2 Player TG16 Console Mod

Started by cjameslv, 09/21/2014, 12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjameslv

Why not? Anyone done this before? Looked around but didn't find anything (still new to forums, may have missed it). I been thinking how cool it would be to have a 2 player console. Yes i know there is a 5 port adapter but i'm thinking built-in would look alot better.

If there's no write up on this i'll go ahead and post more pics as i proceed. I added some pics for reference displaying clearances, things that will need relocation, placements etc.

Thanks

Port placement
/Cliry4.jpg

DIN & test fit pcb
/bPAcOU.jpg

Test fit
/uggpnz.jpg

5port unsoldered
/VtqHFl.jpg

Test fit of 5port
/r9gbBE.jpg

cr8zykuban0

that's exactly what the turbo should have came with in the first place! that would be an awesome project forsure! love to see more pics from the progress!

esteban

I look forward to more pics.  :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

SephirothTNH

Great project.  I've been planning on doing something similar to my DUO when I finally get around to working on it.  My only question about it is if there are any compatibility issues with any games or peripherals when using the multitap?  If anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it.

Ayce

You may have heard this enough... Maybe not. Great idea, I will be watching the progress on this.

NecroPhile

I presume an external tap will no longer work with such a mod, seeing as you'd be daisy chaining two taps together.  Removing the ability to play five player Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer, etc. pretty much ruins the system for me.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

cjameslv

Update*

I did a pinout of the turbotap (us ver.) and of the board din connector. Wired up the turbotap. When testing the unit did not work correctly. Found this was due to the port not feeding through the turbotap. So i had to cut the traces and wire the port to the turbotap and it worked correctly. I will be wiring up the second port tonight when i get home from work and doing more testing.

Also due to the placement of the second port, i had to relocate the transistor. I lengthened the wires and will be attaching it to the top of the heatsink instead of the bottom where it used to be. there is 2 existing threaded holes on top of the heatsink so this will work nicely.

I'll update this as i proceed. Thanks!

Turbotap Pinout
/wh4aRe.jpg

Wired up TurboTap
/I12gdj.jpg

Transistor Extension
/XtP2HT.jpg

cjameslv

Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 10:50 AMI presume an external tap will no longer work with such a mod, seeing as you'd be daisy chaining two taps together.  Removing the ability to play five player Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer, etc. pretty much ruins the system for me.
Unsure about the daisy chain (has anyone tested to see if 2 of them work? i imagine you would just use the last tap in the chain and still only be able to use 5 players tho..). I don't have a need for 5 player bomberman or 5player anything. Just me and wife play on this and i'm just fine with that. If that need ever arose, i'll just use my unmodded TG16.

Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 10:54 AMI thought about doing something similar, only making a new mold for the console so all 5 ports would fit in. just wire the tap board directly to the leads for the original port, then from that board run wires out to wherever you want the 5 ports to be.

Then i realized it'd be easier to duct tape a tap to the top of the turbob.  Looks pretty slick!
Duct tape is so universal!

ishiyakazuo

Quote from: cjameslv on 09/22/2014, 11:37 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/22/2014, 10:50 AMI presume an external tap will no longer work with such a mod, seeing as you'd be daisy chaining two taps together.  Removing the ability to play five player Bomberman, Dungeon Explorer, etc. pretty much ruins the system for me.
Unsure about the daisy chain (has anyone tested to see if 2 of them work? i imagine you would just use the last tap in the chain and still only be able to use 5 players tho..). I don't have a need for 5 player bomberman or 5player anything. Just me and wife play on this and i'm just fine with that. If that need ever arose, i'll just use my unmodded TG16.
The way it seems to work is that a clock comes in and it switches ports every clock edge.  So by daisy chaining them, my current thinking is that you'd only have access to the first port of the downstream multitap, and then only once out of every 5 samples (so every button press would be like an auto-fire).  However, there is something about the multitap detecting the DIN connector shells, and skipping the unconnected controllers, but I kind of doubt that to be true, because there's no way to convey which controller's data is being sent up, generally (it resets, then polls all 5, as I understand it).

