasses everything else and can only be matched by the Genesis 3 which used the same chip s-video wise.

CrackTiger

A model 1 with the "High Definition Graphics" logo has the best, most pure sound. 95% of the time at least. A small number of them have the first hadware revision that began to affect the sound.

Model 1 and 2 systems can both look amazing with s-video when modified correctly or using the XMD3 or turning RGB output into s-video. Even composite looks great on Turbo and Genesis systems once you get a good quality source for the video.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Yeah, I have no opinion on the video of the Model 2 (I thought I remember hearing it was better?) but the sound on the "High Definition Graphics" Mk1 is...it's just flat out necessary, IMO. It's the only Genesis I'll own. The difference is sound is pretty huge.
IMG

fsa

Basically, TF2 looked sharp, bright and colourful and the others just look bland expecially altered beast (I was also expecting Truxton to look better than TF2 but was not very impressive).

fsa

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 04/09/2013, 06:56 AMThe model 2 he modded for s-video was the last revision dumped on the market before the Genesis 3 hit. It has the better video chip over the model one and Xeye. It is possible he botched the mod however. When done right it surpasses everything else and can only be matched by the Genesis 3 which used the same chip s-video wise.
The Mod is very easy to perform on the model 2 anyways, maybe I was expecting the other games to look as good as TF2. Maybe I will have to try some more games.
Quote from: TR0N on 04/09/2013, 01:25 AMYou made the mistake of using a model 2 a model 1 is better in picture  :P
Model 1 is not always the best. This model 2 has the cxa1645 chip as stated initally

CrackTiger

Quote from: fsa on 04/09/2013, 02:11 PMBasically, TF2 looked sharp, bright and colourful and the other just look bland expecially altered beast (I wa also expecting Truxton to look better than TF2 but was not very impressive).
TFII does look more shaded and has better color than Altered Beast, which is pretty bland in the stages. Truxton has duller color. Try playing something like Ristar, Dynamite Heady, Wonderboy in Monster World, SSFII, Sonics, Rocket Knight Adv, Shining Forces, Phantasy Star IV, TMNTs, Mean Bean Machine, etc.

The pixels should be sharp and colors should look pretty solid, except for red which tends to bleed. Many Genesis games were designed around being seen through blurry composite. The difference between Double Dragon in s-video and standard composite is dramatic.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

Maybe he's just noticing that Altered Beast is a bland ugly game.

Or maybe he needs to calibrate his TV.
IMG

esteban

Genesis Model 1 is the best, but it looks like a goofy toy.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Tatsujin

Model 1 looks the best, is the best!

Mathius

Quote from: guest on 04/09/2013, 12:18 PMA model 1 with the "High Definition Graphics" logo has the best, most pure sound. 95% of the time at least. A small number of them have the first hadware revision that began to affect the sound.

Model 1 and 2 systems can both look amazing with s-video when modified correctly or using the XMD3 or turning RGB output into s-video. Even composite looks great on Turbo and Genesis systems once you get a good quality source for the video.
Is there any way to tell of my HD Graphics Model 1 is the rare one with the crappy soundchip? It definitely has TMSS.

TR0N

Quote from: fsa on 04/09/2013, 02:20 PM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 04/09/2013, 06:56 AMThe model 2 he modded for s-video was the last revision dumped on the market before the Genesis 3 hit. It has the better video chip over the model one and Xeye. It is possible he botched the mod however. When done right it surpasses everything else and can only be matched by the Genesis 3 which used the same chip s-video wise.
The Mod is very easy to perform on the model 2 anyways, maybe I was expecting the other games to look as good as TF2. Maybe I will have to try some more games.
Quote from: TR0N on 04/09/2013, 01:25 AMYou made the mistake of using a model 2 a model 1 is better in picture  :P
Model 1 is not always the best. This model 2 has the cxa1645 chip as stated initally
About any time ive watch a comparison video on yt for model 1 vs 2,it seems to me the picture is more sharp on the model 1.Yes i know if the model 2 has that chip it can be modded for s-video 'but it's improvement doesn't seem much.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SNKNostalgia

Everything you need to know about which model is for you and which ones to definitely avoid.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

Mine is the VA 6 or 6.8 Model 1 which has TMSS, but there's no rainbow banding like with the earlier ones.

Stay away from the VA 7 when it comes to the Model 1. The back of the console is a dead give away.

farankoshan

I would say that it's easiest to be a collector for Genesis, than Turbo/PCE... but people on this community would probably say that the quality of games on the Turbo rival the Genesis/MD library any day.

Still it's a choice that takes into account both practicality, cost and overall preference.

*worth noting though, that although carts for MD and Genesis are easier to find (eBay is not too bad with loose Sega carts) than Hucards, if you want to move into CD-based media, the problems (& costs) arise for both.
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)