RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Turbo Grafx 16 + RAU-30 + PC Engine CD...?

Started by Cooljerk, 05/26/2013, 03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooljerk

I've been collecting various PC Engine models for a few months now. I just purchased an RAU-30 for my Super Grafx and intend to use it on my PC Engine CD. It won't arrive for a few weeks, but in the mean time I've been researching to see if I could use it to connect my Turbo Grafx to a PC Engine CD with the thing. Any reason why it wouldn't work? I have a Turbo Booster, but not a Turbo Booster Plus, so being able to use this thin with a US Turbo Grafx would be helpful as I'd gain file cabinet access.

Anyone care to weigh in?

Deletion

Not sure if the RAU-30 works with the TG16. If it does, you'll also need an Interface Unit (IFU) as the RAU-30 does not connect to a CD-ROM unit directly. The setup will look this:

/20120701219sgxrau30.jpg

Cooljerk

Ah yeah, I have the interface unit already. I'm going for an ultimate PC Engine setup - a Super Grafx with a CD-Rom unit and an Arcade card pro. If this winds up working with my Turbo Grafx as well, that's just the cherry on top.

I've seen a few people ask this question before, from googling and looking around the board, but I haven't seen anybody actually answer. I'm guessing these RAU-30 things aren't too popular?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Cooljerk on 05/26/2013, 05:36 PMAh yeah, I have the interface unit already. I'm going for an ultimate PC Engine setup - a Super Grafx with a CD-Rom unit and an Arcade card pro. If this winds up working with my Turbo Grafx as well, that's just the cherry on top.

I've seen a few people ask this question before, from googling and looking around the board, but I haven't seen anybody actually answer. I'm guessing these RAU-30 things aren't too popular?
It's not really worth the cost and hassle when you can just use a SuperGrafx with a Super CD-ROM.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

SignOfZeta

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with the TG-16. The TG-16 will only fit into the US dock.
IMG

Cooljerk

Quote from: guest on 05/26/2013, 05:59 PM
Quote from: Cooljerk on 05/26/2013, 05:36 PMAh yeah, I have the interface unit already. I'm going for an ultimate PC Engine setup - a Super Grafx with a CD-Rom unit and an Arcade card pro. If this winds up working with my Turbo Grafx as well, that's just the cherry on top.

It's not really worth the cost and hassle when you can just use a SuperGrafx with a Super CD-ROM.
lol but that thing is so ugly!

RoyVegas

Quote from: Cooljerk on 05/26/2013, 07:02 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/26/2013, 05:59 PM

lol but that thing is so ugly!
Being ugly is party of the beauty of it!
All is well. :)

Deletion

There's a quaint industrial beauty about the SuperGrafX + Super CD-ROM2 combo.

/sgxscd220120703230.th.jpg

Cooljerk

Quote from: Deletion on 05/26/2013, 07:22 PMThere's a quaint industrial beauty about the SuperGrafX + Super CD-ROM2 combo.

/sgxscd220120703230.th.jpg
I don't like the way the plastics don't match, and I generally feel like the Super CD-Rom2 looks cheap. I adore the look of the classic PC Engine beside a CD-Rom unit, I think the original CD-Rom unit looked the sleekest of all of NEC's creation. The RAU-30 lets me keep my Super Grafx with the same color plastic, and give me the look of a classic PC Engine.

csgx1

I've tried using the Turbo Grafx system with the RAU-30 and it doesn't fit.   The outer shape of the connector is different and Turbo Grafx back portion doesn't seem long enough were the connector don't reach the RAU-30 connector.  Although with some modification it should work. 

Also tried the RAU-30 with a Super Grafx to a Turbo Grafx CD interface.  The RAU-30 doesn't fit since the case is too tall and the outer connector shape is different.  Should work if the RAU-30 case is taken off (or modified) and the outer shape of the connector is modified to fit. 

I didn't want to mod my RAU-30 since it's kind of pointless for me and the results would be pretty damn ugly.

jelloslug

Quote from: csgx1 on 05/27/2013, 03:41 AMI've tried using the Turbo Grafx system with the RAU-30 and it doesn't fit.   The outer shape of the connector is different and Turbo Grafx back portion doesn't seem long enough were the connector don't reach the RAU-30 connector.  Although with some modification it should work. 

Also tried the RAU-30 with a Super Grafx to a Turbo Grafx CD interface.  The RAU-30 doesn't fit since the case is too tall and the outer connector shape is different.  Should work if the RAU-30 case is taken off (or modified) and the outer shape of the connector is modified to fit. 

I didn't want to mod my RAU-30 since it's kind of pointless for me and the results would be pretty damn ugly.

Could you take the guts of the RAU-30 and put them in a TurboBooster?

csgx1

Quote from: guest on 05/28/2013, 08:40 AM
Quote from: csgx1 on 05/27/2013, 03:41 AMI've tried using the Turbo Grafx system with the RAU-30 and it doesn't fit.   The outer shape of the connector is different and Turbo Grafx back portion doesn't seem long enough were the connector don't reach the RAU-30 connector.  Although with some modification it should work. 

Could you take the guts of the RAU-30 and put them in a TurboBooster?
Interesting idea. Modding a Turbo Booster case with the RAU-30 inside could potentially look very clean. 

The RAU-30 guts probably would not directly fit into a Turbo Booster case, but I can't say for sure since I don't have one.  You would still need to modify the outer connector shape on either the RAU-30 or the Turbo Grafx to fit together and cut a hole on the Booster case for the cable. 

Here's a few pics of the connector and case differences. The last two pics: there's about an inch gap until the 2 connectors/sides will plug in. 

IMG
IMG
IMG
IMG

esteban

STATUS: ...and the mating ritual between North American and Japanese hardware continues...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Cooljerk

I was coming to confirm that, no, it doesn't fit, but it seems I was beaten to the punch. What a tease, lol.