OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grolt

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/02/2015, 06:37 PM
Quote from: grolt on 08/02/2015, 06:27 PM
Quote from: wildfruit on 08/02/2015, 06:17 PMAfter completing Ys IV and Ys III I shall now attempt Ys I & II. Well after my holiday I will.
Ys II is a bit too maze-like and repetitive for my tastes, but Ys I is one of my favorite games.  Love the world, the bump-into-shit mechanics are surprisingly addicting, and the music is on another plane - and I'm speaking of the SMS version...I'm sure the CD version is the stuff of legend.  How is IV, that's one of the few Ys games I've yet to play?  Wish they'd release the remake on something other than the PS Vita...
4 is good, I enjoyed it more than 3.   If you have TG CD capability there was a fan translation done that is down right awesome.
Wasn't planning to jump into the CD scene so quickly, but that may be the tipping point.  Thanks for the heads up.  Are burned discs hard on the Duo lasers like they notably are on other CD systems?
I'm a notorious strange man.

bob

I have been inflicting self pain by playing ghost manor. Its actually pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Its very opaque. Scenery is not very obvious as to what you need to iteract with. Also there are so many characters that i was avoiding, thinking they are enemies when they actually help. It probably doesnt make life easier that i am playing on turbo express. This is my second time picking this game up to play, and I'm not very good.

esteban

Quote from: agent_orange on 08/03/2015, 08:37 PMI have been inflicting self pain by playing ghost manor. Its actually pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Its very opaque. Scenery is not very obvious as to what you need to iteract with. Also there are so many characters that i was avoiding, thinking they are enemies when they actually help. It probably doesnt make life easier that i am playing on turbo express. This is my second time picking this game up to play, and I'm not very good.
Hahahahjaha! The fact you are playing this on the TurboExpress—that is awesome.

I don't think I've tried GM on the TE.

I will have to try it.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

bob

Quote from: esteban on 08/03/2015, 09:45 PM
Quote from: agent_orange on 08/03/2015, 08:37 PMI have been inflicting self pain by playing ghost manor. Its actually pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Its very opaque. Scenery is not very obvious as to what you need to iteract with. Also there are so many characters that i was avoiding, thinking they are enemies when they actually help. It probably doesnt make life easier that i am playing on turbo express. This is my second time picking this game up to play, and I'm not very good.
Hahahahjaha! The fact you are playing this on the TurboExpress—that is awesome.

I don't think I've tried GM on the TE.

I will have to try it.
it's maddening.

Groover

I'm currently playing Dracula X. I'm trying to get 100% but I'm at 96%. I have beaten the game cleared all the alternate levels and replaced stage5 to get alternate path. Also rescued all the girls. Any ideas on what I should look for? Love love love this game.I wanted it since it was released and earlier this year that dream came true.
IMG

escarioth

i wanted to play might and magic III.... (or try)
and it looks like ill have to sacrifice all my game files to even start the game  :-k
i got 2 bank cards..but well.. they're not working... (surprise  ](*,))

surely there's a place around with someone already asking for how to repair them
(i dont want to lose my precious dracula x , valis and ys games.... noooooo  :-&)
US Hucards     :  86/94 (1 repro)
US CD-games  : 40/44 (3 repros)
total complete with boxes 54/111

munchiaz

started playing Valkyrie no densetsu last night. Fun isometric game. Currently im in the lava cave

Mas

So far I'm on bonks revenge last weekend. Was my first time buying and playing the game. I only made it to stage 2 right now. Now I have to wait till my day of on next Monday.

esteban

Quote from: Mas on 08/04/2015, 09:21 PMSo far I'm on bonks revenge last weekend. Was my first time buying and playing the game. I only made it to stage 2 right now. Now I have to wait till my day of on next Monday.
Dude, I actually envy you :)

There is so much charm and personality in the Bonk/PC Genjin series.  I wish I could play it fresh and anew.

