RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Possible to use the Turbo CD unit with IFU (also, IFU cap replacement)?

Started by chicgamer, 03/06/2017, 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicgamer

Does anyone know if you can use the CD unit from the Turbo CD with the PC-Engine IFU? The CD unit fits in the unit, but I don't know if it is interchangeable with the PC-Engine version.

Also, I looked in the mod/repair discussion forum, and I didn't see a thread for replacing the caps in an IFU. My guess is that I need to do that, as I'm having audio issues with the audio coming out of it (tried it with my CoreGrafx attached). Does anyone know where I can find this info?

Thanks!
Xbox Live: Nicki Croft * PSN: Nicki_Croft * Steam: chicgamer * YouTube: chicgamer01

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

chicgamer

Xbox Live: Nicki Croft * PSN: Nicki_Croft * Steam: chicgamer * YouTube: chicgamer01

gojira1954

CrackTiger

You can hook up a PAL TurboGrafx on its own or to a Turbo-CD, but it won't work properly.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Bloufo

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 03/07/2017, 01:44 PMIMG
Oh my goodness, I forgot about this lovely, tortured creature.

Why, Dr. Frankenstein? Why didn't you think of this poor creature's feelings before cobbling it together and giving it life?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

chicgamer

Ha ha, I don't think my setup will look quite that bad. Actually, I think the US CD-ROM looks nice next to the CoreGrafx. Maybe when I have the IFU apart to replace the caps, I'll paint it to match.

Speaking of which, thank you for the cap image, gojira!

Bloufo

Quote from: esteban on 03/07/2017, 04:58 PMOh my goodness, I forgot about this lovely, tortured creature.

Why, Dr. Frankenstein? Why didn't you think of this poor creature's feelings before cobbling it together and giving it life?
That's not so bad. At least it's "functional".

This is more like trying to Frankenstein stuff together.

/2vb3nro.jpg

:P

That photo always gives me a good chuckle. lol

Not my pic. I believe that was taken a few years ago by the late Blake Cheslock (Breetai/Firebomber7). God rest his soul.

esteban

Quote from: Bloufo on 03/08/2017, 12:12 PM
Quote from: esteban on 03/07/2017, 04:58 PMOh my goodness, I forgot about this lovely, tortured creature.

That's not so bad. At least it's "functional".

This is more like trying to Frankenstein stuff together.

/2vb3nro.jpg

:P

That photo always gives me a good chuckle. lol

Not my pic. I believe that was taken a few years ago by the late Blake Cheslock (Breetai/Firebomber7). God rest his soul.
Hahahhaha...you are right, IFU pic is awesome, too.

;)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/08/2017, 07:57 PMLet us not forget Keith Courage's TurboUno

IMG
Yeah, but that is *real* (HuCARD, at least).

Keith Courage

hah, I've since moved the region switch to the rear(black now) and put a hu card cover on it.

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

xcrement5x

Everytime I see the TurboUno again I just get super impressed at how awesome it looks. 
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

chicgamer

Anyone know how to resolve the issues I'm having with my IFU?

Joe Redifer

I love this. Can't get enough of it. I bet it's saying "Please shoot me!" I hope it's playing Magical Dinosaur Tour.

Quote from: Bloufo on 03/08/2017, 12:12 PM/2vb3nro.jpg
I wish someone would make IFU adapter cables. I'd buy a set. That way you could hook your US Turbo to your JP IFU and have it safely laying next to the IFU. Reversely, I'd like to see a cable to make JP stuff work with the US IFU. That way I could hook up a SuperGrafx to my Turbo CD. My RGB mod is in my US IFU, so that means I could play SuperGrafx games in RGB without molesting the actual SuperGrafx. It'd look stupid, but I wouldn't be staring at the mess of a console while playing.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/16/2017, 03:47 AM
I love this. Can't get enough of it. I bet it's saying "Please shoot me!" I hope it's playing Magical Dinosaur Tour.

Quote from: Bloufo on 03/08/2017, 12:12 PM/2vb3nro.jpg
I wish someone would make IFU adapter cables. I'd buy a set. That way you could hook your US Turbo to your JP IFU and have it safely laying next to the IFU. Reversely, I'd like to see a cable to make JP stuff work with the US IFU. That way I could hook up a SuperGrafx to my Turbo CD. My RGB mod is in my US IFU, so that means I could play SuperGrafx games in RGB without molesting the actual SuperGrafx. It'd look stupid, but I wouldn't be staring at the mess of a console while playing.
Just get an RAU-30 and shave off a bit of plastic.

Joe Redifer

That would work for hooking a SuperGrafx to my US CD-ROM? The RAU-30 doesn't pass power through does it?

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/16/2017, 09:49 PMThat would work for hooking a SuperGrafx to my US CD-ROM? The RAU-30 doesn't pass power through does it?
It doesn't for the SuperGrafx, but the same goes for any CD-ROM.

Keith Courage

Quote from: chicgamer on 03/13/2017, 12:24 PMAnyone know how to resolve the issues I'm having with my IFU?
That loud deep sounding audio hum is usually caused by using an AC adapter with too low of amperage. Might fix your everdrive issues as well if you get a better Power supply.

chicgamer

Quote from: Keith Courage on 03/17/2017, 07:36 AMThat loud deep sounding audio hum is usually caused by using an AC adapter with too low of amperage. Might fix your everdrive issues as well if you get a better Power supply.
Thanks for the response! I guess I'll try ordering one of these and hope that it works:

https://en.retrogamesupply.com/products/power-supply-for-nec-pc-engine-interface-unit

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guest on 03/16/2017, 11:02 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/16/2017, 09:49 PMThat would work for hooking a SuperGrafx to my US CD-ROM? The RAU-30 doesn't pass power through does it?
Well then we're back at square one. I'll ask Rene over at dbElectronics if I can pay him to build me a custom cable.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 03/17/2017, 04:41 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/16/2017, 11:02 PM
Well then we're back at square one. I'll ask Rene over at dbElectronics if I can pay him to build me a custom cable.
You could also just buy an RGB modded Tennokoe II from mickris and keep it on your SuperGrafx.

Bloufo

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: guest on 03/19/2017, 12:04 PM
Quote from: Bloufo on 03/19/2017, 11:02 AM/rcpphi.jpg
That's a good avatar for users without one.
This beast has never been photographed before, correct?

This my new favorite chimera (to steal Nulltard's succinct term).

Bloufo

Quote from: esteban on 03/19/2017, 01:50 PMThis beast has never been photographed before, correct?
Not sure. Probably not.

It's just a case of the shape of the expansion ports being different. Otherwise the pins do line up. But I guess no one had any interest in hacking away at some of the plastic to make it fit.