Looking for a External USB Capture Device

Started by turbokon, 04/29/2015, 08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbokon

All, I'm searching for a usb capture device for my laptop.  It has to have both composite and component video inputs.  I'm looking for still shots and video captures functionality.  I know I can google it but I'll rather buy one that came highly recommended and that someone have used themselves.  Thanks
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

MNKyDeth

I have never used any USB capture devices but I really like my Avermedia Live Gamer HD capture card.

From what I have seen around the twitch community etc. is that Black Magic cards and Avermedia are the most widely used.

You may need to look toward Hauppage (spelling) as they make actual "TV" tuners. You can use those to interface with the console and use some random software for capturing. Hauppage cards were considered the best or one of the best at one point in time so I imagine they should still be good.

Opethian

IMG

CGQuarterly

Quote from: MNKyDeth on 04/29/2015, 08:59 AMI have never used any USB capture devices but I really like my Avermedia Live Gamer HD capture card.

From what I have seen around the twitch community etc. is that Black Magic cards and Avermedia are the most widely used.

You may need to look toward Hauppage (spelling) as they make actual "TV" tuners. You can use those to interface with the console and use some random software for capturing. Hauppage cards were considered the best or one of the best at one point in time so I imagine they should still be good.
None of Black Magic's products will capture a 240p signal.  I recently bought one of their higher-end thunderbolt capture devices and struggled with it for a solid hour until I realized what was going on.   It was capturing the Playstation's splash screen and then nothing else.  I looked it up and discovered that they don't do 240p.

CrackTiger

I recently bought an external capture device from best buy that says it does 240p from old consoles. I assume that it connects to computers by usb. I haven't opened it up yet as I'm waiting until I get my PC setup in my new place first. I'll take a look at it when I get home from work and respond with the name and features.

I've been using Haupagge devices for many years and am hoping that this will be much better.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

CGQuarterly

Quote from: guest on 04/29/2015, 11:37 AMI recently bought an external capture device from best buy that says it does 240p from old consoles. I assume that it connects to computers by usb. I haven't opened it up yet as I'm waiting until I get my PC setup in my new place first. I'll take a look at it when I get home from work and respond with the name and features.

I've been using Haupagge devices for many years and am hoping that this will be much better.
Please post again when you get it set up.  I had a Hauppauge HD-PVR but again, it didn't capture 240p.  Do you know what codec your device encodes the video in?  The other annoyance I've found is that most of them tent to use h.264 which is not suitable for editing, meaning that I have to turn around and re-encode it into an editable format (Prores 422 in my case.)

CrackTiger

I don't have it setup yet, but it's "game capture HD". It says that it can do 60fps capturing on all resolutions except 1080p. It actually lists both 240p and 288p individually, among other resolutions.

There is no printed manual, but a quick search turned up both:

"hardware h.264 encoder"

and

"Once you've captured your raw footage, you can either keep it uncompressed, or have the program automatically compress the video into a codec of your choice."

I ordered an external Hauppauge HD-PVR when they first came out and I had to return it as defective.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

roflmao

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 04/29/2015, 10:55 PMIs this the one you have, BT?
https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/gamecapture-hd
I have one of these that I used to capture some XBOX 360 footage and never used again. Might have an hour or two of use on it. If someone here wants it $90 + Free Ship in the US (paypal friend or add 3%) or trade for some games/gaming related stuff

Has box and everything in like new condition (pics available upon request)

roflmao

If I had a spare $90 I'd take it off your hands, but alas...

That's a really good price as they still sell new for something like $150.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2015, 12:07 AMIf I had a spare $90 I'd take it off your hands, but alas...

That's a really good price as they still sell new for something like $150.
Always open to trade if you have any games you want to part with :)

Joe Redifer

The Game Capture HD cannot capture 240p from what I've seen. I even bought the extra S-video and composite connectors for it and no dice. So what I've resorted to is putting RGB into the Framemeister, scaling to 720p and capturing the HDMI out with the El Gato. That results in an MP4 file but I just let Final Cut Pro X convert that to ProRes 422(HQ) which it does fairly quickly. The Blackmagic Intensity Thunderbolt can't see the HDMI output of the Framemeister no matter what either of them are set to. Though the Framemeister firmware has been updated so maybe it's worth another shot to see if it can because that would save me a step.

CrackTiger

I wish I hadn't just opened it up. :P

If it's true that it won't do what is advertised on the box, then I'll just return it as defective if it's not too late.

Does it not capture video at 240p resolution or does it not capture video from 240p signals?

NightWolve

Ah, I got you, I had shared my info already on my SNES Mod Guide page.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=14417.0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120966019918?ssPageName

F03147 HD USB 2.0 Video Audio Capture Grabber with verified 240p+ YPbPr support!
I paid 23 shipped.

Here's a comparison of at least one shot with it:

IMG

IMG

CrackTiger

I bought one of those capture sticks after reading that thread, but mine never worked at all. :/

CGQuarterly

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/30/2015, 12:30 AMThe Game Capture HD cannot capture 240p from what I've seen. I even bought the extra S-video and composite connectors for it and no dice. So what I've resorted to is putting RGB into the Framemeister, scaling to 720p and capturing the HDMI out with the El Gato. That results in an MP4 file but I just let Final Cut Pro X convert that to ProRes 422(HQ) which it does fairly quickly. The Blackmagic Intensity Thunderbolt can't see the HDMI output of the Framemeister no matter what either of them are set to. Though the Framemeister firmware has been updated so maybe it's worth another shot to see if it can because that would save me a step.
Well, I'm glad I read this because I was considering going the s-video -> Game Capture HD route.  I really have no use for a Framemeister outside of using it for capturing purposes, so it seems like it would be cheaper to buy the XCapture-1 and a sync separator.  Or I could just keep doing what I'm doing now, which is recording s-video gameplay to DVD and then ripping it on my computer...

CrackTiger

When I came upon some newer capture devices in the store, I quickly checked them out on my phone and I chose the game capture HD because I found results of people successfully using it with 240p consoles.
I noticed some comments about peolle having trouble with 240p consoles and responses telling them to switch to the correct settings in the recording software. I also saw an unlinked video showing "how to record from retro consoles" that spent some time within software menus, but it was also capturing from a Gamecube.

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2015, 12:42 PMWhen I came upon some newer capture devices in the store, I quickly checked them out on my phone and I chose the game capture HD because I found results of people successfully using it with 240p consoles.
I noticed some comments about peolle having trouble with 240p consoles and responses telling them to switch to the correct settings in the recording software. I also saw an unlinked video showing "how to record from retro consoles" that spent some time within software menus, but it was also capturing from a Gamecube.
I had no problems recording via composite using the capture hd on my NES.. never tried a ps1. If you want i can hook it up tonight and see what i get. .

I was using the windows version of the capture software if that matters

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2015, 07:55 AMDoes it not capture video at 240p resolution or does it not capture video from 240p signals?
It doesn't see 240p at all.

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 04/30/2015, 12:05 PMOr I could just keep doing what I'm doing now, which is recording s-video gameplay to DVD and then ripping it on my computer...
Ewww. That's what AVGN and Irate Gamer do. I had to do a DVD for a client last week and I forgot just how awful DVD is.

CGQuarterly

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/30/2015, 03:32 PM
Quote from: CGQuarterly on 04/30/2015, 12:05 PMOr I could just keep doing what I'm doing now, which is recording s-video gameplay to DVD and then ripping it on my computer...
Ewww. That's what AVGN and Irate Gamer do. I had to do a DVD for a client last week and I forgot just how awful DVD is.
I really don't think it's bad once you figure out what works.  I just rip the DVD using Handbrake (because it has a much better deinterlacer than MPEG Streamclip) then convert it to Prores 422 using Compressor.  I check out videos on YT of people using upscalers like the Framemeister and then using capture devices, and while the video quality is better, it isn't enough of an improvement to make me think that I need to spend $400+ to upgrade my equipment.  When my DVD recorder eventually breaks, then it will be worth the upgrade.

turbokon

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/30/2015, 09:10 AMAh, I got you, I had shared my info already on my SNES Mod Guide page.

F03147 HD USB 2.0 Video Audio Capture Grabber with verified 240p+ YPbPr support!
I paid 23 shipped.

IMG

IMG
That is cheap.  I'll give this a try. Thanks

www.tg16pcemods.com

ClodBusted

Let's make a "find the 10 differences" picture out of it.

CGQuarterly

Quote from: turbokon on 04/30/2015, 11:13 PM
Quote from: NightWolve on 04/30/2015, 09:10 AMAh, I got you, I had shared my info already on my SNES Mod Guide page.

I paid 23 shipped.

IMG

IMG
I'd buy that just to screw around with if I could get it to work on a Mac...

turbokon

Not sure if cheapi one will suit my needs.  I'm looking at the Elgato Game Capture HD and says it supports 240p.  As someone already posted, you may need to change a setting if you're having issue with 240p.  I will spend the money and buy this instead.

www.tg16pcemods.com

Joe Redifer

CrackTiger

I only had a brief moment to test out the game capture HD today, but it looks like it is only supposed to capture <480p signals by composite and I believe that it only does so interlaced. Very misleading packaging.

With that said, in the short amount of time I had with only a couple non-standard consoles, I was not able to get it to see 240p composite signals.

If it won't record 240p by component, I'd still be happy if it will do interlaced s-video recording, if it upscales to HD nicely. But I'm not ordering the extra cable unless I can get composite working first.

EDIT: on my way out the door, but just found this in response to similar issues:

"If it gives you sass you should switch between some different inputs(like HDMI/component) and back to composite to reset it, or just makes sure you turn elgato capture program on after you turn on the console and it has already went through all the producers(those have tendency to be in different resolutions). After that you can usually hit reset on the console itself (while elgato capture is still running )and it should be able to pick up everything no problem. You just have to try different combinations of turning on and off and it'll eventually work"

CGQuarterly

That thing sounds pretty lame.  XCapture-1 is sounding better and better.

turbokon

I recieved game capture hd today.  After fiddling around, it does capture 240p but only composite, not in component.

www.tg16pcemods.com

CrackTiger

I gave in and just ordered a framesmeister.

Joe Redifer

Cool. Either buy JP21 (not SCART but looks the same) cables for your console or buy a EU SCART to Framemeister adapter so you can hook up EU SCART. I can't seem to find any of them on eBay at the moment. But the seller who goes by the name retro_console_accessories makes them. Keep an eye on her store for changes.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/03/2015, 03:06 PMCool. Either buy JP21 (not SCART but looks the same) cables for your console or buy a EU SCART to Framemeister adapter so you can hook up EU SCART. I can't seem to find any of them on eBay at the moment. But the seller who goes by the name retro_console_accessories makes them. Keep an eye on her store for changes.
What about this?

http://www.retrogamingcables.com/european-scart-to-framemeister-xrgb-mini-converter-for-sale.html

Is a sync stripper required for an XRGB-mini?

I have a finnicky rgb-to-component transcoder that only seems to work 100% with a couple of my consoles. If I'm going to need JP21 connections for each console, I'd rather use a converter since scart seems easy to find.

Joe Redifer

Yeah that one will work. That site looks familiar maybe that's where I got mine as well. I have a sync stripper in mine. I doubt it's required. I sometimes still have a few sync issues here and there and I need to adjust settings in the Framemeister to compensate. The Turbo is particularly bitchy. Gotta adjust the sync level. Be sure to update the firmware once you get it to version 2. It's super easy to do.

NightWolve

Quote from: CGQuarterly on 05/01/2015, 11:13 AM
Quote from: turbokon on 04/30/2015, 11:13 PM

I paid $23 shipped.

IMG IMG
I'd buy that just to screw around with if I could get it to work on a Mac...
Sorry Jibba, no can do: the driver is only for Windows XP/Vista/7/etc. built on Microsoft DirectX 9.0c - so yeah, it's all MS Windows baby! Only downside I saw is the included capture software is cheap (naturally, for that price!), BUT, once I got the driver installed I used DScaler for everything! Any other video software (like TV apps) that supports DirectShow will be able to interface with it.

CGQuarterly

Well then, fuck that thing.  Pretty shitty that Black Magic, who seems to cater their shit towards Mac users, doesn't make products that support 240p. 

Honestly, the more I look into this stuff, the happier I am just recording to DVD.  I don't have to deal with drivers, sync issues, etc.  My dream setup would be a standalone hard drive-based video recorder that I could just copy the video files off of.  I know that there is one out there that even supports euro-SCART, but I think the build quality is suspect.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/04/2015, 01:58 AMYeah that one will work. That site looks familiar maybe that's where I got mine as well. I have a sync stripper in mine. I doubt it's required. I sometimes still have a few sync issues here and there and I need to adjust settings in the Framemeister to compensate. The Turbo is particularly bitchy. Gotta adjust the sync level. Be sure to update the firmware once you get it to version 2. It's super easy to do.
Thanks for the tips.

I ordered both the regular and sync stripped cables last night, after finding some decent info about the various complications. It sounds like for some consoles, one of the two will work best or at all.

I have the component transcoder that everyone recommends to buy off of eBay. Until recently, I haven't been able to get it to work with any modified consoles and with unmodded Sega and Neo Geo systems there was some distortion at the screen edges. Maybe that was just a sync issue? The weird thing is that I recently got a Twin Famicom with NESRGB and an RGB modified white PCE system and both seem to work perfectly with it.

So if I have issues taking RGB straight from them to the Framsmeister, I'll try using the transcoded component video.

I just really want to be able to record some high quality 60fps video from 240p consoles.

Joe Redifer

I'll be interested to hear your results with the sync and non-sync cables. I wasn't aware that one could work better than the other for certain systems. I record my Framemeister's HDMI output into the El Gato Game Capture HD. Works pretty well most of the time. I output from the Framemeister at 720p as the El Gato will record that at 60fps. My show is 30fps but I still need 60fps recordings in case a character flickers from getting hit, etc. I don't want to be one of those channels where the main character just completely disappears when flashing.

CGQuarterly

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/04/2015, 03:23 PMMy show is 30fps but I still need 60fps recordings in case a character flickers from getting hit, etc. I don't want to be one of those channels where the main character just completely disappears when flashing.
I've been trying to figure out how to deal with this.  So if I rip my DVD footage at twice the framerate and select "top field first", should that solve the problem?

Joe Redifer

turbokon

I read that the Roxio game capture pro is supposed to take 240p over component.

www.tg16pcemods.com

turbokon

So I got the cheapie usb device  that nightwolve recommended and it works to my surprise.  Thanks night :)

www.tg16pcemods.com

NightWolve

Cool! I like it! If anyone else has a Windows box and wants a cheapo that still works with 240p signals, there ya go!

Digi.k

another thread brought back from the dead but I just got a capture device and trying it out...

Elgato HD with pc engine via composite.  Somehow I can't seem to get any audio or video signal via component hook up..

https://youtu .be/4ebUdQxIfa8
https://youtu .be/wObrLrtU18A
https://youtu .be/h0ynfep8AFk
https://youtu .be/z4Hqy8Lac0A