Anyway, it is actually a very easy game, but it is a lot of fun and well-worth your time.

escarioth

i manage to get a copy of bonk 3 cd.
didnt play it yet, but i heard that bonk's revenge is still on top of this one.
i might try to play it this week-end :) i feel like playing a bonk game.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: escarioth on 08/05/2015, 09:52 AMi manage to get a copy of bonk 3 cd.
didnt play it yet, but i heard that bonk's revenge is still on top of this one.
i might try to play it this week-end :) i feel like playing a bonk game.
Bonk's Revenge definitely has the superior level design. It's my favorite of the three.
--DragonmasterDan

NecroPhile

Quote from: escarioth on 08/04/2015, 05:45 AMi got 2 bank cards..but well.. they're not working...

surely there's a place around with someone already asking for how to repair them
If it's not a simple connection problem (dirty contacts), then the batteries are probably dead and need changed.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

escarioth

Quote from: guest on 08/05/2015, 10:51 AM
Quote from: escarioth on 08/04/2015, 05:45 AMi got 2 bank cards..but well.. they're not working...

If it's not a simple connection problem (dirty contacts), then the batteries are probably dead and need changed.
yeah well... changing the battery is probably the only thing to do :/
i'll look for infos about what i must do :) later

PukeSter

Beat Bonk 3 today. Never got far in it until now because I'm not a fan of the music, however the gameplay is still pretty solid.

The background in Stage 6-2 and 6-3 is pretty mindblowing though.

Gredler

Cadash, Dungeon Explorer, and Bloody Wolf served with a side of Soldier Blade. Thanks TED!

My good friend carpools with me to and from work every day, he loves dungeon crawler RPGs, and we had some time before and after work to play some games. I handed him a PCE controller and he said wtf, and then a more amped up wtf when Cadash booted up on my TED2 in the Duo-R. We go through the first boss, and got a game over early into the second stage before we had to go to work.

Throughout the day he kept bringing up how we should hang out soon and beat that game - he was hooked.

Later that night his wife was about 30 minutes late picking him up at my house, so we booted the duo-r up. I told him we should not play Cadash because we will have a sit down to actually beat it soon. We cracked a beer as the Dungeon Explorer logo slowly faded in, slowly blowing his mind. He was so surprised that these bad ass games were around back then and he had no idea about them until that day. Again we ran through the first dungeon and died shortly into the second dungeon. A second game was added to the Co-Op queue, and we decided to switch it up again since we would be repeating gameplay if we played Cadash or Dungeon Explorer anymore, so I set him up on Bloody Wolf.

Initially he was not nearly as excited as the first two up his alley action roleplaying fantasy setting games, but once he got a weapon upgrade, things started to change. Once he was on a motercycle he enthusiastically said "oh. this is happening" He didn't make it very far into the game before his Wife arrived, but the 45 minute gaming session was memorable and I thought it was a fun story of showing someone the power of the obey :)

After he left, I played Soldier Blade for about an hour, attempting to get as far as I could. I actually ws not blown away by it, and wished I had spent my time with Blazing Lasers, as that's the game I've been actively trying to beat (alongside Kato Chan & Ken Chan) I've been trying to beat on the system.

turboswimbz

that story warms my heart.    Great game choices.  I suggest two player parasol stars as well.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

YOU KNOW GREDLER WANTED TO SNEAK IN A GAME OF

TV SPORTS Hockey.

Gredler

Quote from: turboswimbz on 08/05/2015, 07:58 PMI suggest two player parasol stars as well.
Great call, that's one of the 8 games I had growing up and I have very fond memories of it :) I should not assume he would be sugar rushed out of the enjoyment. I've tried to get my girlfriend to play it, and assumed he may not like it because my friend is more of a swords and sorcery faxanadu loving person. Same with TV Sports Hockey, his distaste for sports caused me to avoid popping that on. Also.. I am becoming shamefully aware of the framerate issues the more I play TV Sports hockey. I didn't have it as a kid, I had Ice Hockey and then NHL 93 and up, so to play a turbo game that was an amalgamation of my two favorite hockey titles blew my mind. The last time I popped it in (to compare it to Hit The Ice after being able to play thanks to the TED) I was a bit more disillusioned and critical. Still the best hockey game until EA ate the market with framerate and responsive controls.