In short, it seems highly likely that there will be no way to chain an extra multitap to this.  (Maybe it'd make sense to wire up the other three to a DB25 connector somewhere, and make a breakout cable or something, for those times when Bomberman must be played?)

cjameslv

Quote from: ishiyakazuo on 09/22/2014, 02:09 PMIn short, it seems highly likely that there will be no way to chain an extra multitap to this.  (Maybe it'd make sense to wire up the other three to a DB25 connector somewhere, and make a breakout cable or something, for those times when Bomberman must be played?)
Hmm a breakout cable within a port area (possibly in the old rf spot), seems like that would be a good possibility. Since this one is for myself though, i'm just going to go with the 2 player mod and leave it there for now.

Duo_R

pics of the final install?
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

cjameslv

Quote from: Duo_R on 09/22/2014, 10:14 PMpics of the final install?
Not yet, lol i wish! I'm still finishing up a few things and still have to work on the exterior.

turbokon

You know, I've been thinking about this myself.  The tg16 has room to add the the internals from the turbo tab.  Will try this when I have some time later on.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

DeshDildo

I eagerly await the finished result.  I have been wanting to do this since I first grabbed a tap.  I have been searching for a spare for awhile to mate to a spare TG I have.  I also play to do region mod and RGB to make it the ultimate TG console.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

cjameslv

Update*

Hey guys i had some time to wire up port 2 (which is now port 1). I decided to make a fast video to show it working. Still alot to do but as time permits i do what i can!

Here's a quick video:

Things left to do:
1. Tidy up wires
2. Drill hole for new port
3. Put it all back together and post pics video etc.
**4. I will be doing an rgb to componet mod to the CD adapter later on.

cjameslv

*Update - Final ( On this particular mod anyway ;) )

Cleaned up the wiring and put it all back together. Re-soldered heat shields in place. Used a foam pad with self adhesive backing on the Turbotap pcb so it wont touch the board or heat shield. I really like how it came out and will be working on the RGB>Componet mod to the CD dock soon. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Foam Pads
/15KswT.jpg

Bare Port (Player 1)
/zVPqpt.jpg

Controller plugged in (Player 1)
/oVsobk.jpg

Top View
/dL2Vir.jpg

DeshDildo

It came out very nice.  I have plans to do the same but feature all 5 ports on the front of the console.  Very tidy and well thought out work too.  Nice job!
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

esteban

I like the orange buttons on the control pad.  :pcgs:

This is an interesting mod. I prefer using multi-taps, myself, but I love folks experimenting.

cjameslv

Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2014, 09:12 PMI like the orange buttons on the control pad.  :pcgs:

This is an interesting mod. I prefer using multi-taps, myself, but I love folks experimenting.
Thanks, the buttons are from a NES controller, turns out the buttons and rubber pads are same shape/size.

DeshDildo

Quote from: cjameslv on 09/24/2014, 09:15 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/24/2014, 09:12 PMI like the orange buttons on the control pad.  :pcgs:

Thanks, the buttons are from a NES controller, turns out the buttons and rubber pads are same shape/size.
I was going to mention the NES buttons but forgot.  It does look kind of cool.  I was surprised to find that fact when I opened up my first NEC controller.

Duo_R

Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

cjameslv

Quote from: Duo_R on 09/26/2014, 01:45 AMNicely done!
Thanks! This system is gonna be subject to a few more mods as time permits  :twisted: I'll take a break and do a simple mod and light up the logo. I like how that looks.

Psycho Punch

Punch says: try fitting the other 3 ports in the turbo, that would be the ultimate turbo mod.
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

cjameslv

Quote from: guest on 10/04/2014, 10:29 PMPunch says: try fitting the other 3 ports in the turbo, that would be the ultimate turbo mod.
Agreed that would be pretty epic but until someone makes a 3d print of a new top housing i don't see that happening due to space constrictions,(mainly from gap between pcb and and housing).

