What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roflmao

Quote from: NinjaCrackerX on 12/15/2012, 10:59 PMStarted Cosmic Fantasy 2. Just curious if anyone here played it, I keep getting destroyed at what I guess is the first boss. Not sure if it's a grind heavy game or I'm too used to today's easy RPGs!
It's been ages since I last played through it (late 90's), but from what I recall, it was GrindFest-O-Matic 2000.  I managed to play all the way through it, though, which says something because I don't finish many RPGs. :)

turboswimbz

Quote from: NinjaCrackerX on 12/15/2012, 10:59 PMStarted Cosmic Fantasy 2. Just curious if anyone here played it, I keep getting destroyed at what I guess is the first boss. Not sure if it's a grind heavy game or I'm too used to today's easy RPGs!
Just finished it, YOU MUST GRIND like crazy in the first bit.  After the first little section grinding isn't needed.  Also learning how to use the healing magic is essential in every boss battle, they do a ton of damage.  Use the money made grinding to always increase armor first.  I can't stress enough that you'll need to stick with it, as to really appreciate the game you need to get like 3/4 of the way through the game to understand what your doing now.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NinjaCrackerX

Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/16/2012, 12:09 PM
Just finished it, YOU MUST GRIND like crazy in the first bit.  After the first little section grinding isn't needed.  Also learning how to use the healing magic is essential in every boss battle, they do a ton of damage.  Use the money made grinding to always increase armor first.  I can't stress enough that you'll need to stick with it, as to really appreciate the game you need to get like 3/4 of the way through the game to understand what your doing now.  
I tried grinding in the cave below the town a bit before triggering the village being overrun so I could heal/save etc.. When the village is overrun the boss cuts me down real quick (the regular enemies aren't so bad). It doesn't help either that the encounter rate is so high I have to fight a handful of battles in the village before I get to him! :p I'll keep at it though!! Thanks for the tips.

Firebomber7

Quote from: NinjaCrackerX on 12/16/2012, 12:38 PM
Just finished it, YOU MUST GRIND like crazy in the first bit.  After the first little section grinding isn't needed.  Also learning how to use the healing magic is essential in every boss battle, they do a ton of damage.  Use the money made grinding to always increase armor first.  I can't stress enough that you'll need to stick with it, as to really appreciate the game you need to get like 3/4 of the way through the game to understand what your doing now. 
I tried grinding in the cave below the town a bit before triggering the village being overrun so I could heal/save etc.. When the village is overrun the boss cuts me down real quick (the regular enemies aren't so bad). It doesn't help either that the encounter rate is so high I have to fight a handful of battles in the village before I get to him! :p I'll keep at it though!! Thanks for the tips.
I feel bad now. I start by trolling you about your name, and it turns out you actually OBEY it seems! Please accept my apologies for earlier.
IMG
IMG
IMG
Wants:
-region/s-video modded PC Engine Duo w/Arcade Card at www. multimods .com
-region modded Super Grafx
-region modded PC Engine original
-PC-FX w/Zenki, Zeroigar, Chip-Chan, Battle Heat, Der Langrisser FX

Will this complete me?

turboswimbz

Yeah that battle does suck...and yeah they threw the battles in town to make it hard.  try gaining a level, it might all of the sudden make the battle easy, I found this maybe twice in the game, where not being a high enough level means that it's almost impossible to win  kinda cheap, but stick with it when the story comes around this part is worth it!  the story is long and involved but excellent if you make it through.

Let me know your thoughts on this game as you go, I thought this was perhaps one of the more interesting US titles.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

esteban

Quote from: Firebomber7 on 12/16/2012, 12:54 PM
Quote from: NinjaCrackerX on 12/16/2012, 12:38 PM
I feel bad now. I start by trolling you about your name, and it turns out you actually OBEY it seems! Please accept my apologies for earlier.
Peace, love and harmony claws its way out of the bowels of pcengine-fx.com! :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

VestCunt

Quote from: DildoKKKobold on 12/15/2012, 11:03 PM... My irony meter just exploded, Mr. "I-hate-jRPGs"
Actually, that was your apples to oranges meter.