This morning he arrived extra early to carpool, before I was ready to leave, and he played Cadash until I was ready to leave. Before we left I wanted to really blow his mind, and turned on Neutopia. Needless to say he was amazed that such a game existed between Zelda 1 and Link to the Past. It's been nice proliferating the obey to a open minded friend, but he's still a fekang nerdtindo fan loyalist.

johnnykonami

I always wondered if you could use a Ten no Koe Bank rom on an everdrive and just dump the files to the everdrive that way.  Guess it's too convenient and probably doesn't work that way at all though.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: johnnykonami on 08/06/2015, 09:18 PMI always wondered if you could use a Ten no Koe Bank rom on an everdrive and just dump the files to the everdrive that way.  Guess it's too convenient and probably doesn't work that way at all though.
I think the way the Tennokoe Bank saves is different than the way the everdrive functions. I'm sure this could be implemented in future versions of the Everdrive though.
--DragonmasterDan

johnnykonami

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 08/07/2015, 07:03 AM
Quote from: johnnykonami on 08/06/2015, 09:18 PMI always wondered if you could use a Ten no Koe Bank rom on an everdrive and just dump the files to the everdrive that way.  Guess it's too convenient and probably doesn't work that way at all though.
I think the way the Tennokoe Bank saves is different than the way the everdrive functions. I'm sure this could be implemented in future versions of the Everdrive though.
I figured.  I was just thinking about my duo memory and how it's probably toast by now since I haven't switched it on in quite some time.  I was pretty excited when they released a memory card device for the original Playstation that let you backup your saves to your PC, because not only did it save you from the limited space on the PSX memory card, but also allowed you to upload and download saves through the internet facilitating sharing which was great.  Something like that for us Turbobs would be pretty cool.

PukeSter

Beat City Hunter today. Not a hard game at all. It took a while to figure out where to go though.

There's a video walk through but I really hope someone can translate this game someday.

Mas

So today I have my day off. I'm going to play ninja spirit for a couple of hrs. Following that is me trying to pass the third level in legendary axe and go further than that.

retro junkie

Rock On arrived in my mailbox this week. It has been in my PC Engine.  :twisted:

Psycho Punch

Silent Debuggers... got to Floor 5 with only the battery room and a general storage room :(

sigh.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

airsoftmodels

absolutely love the 2 minute special versions of final soldier and soldier blade.

grolt

Alan Pross is making me his bitch right now in the championship race for Final Lap Twin. Or should I say all those dummy racers cluttering up the track are making me their bitches.

EDIT: Final Lap Twin is now my bitch.  Great game!

Bardoly

Clear #38 - Makai Prince Dorabocchan (aka 'Kid Dracula')
IMG

I give this a slightly above average '6 out of 10'.

This fairly easy platformer seems rather like an NES game.  While it is fairly colorful and fun to play through once, I doubt that I'll be playing it again anytime soon.  With no additional difficulty modes or 2-player option, there is little to draw me back to playing it again.  With unlimited continues and the ability to harvest extra lives for the boss fights, you will definitely be able to beat this game your first time playing it.

You play as 'Kid Dracula' - the son of Count Dracula, and you have to play through about 6 stages, each with a mid-boss and a stage boss.  You can attack with your short-ranged wand or with your unlimited stash of tomatoes, which are thrown a slightly further distance than the length of your wand.  You throw your tomatoes by squatting down and pushing the attack button.  While you are squatting, you are hiding under your hat, which makes you invulnerable to most enemies and their attacks.  Along the way, you can also collect extra tomatoes, up to 99, which are then rained down upon the stage boss, depleting his energy somewhat before the battle begins.  There are a few power-ups found in the game - some one once or twice in the entire game.  These include a cape which allows you to double-jump and spike shoes which allow you to cause damage to enemies by jumping on them (Normally you can jump on most enemies without causing damage to you or it.) along with a few other power-ups.

