What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinjaCrackerX

Just beat Cosmic Fantasy 2 tonight, the thing that sucked though was halfway into the ending cut-scene my system goes back to the Duo start-up screen! I've only had one other issue the whole way playing. Luckily I could finish viewing it on Youtube, I enjoyed the game but it was getting pretty stale towards the end. I think I'm going to start Psychic Storm now...

turboswimbz

Quote from: NinjaCrackerX on 01/22/2013, 08:03 PMJust beat Cosmic Fantasy 2 tonight, the thing that sucked though was halfway into the ending cut-scene my system goes back to the Duo start-up screen! I've only had one other issue the whole way playing. Luckily I could finish viewing it on Youtube, I enjoyed the game but it was getting pretty stale towards the end. I think I'm going to start Psychic Storm now...
damn same thing happened to me!  the only issue I had during the game!
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NinjaCrackerX

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/22/2013, 08:10 PM
Quote from: NinjaCrackerX on 01/22/2013, 08:03 PMJust beat Cosmic Fantasy 2 tonight, the thing that sucked though was halfway into the ending cut-scene my system goes back to the Duo start-up screen! I've only had one other issue the whole way playing. Luckily I could finish viewing it on Youtube, I enjoyed the game but it was getting pretty stale towards the end. I think I'm going to start Psychic Storm now...
damn same thing happened to me!  the only issue I had during the game!
The other issue was one of the cut-scenes vocals were off-track. It's reassuring to know someone else had the same issue though, I was worried something might've been wrong with my system since the disc was pretty mint. I wish 1,3, & 4 were translated as the series seems to remind me of a poor man's Phantasy Star...

turboswimbz

yeah it's not a bad game.  a bit slow in parts.  pretty fun story though.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

roflmao

I finally got the (keith) courage to play Shape Shifter again and, luckily, it didn't wipe all my save games like last time. Holy-moly the parallax scrolling is unbelievable!  I can't believe that's coming out of a Turbografx-16!

Also, I recently received PCE Neutopia II from forum member and repair-wizard extraordinaire Keith Courage and have really been enjoying that.  I was nervous about the language barrier, but I've played so much of the first Neutopia that I haven't had that much trouble making progress.  8-direction attacking is taking some getting used to; I still normally try to attack the enemies up-down/left-right.

And I played some Blazing Lazers today.  That game never gets old.

tggodfrey

Tiger Road....1st completed game of 2013 for me.  not sure what to play next.  Maybe air zonk Hucard.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

NinjaCrackerX

Just beat Psychic Storm while 1cc'ing it. Game wasn't very hard at all since they refill your life bar and special after each round. I'm going to go back and try the other ships and 2 player mode. The music and graphics are really nice, the voice-overs are a little muffled. There were 2 regular enemies in the game that had me scratching my head how to beat them (an enemy in the water stage that sucks your ship in & a tentacle wall thing that sometimes blocks your path in the last stage). Overall I'd recommend this game especially if you're new to shmups or want a "relaxing" shmup experience!

roflmao

Quote from: NinjaCrackerX on 01/22/2013, 10:37 PMJust beat Psychic Storm while 1cc'ing it. Game wasn't very hard at all since they refill your life bar and special after each round. I'm going to go back and try the other ships and 2 player mode. The music and graphics are really nice, the voice-overs are a little muffled. There were 2 regular enemies in the game that had me scratching my head how to beat them (an enemy in the water stage that sucks your ship in & a tentacle wall thing that sometimes blocks your path in the last stage). Overall I'd recommend this game especially if you're new to shmups or want a "relaxing" shmup experience!
Thanks!  Sounds like my kind of shmup. :p

pc_kwajalein

Playing some Bomberman ATM. I wish it was like the old days where me and 3 other friends would play till the sun went down, but I'll have to enjoy it myself. And I have NO problems doing it.  :D
My past-life would've surely led to our demise, and I had left it not a moment too soon. Our escape, though dangerous, had gone well. The train ride, sunlight, and passing snow-covered pine trees came together in a flickering show of our bright, new future together. Her head rested on my shoulder as she soundly slept to the gentle rocking of the passenger car. We felt freedom. We felt peace.