Unlike you, I'm aware of my bias. I think FFIV sucks because it's a jRPG.
You think OotG is sucks because you don't know what a D&D RPG is.

I bitched because FFIV strayed so far from the original.
You bitched because you failed in the first town and you don't know how to create characters with THAC0 low enough to hit the weakest enemies.

I intentionally trolled in Fighting Street to piss off fanboys like you.
You tried to write a fair review while mistaking conventions of the genre for flaws in the game.

Pat yourself on the back, Ace.
Topic Adjourned.

hizaygizirlz

Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/16/2012, 01:03 PMYeah that battle does suck...and yeah they threw the battles in town to make it hard.  try gaining a level, it might all of the sudden make the battle easy, I found this maybe twice in the game, where not being a high enough level means that it's almost impossible to win  kinda cheap, but stick with it when the story comes around this part is worth it!  the story is long and involved but excellent if you make it through.

Let me know your thoughts on this game as you go, I thought this was perhaps one of the more interesting US titles.
Way to frequent on the random battles in this one.  I thought the game was some what interesting story-wise, but I was glad when I finished it.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

turboswimbz

Quote from: hizaygizirlz on 12/16/2012, 02:39 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/16/2012, 01:03 PMYeah that battle does suck...and yeah they threw the battles in town to make it hard.  try gaining a level, it might all of the sudden make the battle easy, I found this maybe twice in the game, where not being a high enough level means that it's almost impossible to win  kinda cheap, but stick with it when the story comes around this part is worth it!  the story is long and involved but excellent if you make it through.

Way to freqent on the random battles in this one.  I thought the game was some what interesting story-wise, but I was glad when I fiinished it.
ah i agree there are drawn out parts and I would say it's no where near the excitement and accomplishment felt by clearing Ys Iⅈ it is kinda a phew glad that's over, but I felt like the story actually came together in the end.  maybe I was just excited I didn't waste my time on a bunch of silly little quests for no pay off what so ever.

hizaygizirlz

Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/16/2012, 02:47 PM
Quote from: hizaygizirlz on 12/16/2012, 02:39 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/16/2012, 01:03 PMYeah that battle does suck...and yeah they threw the battles in town to make it hard.  try gaining a level, it might all of the sudden make the battle easy, I found this maybe twice in the game, where not being a high enough level means that it's almost impossible to win  kinda cheap, but stick with it when the story comes around this part is worth it!  the story is long and involved but excellent if you make it through.

Way to frequent on the random battles in this one.  I thought the game was some what interesting story-wise, but I was glad when I finished it.
ah i agree there are drawn out parts and I would say it's no where near the excitement and accomplishment felt by clearing Ys Iⅈ it is kinda a phew glad that's over, but I felt like the story actually came together in the end.  maybe I was just excited I didn't waste my time on a bunch of silly little quests for no pay off what so ever.
Yeah I think if u divide the game in thirds.  It gets much more interesting after the first third.  However it was like grind, grind, grind.  Then you are untouchable for the area that you are in but still have to fight every 3 steps.  Which is aggravating b/c some of the dungeons are maze like and you can't just stop and save.

The to beat the bosses which are tough I always seemed to use the same strategy.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

VestCunt

The battle system is absolutely incredible, the best part of the game (anecdotes here). It's a real shame that Warriors of the Eternal Sun ditched it in favor of the real-time, first-person battle system from EotB in the dungeons. A taste of OotG's glory can still be had in the above-ground wilderness, but it's not enough. Out of all the SSI console ports, Pool of Radiance battles are most similar to OotG.

Thanks for the tip about picking pockets! I'll have to try that. I didn't use a thief when I played through.
Topic Adjourned.

hoobs88

Quote from: guest on 12/16/2012, 05:46 PMThanks for the tip about picking pockets! I'll have to try that. I didn't use a thief when I played through.
I never tried a party that included a Thief character but I can see where that could come in handy with the save/reset feature.
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

roflmao

Yes - save often and remember to rest after every fight so you get those precious sleeps spells back!

