What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galder

Finally today I received a dungeon explorer for my Turbo Express! The game is awesome. Definitely one of my favorites despite the fact that the password in the small TE's screen is pretty much undecipherable... And the music... Geez I LOVE it... I think I was actually headbanging with it at the King's room  :-"

retro junkie

I am playing psychosis right now. I also, this week, got a copy of dungeon explorer for around $4 for my PC Engine. Just thought I would see what it was. Can't understand Japanese. It reminds me of Gauntlet. I am thinking of getting a copy for my TG 16.

esteban

Quote from: retro junkie on 12/12/2014, 09:37 PMI am playing psychosis right now. I also, this week, got a copy of dungeon explorer for around $4 for my PC Engine. Just thought I would see what it was. Can't understand Japanese. It reminds me of Gauntlet. I am thinking of getting a copy for my TG 16.
Gauntlet + ARPG-lite = better than Gauntlet! (for me, anyway).

Nothing against Gauntlet (it's great!) but I find DE to be superior. More satisfying, possibly because the added structure + bosses + exploration break the experience into a variety of activities...whereas Gauntlet can become a monotonous slog...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

retro junkie

Quote from: esteban on 12/13/2014, 12:01 PMI find DE to be superior. More satisfying, possibly because the added structure + bosses + exploration break the experience into a variety of activities...whereas Gauntlet can become a monotonous slog...
After spending some time playing DE I see what you are saying. It is more satisfying and I believe more addictive. The exploring element adds a lot to the game for me, almost a RPGish feel. This game has been added to my most played games for the system.

technozombie

In the past 2 weeks I've finished Super Castlevania 4(thank you SD2SNES) and  100%'ed C:Rondo of Blood. C:RoB is such an amazing game.

Sarumaru

cr8zykuban0

been playing a lot of monster lair. this game is bad ass. love how the first half of the stage has a bit of a run'n'gun, platformer, side scrolling feel to it and the other half is a shooter.

i might have to do a review on this! i'm really enjoying this title!

esteban

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 01/05/2015, 03:29 PMbeen playing a lot of monster lair. this game is bad ass. love how the first half of the stage has a bit of a run'n'gun, platformer, side scrolling feel to it and the other half is a shooter.

This is one of my fave games of all time.

MASTER GURU SPEAKETH:

Don't use turbo--you can adjust the missile and "spinning orb" powerups by holding the button down vs. tapping at proper frequency.

I grab every single powerup...because it is fun. ...but if a tough boss is coming up, you might be more careful and strategic. (I like the challenge of beating each boss with whatever weapon I happen to end up with).

:)

jordan_hillman

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 01/05/2015, 03:29 PMbeen playing a lot of monster lair. this game is bad ass. love how the first half of the stage has a bit of a run'n'gun, platformer, side scrolling feel to it and the other half is a shooter.

YES!!

I finally picked this up about a month or so back, and I cannot get enough either!  :mrgreen:

Quote from: esteban on 01/05/2015, 05:17 PMThis is one of my fave games of all time.

MASTER GURU SPEAKETH:

Don't use turbo--you can adjust the missile and "spinning orb" powerups by holding the button down vs. tapping at proper frequency.

I grab every single powerup...because it is fun. ...but if a tough boss is coming up, you might be more careful and strategic. (I like the challenge of beating each boss with whatever weapon I happen to end up with).

I will take this, and any other tips that I can get, because sweet lord am I having difficulty completing this one!

And BOO to using turbo switches EVER!  :lol:
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

cjameslv

I am playing one of my secret santa goodies! Shapeshifter is a good ass game!

mitsuman

My brother and his wife and kids came over. While the kids played, the four of us played bomberman, sonic spike, and then took turns playing alien crush.
Since I'm off Monday, I'm hoping to start Lords of the Rising Sun tomorrow and continue on Monday.

technozombie

I just beat Dragon's Curse. What a great game. It has nice progression. Some great music in there too. My only complaint is that it was a little short and that was with me not knowing where to go.

Groover

I'm playing Akumajou Dracula X Rondo of Blood. I finally got it. Also I just got a Duo R that is region and RGB modded. It looks great with my new xrgb mini I got for xmas.
IMG

jordan_hillman

I've been playing Forgotten Worlds.

Sweet lord is this a difficult one! It's obviously pretty comparable to Side Arms, but so far I'm definitely giving the difficulty edge to Forgotten.

Having the option for a second player to join in should definitely help though.
"Live the code, the code of the Dragon!"

Galder

Blazing Lasers that I got a couple of days ago. Awesome shoot-em-up but towards the last -it seems- stages it suddenly becomes insane. Full of flying shit everywhere in my tiny TE's screen, lol.

