OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

High Fructose Corn Syrup may be making you fat.

Started by guyjin, 03/23/2010, 08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyjin

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

QuoteA Princeton University research team has demonstrated that all sweeteners are not equal when it comes to weight gain: Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States.

Arkhan Asylum

Duh!

:)

Though I am an anomaly.  I drink pop all day and dont get no fats from it
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

May be?  People love to bitch about how "diet" cola is bad for you.  I would never classify diet drinks as nutritious or beneficial, but I'd rather drink that stuff than the high fructose corn syrup-laden non-diet drinks.

guyjin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/23/2010, 09:16 PMMay be?  People love to bitch about how "diet" cola is bad for you.  I would never classify diet drinks as nutritious or beneficial, but I'd rather drink that stuff than the high fructose corn syrup-laden non-diet drinks.
It's not just pop.
Quote from: the articleHigh-fructose corn syrup is found in a wide range of foods and beverages, including fruit juice, soda, cereal, bread, yogurt, ketchup and mayonnaise.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/23/2010, 09:16 PMMay be?  People love to bitch about how "diet" cola is bad for you.  I would never classify diet drinks as nutritious or beneficial, but I'd rather drink that stuff than the high fructose corn syrup-laden non-diet drinks.
its beneficial to diabetics.  kind of.  if thats what you want to call it.  My dad drinks it because otherwise his sugar goes through the roof.  Good ol' artificial sweeteners.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

Guyjin, that is obvious.  I was using diet soda as an example.  Diet soda won't make you skinnier, but regular soda is worse for your overall health.  HFCS is practically an industry standard.  The corn industry is friggin' HUGE.  It's almost as if real sugar is illegal... the proliferation of HFCS sure makes it seem that way.

Arkhan, I agree.

guyjin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/24/2010, 12:37 AMGuyjin, that is obvious. 
Was it? I had no idea it was in bread until I read about this: I went and looked and all my bread has HFCS in it.

jperryss

Yep, HFCS is used as a sweetener (sodas, juices, etc) and as a filler (bread, etc). You'd have to go out of your way to completely avoid it, it's in everything.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/24/2010, 12:37 AMDiet soda won't make you skinnier, but regular soda is worse for your overall health.
Agreed.  If you're fat, then you eat too much and/or exercise too little; don't blame anyone else for your giant ass..... nom, nom, nom..... where'd my cookie go?

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/24/2010, 12:37 AMHFCS is practically an industry standard.  The corn industry is friggin' HUGE.  It's almost as if real sugar is illegal... the proliferation of HFCS sure makes it seem that way.
Indeed.  It's all about price - corn syrup is cheap due to government subsidies to corn farmers and sugar is disproportionately pricey due to tariffs and import quotas (i.e. - stupid gubmint).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 03/23/2010, 08:40 PMDuh!

:)

Though I am an anomaly.  I drink pop all day and dont get no fats from it
lol.. you're also around the 20. just wait till ya grown bit older :P
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Tatsujin on 03/24/2010, 09:35 AMlol.. you're also around the 20. just wait till ya grown bit older :P
listen, thats what tapeworms are for.

throw one of those suckers in with my oatmeal, down the hatch, and im on the road to weight loss

Joe Redifer

QuoteWas it? I had no idea it was in bread until I read about this: I went and looked and all my bread has HFCS in it.
I meant it was obvious it wasn't only in cola.  I think we'd all be surprised how much stuff HFCS is actually in.

Arkhan Asylum

I hear if you eat too much of it, it causes drain bamage.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/24/2010, 04:11 PMI hear if you eat too much of it, it causes drain bamage.
Are those words of personal experience?  :P

I prefer the crayon in the cranium method myself.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 03/24/2010, 04:23 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/24/2010, 04:11 PMI hear if you eat too much of it, it causes drain bamage.
Are those words of personal experience?  :P

I prefer the crayon in the cranium method myself.
Eating crayons adds more imagination to your drain.  Doesnt bamage it at all.

NecroPhile

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 03/24/2010, 04:34 PMEating crayons adds more imagination to your drain.  Doesnt bamage it at all.
Screw that; shove 'em up your nose, Homer style.  :dance:

Arkhan Asylum

OldRover

HFCS is pretty damn hard to avoid, and we know this because we attempt very hard to avoid it. That's one of the reasons I've been consistently losing weight over the last couple of years.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

This is an honest request:

I would like to find a "food" product that has ridiculous amounts of corn syrup + hydrogenated oil + salt/sodium + (optional) MSG + (optional) refined flour.

A killer combination, for sure.  But what can it taste like? That's what I want to know. I want to eat it, at least once.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

rag-time4

Quote from: esteban on 03/28/2010, 12:37 AMThis is an honest request:

I would like to find a "food" product that has ridiculous amounts of corn syrup + hydrogenated oil + salt/sodium + (optional) MSG + (optional) refined flour.

A killer combination, for sure.  But what can it taste like? That's what I want to know. I want to eat it, at least once.
It probably tastes like a donut.

esteban

Quote from: rag-time4 on 03/28/2010, 03:32 AM

You're probably right! But which donut? Where can I get the most ungodly, unholiest of all donuts?

The kind that kill on sight.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: The Old Rover on 03/27/2010, 10:06 PMHFCS is pretty damn hard to avoid, and we know this because we attempt very hard to avoid it. That's one of the reasons I've been consistently losing weight over the last couple of years.
I dont try to avoid it.  I roll around in it at night, naked.

HFCS EMPOWERS ME.

TheClash603

I like things that make me fat...  6' 205lbs, and damn proud of it.

Now if I get to 6', 250lbs...  then I may have an issue.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/28/2010, 08:56 PMI like things that make me fat...  6' 205lbs, and damn proud of it.

lol true story: Im two inches taller than you , and weigh half of you

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/29/2010, 07:13 AM
Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/28/2010, 08:56 PMI like things that make me fat...  6' 205lbs, and damn proud of it.

Dude, 102.5 lbs is, is, is.... pixieish!?

Only my Mom is that skinny!

TheClash603

Now I know I can beat you up and take your games.

guyjin

umm, wow, are you anorexic? you have a BMI of 13; anything less is not survivable, long term.

jperryss

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/introducing-the-bacon-donut.html

esteban

Quote from: jperryss on 03/30/2010, 03:47 PM

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://consumerist.com/2010/03/introducing-the-bacon-donut.html
Dammit, I'll have to bring my own soy bacon and see what happens :)

NecroPhile

rag-time4

Quote from: guyjin on 03/29/2010, 02:10 PMumm, wow, are you anorexic? you have a BMI of 13; anything less is not survivable, long term.
I totally disagree. Body mass means littls compared to proper vitamin/miniral nourishment and blood sugar levels.

Arkhan Asylum

Joe Redifer

If you are 6' 2" and only weigh 125 pounds, you must be a boney freak.  You probably have no muscle on you whatsover and do indeed look anorexic and ghoul-ish.  I am 6'0" and weighed 145 for the longest time and I was notoriously skinny at that time.

Tatsujin

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/01/2010, 01:53 AMIf you are 6' 2" and only weigh 125 pounds, you must be a boney freak.  You probably have no muscle on you whatsover and do indeed look anorexic and ghoul-ish. 
like this?

IMG
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

RoyVegas

All is well. :)

Tatsujin

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/01/2010, 01:53 AMIf you are 6' 2" and only weigh 125 pounds, you must be a boney freak.  You probably have no muscle on you whatsover and do indeed look anorexic and ghoul-ish.  I am 6'0" and weighed 145 for the longest time and I was notoriously skinny at that time.
Let's be nice. I prefer we use the term "pixieish" from my earlier post :)

Joe Redifer

Turbo D

I too would like to rofl @ Arkhan. I don't think he is too skinny or anything, he just looks hilarious in that pick.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

oldskool

No, sitting around on our fat asses, doing nothing, eating too much, and not exercising is probably what's making us fat.  Not probably, it IS what's making us a bunch of fatties.

Arkhan Asylum

its de-evolution of the human body.

we werent designed to sit around all day and herpderp around our electronics, but its becoming increasingly common to do so.

hell, even elevators man.   Everyone that isnt physically disabled that takes them up ONE FRIGGING FLOOR, needs to be wacked with a bat.  It takes longer to wait for the bastard, and ride it up than it does to walk your lazy ass up the steps.

oldskool

Quote from: Tatsujin on 04/01/2010, 05:45 AMIMG
That's just freakin' funny, I had to watch that a few times to see their reactions..  hahahaha.

mongler

I hate pop, because I know how unhealthy it is for me, yet I continue to drink it.  It's like a drug in it's own way.  I am a fool.

oldskool

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: mongler on 04/09/2010, 07:54 PMI hate pop, because I know how unhealthy it is for me, yet I continue to drink it.  It's like a drug in it's own way.  I am a fool. 
well it kinda is a drug, sorta.  with the caffeeeeene and all. :)

Its like a mild form of drinkable speed!

but dayum is it good.

they make some pop (Jones), thats made with real sugar again instead of high fructose corn slayer 

esteban

Quote from: mongler on 04/09/2010, 07:54 PMI hate pop, because I know how unhealthy it is for me, yet I continue to drink it.  It's like a drug in it's own way.  I am a fool. 
Yes, exactly. It is a drug for me, as well. Except, I love diet sodas (artificial sweetener taste = heaven), so I am probably developing a brain tumor instead of enduring the obesity-inducing effects of high fructose corn syrup.

Quote from: guest on 04/10/2010, 07:11 AMthey make some pop (Jones), thats made with real sugar again instead of high fructose corn slayer 
I wish Jones would have a line of diet sodas using artificial sweeteners. Just kidding. Well, no, actually, I'm not kidding, but Jones would never do that.

Arkhan Asylum

they make a sugar free pop or two.  Ive got a bottle of it here.  It tastes like crap.  :)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/10/2010, 08:05 AMthey make a sugar free pop or two.  Ive got a bottle of it here.  It tastes like crap.  :)
One man's crap is another man's :)

Arkhan Asylum

yes.  My dads diabetic, and cringes when he drinks regular pop.  Sometimes our pops get mixed at restaurants and we both sip at the same time and go

>_<

and trade, lol.