Bardoly

Played some Star Parodier for the first time last night and enjoyed it, even though the 'Egyptian' stage whooped me good.

CPTRAVE

Playing Ordyne with my daughter, tuff game anyone have any hints?

Obfuscate

Quote from: NinjaCrackerX on 01/22/2013, 10:37 PMJust beat Psychic Storm while 1cc'ing it. Game wasn't very hard at all since they refill your life bar and special after each round. I'm going to go back and try the other ships and 2 player mode. The music and graphics are really nice, the voice-overs are a little muffled. There were 2 regular enemies in the game that had me scratching my head how to beat them (an enemy in the water stage that sucks your ship in & a tentacle wall thing that sometimes blocks your path in the last stage). Overall I'd recommend this game especially if you're new to shmups or want a "relaxing" shmup experience!
Funny, I just had played this and wasn't impressed. Way too easy, one of the easiest ones i've played, not much strategy, not even the bosses, average graphics, and below average music. The ship feels a little too slow for me also.

PukeSter

Quote from: CPTRAVE on 01/23/2013, 08:55 PMPlaying Ordyne with my daughter, tuff game anyone have any hints?
What level have you reached?

Alt-Nintega

playing Castlevania: Rondo of Blood. But on PSP. I don't have the Turbo CD unit yet/can't find one for good price.

NinjaCrackerX

Quote from: Bardoly on 01/23/2013, 08:19 PMPlayed some Star Parodier for the first time last night and enjoyed it, even though the 'Egyptian' stage whooped me good.
Played through the game without much trouble until I got to the boss of that stage. I gave up after a few continues to try again for another day. It's fire tail attack always got me, couldn't get away fast enough. Used Bomberman...

Quote from: Obfuscate on 01/23/2013, 09:01 PMFunny, I just had played this and wasn't impressed. Way too easy, one of the easiest ones i've played, not much strategy, not even the bosses, average graphics, and below average music. The ship feels a little too slow for me also.
I didn't say it was the best, it's far from it with the system's shmup library but I've played a lot worse. I just got done playing Cosmic Fantasy 2 beforehand so I could've possibly given it more credit then it actually deserves haha... Especially when you hear the same 3 songs and see Nes style graphics the whole time playing CS2.  :mrgreen:

exile

picked up the japanese version of Terra Forming look forward to spending time with it tomorrow

Obfuscate

Been playing Burning Angels the last few days. It's OK kinda reminds me for some reason of Override but shorter and harder. You get a life bar but you'll take some stupid hits that downgrade your weapons and that can be irritating.The special weapon makes the few truly difficult parts not bad at all.

I played Steam Hearts also recently and that is much better than this.

MrFlutterPie

I am currently being bent over the coffee table by Turrican.  Holy shit this game is hard.  It's also made harder by mapping the jump button to the D pad.  You already have a jump button why do you need an extra jump button.  You have NO recover time after getting hit and the inability to shoot up for diagonal makes it insane.

Bardoly

Played some Bomberman '93 with my kids and had fun, then I played a little Psychic Storm for the first time.  It was decent, but I ran out of time, so I'll have to get back to it another time.

esteban

Quote from: Obfuscate on 01/23/2013, 09:01 PM
Funny, I just had played this and wasn't impressed. Way too easy, one of the easiest ones i've played, not much strategy, not even the bosses, average graphics, and below average music. The ship feels a little too slow for me also.
STATUS: The music is the best part of this game (it's far too easy). I can never get enough of that "Telenet House Band" sound.

Damn you. Damn you!  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CPTRAVE

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2013, 09:08 PM
Quote from: CPTRAVE on 01/23/2013, 08:55 PMPlaying Ordyne with my daughter, tuff game anyone have any hints?
What level have you reached?
I think we have gotten to the fourth level, their are boulders or rocks bouncing up and down.