Sarumaru

mitsuman

I was obeying with my 5 year old the other day. After cycling through some other games (Bonk and Alien Crush) she wanted to play the dungeon one (Dungeon Explorer). She wanted to play by herself. I helped her pick a character. At first she was the witch. Then when she died, she picked the elf. Once she was the elf, she made her way into the castle and saw the king. She started to try to kill him. I told her not to do that, because she works for him. She clearly stated that she does not work for him, she works for Santa, for she is an elf!!

But watching her play, and playing a little bit for her got me back into that game. I think I will start playing it this weekend to see how far I can get before giving up all faith and quitting.

roflmao

My 6 yr old and I played through Dungeon Explorer not too long ago (using the cheat code). He loved it!

Galder

Quote from: mitsuman on 02/11/2015, 04:39 PMI was obeying with my 5 year old the other day. After cycling through some other games (Bonk and Alien Crush) she wanted to play the dungeon one (Dungeon Explorer). She wanted to play by herself. I helped her pick a character. At first she was the witch. Then when she died, she picked the elf. Once she was the elf, she made her way into the castle and saw the king. She started to try to kill him. I told her not to do that, because she works for him. She clearly stated that she does not work for him, she works for Santa, for she is an elf!!

But watching her play, and playing a little bit for her got me back into that game. I think I will start playing it this weekend to see how far I can get before giving up all faith and quitting.
Hehe, Dungeon explorer is a great game. I think it is worth every second you dedicate to it. The sad part is that it is short but you can always play it again with another character :)

esteban

Quote from: mitsuman on 02/11/2015, 04:39 PMI was obeying with my 5 year old the other day. After cycling through some other games (Bonk and Alien Crush) she wanted to play the dungeon one (Dungeon Explorer). She wanted to play by herself. I helped her pick a character. At first she was the witch. Then when she died, she picked the elf. Once she was the elf, she made her way into the castle and saw the king. She started to try to kill him. I told her not to do that, because she works for him. She clearly stated that she does not work for him, she works for Santa, for she is an elf!!

Dungeon Explorer is totally fun. Give it some more time!!!!

As others have said, you will not regret it.

Bernie

I started Dungeon Explorer the other day.  I wish it had a save feature, as I hate passwords.  But, I want to beat it before I start DE II.

TurboGrafx

Quote from: Bernie on 02/11/2015, 05:27 PMI started Dungeon Explorer the other day.  I wish it had a save feature, as I hate passwords.  But, I want to beat it before I start DE II.
You need the TurboBooster plus!

NecroPhile

Quote from: TurboGrafx on 02/11/2015, 09:34 PMYou need the TurboBooster plus!
That wouldn't make any difference with Dungeon Explorer, for it doesn't have a save feature.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

Miracle_Warrior

Quote from: blueraven on 02/12/2015, 01:12 PMNINJA RYUKENDEN.
Yes!  I was playing through this last weekend; I tend to rage quit on the last stage during most sessions.  I find the controls to be a bit tighter on the NES version, but love the PCE version visually.

TurboGrafx

Quote from: guest on 02/12/2015, 10:30 AM
Quote from: TurboGrafx on 02/11/2015, 09:34 PMYou need the TurboBooster plus!
That wouldn't make any difference with Dungeon Explorer, for it doesn't have a save feature.
Yea, you're right! I meant more with the hating passwords part.

Gredler

Still going back to TV Sports Hockey, gotta get something new to distract me lol This game is just so surprisingly fun and playable - who knew? I need to get some more controllers and get a ruckus 5 player game going

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 02/12/2015, 05:00 PMStill going back to TV Sports Hockey, gotta get something new to distract me lol This game is just so surprisingly fun and playable - who knew? I need to get some more controllers and get a ruckus 5 player game going
I had fun with Football and Hockey back in the day with 3-5 people. Basketball never seemed as much fun...but I have never been the biggest fan of basketball video games, anyway.

SmokeMonster

I got my Turbo Everdrive in and jumped right in to Bomberman, Bomberman '93, and '94 with a friend. They're the only games that I've played besides the Keith Courage that came with my system.

My first thoughts are that the TG16's composite video looks incredible and I love the sound of the system. I can't wait to dig deeper in to the library.

esteban

Quote from: SmokeMonster on 02/12/2015, 05:50 PMI got my Turbo Everdrive in and jumped right in to Bomberman, Bomberman '93, and '94 with a friend. They're the only games that I've played besides the Keith Courage that came with my system.

