@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

What Turbo game are you currently playing?

Started by WandererFromYs, 02/28/2008, 12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bardoly

Quote from: Carparama on 02/23/2013, 04:42 PMThat's a game I haven't played a ton of.  Nicely done.

When I bring the physical game home tomorrow, what should be the first game I play?

Keith Courage (It was the first game I touched, and really thought it was fun.  I was pretty young though.  I've never beaten it.)
World Class Baseball (As much as I enjoyed Keith Courage, I really loved this Baseball game.  I can still play it and enjoy it today.)
Bonk's Adventure (When my dad brought this home, I was super pumped.  Fell in love with it, and Bonk is still my favourite character today.)
Bonk's Revenge (Probably the best game ever on the system.  Played through it to show my girlfriend how great it was.)
Yo'Bro (I don't remember when I got it, but I love the fact I appear to be the only person in the world to love it.)
Gunboat (I remember buying this and being told not to by the shopkeep.  I will never make that mistake again.  I keep trying it every couple of years to see if I'll like it.  I never do.)
TaleSpin (I asked for a new game for Christmas and my dad got me this, plus a Super Nintendo.  I would continue to play both, but my dad played the TG16 more because of Bomberman.  Until my sister broke it...)
CyberCore (I was never any good at shooters, but when my older sister had this and Deep Blue, she gave them to me, and I really liked this game.)
Deep Blue (Worst game on any system.  Pick it, and I'll be sad.)
Blazing Lazers (My newest game I didn't even remember I had.  Never appreciated it, or really tried it when I got the system from Value Village, and I totally should have.)

Leaning toward Blazing Lazers, but I think I'll let the lady play it first.  Hmmm.
My vote goes to Bonk's Adventure, because it feels like it ought to have been the pack-in game rather than Keith Courage.  Then move on to a shoot-'em-up.

roflmao

Yeah, I agree with Bardoly. While, over time, Blazing Lazers is probably technically the standout game of the bunch, Bonk's Adventure really encapsulates what the Turbografx-16 was bitd.  There's a special connection the hardware has with Bonk's Adventure.  It's magical.

Carparama

Bonk's Adventure for me and Blazing Lazers for the lady. I tested both systems and all twelve games and everything is good but my dad's old TV is dead so I need to get him a new small one. Haha. So pumped.

tpivette

Tried to beat Dirth again in Neutopia 2 and got stomped. I use up one potion just getting to him, and I guess the remaining one isn't enough for me to win. Gotta polish my skills I suppose.
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bardoly

The family played several hours of 5-player Bomberman '93 tonight and had a lot of fun.

...That reminds me that I really need to go ahead and get a copy of Bomberman '94 one of these days...

Carparama

Just beat Bonk's Adventure this morning. Such a wonderful game. :D

Dyna138

Even though I like Keith Courage, Bonks Adventure or even Legendary Axe would have made better pack-ins. For shooters I would say R-Type over Blazing Lazers for a pack-in just for that arcade "wow" factor even though I like Blazing Lazers more.

roflmao

I've been on a Gradius kick this weekend.  I was chatting about it on FB recently so I made a quick gameplay video to show it to a buddy.  I made it a handful of levels in before resorting to the Konami Code and still took a beating. :)

PCEngineHell

i9.photobucket . com/albums/a66/Amakusa666/valis2cleared_zps8f192188.png

seieienbu

I've had Valis 2 on my shelf since 19 something.  I should get around to beating it someday...

Nice job, Prof.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

PCEngineHell

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/24/2013, 07:49 PMI've had Valis 2 on my shelf since 19 something.  I should get around to beating it someday...

Nice job, Prof.
Its worth a playthrough for sure. I beat the game before, both the PCE and US release, but it was quite a few years back, so I wanted to play through it again for old times sake since this was one of my fav cd titles. Really never got the hate or lack of appreciation towards this one, as it is a pretty solid action game. Music is great, story is solid, power ups good, large enemy variety, and sprite details and over all color palette are very good. To add to that the sprites are nice and large and most animate well in their own respects. Game controls a little loose, but not bad by any means as it does make Yuko very responsive at least. Easily a B- type title and a good showing for early solid cd-rom efforts.