PukeSter

I was just playing Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu(pce). Great game. I'm on the final stage, and taking a break to go to Chipotle for dinner. :P

EDIT: Just got back from Chipotle and beat this game! It took me much longer to beat the 5 Dragons and the Emperor on the final stage on my other two times I beat this classic. This time, only one try! And Chipotle was delicious as always...

roflmao

Awesome, Lukester!  I have fond memories of playing Jackie Chan before I made the mistake of selling my collection.  It's one of the few titles I've yet to regain and now it's usually out of my price range when I see it.

seieienbu

How much does US Jackie Chan go for now?  I played the rom a bit and it seems like a lot of fun...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

PukeSter

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/26/2013, 04:27 AMHow much does US Jackie Chan go for now?  I played the rom a bit and it seems like a lot of fun...
Hehe. I have a loose Japan card of the game. Good luck buying a U.S. version.

VestCunt

Quote from: PukeSter on 01/25/2013, 07:19 PMI was just playing Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu(pce). Great game. I'm on the final stage, and taking a break to go to Chipotle for dinner. :P

EDIT: Just got back from Chipotle and beat this game! It took me much longer to beat the 5 Dragons and the Emperor on the final stage on my other two times I beat this classic. This time, only one try! And Chipotle was delicious as always...
New collecting strategy: 1) beat games 2) find corporate sponsors 3) buy Magical Chase
Topic Adjourned.

Bernie

I have absolutely no sentimental attachment with Jackie Chan.  If you want it roflmao, get with me.  Its complete with manual and jewel case.

Bardoly

Thanks to Obfuscate, I just got Sapphire in the mail today, and I played it some solo, and some 2-player with my 6-year-old and my 8-year-old.  Playing solo, I got to the last stage on Easy mode.  I definitely plan to play this some more in the very near future.

I have to say that Sapphire really is a good game, and I am well pleased with myself for getting an Arcade Card Duo so as to be able to play it.

Corredor X

Finally got to play Keith Courage to the end. It was the first USA game I bought to test the region mod of my PCE sometime ago, but just tried it and put it away. Although there's some notable flaws here and there, I think it's a nice game overall. Of course Legendary Axe or the first Bonk would be better choices of a pack-in game for the TG-16 at the time, but I think I would have some fun with it if I had got it from Christmas in 1989   :mrgreen:

Bardoly

Quote from: Bardoly on 01/27/2013, 12:25 AMThanks to Obfuscate, I just got Sapphire in the mail today, and I played it some solo, and some 2-player with my 6-year-old and my 8-year-old.  Playing solo, I got to the last stage on Easy mode.  I definitely plan to play this some more in the very near future.

I have to say that Sapphire really is a good game, and I am well pleased with myself for getting an Arcade Card Duo so as to be able to play it.
Well, I beat Sapphire today on Easy mode with 9 continues  :roll:  with the default blue-haired pilot.  I plan to eventually beat it with all 4 pilots.  Overall, I think that I have to give this a very solid '9' out of 10, with an extra point for being 2-player cooperative, which makes this game a '10' in my book.  I do wish that it had a couple more stages, but then again its only being 5 stages long makes it an easy game to get in and out of pretty easily.

DragonmasterDan

restarted playing Exile: Wicked Phenomenon.
--DragonmasterDan

sonikthehedgehog

I beat Last Alert and Dracula X on the same day. Last Alert seemed to drag on. I just kept wanting to get to the bosses to hear what they would say. Glad to say I played through it though. Fun game.

VestCunt

Playing some fuckin WOTES (Warriors of the Eternal Sun). God damn. The game isn't hard, but attaining the higher-level spells or buying the better armor requires hours of grinding. And I'm not talking about grinding on the dance floor, this is grind-your-face-off grinding. I haven't done this much grinding since Ultima Exodus. And then my dwarf got hit by a specter or wraith and lost two levels. For all of the liberties this game takes with the D&D rules, I couldn't believe they kept the hardcore energy drain. More grinding.

Oh shit! NOT TURBO: IMG
Topic Adjourned.

