@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

About Hudson, HuC62xx and their name origins

Started by Tatsujin, 07/21/2010, 02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatsujin

Hudson Soft Ltd. was founded in Sapporo, Japan on May 18, 1973 by brothers Yuji and Hiroshi Kudo. The founders grew up admiring trains, and named the business after their favorite, the Hudson locomotives (especially Japanese C62). Hudson began as a shop selling telecommunications devices and art photographs.

About the mysterious train in question:
C62 is a type of 4-6-4 steam locomotive built by the Japanese National Railways, built from 1948 to 1949 and used till 1973. It was one of the most famous as well fastest steam engine ever built. It held a record of 127km/h.

Hudson itself (as for the american trains) is referring to the arrangement of the wheel/axis, which is called 2-C-2 in Japan, and which the C62 is using -> Therefore Hudson C62!

In 1988 there was built a new model of the C62 train called NISEKO-GO by the Hokkaido Locomotive Culture Association, which was in use from 29th April 1988 until 3rd November 1995 (-> notice almost the same lifetime as of the PC Engine).
The NISEKO-GO was used by JR Hokkaido between Otaru and Niseko (both in Hokkaido).

The same Association was looking for sponsors and contacted Hudson Softs president Hiroshi Kudo (because they were well known of the otaku like fondness for the C62 loc), which became unhesitatingly a big and very active sponsor of that project. As well their famous Momotaro Dentetsu serie, released on almost any imaginable Japanese platforms (1988 onwards) with several sequels following, was born. The PC engine got two of 'em:

Super Momotarou Dentetsu / スーパー桃太郎電鉄   1989 HuCard of
Super Momotarou Dentetsu II / スーパー桃太郎電鉄II   1991 HuCard     

Here's a souvenir photo of Hudson CQ Takahashi Meijin with wifey and kids, being in Hokkaido:
IMG

Hudson made a history book, which explains everything about the C62 Loc:
IMG

So the origin of the company's name as well their developed chipset and heart of every PC Engine model (as well PC-FX) is coming everything from that particular train model. The chipsets series HuC62xx is built-up by the Name Hudson (Hu) and the train model number C62. The manufacturer of the chipset was Seiko Epson Corporation.

The HuC6280A:
IMG

The origin of the last two digits for their respective chipsets 60/70/80 are so far unknown, respectively I couldn't find it out yet (If some one knows more about, please let us know :) ) Could also be just some random model numbers as well.

So far known, the three chipsets also have different nicknames:

HuC6280 -> Dr.Pepper / DRP: Because the model number "8", which is pronounced as "PA" from hachi -> PAchi -> P -> Dr. P(epper) (lol).
HuC6270 -> 7UP:  named after the sprite soda 7Up because the model number 7 (lol).
HuC6260 -> Tetsukannon / TETSU: Is related to a type of Olong tea. It's supposed, because the upper two are drinks as well (lol)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

nectarsis

Takahashi  with a full head of hair seems...wrong :|
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

Tatsujin

:EDIT:

I've got new infos about the nick name of the HuC6260 (thanx to elninos parallel research and omniscient expert of Oolong Tea).

The Buddhism decribes about a "Guan Yin" goddess (in Japanese known as "Kannon" [観音], and commonly known in English as the "goddess of mercy"), which has the ability to assume 6 different kind shapes.
So those master brains of creating nick names were probably referring to this, and named the HuC6260 after that kind Oolong Tea (Tetsukannon [鉄観音]), which borrows its name from that Kannon goddess (and yes, because it is a also a drink). This again leeds us to the name "TETSU" (-> TETSUJIN, the prototype name for the PC-FX hardware development).
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

SignOfZeta

Awesome research!

That photo of Takahashi is total magic.

FWIW, only the Momotaro DenTetsu games are train related. The DenSetsu games are just RPGs featuring Hudson's trademarked take on the old story.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 07/21/2010, 03:43 AMFWIW, only the Momotaro DenTetsu games are train related. The DenSetsu games are just RPGs featuring Hudson's trademarked take on the old story.
Sure you are absolutely right! Thx :)

corrected above!

Thibaut

Good work Tatsujin  :D

Hudson was a sponsor for the re-railing of locomotive C62.
This gift was given to Hudson Soft to thank.
IMG

IMG

We can see Takahashi with the locomotive C62 (at the left) at the Hudson CQ.
IMG

A part of the locomotive collection from Hudson.
IMG
Passionné et collectionneur PC Engine

SuperPlay

awack

NecroPhile

Thanks for sharing such interesting stuff.  Now, can figure out the origins of Bazaru?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Mathius

Tatsujin

Mathius

Hmm..you might be on to something Tats.

Arkhan Asylum

This is the best thread ever, forever.

Sticky it.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Mathius on 07/22/2010, 11:32 PMHmm..you might be on to something Tats.
I've noticed for years now that when you search for PC Engine on eBay you get a punch of train crap. I think that's probably just a coincidence though since "PC" is the abbreviation for "piece" and they want to say, "24 PC train set Thomas the Tank Engine" or something like that.
IMG

Tatsujin

This sure is no coincidence. Check Hudsons history above, it lies like an open book on both hands. They borrowed just as much possible from that C62 steam ENGINE.

TheClash603

Great post, I had no idea about all of this train stuff.  This is a lot cooler than "family computer = famicom."