My first thoughts are that the TG16's composite video looks incredible and I love the sound of the system. I can't wait to dig deeper in to the library.
Hell yes. :)

retro junkie

Just recently picked up Marchen Maze. So I have been playing it in between Cyber Core & Super Star Soldier.

esteban

Quote from: retro junkie on 02/12/2015, 07:31 PMJust recently picked up Marchen Maze. So I have been playing it in between Cyber Core & Super Star Soldier.
My kind of games! They all involve __________.

kosko99

I started playing some random roms to see how the games look like, been playing Street Fighter 2 (already did in the past, but this one is such a good game I had to play it again haha) and Wonderboy in Monster land, quite difficult :S

mitsuman

Just played TV Sports Football for the first time in a long time. Got beat, but was yelling at my players when they failed on some plays.

SuperPlay

Playing Loom at the moment.  I remember vividly this game coming out in the '90s when I worked at a gaming store as it was released across multiple formats and advertising literature was everywhere. 

However I never playing it at release and have only just worked out why it is called Loom ;-)

Just completed the Standard Mode, now working my way through Expert.

bob

Quote from: SuperPlay on 02/15/2015, 04:22 AMPlaying Loom at the moment.  I remember vividly this game coming out in the '90s when I worked at a gaming store as it was released across multiple formats and advertising literature was everywhere. 

However I never playing it at release and have only just worked out why it is called Loom ;-)

Is Loom pretty short?  Talk about heavy marketing. I remeber when Loom was advertised all over gaming. Like it was the second coming of god and we were all privileged to be alive when it was released.

Galder

Quote from: galam on 02/15/2015, 08:27 AM
Quote from: SuperPlay on 02/15/2015, 04:22 AMPlaying Loom at the moment.  I remember vividly this game coming out in the '90s when I worked at a gaming store as it was released across multiple formats and advertising literature was everywhere. 

Is Loom pretty short?  Talk about heavy marketing. I remeber when Loom was advertised all over gaming. Like it was the second coming of god and we were all privileged to be alive when it was released.
Well, this game was so damn good that I can clearly see why. Definitely one of my best adventure games of all time.

bob

Quote from: Galder on 02/15/2015, 09:56 AM

Well, this game was so damn good that I can clearly see why. Definitely one of my best adventure games of all time.
But is it long?  Can it be finished in a day or two?  Or does it take some commitment?

esteban

Quote from: galam on 02/15/2015, 09:58 AM

But is it long?  Can it be finished in a day or two?  Or does it take some commitment?
Just play it! It is worth it. So, it might take you several sessions..it's all good.

bob

Quote from: esteban on 02/15/2015, 10:22 AM

Just play it! It is worth it. So, it might take you several sessions..it's all good.

I have a backlog to prioritize. Any anecdotal information helps. Im buried in 6 feet of snow, loom might be perfect to keep me sane.

esteban

Quote from: galam on 02/15/2015, 10:29 AM
Quote from: esteban on 02/15/2015, 10:22 AM

I have a backlog to prioritize. Any anecdotal information helps. Im buried in 6 feet of snow, loom might be perfect to keep me sane.
Well, I have only played PC version shortly after its release, but I remember thoroughly being immersed in the game and all the creative aspects of it. I am clueless when it comes to music, but everything can be solved/executed without too much pain.

bob

^^ thats good to know. I am musically challenged too.

clackattack

Guess ive been mostly jamming on the transd+dubd YsIV when ive got some good sit down time. Air zonk has been the go-to lately for some quick amusement/curseword abuse when time is of the essence
[If it's song and dance you want, song and dance you'll get!]

SuperPlay

Quote from: galam on 02/15/2015, 09:58 AMBut is it long?  Can it be finished in a day or two?  Or does it take some commitment?
It took me about 7 1/2 hours to play through the game twice,  once in Normal model and then in Expert.

One free tip: make a record of part tunes as you go along and take a guess as to the missing note(s) this will help later on.

blueraven

Gentlegamer

I keep plunking away at Cratermaze. Does the difficulty ever ramp up?
IMG
Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 10/25/2015, 02:35 PMGentle with games, rough with collectards.  Riders gon riiiiide.

wildfruit

Quote from: Gentlegamer on 02/18/2015, 05:45 PMI keep plunking away at Cratermaze. Does the difficulty ever ramp up?
dunno I've never got very far but love the music on that one. Very catchy.

Groover

Currently playing Dracula X. My game save got corrupted near the end and playing through it again and loving every minute of it.
IMG

blueraven

Dracula X is so much fun that a corrupted save file is actually fucking badass: you can play it over fresh! I deleted mine after the screenshot :D

IMG

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!