The game's lack of English is not a barrier at all to playing it. The game does have unlimited continues, but no save or password capability, so it must be beaten in one sitting. Anyway, I do recommend this game to those who enjoy platformers, even though there are better platformers in the PC Engine library.

jtucci31

I just recently played through this. I talked about it in the other clear thread, but I agree with most of what you said. I enjoyed it for what it's worth. I'd still recommend it to lost people.

Above average describes it well. More stages or powerups that actuslly made a difference would have been nice. Like certain powerups help on bosses or you can collect and switch through them. Or at the very leaat, like I said, just did more.

esteban

REAL MEN DON'T USE CONTINUES OR HARVEST LIVES IN KID DRACULA

It's like feeding quarters in a shoot-em-up or beat-em-up

:)

datbuta

I am currently playing sidearms and fighting street..

sidearms is quite addictive... i had it for PSP on the capcom collections remixed but never really played it until I got my system (thanks to keith! great stuff)

fighting street on the other hand.... oh dear... I can understand that I would want this game as a collectors item... but playing it is oh so dreadful. Ive just been practicing with ryu/ken in 2 player mode and i can't pull off special moves... makes me want to get a 6 button pad... sigh

I'll try out ninja gaiden when I get the chance! plus i got to look for my vigilante copy... its somewhere in the house... that and Street fighter 2 CE... in which i definitely need a 6button pad

good times!

Bloufo

Quote from: datbuta on 08/28/2015, 12:05 PMfighting street on the other hand.... oh dear...
What stwength! But don't fowget dew aw many guys like yoo all ova da wald!

datbuta

Quote from: Bloufo on 08/28/2015, 02:43 PM
Quote from: datbuta on 08/28/2015, 12:05 PMfighting street on the other hand.... oh dear...
try again kidahahaha

seriously the music sounds great... i have no idea what went wrong with everything else. technology of the time i guess.

esteban

Quote from: datbuta on 08/28/2015, 03:08 PM
try again kidahahaha

seriously the music sounds great... i have no idea what went wrong with everything else. technology of the time i guess.
No, SF should have had had a feasible control scheme (for special moves) and responsive controls. If I had been the project manager, it would not have shipped as-is. Even if I had to reconfigure the mechanics (and drop the "strength" variable) to simplify things...the game should have been better.

This is one of those times that improving upon the arcade version would have been great.

I played the arcade version at a local pizzeria and never thought the controls/mechanics were intuitive or responsive.

grolt

The lady and I have been pretty hooked on Dungeon Explorer of late.  Super fun game with simple and addicting gameplay that's made all the better with multiple players.  What were they thinking, though, with having to enter in a character password EVERY TIME you get a game over?  I don't understand why you couldn't just have a continue screen after the death to reduce the password entry monotony.

Psycho Punch

I'm playing Atlantean (thanks Arkhan). How in the world do you dodge the mines?
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

OldMan

QuoteHow in the world do you dodge the mines?
My tactic is to scurry towards the top, line up with the third mine, and then as they come on screen you have just enough time to get to a hole. Don't forget to run back to the third row as soon as the mine passes.

Damon Plus

Doing my annual playthrough of Neutopia. In summer, I like to bring my TG to the place I went with my parents as a kid. I never had the TG back then, but it gives me this old school warm feeling nonetheless.

pulstar

Been playing Cosmic Fantasy recently. It really is archetypal RPG-fare. Not bad though. Pretty easy for non-fluent Japanese speakers to get through as well.
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

datbuta

Quote from: esteban on 08/28/2015, 05:06 PM
Quote from: datbuta on 08/28/2015, 03:08 PM
try again kidahahaha

No, SF should have had had a feasible control scheme (for special moves) and responsive controls. If I had been the project manager, it would not have shipped as-is. Even if I had to reconfigure the mechanics (and drop the "strength" variable) to simplify things...the game should have been better.

This is one of those times that improving upon the arcade version would have been great.