I feel bad for Meijin though.  His family looks to be straight out of the grudge or something.  Or is it only I that sees those freak faces?!?  :(

Tatsujin

here a very nice and interesting (and mostly congruent) article about the PC Engine, from our fellow and well known PCE blogger magweasel:

http://magweasel.com/2009/05/09/pc-engine-white/#more-60

:)

Mathius

That's a great read, Tats!

It surprised me that the PC Engine doesn't have the nostalgic reputation in Japan that the Nintendo consoles have. Weird.

Tatsujin

Not so much peeps were really aware of what the PCE really was and did. Nintendo was always too strong, mainstreamed and well known. It's like good old david vs. goliath. but sure we know of who of the two was superior ;)

ccovell

Japan is really a "follow-the-leader" culture.  While in the west, you had Nintendo fans, Sega fans, etc dueling it out, in Japan the collective consciousness is only built up from what the media researches on, and all they ever devote their time to is the leader, Nintendo, with their Famicom.

I was in for a similar shock when I bought a "Sunsoft Memorial" DVD made by the producers of Game Center CX, expecting praise to be lavished on Sunsoft's great graphics and audio, hits like Meta Fight (Blaster Master), Batman, Hebereke, and Gimmick!.  But instead 85% of the DVD went on and on about Ikki, Route-16, and Atlantis no Nazo...   I guess media nostalgia extended only to the central years of the Famicom boom.

Mathius

Quote from: ccovell on 10/04/2010, 06:35 PMJapan is really a "follow-the-leader" culture.  While in the west, you had Nintendo fans, Sega fans, etc dueling it out, in Japan the collective consciousness is only built up from what the media researches on, and all they ever devote their time to is the leader, Nintendo, with their Famicom.

I was in for a similar shock when I bought a "Sunsoft Memorial" DVD made by the producers of Game Center CX, expecting praise to be lavished on Sunsoft's great graphics and audio, hits like Meta Fight (Blaster Master), Batman, Hebereke, and Gimmick!.  But instead 85% of the DVD went on and on about Ikki, Route-16, and Atlantis no Nazo...   I guess media nostalgia extended only to the central years of the Famicom boom.
That just seems crazy to me. At least one of these media people had to have had one of the 3 or 4 million PC Engines sold in Japan. Do they not feel the nostalgic pull when they hear the music of Ys, or play one of Hudson's PCE Star Soldier games? I believe what you are telling me, Chris but that just blows my mind! Poor PC Engine! Poor Neo Geo! Poor Mega Drive! :cry:

Arkhan Asylum

a friend of mine was showing Insanity to a game shop in Japan and the guy running the shop went O_O and couldn't believe people were still doofing around with the PCE, in America no less.

i guess at first he thought it was a joke, but then they hooked up a duo and fired it up and went !!!!

I can only assume the fistful of Japanese orders were in part because of that.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 10/07/2010, 02:47 PMI can only assume the fistful of Japanese orders were in part because of that.
Absolutely. A guy I know which owns a game bar als had kind of a special event playing insanity.

spenoza

I read through that other link as well. Very interesting data. I love technical information, for some reason. Just hits a spot for me. It does appear that much of the PC Engine's troubles were due to the severely constrained working RAM. It seems to me to be a fatal flaw in an otherwise very forward-looking system.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 10/07/2010, 08:11 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/07/2010, 02:47 PMI can only assume the fistful of Japanese orders were in part because of that.
Absolutely. A guy I know which owns a game bar als had kind of a special event playing insanity.
O_o srsly?

Tatsujin

recently, I have bought the lil a nice tomy locomotive system with rails, bridges, tunnels, stations etc.

but the best part, the two steam engines are C62-1 and C62-2 types :D

IMG
IMG

can there be any more obey? :P

Mathius

nectarsis

My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

grahf

This is an awesome thread. I'm glad it got bumped.

esteban

I missed this thread the first time around :)

I knew about the steam engine obsession, but I didn't know about the nicknames (Dr. Pepper, 7-Up, Tetsu).

And I love this image: pc98steamengine.png
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

guyjin

Quote from: ccovell on 10/04/2010, 06:35 PMJapan is really a "follow-the-leader" culture.  While in the west, you had Nintendo fans, Sega fans, etc dueling it out, in Japan the collective consciousness is only built up from what the media researches on, and all they ever devote their time to is the leader, Nintendo, with their Famicom.

I'ven recently become obsessed with Game Center CX, and, while I'm only up to season 5, they do seem to be very focused on 1987. They have played a few PCE games, but there's a lot more attention paid to the FC and SFC.

I was also disappointed when they started dragging out obscure consoles for a season, and brought out things like the Mark III and Tomy Pyuta. When asked at the end which his favorite was, he chose the Tomy over the Sega. :/

RegalSin

Holy Combiya!

I thought that was Wonder Momo for a second....Seriously Pretty Bomber/Honey was kinda dull.
I allways imagined her to have long flossy red hair.

It would have made more sense to have Wonder Momo.
Think about it. I betcha she is going to make a big solo comeback.

It looks like Hudson Soft actually did accomplish it's goal. To show the world how much they loved the HuC62.

I will admit something, for a while I actual loved a train line. For more then ten years, I loved it.

Hudson Soft leader was actually cool. They even used the staff members for video production. That is what a real team is about.

Note the kids shirt.
IMGIMG

RBT

Excellent thread guys, some very interesting reading.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets."

Tatsujin

does anybody have that pic saved somewhere I posted before with the pc 98 and the steam engine? :D

lost it during a crash and it's not up anymore on imageshack.

would be super nice. thx a lot :D