-D-

Still stuck on Raiden, got to the last level multiple times; think/hope I might be able to beat it soon.  It's pretty damn hard.

Just ordered:
Gradius
R-Type (US)
Super Star Soldier
Ordyne (US)
Barunba
Super Darius

Bardoly

Played some Cyber Cross tonight for about 15 minutes.  I'll get it back out the next time my friend is over, since he likes beat-'em-ups.  It was rather so-so for me.

RoyVegas

Kicking back and playing some Dragon Spirit with one of my sons. Good times!
All is well. :)

Bardoly

In addition to trying out Cyber Cross for the first time tonight, I also tried out Doraemon Nobita no Dorabian Nights.  It's actually quite good, and I ended up playing it for an hour or so.  It also looks like something that my boys will like, so I'll play it with them next time.

shaqfunaki

Hello all!  New here!  Hooked on Galaga '90!

Bardoly

Played some PCE Terraforming and some Fray CD: Xak Gaiden both for the first time.  On Normal Mode, Terraforming's first two stages seemed a titch easy, but I couldn't even get halfway through stage three!  It was rather difficult!  Fray reminded me of Pocky and Rocky 2 for the SNES - overhead run-'n-gun with RPG elements like stores where you can buy better weapons, and inns and item shops.  I really enjoyed it, although I would like to look up an item list with descriptions.

RainMaker

Playing Ai Cho Aniki. Fun game, but very bizzare.

rrob78

psychobear

Quote from: rrob78 on 02/28/2013, 10:10 PMAir Zonk, getting owned!
I always get owned in the last stage...

roflmao

Quote from: psychobear on 02/28/2013, 10:21 PM
Quote from: rrob78 on 02/28/2013, 10:10 PMAir Zonk, getting owned!
I always get owned in the last stage...
Yeah, that final boss run is brutal!

Dyna138

I popped in Street Fighter II last night and beat it a few times. I'm always impressed with the quality of this port. I remember drooling over it in TurboPlay when I heard it was available on the PCE only to be crushed that it never got a stateside release.

tpivette

Played Super Star Soldier for the first time last night. Made it to Stage 4 and then got wasted. It really helps to stay powered up... I lost most of my firepower when fighing the 3rd stage boss an was severely weakened for the start of the 4th Stage

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Carparama

I actually started playing Keith Courage.  I still want to try and beat it someday.  I always get frustrated after a cheap death.

PCEngineHell

Keep at it and you will. There is a couple of tough parts in Keith but not many, so mostly it is a endurance thing and you just need to take your time.

turbokon

Love stage 4 of SSS, the music and the atmosphere is just awesome!!
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

chadti99

Just completed Xanadu 2 and Spriggan 1, both highly recommended! 

Xanadu 2 really needs that english patch so I can understand the story but it plays great regardless, although Dark Fact's guide really helped.  This game has some of the best graphics I've seen out of a Turbo RPG, you can tell the developers really poured their heart into this one.  There is a ton of extra detail and the cinemas are top notch.

What can I say about Spriggan, holy smokes, incredible what Compile was able to achieve with the scant 64K of memory in the original CD unit.  This game has non stop action with some impressive visuals and music that put many Super CD shooters to shame.  You can easily finish this game in one sitting but provides plenty of challenge for my taste, especially the last level and boss.

roflmao

Spriggan is awesome!  Easily one of my favorites on any console.

Today I sat down and based my game picks on their awesome soundtracks.

I woke up this morning with the music of Dungeon Explorer in my head.  Once I figured out what game it was, I sat down and started playing. :)  Then I moved on to Dragon Spirit, and finished up with some After Burner II.  Excellent tunage through and through.

seieienbu

I've been on an RPG kick lately.  I'm going back and forth between Dragon Slayer and Order of the Griffin.  Good times.