VenomMacbeth

Crankin' dat Soulja Blade.  Can't seem to get past Operation 5...
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

Bernie

Figured I would play Riot Zone this morning on my Duo.  :)

/IMG_6165.JPG
/IMG_6167.JPG

seieienbu

that's a mighty sharp picture you have there, how do you have your system connected to your monitor?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Bernie

Its my LG TV.  I use composite cables hooked to the jacks BlueBMW added to the rear of my Duo.

Nec.Game.head

Been playing in the past few days Y's Book .. I'm on the 2nd Book right now .. And after I medicate on some of Cali's finest medicinal herbs Ive been playing Parasol Stars and Rainbow Island .. lol that is all ...
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

chadti99

Just 100% finished Dracula X with both Maria and Richter.  Excellent game, Konami knew how to make them back in the day.

Now I'm playing through Ys4 again with both english patches applied.

JoshTurboTrollX

Quote from: Bernie on 01/30/2013, 01:06 PMFigured I would play Riot Zone this morning on my Duo.  :)
/IMG_6165.JPG
Fuck yea, Ts Music!!!
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Bernie

Decided to fire up the Turbo Duo this afternoon, and play some MAKAI PRINCE DORABOCCHAN aka Kid Dracula.  Pretty simple game, but it is a lot of fun.  I found I couldn't put it down, and kept pushing through.  I played through to the 3rd stage, and in that time I found a lot of different paths to take, finding different armors or power ups.  I am sure I have just scratched the surface with it.  The only complaint I have, and its not really a big complaint, is the music..  Its kinda....dull?  Maybe that's not the right word, but it wasn't what I expected.  All in all though, I would say the game is worth the buy.  :) 

http://www.pcengine.co.uk/HTML_Games/Makai_Prince_Dorabocchan.htm

geise

Yeah Bernie if it's Naxat it's going to be at least decent.  I've never played a terrible Naxat game.  Makai isn't the greatest but it's not bad either.  For how cheap it is it's worth the pick up.

Obfuscate

Quote from: Bernie on 01/30/2013, 01:06 PMFigured I would play Riot Zone this morning on my Duo.  :)
Anyone else get pissed everytime they watch the opening cinema when the one guys says to the other he's not going alone because he's going to go with and then you load up and there isn't a 2-player option! This could have been a great game with 2-player and a little less repitition.

geise

That was always my biggest gripe with the game.

CPTRAVE

Heck yeah When I first played it back in the 90's I was so upset they did not make it a 2 player game.

bob

Quote from: CPTRAVE on 02/01/2013, 05:52 PMHeck yeah When I first played it back in the 90's I was so upset they did not make it a 2 player game.
They probably did some analysis on how many duo taps were sold and decided to cut 2 player option from scope of development.

tpivette

Just finished Ys 3... even though its a huge departure from the original's gameplay (side scrolling action vs overhead RPG), I gotta say it was a really fun game. Much better than Zelda 2 (which I've seen it compared to).

Now on to Cosmic Fantasy 2!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

bob

Quote from: tpivette on 02/01/2013, 08:43 PMJust finished Ys 3... even though its a huge departure from the original's gameplay (side scrolling action vs overhead RPG), I gotta say it was a really fun game. Much better than Zelda 2 (which I've seen it compared to).

Now on to Cosmic Fantasy 2!
Y's III is great. I recently finished it myself.
CF 2 next???  GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

roflmao

I 1CC'd Star Parodier on Normal this evening.  Woo!

StarParodier-008.jpg
StarParodier-011.jpg
StarParodier-013.jpg
StarParodier-015.jpg
risemedia . org/risemedia/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/008.jpg

What a fun game!  Definitely one of my favorites for the console. 

Then I popped in Ninja Spirit and beat that too.  No pics of that since I feel like I've posted pics of that one before.

It's been a good evening. :D

wallzter

Been playing R-type on my Tg-16. Keep getting my butt whooped!!! Is it possible to beat this game without doing the extra credits trick? Has anyone here done it?