Another handy cheat is when you build your party at the start of the game, you can load a fighter into a slot, remove the fighter and put a magic user there.  The magic user will then be wearing chainmail armor (from the original fighter).  He'll wear it until you un-equip it for something better (though they can't equip chainmail later on). :D

wolfsaq2

Hello PCengineFXers,
I am currently playing Soldier Blade. I can make it to the fourth level, and for some reason I can not pass the end of that stage! It is a great shooter, and I regret it has taken me so long to take my hands on that gem. When and if I beat Soldier Blade...I have a Samurai Ghost that is being shipped to me. I can't wait to play that!

Wolf
"Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter" (African Proverb)

PunkCryborg

I took. my pce to families house yesterday and played bloody wolf, final zone ii, battle lode runner, and red alert with my bro in law. was a lot of fun and sure beat doing nothing like normal over there

chany60126

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/17/2012, 01:06 PMI took. my pce to families house yesterday and played bloody wolf, final zone ii, battle lode runner, and red alert with my bro in law. was a lot of fun and sure beat doing nothing like normal over there
Battle Lode Runner is a ton of fun in multiplayer battles, especially with five people. That game has become a staple of Turbo Fest. :D

esteban

Quote from: chany60126 on 12/17/2012, 01:21 PM
Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/17/2012, 01:06 PMI took. my pce to families house yesterday and played bloody wolf, final zone ii, battle lode runner, and red alert with my bro in law. was a lot of fun and sure beat doing nothing like normal over there
Battle Lode Runner is a ton of fun in multiplayer battles, especially with five people. That game has become a staple of Turbo Fest. :D
I don't think I've ever seen this much love for Battle Lode Runner! :pcds:

I, sadly, am envious of anyone who's able to have 4+ player matches in any game at this point--everyone I know is so busy and TG-16 isn't #1 priority IMG

Quote from: wolfsaq2 on 12/17/2012, 07:29 AMHello PCengineFXers,
I am currently playing Soldier Blade. I can make it to the fourth level, and for some reason I can not pass the end of that stage! It is a great shooter, and I regret it has taken me so long to take my hands on that gem. When and if I beat Soldier Blade...I have a Samurai Ghost that is being shipped to me. I can't wait to play that!
    Wolf
Everyone loves Soldier Blade--hang in there and you'll figure out how to pass Stage 4.

I personally like Samurai Ghost! Be sure to use all the different defensive/offensive moves (nice variety) to keep things interesting. :pcds:

PunkCryborg

Estaban just wait till your kids grow up a little then you can have family 4 player battle lode runner matches!

sonikthehedgehog

I've been rotating between Soldier Blade and Dracula X. Those two games make my Turbo worth it alone.

-D-

Just got Detana!! Twinbee and Daisenpu Custom recently; and my region-modded Duo that was re-capped + s-video from D-Lite yesterday; so enjoying the hell out of these 2 right now.

I guess this is a hello post too, my first on this forum.  TG-16 was a system I saw and wanted a lot back when it was released, but didn't have the means of owning; and as I got on a big retro kick these past few years I knew I'd have to re-visit everything I wanted back then but couldn't have.  Got a US system about a year ago, then bought a Duo-RX off ebay awhile back that had issues so I returned it; then turned to D-Lite to make it all right, now I feel like I can actually really get into the platform thanks to his awesome work.

roflmao

esteban

Quote from: -D- on 12/24/2012, 12:59 AMJust got Detana!! Twinbee and Daisenpu Custom recently; and my region-modded Duo that was re-capped + s-video from D-Lite yesterday; so enjoying the hell out of these 2 right now.

I guess this is a hello post too, my first on this forum.  TG-16 was a system I saw and wanted a lot back when it was released, but didn't have the means of owning; and as I got on a big retro kick these past few years I knew I'd have to re-visit everything I wanted back then but couldn't have.  Got a US system about a year ago, then bought a Duo-RX off ebay awhile back that had issues so I returned it; then turned to D-Lite to make it all right, now I feel like I can actually really get into the platform thanks to his awesome work.
Welcome, comrade. IMG

PunkCryborg

played some kyukyoku tiger last night and got to stage five then game over!