VenomMacbeth

Just played my best game ever on Darius Plus.  I got all the way to tough spring before I game over'd. x_x
Quote from: Gogan on 08/01/2013, 09:54 AMPlay Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

psychobear

Playing Riot Zone last night, the bad characters have the best names ever in a game haha, sucks its only 1 player but still good.

-D-

Quote from: VenomMacbeth on 03/03/2013, 05:21 PMJust played my best game ever on Darius Plus.  I got all the way to tough spring before I game over'd. x_x
Hey, noticed your Raden picture, and I've been wondering: how does the Genesis Raiden Trad hold up?  I have TG-16 Raiden and SNES Raiden Trad, and I can't help but notice that the SNES port plays & feels like a complete turd compared to the TG-16 version.  But the TG-16 version doesn't have multiplayer; does the Genesis version?  Also, is the version on RP arcade perfect?  And how does it compared to the TG-16 version in terms of difficulty?  Sorry for the barrage of questions, but any answers would be appreciated.

PCEngineHell

Genesis port of Raiden is about on par with the Snes. The TG-16 port is the best of the 16-bit ports basically.

Macross 2036 cleared:

IMG

Also played some more Dungeon Explorer II today. Stopped when I got to the Village of Sef.

Obfuscate

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 03/04/2013, 02:37 AMMacross 2036 cleared:
Now that you cleared it, do you still consider it "meh"? I personally really enjoy Macross 2036.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: Obfuscate on 03/04/2013, 07:30 AM
Quote from: PCEngineHell on 03/04/2013, 02:37 AMMacross 2036 cleared:
Now that you cleared it, do you still consider it "meh"? I personally really enjoy Macross 2036.
Yeah I do. In fact, in some spots I think worse of it then before. There are quite a few cheap areas in the game that are not easily defend-able due to the color scheme of the enemies and how they pop up on screen. And you couple that with areas near the end of the game where they have you for brief periods trying to defend yourself with enemies posted behind you (especially when the screen scrolls in reverse), and this in itself will be a huge issue if you don't have the right special weapon.

The fact that it forces you to choose a different special weapon at every stage continue and start of every new stage I feel is still retarded as hell. To be honest in fact, you shouldn't even be having to go through all that bullshit to begin with. The special weapons should have just been dolled out as power ups during stages. I guess they wanted to copy Area 88 or whatever. Also, as bad ass as the last boss looks visually, he has only two attack abilities, robot snake thing, and nerve vine like things. The former can be pretty cheap since it will stalk you and its rather large and not always easy to avoid, while the later vine attack crap is super easy to avoid since it has a limit on how far it can reach. Thats what I would call a pretty unbalanced last boss battle.

I do like the music, along with some of the boss designs visually, and sound effects, but yeah, I still feel meh about this game. I'm not sure if I will play it again, or trade it off or something. It's like a C- title to me. Not terrible, but not great either by any means.

EDIT: I should note, it had been over 6 months since I originally played the game band posted about my prior experience. Due to that I felt I needed to give it one more go, so yeah, beat it on the 2nd outing.

Nec.Game.head

Ive been playing Castlevania Rondo Of Blood with the English text .. I already went through the game once and now I'm working on completing all the hidden areas with Maria .. I absolutely love all the music on this game and the actual game play is super fun and easy to play .. This game is just too awesome !!
Finally playing these games I couldn't get my hands on back in 91' !!! Nec fan always !!!

Obfuscate

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 03/04/2013, 11:10 AMThe fact that it forces you to choose a different special weapon at every stage continue and start of every new stage I feel is still retarded as hell.

