RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap REMAKE

Started by jlued686, 05/31/2016, 11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esadajr

I'll wait for the PC version thank you very much.
Gaming since 1985

jlued686

Quote from: technozombie on 04/19/2017, 12:07 PM
Quote from: KingDrool on 04/18/2017, 11:57 PMPlayed it up through the merman part. I absolutely love it. I found a secret area, which was crazy hard, but everything else plays just like the original.
Was the secret area something that was in the original or something they added?
I do not think it was in the original game, but I could be wrong. It was a secret door that I found by complete accident.

Sarumaru

Although I did pick this game up for the Switch, I am much more excited for Monster Boy. I have waited a long time for the day when there would be a new installment in the series, I think Monster Boy will be the sequel that fans have been waiting for. Dragon's Trap is an excellent game though, one of the best, if not the best in the series.

Joe Redifer

Where is the secret door in the piranha area? I found something as Bird Man or Hawk Man all the way to the right in the Desert stage. Really hard because you keep getting juggled by everything on screen.

Michirin9801

Quote from: Sarumaru on 04/19/2017, 07:23 PMAlthough I did pick this game up for the Switch, I am much more excited for Monster Boy. I have waited a long time for the day when there would be a new installment in the series, I think Monster Boy will be the sequel that fans have been waiting for. Dragon's Trap is an excellent game though, one of the best, if not the best in the series.
I'd say that The Dragon's Trap remake is an appetiser whereas Monster Boy will be the main course if you get what I mean ;3

BigusSchmuck

Did everyone here get it for their Switch? I need to finish Zelda before I pick it up. Then again, I would prefer a physical release vs digital for obvious reasons.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/19/2017, 08:26 PMWhere is the secret door in the piranha area? I found something as Bird Man or Hawk Man all the way to the right in the Desert stage. Really hard because you keep getting juggled by everything on screen.
That sounds like an area that was there in the original, maybe where you get the sword that breaks blocks I think?  Or maybe it's something seperate from that in the same area?

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 04/19/2017, 11:32 PMDid everyone here get it for their Switch? I need to finish Zelda before I pick it up. Then again, I would prefer a physical release vs digital for obvious reasons.
PS4.  It'd be cool if they made a Vita version, maybe get Limited Run to release a physical copy.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/20/2017, 01:19 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/19/2017, 08:26 PMWhere is the secret door in the piranha area? I found something as Bird Man or Hawk Man all the way to the right in the Desert stage. Really hard because you keep getting juggled by everything on screen.
That sounds like an area that was their in the original, maybe where you get the sword that breaks blocks I think?  Or maybe it's something seperate from that in the same area?
All I got was the Hawk Charm or something like that. I'm betting each animal has a charm hidden somewhere. You need all of them to buy the special item that the one shop won't sell you if you're not charming enough. Just a guess though.

I got it on the PS4 because that's waaaay more powerful than the Switch and Wonder Boy 3 needs all the power it can get. There's probably 20 or 30 sprites onscreen at once. Can't risk the flicker and slowdown.

ParanoiaDragon

Hmm, well, I'll get to that part soon enough.  I do remember needing the charms, though I think some armor also ups your charm IIRC.

PS4 4 da MEGA POWA!!!
IMG

jlued686

If I remember correctly, there is a platform in the water with an open clam on it. Just go there and push up and a secret door will open.

Sarumaru

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 04/19/2017, 11:13 PM
Quote from: Sarumaru on 04/19/2017, 07:23 PMAlthough I did pick this game up for the Switch, I am much more excited for Monster Boy. I have waited a long time for the day when there would be a new installment in the series, I think Monster Boy will be the sequel that fans have been waiting for. Dragon's Trap is an excellent game though, one of the best, if not the best in the series.
I'd say that The Dragon's Trap remake is an appetiser whereas Monster Boy will be the main course if you get what I mean ;3
That's a good way of looking at it :P  The new game has some awesome remixes of some older tracks, unsurprising considering who the musical talents are.  Having Westone's former founder watching over it also makes it something that much more exciting for me. Like Joe mentioned earlier, I do like that the new Dragon's Trap has an a classic mode that runs so smoothly.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/20/2017, 02:12 AM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/20/2017, 01:19 AM
Aha, I got to that area last nite......I don't recall it from BITD.

That sounds like an area that was their in the original, maybe where you get the sword that breaks blocks I think?  Or maybe it's something seperate from that in the same area?
All I got was the Hawk Charm or something like that. I'm betting each animal has a charm hidden somewhere. You need all of them to buy the special item that the one shop won't sell you if you're not charming enough. Just a guess though.

I got it on the PS4 because that's waaaay more powerful than the Switch and Wonder Boy 3 needs all the power it can get. There's probably 20 or 30 sprites onscreen at once. Can't risk the flicker and slowdown.
IMG

BigusSchmuck

Finished it 100% under 5 hours. I guess I need a life. lol

xcrement5x

Wow!  It looks like this game is getting a physical release after all from Play-Asia!

$26 + ship, release is going to be in July of this year.

https://www.play-asia.com/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-multi-language/13/70b4g3?tagid=2797019

MisterCrash

That's great news. Looking forward to that.

Medic_wheat

TR0N

Quote from: guest on 04/25/2017, 01:32 PMWow!  It looks like this game is getting a physical release after all from Play-Asia!

$26 + ship, release is going to be in July of this year.

https://www.play-asia.com/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-multi-language/13/70b4g3?tagid=2797019
Great it's some thing arc system works is one that is publishing it.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esadajr

Thanks for the tip. Been a while since I ordered anything from them.
Gaming since 1985

PukeSter

Was quite surprised when I bought this. It's a really good remake. The graphics are incredible! Beat it in an a day but I'll have to try hard mode sometime.

