10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Switchless Mod: Why not for PCE/TG16

Started by Biritix, 06/07/2017, 08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biritix

Hello All,

I was wondering, switchless mods seem to be becoming prevalent on the SNES and with the Megadrive Plus Plus the option is now available for the Genesis.

However, for the TG16 and PCE the only options available are for region mods with switches. I was wondering why that is the case? Is it simply that the community is comfortable with the mods that exist - or is the prevalence of the TED made physically modding consoles largely irrelevant?

NecroPhile

People do switchless mods on Turbo Expresses wired to the Select button.  The way I understand it is that it can't be done on consoles because there's no direct connection to the Select (or any other) button; I don't know if it can't handle the cord length of a controller, if it's a function of how the controller port works, or if it's because it'd mess with a tap.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Eddiesamma

In theory it could be done with say a pic micro controller, or atmel chip like an at tiny or the like. Not an expert programmer or anything but you highjack reset button pins, and wire those to the i.o. of the micro controller as well as your high and low for the existing region mod of your choice. Holding reset would cycle the state as well as reset the console. You would defiantly have to get the timing right so it doesn't reset then toggle but could be doable.

Eddiesamma

Sorry, that is how they are achieved on snes/genesis. I meant to include that presumably it could be done with an address change from the controller port. Need a higher level tech mind to speak on this.

OldMan

QuoteNot an expert programmer or anything but you highjack reset button pins...
What reset button? It's all done in software on the pce.

Quote...presumably it could be done with an address change from the controller port.
Except you would have to read the controller. How would you do that if the code is for the wrong region?

Not saying it can't be done, just that it isn't going to be as easy as you think.

thesteve

the issue is there is no reset button, and without a system boot the controller isnt paged

mario_pic

Quote from: Biritix on 06/07/2017, 08:53 AMHello All,

I was wondering, switchless mods seem to be becoming prevalent on the SNES and with the Megadrive Plus Plus the option is now available for the Genesis.

However, for the TG16 and PCE the only options available are for region mods with switches. I was wondering why that is the case? Is it simply that the community is comfortable with the mods that exist - or is the prevalence of the TED made physically modding consoles largely irrelevant?
um last i checked snes had no region only tge top shell of the console stops u from useing diffrent region games

esteban

Quote from: mario_pic on 07/20/2017, 08:29 PM
Quote from: Biritix on 06/07/2017, 08:53 AMHello All,

um last i checked snes had no region only tge top shell of the console stops u from useing diffrent region games
To switch regions on SNES: Push and hold the shoulder buttons whilst pressing DOWN on dpad and  insert the cartridge.

To remove cart, hold shoulder buttons whilst pressing UP and remove cart.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ClodBusted

Quote from: mario_pic on 07/20/2017, 08:29 PMum last i checked snes had no region only tge top shell of the console stops u from useing diffrent region games
Dued, u bettre chekc agian. Aslo, tinkh of PAL sytsems.

thesteve

snes region lock is based on a code lock (much like the nes)
there are ways to bypass it but some games double check it

SignOfZeta

PAL gamers...what a sad bunch of bastards they must be.
IMG

wildfruit

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/20/2017, 06:41 PMPAL gamers...what a sad bunch of bastards they must be.
Imagine growing up playing sonic at 50hz and not knowing the difference until you're in your 20s. ;(

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/21/2017, 08:39 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/20/2017, 06:41 PMPAL gamers...what a sad bunch of bastards they must be.
Imagine growing up playing sonic at 50hz and not knowing the difference until you're in your 20s. ;(
That is crazy. Plus, the music. The music is different, correct? If only so slightly.... what a crazy situation.

wildfruit

Quote from: esteban on 08/21/2017, 09:10 AM
That is crazy. Plus, the music. The music is different, correct? If only so slightly.... what a crazy situation.
Well it's slower if that's what you mean. Or are you thinking of the different music in sonic CD?

esteban

Quote from: wildfruit on 08/21/2017, 09:16 AM
Quote from: esteban on 08/21/2017, 09:10 AM
Well it's slower if that's what you mean. Or are you thinking of the different music in sonic CD?
I was thinking of chiptunes/PSG/whatever being slower.

I was just thinking how I would feel learning that all the songs actually were intended to sound different.

See, I am way more flexible in one way (adjusting and adapting to a game running slower/faster)... but, for some reason, I consider the music more "sacrosanct" and would be torn...the music I grew up with would be nostalgic and bonafide and genuine.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but music is such an integral part of the experience (with many games, not all of them...)

:)

wildfruit

Quote from: esteban on 08/21/2017, 11:23 AMI know it sounds ridiculous, but music is such an integral part of the experience (with many games, not all of them...)

For a lot of stuff it's bearable. But not sonic.

deubeul

Growing up in PAL land was hell. That's surely one of the many reasons I so much loved the PC Engine, the semi-official french distribution being Japanese RGB modded consoles. It was unbearable for me to play PAL MD and Super Nintendo, and imported systems were really expensive.

SignOfZeta

I would have just stayed in the arcades until all that shit blew over...PS1 era, or whenever that was. Gameboy will do.
IMG

esteban

I just watched that video of Sonic...I think there are probably some songs (for some games, maybe not iconic games like Sonic) I would have preferred slow-PAL, whilst others are best left at original tempo.

It would be fun to see if a some songs actually improve.

Of course, I can only say this from the vantage point (privilege) of having experienced games at 60gigawatts...it's a novelty for me...I would be more bitter if slow-PAL was all I had.

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/21/2017, 03:47 PMI would have just stayed in the arcades until all that shit blew over...PS1 era, or whenever that was. Gameboy will do.
You are crazy.

Home consoles = absolutely essential.

I would have absolutely indulged in slow-PAL.

SignOfZeta

I don't know. Even at 60hz most arcade ports are garbage. I suppose I could have played Dragon Warrior just fine but if the NES version of Ikari Warriors is even more fucked up in Europe then I don't think it would've been playable for me.
IMG

esteban

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/22/2017, 09:25 AMI don't know. Even at 60hz most arcade ports are garbage. I suppose I could have played Dragon Warrior just fine but if the NES version of Ikari Warriors is even more fucked up in Europe then I don't think it would've been playable for me.
I played the heck out of NES Ikari Warriors and Athena...both games were pretty brutal and I don't know if they would be any worse at 50gigawatts  ;)

NichlasEk

Hey! If we your disscusing Sega/Snes. There where some pal adoptations. And they ran at full speed at 50Hz. Although whe had black borders. The resolution was actully higher and the quality more consistant from set to set. As PAL was a more defined standard.

Also by moding SNES/Megadrive today, we get PAL 60Hz wich is optimal, regarding resolution and speed. (If the tv acceps it)

CrackTiger

Quote from: deubeul on 08/21/2017, 03:20 PMGrowing up in PAL land was hell. That's surely one of the many reasons I so much loved the PC Engine, the semi-official french distribution being Japanese RGB modded consoles. It was unbearable for me to play PAL MD and Super Nintendo, and imported systems were really expensive.
So your TVs supprted 60Hz as well?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NichlasEk

Sure. I think a lot of PAL TVs do. I do like NTSC better now. But back in the day i would say PAL had its sharme. And PAL 60 is cool offcorse.

wildfruit

Quote from: guest on 08/22/2017, 01:54 PM
Quote from: deubeul on 08/21/2017, 03:20 PMGrowing up in PAL land was hell. That's surely one of the many reasons I so much loved the PC Engine, the semi-official french distribution being Japanese RGB modded consoles. It was unbearable for me to play PAL MD and Super Nintendo, and imported systems were really expensive.
So your TVs supprted 60Hz as well?
Certainly from mid/late 90s onwards. I had a crt that I had from about the age of 14 til it broke last year and it did 60hz. As does the replacement Panasonic crt that my aunt gave me that she had for a good while. Television is still broadcast in 50hz. Electricity is still 50hz.

nopepper

Quote from: esteban on 08/22/2017, 05:12 AMI just watched that video of Sonic...I think there are probably some songs (for some games, maybe not iconic games like Sonic) I would have preferred slow-PAL, whilst others are best left at original tempo.

It would be fun to see if a some songs actually improve.

Of course, I can only say this from the vantage point (privilege) of having experienced games at 60gigawatts...it's a novelty for me...I would be more bitter if slow-PAL was all I had.
Having spent years reading about how PAL butchered games but never actually seen or heard the difference until that video, I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how cool it was to hear Sonic at that slower tempo. I will not say it was better (it was still really good!), but it was definitely something that has piqued my interest to hear other games in slower tempos (as long as it's not anything by TechnoSoft, as that shit is perfect as it is).

But yes, I would have been screaming injustice if I would've grown up without the 60Hz choice, as I would've known it was the speed intended by the designers.

thesteve

well this thread sure ran off topic

esteban

Quote from: thesteve on 09/01/2017, 03:28 AMwell this thread sure ran off topic
At what point did we get distracted?