TurboXray

Quote from: ishiyakazuo on 09/22/2014, 02:09 PM
Quote from: cjameslv on 09/22/2014, 11:37 AM
The way it seems to work is that a clock comes in and it switches ports every clock edge.  So by daisy chaining them, my current thinking is that you'd only have access to the first port of the downstream multitap, and then only once out of every 5 samples (so every button press would be like an auto-fire).  However, there is something about the multitap detecting the DIN connector shells, and skipping the unconnected controllers, but I kind of doubt that to be true, because there's no way to convey which controller's data is being sent up, generally (it resets, then polls all 5, as I understand it).

In short, it seems highly likely that there will be no way to chain an extra multitap to this.  (Maybe it'd make sense to wire up the other three to a DB25 connector somewhere, and make a breakout cable or something, for those times when Bomberman must be played?)
That's what my tests showed. It (the TAP) knows what controllers are plugged in, but the system side itself doesn't know. You could build the TAP logic with some off the shelf TTL chips. If I remember correctly, it uses the clock line (for reading the upper and lower 4bits of the controller) to clock the to the next input. And if I remember correctly, either the 'reset bit' or a timeout device resets the TAP to position 1 (relative position 1, because it can detect which ports are controllers are plugged into).

ishiyakazuo

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/06/2014, 03:05 PMThat's what my tests showed. It (the TAP) knows what controllers are plugged in, but the system side itself doesn't know. You could build the TAP logic with some off the shelf TTL chips. If I remember correctly, it uses the clock line (for reading the upper and lower 4bits of the controller) to clock the to the next input. And if I remember correctly, either the 'reset bit' or a timeout device resets the TAP to position 1 (relative position 1, because it can detect which ports are controllers are plugged into).
Interesting.  Do you know that there's a timeout, or is that speculation?  I guess that a timeout would be useful for games that use only the original 2 button controller and only sample every X milliseconds and don't have support for more than 1 player.  They wouldn't care if it's a multitap or not then.

cjameslv

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/06/2014, 03:05 PMThat's what my tests showed. It (the TAP) knows what controllers are plugged in, but the system side itself doesn't know. You could build the TAP logic with some off the shelf TTL chips. If I remember correctly, it uses the clock line (for reading the upper and lower 4bits of the controller) to clock the to the next input. And if I remember correctly, either the 'reset bit' or a timeout device resets the TAP to position 1 (relative position 1, because it can detect which ports are controllers are plugged into).
If you can give me a diagram of this idea, i'll throw it on a breadboard and test it and post results. Then we could have 2 port mod that would be able to be more mainstream and not turn off those that need to play 3+ players.

ishiyakazuo

Quote from: cjameslv on 10/06/2014, 04:33 PMIf you can give me a diagram of this idea, i'll throw it on a breadboard and test it and post results. Then we could have 2 port mod that would be able to be more mainstream and not turn off those that need to play 3+ players.
I don't think that this really helps that particular use case... you still can't daisy-chain multitaps.  The software still only knows how to read from a single multitap.  My comment about it was really saying that 1-player games can be played through a multitap without needing special code to handle multitaps.  Once you start going to 2+ players, you're still stuck with the single multitap, because certain signals (such as the reset pulse) never get passed further down.

Keith Courage

Maybe use a switch to turn the 2nd controller port on or off so that way an external tap can still be used. An 8pole switch of some sort would do the trick. Then again, I wonder if there are just a couple of the signals you would have to terminate in order to switch off the internal tap for the 2nd port.

Paddyfitz18

Man that came out nice.  And I agree those NES buttons on the controller look really cool.