I played the arcade version at a local pizzeria and never thought the controls/mechanics were intuitive or responsive.
thats true your right.. i did play the arcade version a couple times before when it was still around in arcades that are nonexistent now... it was really hard to pull of the moves... my brother said he would play cross handed so he'd use the stick with his right hand and buttons with the left... said that made it easier for him... but thats not a viable solution

schweaty

picked up a copy of jackie chan last week and been playing the crap out of it like a roundhouse to the guts.

decided to re-enact drunken master in jackie's honor so i got drunk over the weekend and played it.  didn't get far, but it was fun.

BTW - anyone who says the NES version is better is insane.  its the same game but with vastly superior visuals.

Bardoly

Clear #39 - Laser Soft Visual Collection Vol 2: Valis Visual Collection

I just got this in today, and I decided to watch this while organizing some of my games.  Here are my thoughts about this which I posted on PCE Daisakusen!

QuoteWhile it is difficult to rate this collection of all of the cinema screens from Valis II, Valis III, and Valis IV with it not being a game, I'm going to give this a '10 out of 10' since it does exactly what it should. Fans of the Valis series will enjoy this, while those who are not fans probably will not.

PukeSter

I've played this game many times in the past, but I finally beat Bonk's Revenge! I usually died on the last level.

Such an awe-inspiring mix of colors, tunes, level design and goofy characters. Stellar from beginning to end.

I got 50 smilies on the second level, so I warped past the snow stage. Hopefully this still counts hehe.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2015, 11:01 AM
Quote from: Bardoly on 08/31/2015, 09:44 PMClear #39 - Laser Soft Visual Collection Vol 2: Valis Visual Collection
Next up: elusive tennokoe bank and syscard clears!
Lol.

No, I don't feel that you'll be seeing any system cards clears from me any time soon.  I debated marking this one cleared, but since you actually have to do something - watch it for an hour or so, I decided that this non-game PC Engine product could be cleared.  There are many games which can be cleared in less time than it takes to watch this.

jtucci31

Quote from: Bardoly on 08/31/2015, 09:44 PMClear #39 - Laser Soft Visual Collection Vol 2: Valis Visual Collection
For system card clears, like say the Arcade card, what if you beat every arcade card game? Including the SCD/Arcade games. I would say doing that would maybe warrant a clear. The other system cards would require you to beat every single CD/SCD game. Then you'd have gotten the full use of the card, right? :)

Bardoly

Quote from: guest on 09/01/2015, 01:30 PM
For system card clears, like say the Arcade card, what if you beat every arcade card game? Including the SCD/Arcade games. I would say doing that would maybe warrant a clear. The other system cards would require you to beat every single CD/SCD game. Then you'd have gotten the full use of the card, right? :)
You know, that actually makes sense.  That must be why they put system card clears in there.   :mrgreen:

...Now, how to clear a Tennokoe Bank...   :-k :-k :-k

jtucci31

Quote from: Bardoly on 09/01/2015, 01:41 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/01/2015, 01:30 PM
You know, that actually makes sense.  That must be why they put system card clears in there.   :mrgreen:

...Now, how to clear a Tennokoe Bank...   :-k :-k :-k
Same as my previous answer. Play through every game that saves and save your games and transfer them onto every possible system US/JP/PAL at least once. Games must be beaten too. A bit more extensive.

EmperorIng

Is there a more boring CD game than Gotzendiener? I don't know yet.

For a game so empty, lifeless, and slow, it's amazing that the PCE-CD still struggles to display all the damn nothing on the screen and frequently slows down and jitters. Unacceptable. Once I beat this trash (if I beat this), it is immediately going into the "sell" pile.

esteban

Quote from: EmperorIng on 09/01/2015, 07:59 PMIs there a more boring CD game than Gotzendiener? I don't know yet.

For a game so empty, lifeless, and slow, it's amazing that the PCE-CD still struggles to display all the damn nothing on the screen and frequently slows down and jitters. Unacceptable. Once I beat this trash (if I beat this), it is immediately going into the "sell" pile.
You must have one of the earlier, buggier releases.

In a recent thread it was revealed that poor Gotz had multiple pressings....and yet still some bugs remained.