Also, as bad ass as the last boss looks visually, he has only two attack abilities, robot snake thing, and nerve vine like things. The former can be pretty cheap since it will stalk you and its rather large and not always easy to avoid, while the later vine attack crap is super easy to avoid since it has a limit on how far it can reach. Thats what I would call a pretty unbalanced last boss battle.
I do wish I could re-use some sub weapons on multiple stages but seems that certain ones that unlock around the level you need them are the ones that work best anyway. Play the hard mode and you are forced to use inferior sub weapons since you won't have enough points to get the right ones. I'd agree the last boss is pretty shitty and is personally the only major beef I have with the game.

It's not in my best of the best PCE shooters but I personally really enjoy the game.

chadti99

Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 03/04/2013, 11:20 AMIve been playing Castlevania Rondo Of Blood with the English text .. I already went through the game once and now I'm working on completing all the hidden areas with Maria .. I absolutely love all the music on this game and the actual game play is super fun and easy to play .. This game is just too awesome !!
I actually prefer to play as Maria!

Bardoly

Quote from: chadti99 on 03/04/2013, 01:36 PM
Quote from: Nec.Game.head on 03/04/2013, 11:20 AMIve been playing Castlevania Rondo Of Blood with the English text .. I already went through the game once and now I'm working on completing all the hidden areas with Maria .. I absolutely love all the music on this game and the actual game play is super fun and easy to play .. This game is just too awesome !!
I actually prefer to play as Maria!
I know what you mean.  Playing as Maria just seems a bit more fun (and is easier) than playing as Richter, even though playing as a 12-year-old girl in a pink dress in a 'horror' setting does seem to be a bit strange.

seieienbu

Playing Order of the Griffon.  I'm making a map on graph paper as I go, this place is confusing!

Carparama

Graph paper, eh?  Interesting!  I started a new file on Ys for the first time, and woooooah.  Interesting battle controls.  Never played anything where you have to walk into the enemies.  :)

Wanted to play today, but the girlfriend is on a hero-run on Alien Crush and is about to break 67 million with two balls left.

esteban

Quote from: Carparama on 03/09/2013, 09:54 AMNever played anything where you have to walk into the enemies.  :)
Comrade, you don't merely walk into your opponents, you RAM into them. :pcgs:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gladiator316

Playing lords of thunder...a bit easier than Gate....that last level of gate just brings my piss to a boil ](*,)
93/94 TurboChips

tpivette

Just picked up Exile over the weekend, and haven't been able to put it down for the last two days. It kind of combines top down elements from an RPG during town and overworld exploration, with side scrolling Cadash-like action when traversing dungeons. Wonder if Wicked Phenomenon is just as good.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

psychobear

Last game I'm playing before I take my games to the buyer is Blazing Lazers :(

seieienbu

Quote from: psychobear on 03/10/2013, 09:30 PMLast game I'm playing before I take my games to the buyer is Blazing Lazers :(
An excellent choice.

turboswimbz

Quote from: tpivette on 03/10/2013, 09:12 PMJust picked up Exile over the weekend, and haven't been able to put it down for the last two days. It kind of combines top down elements from an RPG during town and overworld exploration, with side scrolling Cadash-like action when traversing dungeons. Wonder if Wicked Phenomenon is just as good.
I loved exile, it is a pretty good game all the way around. maybe a bit short, but good.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

chipperkwah

I finally got ahold of a working duo this weekend, but have nothing to play on it. It's sitting on my shelf, taunting me. Cruel.

esteban

Quote from: tpivette on 03/10/2013, 09:12 PMJust picked up Exile over the weekend, and haven't been able to put it down for the last two days. It kind of combines top down elements from an RPG during town and overworld exploration, with side scrolling Cadash-like action when traversing dungeons. Wonder if Wicked Phenomenon is just as good.
Don't get your hopes up about Wicked Phenomenon. Sadly, it just isn't as fun as Exile. The first game was too easy, whereas WP is frustrating at points (whether or not WP deserves our love has frequently been discussed...look for Rover's/nodtveidt's old posts for the PRO-WP view. Most folks, who haven't really played it much, don't invest much time in it after it leaves a bad initial taste in their mouth.

FINAL PRO-TIP: Clear all the good games on your schedule and then give WP a chance.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG