RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Turbo Gouging on Ebay ( r.i.p. - gouging much )

Started by NecroPhile, 08/03/2010, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PCEngineTrev

I would love that set up, but with shipping and import taxes to the UK its well out of my price range.

Im looking for the CD dock/unit on its own, but it hardly appears on ebay these days.
IMG

NoSexGex

For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Keith Courage

Pretty much anything for the tg16/pc engine on ebay is gouging now days. Especially with Buyitnow. The only time one might find a good deal is if the listing is an auction started low. The only downfall with this is lots of time the auction will get up the the amount of the other gouging buyitnow sales because everyone starts to think that is the going rate for said game since that is all that is available. It's kind of crazy but in the last 2 months alone I've seen sellers raise the price of a game they sell by almost $10 every weak and I think they get away with it too because of the supply and demand. It artificially raises the going rate of said game when the supply is not there. 

Pretty soon, the only way for anyone new getting into the system to be able to play any games will be to get a Turboeverdrive and a stack of CD-Rs. It's just sad because I really like helping others get into playing these systems and the lack of games on the market just can't match the interest being shown for it now.

There are some exceptions to the U.S. Game gouging because the market pretty much takes care of that itself. No one is going to pay more than say around $20 tops for keith courage, final lap twin, World Class Baseball, JJ and jeff, galaga 90, power golf, Aliens Crush, sonic spike, moto roader, Vigilante, Pac-land, Victory Run, Dragon Spirit, dungeon explorer, tricky kick, Side Arms, TV sports games... Basically the most common of the Turbo Hu card library.

seieienbu

Ugh.  For curiosity's sake I looked up ebay prices on a bunch of stuff that I haven't kept my eye on in years because I've got it already and I was shocked to see what the prices are up to.  My current favorite was this one: www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboGrafx-16-Turbo-Duo-with-Super-CD-Working-bundled-with-25-games-/272857580445

Piecemeal, if you look at the high prices, I guess it adds up to roughly that much.  That said, if its sold in a lot if should run for less than the total.  Either way, that kind of pricing honestly seems ridiculous to me.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NoSexGex

lol at the TG16 duffle bag that sold on eBay this morning for $200.

If you thought that was bad, there was a super shitty condition TG16 duffle bag that sold on Instagram (of all places) for $250! [-(

IMG
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"

Gypsy

That's pretty much the height of collectardism. $200 for a god dammmm bag.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/22/2017, 09:55 PMlol at the TG16 duffle bag that sold on eBay this morning for $200.

If you thought that was bad, there was a super shitty condition TG16 duffle bag that sold on Instagram (of all places) for $250! [-(

IMG
F*ck.

I wanted the duffle bag, watch, water bottle, wallet, etc. etc. etc.

I had the little pamphlet catalog as a kid and I remember thinking that $$$ will always go towards buying a new game.

NOW, however, I wish I bought this silly shite when it was cheap on ebay many moons ago.

I have never held a TG-16 water bottle, but I know that it will look great (and smell toxic).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: seieienbu on 09/22/2017, 07:38 PMUgh.  For curiosity's sake I looked up ebay prices on a bunch of stuff that I haven't kept my eye on in years because I've got it already and I was shocked to see what the prices are up to.  My current favorite was this one: www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-TurboGrafx-16-Turbo-Duo-with-Super-CD-Working-bundled-with-25-games-/272857580445

Piecemeal, if you look at the high prices, I guess it adds up to roughly that much.  That said, if its sold in a lot if should run for less than the total.  Either way, that kind of pricing honestly seems ridiculous to me. 
"Knowing the value of the console I have only played it to test the games."  <-- does the value of a used system change simply from using it?

"I have briefly dusted console top with vinegar on a rag."  <-- good plan: further protect the system's value by wiping it down with acid.  :lol:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NoSexGex

Quote from: esteban on 09/25/2017, 12:40 AMI have never held a TG-16 water bottle, but I know that it will look great (and smell toxic).
Ahhhh yes, the pleasant 1990's fermentation of BPA.

You'll need all the hydration you can get after playing with the official TG16 frisbee

esteban

Quote from: guest on 09/25/2017, 10:42 PM
Quote from: esteban on 09/25/2017, 12:40 AMI have never held a TG-16 water bottle, but I know that it will look great (and smell toxic).
Ahhhh yes, the pleasant 1990's fermentation of BPA.

You'll need all the hydration you can get after playing with the official TG16 frisbee
Frisbee!

Indubitably.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

LostFlunky

Finally something showed up in my eBay filter "hyper rare!"

NecroPhile

PCEngineTrev

I really cant tell if theres anything unique about that GT to justify the insane price. Its somehow attracted 16 watchers!
IMG

NecroPhile

It was presumably originally sold in France (with French paperwork), not bought from someone in Japan and mailed directly to the end user.  Maybe through Sodipeng?

Mathius

Sounds like someone from Capcom has been adding their adjectives to the classic gaming market lol

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

turboswimbz

NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NoSexGex

Quote from: PCEngineTrev on 10/01/2017, 05:53 PM$999 for an empty box anyone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-CD-Box-plus-Styro-NO-UNIT-INCLUDED-Ultra-Rare-/322795728508?hash=item4b281fee7c:g:zK8AAOSwWWpZ0D1R
Feels like this listing it my fault, I was talking to the seller earlier about buying this. And out of spite he posted it to eBay looking "for offers".

Bottom line, he's not getting the collectard premium he's hoping for. There's too many things missing; papers, styrofoam, the CD-G, card holder ect. Plus ontop of that, there's a million serial numbers. So u can't even Frankenstein other components from other boxed consoles.

I was hoping to use this to my advantage, but the box condition has him thinking he struck gold.

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 10/01/2017, 07:09 PM
Quote from: PCEngineTrev on 10/01/2017, 05:53 PM$999 for an empty box anyone?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Grafx-16-CD-Box-plus-Styro-NO-UNIT-INCLUDED-Ultra-Rare-/322795728508?hash=item4b281fee7c:g:zK8AAOSwWWpZ0D1R
My fault u guys, I was talking to the seller about buying this earlier. Out of spite he posted it to eBay looking "for offers"
if that is true let this person know I think they are A GIANT D**K.  if I had the chance I would Cr#p in this box and hand it back to them.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NoSexGex

Quote from: turboswimbz on 10/01/2017, 07:23 PMif that is true let this person know I think they are A GIANT D**K.  if I had the chance I would Cr#p in this box and hand it back to them.
He owns a store I guess #-o

Arkhan Asylum

I found the old lightscribe Insanity games I made, and was reminded of how much of a piece of shit RoyVegas is,

just dropping in to remind everyone.

lol
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

deubeul

QuoteIt was presumably originally sold in France (with French paperwork), not bought from someone in Japan and mailed directly to the end user.  Maybe through Sodipeng?
Yep. Sodipeng GT. I remember the day I bought it in  93, and throwing away the box and manuals in a street bin on my way home, because I had to hide it from my parents.
So I don't remember the exact packaging, but I'm not sure the japanese reg card was part of it.

NoSexGex

Quote from: turboswimbz on 10/01/2017, 07:23 PMif that is true let this person know I think they are A GIANT D**K.  if I had the chance I would Cr#p in this box and hand it back to them.
He's looking for $600USD I guess, or at least that's the ## stuck in his head. Apparently his friend told him that he sold his awhile back on eBay and it got bidded up to $600+. And yes, we're talking about a fucking empty box.

CrackTiger

Quote from: NoSexGex on 10/03/2017, 06:38 PM
He's looking for $600USD I guess, or at least that's the ## stuck in his head. Apparently his friend told him that he sold his awhile back on eBay and it got bidded up to $600+. And yes, we're talking about a fucking empty box.
Then list it with a starting bid of $0.99 and watch your dreams come true.

Unless you have a sinking feeling that it's just an empty box and you don't want to find out what it's really worth, lest you embarrass yourself to your fellow baller fliptards.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

turboswimbz

QuoteHe's looking for $600 USD I guess, or at least that's the ## stuck in his head. Apparently, his friend told him that he sold his awhile back on eBay and it got bid up to over $600. And yes, we're talking about a forking empty box.
I get that the boxes can be rare.  I get why people want to have them.  I get why you inquired about it. I get why he wants a premium for it, but come on.  Leaning on "a friend" said and then throwing up for 1K.  That is just being a big baby, furthermore, it illustrates that people don't think rationally when it comes to these types of hobbies but emotionally. 

And this boils down my problem with price charting, Ebay, Amazon and mass shipping stores.  To most people, ALL they see is ALL there is.  And so if the last one sold on Ebay for $625 then guess what I have the same thing so the perceived value to me is $625.  I see Bonk on E-bay for $85 so now the one I have is worth $85 too.  And if anyone offers me less than they are devaluing my item and I should be offended.  When in reality the last 20 boxes have should for under 300 except that one.  And so now the exception is the rule.   And E-bay and all these others benefit from the higher prices so they do little to show anyone cheaper pricing while feeding on the emotional and instinctive behaviors of people.  Not that supply and demand isn't real, or that retro gaming hasn't taken off in the past 5 years to new heights, but people taking advantage of the system to inflate prices has taken away much of the fun for me.

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 10/03/2017, 07:01 PMThen list it with a starting bid of $0.99 and watch your dreams come true.

Unless you have a sinking feeling that it's just an empty box and you don't want to find out what it's really worth, lest you embarrass yourself to your fellow baller fliptards.
See this is the thing about the social currency that what I described creates.  Your collection, your credit, is only worth how much Money you can prove your collection is worth.  Since when is that anything.  A fancy car is just a block with wheels if you can't drive.   A collection that you don't interact with is garbage.  just my view, I am sure others differ, but it really takes the fun out of it when. Bob "I'm Empty inside" Box is trying to impress Susan SNES scalper.

crazydean

Car and motorcycle collecting is even worse. For example, I recently went to a classic motorcycle show. It was pretty small so nothing exciting. Anyway, I walked over to this 70s Yamaha TX500. There is nothing unique, rare, collectible about this bike. It didn't hit any special milestones or have anything significant about it. It's just kinda old. So the owner walks up to me as I'm looking at it and he has this big shit eating grin on his face. He then proceeds to tell me that he has put about 300 miles on it since he bought it four years ago like that's supposed to impress me, that he hasn't used this machine meant as transportation and instead has let it set around. I just walked away. How do you interact with people who take something that has a purpose and intentionally doesn't use it for that which it was built.

NoSexGex

My offer was so bad in conjunction to what he was hoping for lol

NoSexGex

I have my doubts that one in similiar state sold for $600USD +. There's too many things missing for a collector to dish out that kind of $$ in my opinion. Of course he can't prove it either, if it happened in like January without a screen shot or something.

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/03/2017, 07:01 PMlist it with a starting bid of $0.99 and watch your dreams come true.
Exactly. If he's so confident his cardboard is worth $600, he should just throw it up as an auction. He's actively reposting trying to sell as a BIN, so what's holding him back? He seems pretty confident in his friends evaluation, so why not go forward?? Maybe he's one of those tax season guys lol.

Turboswimbz I agree 100%, emotions are what drive these sellers crazy.
There was a guy local who owned a wine shop, wasn't remotely into video games. But at a garage sale, he found a box of TurboGrafx 16 games that he got for like $20. And of course one of those games happened to be Hero Tonma. Posted it for $800USD on the FB pages, got laughed at, got some serious offers, low offers ect. But then a local store reached out to him and offered him $750USD, which he contemplated and ended up refusing :lol:. In retrospect, he's a fucking idiot. At the time, there were eBay BINS lower than the $750 he was offered. But for whatever reason, he had $800 stuck in his head. He threw it up for auction on eBay a couple times, both auctions ending around $500. Refused to settle for the ending price, and accepted the negative feedback / paying the 10% eBay fees.

Few months later he reposted for $600, still didn't sell. When someone offered him $500, he got so upset he deleted all his posts and said he was keeping it. I checked in with him a few weeks ago, and he still has it NFS. Just sitting in a dusty box in his garage he says.
By far the most emotional seller i've ever witnessed, and it happened this summer.

He had some solid other games too like NAI and Jackie Chan, but was less emotional about them. Still jerked people around on eBay, canceling transactions and refunding a couple people ect.

NecroPhile

CrackTiger

Maybe he never had the box and is just using photos of Turbo goods to hang with the elite flippers?

xcrement5x

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/04/2017, 09:24 AMMaybe he never had the box and is just using photos of Turbo goods to hang with the elite flippers?
Lol, that's a whole other level of masochism.

Gypsy

Quote from: NoSexGex on 10/04/2017, 02:22 AMI have my doubts that one in similiar state sold for $600USD +. There's too many things missing for a collector to dish out that kind of $$ in my opinion. Of course he can't prove it either, if it happened in like January without a screen shot or something.

Quote from: CrackTiger on 10/03/2017, 07:01 PMlist it with a starting bid of $0.99 and watch your dreams come true.
Exactly. If he's so confident his cardboard is worth $600, he should just throw it up as an auction. He's actively reposting trying to sell as a BIN, so what's holding him back? He seems pretty confident in his friends evaluation, so why not go forward?? Maybe he's one of those tax season guys lol.

Turboswimbz I agree 100%, emotions are what drive these sellers crazy.
There was a guy local who owned a wine shop, wasn't remotely into video games. But at a garage sale, he found a box of TurboGrafx 16 games that he got for like $20. And of course one of those games happened to be Hero Tonma. Posted it for $800USD on the FB pages, got laughed at, got some serious offers, low offers ect. But then a local store reached out to him and offered him $750USD, which he contemplated and ended up refusing :lol:. In retrospect, he's a fucking idiot. At the time, there were eBay BINS lower than the $750 he was offered. But for whatever reason, he had $800 stuck in his head. He threw it up for auction on eBay a couple times, both auctions ending around $500. Refused to settle for the ending price, and accepted the negative feedback / paying the 10% eBay fees.

Few months later he reposted for $600, still didn't sell. When someone offered him $500, he got so upset he deleted all his posts and said he was keeping it. I checked in with him a few weeks ago, and he still has it NFS. Just sitting in a dusty box in his garage he says.
By far the most emotional seller i've ever witnessed, and it happened this summer.

He had some solid other games too like NAI and Jackie Chan, but was less emotional about them. Still jerked people around on eBay, canceling transactions and refunding a couple people ect.
So much lol at this story. Really love refusing to take $750 and but then would settle for $600 later. Also, eating $100+ in eBay fees because it didn't sell for enough. Sooo you will lose money over not profiting enough? Just amazing.

NoSexGex

Quote from: Gypsy on 10/04/2017, 03:41 PMSo much lol at this story. Really love refusing to take $750 and but then would settle for $600 later. Also, eating $100+ in eBay fees because it didn't sell for enough. Sooo you will lose money over not profiting enough? Just amazing.
Right? It's his way or fuk u

Mathius

I guess we should be grateful that it didn't sell at the price he wanted.

in99flames

Speaking of more retardation....

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/112537439441

Check out his prices. Retarded. Ridiculous. Oh btw....everything is "RARE".

But this is SUPER RARE...I don't see what is so rare and valuable about a mismatched game thats not even complete. Missing longbox...missing star map...its the US version disc in the Japanese case.

I also love how that auction says its the lowest price...and if you find one cheaper he will price match.
 So how about this one for $18?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302159273238
It's 100 dollars cheaper lol.

Dont forget to check the 3do demo disc he is selling! Its a steal at $90. People like him on ebay.....man....
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

Mathius

I picked mine up for $50 brand new in long box. The nerve!

seieienbu

I love how there's no screen shot of the thing actually working.  Lots of pictures of the box though.

turboswimbz

seieienbu

Yeah, this guy's doing everything right.

tbone3969

"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

NoSexGex

Quote from: tbone3969 on 10/15/2017, 08:59 PM3k is a decent price.
Go buy it and use it as trade bait for that LT u want

NecroPhile

And you wonder why so many people dislike you.  :lol:

tbone3969

And you wonder why so many people dislike you.  :lol:
I was joking lol.

People thought I was serious?  Geez, lighten up.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Gypsy

Quote from: seieienbu on 10/15/2017, 08:32 PMYeah, this guy's doing everything right.
Love the local pick-up only aspect.

NoSexGex

Even with the added pictures, the seller still doesn't know what they're doing