I also like the little improvements like swapping magic on the triggers and store item descriptions. Also no more charmstone grinding and there are new secret challenge rooms

Only downside is I'm not a fan of the soundtrack arrangements at all

Michirin9801

Quote from: PukeSter on 06/03/2017, 12:12 AMOnly downside is I'm not a fan of the soundtrack arrangements at all
Can't wait for that mod that adds in the Dragon's Curse OST

Green Beret

How does it compare with the PC Engine version? Does PC Engine version run at 60/s?

Michirin9801

Quote from: Green Beret on 06/22/2017, 06:32 AMHow does it compare with the PC Engine version? Does PC Engine version run at 60/s?
Yes it does, and it also has the best soundtrack

Green Beret

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 06/22/2017, 02:08 PM
Quote from: Green Beret on 06/22/2017, 06:32 AMHow does it compare with the PC Engine version? Does PC Engine version run at 60/s?
Yes it does, and it also has the best soundtrack
Thanks,
I am going for the PC engine version. I have the game on Game Gear and plays ok, I have gone as far as the Pirate ship. Epic game

Michirin9801

So I just got this game on GOG, beat it in one night and well... IT WAS AMAZING! It's one of the best remakes I've ever played, way up there with the likes of Metroid Zero Mission and Super Mario Allstars!
I'd call it more than a remake, it replaces the original in my eyes!
The original, not Dragon's Curse... I still think Dragon's Curse has the better soundtrack, but I gotta give it credit where it's due, the music in this version is good, a lot better in-game than I thought it was outside of the game, but no, it's not gonna beat Dragon's Curse in that regard...
As for everything else, well, it's all better here! The graphics are GORGEOUS! If more modern games looked like this I'd have nothing to complain about (other than my tight budget) I generally prefer 16 bit 240p graphics, but let's be honest here, Dragon's Curse is far from the best-looking TurboGrafx-16 game, it looks good, as does the SMS original, but this one is a massive improvement in the graphics, no question about it!
And the controls, while they're virtually the same, they just feel so much better in here because of the bouncy and snappy animations! These new animations are AMAZING and they compliment the game's movement incredibly well, it just feels great to play!

I've played it using my SNES USB controller and it felt like a natural fit for it, I've mapped the L and R buttons to toggle my sub-weapon, A to Jump, B to Attack, (yes I prefer to use A and B instead of B and Y like most other people seem to) X to use the sub-weapon, Y to open my inventory (but later on I switched X and Y around because I didn't use sub-weapons very often and was accidentally wasting them while trying to open my inventory), Start to open the Pause Menu and Select to toggle between Retro and Modern modes, but I almost never switched back to the Retro mode, and even when I did it was only for a couple of seconds at a time at most, not only because I've already played through both the SMS and the TurboGrafx-16 versions multiple times so I already know them like the back of my hand and would rather replay it with the new graphics so that I can get a new experience, but also because the new graphics are just SO much better... Now if only I could play this with the new graphics and the TurboGrafx-16 music... Does anyone know if this game's been modded for that purpose yet? If not, I totally want to do it! But I have no idea how...

Green Beret

I bought the PC Engine version brand new for cheap but I may buy th Switch version too for grap n go plus excellent graphics

esteban

Wow, I think I will have to play this remake of Wonderboy III. It sounds intriguing. Lord knows I've played the SMS and TG-16 versions to death.

IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Green Beret

Quote from: esteban on 07/07/2017, 07:59 PMWow, I think I will have to play this remake of Wonderboy III. It sounds intriguing. Lord knows I've played the SMS and TG-16 versions to death.

IMG
=D>

Green Beret

Is there really a problem when playing the Japanese version of Adventure Island? I am referring to equipment. Do you need to occasionally change equipment and get messed up with the Japanese names? Or you are always wearing the highest stats gear which is simple enough?

Thanks

CrackTiger

Quote from: Green Beret on 07/31/2017, 08:56 AMIs there really a problem when playing the Japanese version of Adventure Island? I am referring to equipment. Do you need to occasionally change equipment and get messed up with the Japanese names? Or you are always wearing the highest stats gear which is simple enough?

Thanks
You'll need to know what a few key piecrs are, in order to progress. Particularly the sword which smashes certain blocks.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Green Beret

Quote from: CrackTiger on 07/31/2017, 11:31 AM
Quote from: Green Beret on 07/31/2017, 08:56 AMIs there really a problem when playing the Japanese version of Adventure Island? I am referring to equipment. Do you need to occasionally change equipment and get messed up with the Japanese names? Or you are always wearing the highest stats gear which is simple enough?

Thanks
You'll need to know what a few key piecrs are, in order to progress. Particularly the sword which smashes certain blocks.
I suppose I can test which sword smashes those blocks.

Michirin9801

Thanks
Knowing just Katakana is enough to help you with that, but if you don't know it just look at the numbers and icons and with a little bit of trial and error you'll be fine!
A little hint: The equipment in the right column are often the ones that have status effects like creating or breaking blocks or walking through lava undamaged, the ones in the left column never do...

Green Beret

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 07/31/2017, 06:45 PM

Thanks
Knowing just Katakana is enough to help you with that, but if you don't know it just look at the numbers and icons and with a little bit of trial and error you'll be fine!
A little hint: The equipment in the right column are often the ones that have status effects like creating or breaking blocks or walking through lava undamaged, the ones in the left column never do...
Thanks a lot I will follow your advice. I suppose I also need to buy everything from the shops too.