Bardoly

Welcome, -D-!

Take your shoes off and stay a while!

Gao

Been playing Final Soldier and Fantasy Zone the last few days.  Managed to get to the last boss in the latter, but man, that guy's difficult.  Any tips on dealing with that last segment it fires out?

esteban

R-Type and Alien Crush on TurboExpress. Good times.

Mishran

Was playing MSR on my CoreGrafx CD setup until the player stopped reading the disc. Opened up my Player and saw a tooth was missing on the center gear. ](*,)

Time to bring out the Duo-R.

Dammit Rover! Your game broke my system! :P :wink: :lol:

PCEngineHell

Image Fight II and Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu.

NightWolve

Quote from: -D- on 12/24/2012, 12:59 AMJust got Detana!! Twinbee and Daisenpu Custom recently; and my region-modded Duo that was re-capped + s-video from D-Lite yesterday; so enjoying the hell out of these 2 right now.
I remember that name, D-Lite, so he still does mods but doesn't post around here  ?

PunkCryborg

RoyVegas

Played some Aero Blasters last night with my step son.  He's a teen and I had fun showing him how much harder the games we played as kids are compared to the crap they play now. My favorite question that I've heard from any of my kids (I've heard it more than once) usually runs along the lines of "You can only get hit once?!?!?"  :lol:
All is well. :)

PCEngineHell

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/26/2012, 04:40 PM
I remember that name, D-Lite, so he still does mods but doesn't post around here  ?
He's existing out on the fringe somewhere after burning too many bridges. To his credit, he did try to mend things, but it all just did not work in his favor.

rsa2000

been playing jb harold murder club with the wife.....  im starting to thing this thing is unfinishable since we have visited everywhere multiple times and talked to everyone over and over...  and i just started y's book 1. not being able to swing the sword really put me off at first but its growing on me.

esteban

Quote from: rsa2000 on 12/26/2012, 06:25 PMbeen playing jb harold murder club with the wife.....  im starting to thing this thing is unfinishable since we have visited everywhere multiple times and talked to everyone over and over...  and i just started Ys book 1. not being able to swing the sword really put me off at first but its growing on me.
It totally becomes fun to run into enemies in Ys I & II. I suspect that the sound-effect of the sword is what helps make it satisfying. It's not amazing, by any means, but it is perfect (IMHO).

Anyway, when I was a kid I told my friends that Ys pioneered a sug-genre of the ARPG world: the BUMP 'N' GRIND. Yeah, I thought I was witty. Oh well. IMG

Quote from: RoyVegas on 12/26/2012, 04:58 PMPlayed some Aero Blasters last night with my step son.  He's a teen and I had fun showing him how much harder the games we played as kids are compared to the crap they play now. My favorite question that I've heard from any of my kids (I've heard it more than once) usually runs along the lines of "You can only get hit once?!?!?"  :lol:
A great game, but challenging.

I wish more games had special stuff for 2-player co-op (there is a special weapon in Aero Blasters!)...pretty kool, if you ask me.

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/26/2012, 04:44 PMBreak In!
WTF? Any good? I think I have this...BILLIARDS....

PCEngineHell

Quote from: RoyVegas on 12/26/2012, 04:58 PMPlayed some Aero Blasters last night with my step son.  He's a teen and I had fun showing him how much harder the games we played as kids are compared to the crap they play now. My favorite question that I've heard from any of my kids (I've heard it more than once) usually runs along the lines of "You can only get hit once?!?!?"  :lol:
Had a similar issue myself come up. The other night while playing some games my son said he wished games they made now were harder like Image Fight II was. He was having a go at it and was having a pretty good time.

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 12/26/2012, 06:40 PM
Quote from: rsa2000 on 12/26/2012, 06:25 PMbeen playing jb harold murder club with the wife.....  im starting to thing this thing is unfinishable since we have visited everywhere multiple times and talked to everyone over and over...  and i just started Ys book 1. not being able to swing the sword really put me off at first but its growing on me.
It totally becomes fun to run into enemies in Ys I & II. I suspect that the sound-effect of the sword is what helps make it satisfying. It's not amazing, by any means, but it is perfect (IMHO).

Anyway, when I was a kid I told my friends that Ys pioneered a sug-genre of the ARPG world: the BUMP 'N' GRIND. Yeah, I thought I was witty. Oh well. IMG
I always liked the way Steve Harris had put it in his great Ys Book I&II review on RPGFan:
QuoteWhen most Action RPGs have some kind of combat interface, Ys resorts to a sprite based Milli-Vanilli chest bash. Tactically, plotting your ramming trajectory is the key to victory,
;)

PunkCryborg

i like it, it's relaxing and i can play it while working at home. the music is rad!!!

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 12/26/2012, 09:32 PM
Quote from: rsa2000 on 12/26/2012, 06:25 PMbeen playing jb harold murder club with the wife.....  im starting to thing this thing is unfinishable since we have visited everywhere multiple times and talked to everyone over and over...  and i just started Ys book 1. not being able to swing the sword really put me off at first but its growing on me.

I always liked the way Steve Harris had put it in his great Ys Book I&II review on RPGFan:
QuoteWhen most Action RPGs have some kind of combat interface, Ys resorts to a sprite based Milli-Vanilli chest bash. Tactically, plotting your ramming trajectory is the key to victory,
;)
Milli-Vanilli! Any reference to them in a game review is mandatory :pcgs:

Quote from: PunkCryborg on 12/26/2012, 09:47 PM
i like it, it's relaxing and i can play it while working at home. the music is rad!!!
Ha! Music, of course! Go listen to the Fugazi song of the same title whilst playing the game*

UPDATE: *Damn, that is one fine, sophisticated tune. :pcgs:

NecroPhile

Quote from: rsa2000 on 12/26/2012, 06:25 PMbeen playing jb harold murder club with the wife.....  im starting to thing this thing is unfinishable since we have visited everywhere multiple times and talked to everyone over and over...
You must be missing something, as it's definitely beatable.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MrFlutterPie

I just got Klax and have been playing that.  It's a really simple fun addictive game.  I usually don't like puzzle games but this one is really good.  I remember a guy at a store telling me it was one of 2 games he owns for the system and how good it was.

NecroPhile

I thought Klax was pretty cool at first, then I got to the fifth wave or so and realized that was it and I'd seen more or less all it had to offer.  *yawn*
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

CGQuarterly

Today I'm starting Mysterious Song!

Chris

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/27/2012, 04:03 PMI thought Klax was pretty cool at first, then I got to the fifth wave or so and realized that was it and I'd seen more or less all it had to offer.  *yawn*
Don't listen to NecroPhile, Mr. Flutterpie. Klax has some longevity.

For some folks, anyway.

:pcgs:

CGQuarterly

I like Klax.  Much like most puzzle games, it's pretty much the same deal the whole way though, except that the difficulty ramps up as you go.

Someone should make a real-life Klax machine.

Chris

esteban

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 12/27/2012, 09:04 PMSomeone should make a real-life Klax machine.
Ha! That would be awesome...

rrob78

Played some R-type and Alien Crush last night for an hour or so, lots of fun!

esteban

Quote from: rrob78 on 12/28/2012, 09:46 AMPlayed some R-type and Alien Crush last night for an hour or so, lots of fun!
Ha! If you mentioned that it was on a TurboExpress, well, I'd say we were living parallel lives :pcgs:

seieienbu

This R-type talk has me wanting to take another stab at it.  As a kid I never managed to beat R-type.  Today marks more failed attempts.  I may try again tomorrow if I've got the time.  It's not as challenging as I remember it; I got a bit further than I remember doing before.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

MrFlutterPie

R-Type is super sweet but also super hard.  Too bad there is so much flicker in it.  It seems like the entire TG-16's library worth of flickering went into that one game.  I haven't noticed too much flicker in any other Turbo games so far.

CGQuarterly

Aaaand today I finished Mysterious Song.  Had no idea that it was so short.  I think I'll play it again and do a little more grinding and whatnot.  Do we not have a gameplay thread for MS here?

Chris