TurboXray

Quote from: ishiyakazuo on 10/06/2014, 03:53 PM
Interesting.  Do you know that there's a timeout, or is that speculation?  I guess that a timeout would be useful for games that use only the original 2 button controller and only sample every X milliseconds and don't have support for more than 1 player.  They wouldn't care if it's a multitap or not then.
I honestly can't remember. It's been awhile, but since controllers are only read once every vblank - and I remember a strange situation where the solution for some game's code to work, seemed that the device had to time out at some point. I can't find any of my notes, so it might as well be speculation at this point :/ I'll be testing TAP code in the near future for a game project in the works, so I'll make sure to post notes at that point.

ishiyakazuo

Quote from: TurboXray on 10/07/2014, 12:39 PMI honestly can't remember. It's been awhile, but since controllers are only read once every vblank - and I remember a strange situation where the solution for some game's code to work, seemed that the device had to time out at some point. I can't find any of my notes, so it might as well be speculation at this point :/ I'll be testing TAP code in the near future for a game project in the works, so I'll make sure to post notes at that point.
OK, cool.  Yeah, if you happen to whip up some test code that can determine what the minimum is for a timeout on a real tap, that would be very useful info.

roflmao

RRR

cr8zykuban0

just saw the update video. that shit looks clean! awesome job for sure.

this is how the turbografx should have been!!!!

cjameslv

Quote from: cr8zykuban0 on 10/20/2014, 03:56 AMjust saw the update video. that shit looks clean! awesome job for sure.

this is how the turbografx should have been!!!!
Thanks! I know its not for everyone but fuck it i like it.

paybacks3

very very very sick.... great job putting that together
IMG

grache

I would say you stole the words out of my mouth, but you posted a month ahead of me.

Coincidentally, cjameslv himself is sending me a TG16 controller, and I have more NES controllers than pairs of socks. Definitely switching the buttons out.
TurboGrafx-16 HuCard Collection: 7.3% complete    7 / 96 titles

esteban

Quote from: grache on 10/24/2014, 12:43 AM

I would say you stole the words out of my mouth, but you posted a month ahead of me.

Coincidentally, cjameslv himself is sending me a TG16 controller, and I have more NES controllers than pairs of socks. Definitely switching the buttons out.
I know you will take some nice before-and-after photos of the controllers when you swap out the buttons. Thank you.

grache

Quote from: esteban on 10/24/2014, 06:33 AMI know you will take some nice before-and-after photos of the controllers when you swap out the buttons. Thank you.
Before:
/27x01sp.jpg

After:
/2ed59g9.jpg

esteban

I like that! If only you had posted this on October 31st. !

I'm serious.

NecroPhile

Does that still have the protective plastic stuck to it?  Peel that ugly shite off there!  :mrgreen:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

grache

Quote from: esteban on 11/03/2014, 05:23 PMI like that! If only you had posted this on October 31st. !

I'm serious.
Heh, why?
Quote from: guest on 11/03/2014, 05:35 PMDoes that still have the protective plastic stuck to it?  Peel that ugly shite off there!  :mrgreen:
I hadn't notice, it looks different in the pictures than in real life. I *think* it might just be the lighting.

cjameslv

Quote from: grache on 11/03/2014, 03:25 PM
Quote from: esteban on 10/24/2014, 06:33 AMI know you will take some nice before-and-after photos of the controllers when you swap out the buttons. Thank you.
Before:
/27x01sp.jpg

After:
/2ed59g9.jpg
Awesome! Were starting a trend lol. Yeah must be the lighting because i know that controller face is dark not grey.

esteban

A: TG-16 was always Halloween-friendly. You just upped the H-factor.

SuperPlay

Great work on a great mod :-)

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: esteban on 11/04/2014, 07:36 AMA: TG-16 was always Halloween-friendly. You just upped the H-factor.
The orange and black color scheme always reminded me of Halloween.
--DragonmasterDan

grache

IMG
Someone else has good taste.

cjameslv