RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood [PC Engine CD] Patch RELEASE!!!

Started by Burnt Lasagna, 11/09/2011, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrackTiger

I suggested the PSP logo, in case it would need to be directly ported across in order to have a different sized and colored sprite.

If it is possible to use different sizes/quantity, with alternate palletes and positions and there is any room left in the RAM/CD load space, blah, blah, blah...

Here are some logos in 16 color (including the invisible color) PC Engine graphics:

IMG IMG
IMG

If anything like this is possible and you'd like to go with a variation of one of the single logos, I can put together a smaller version of the missing title. But I'll hold off on working on any more in the meantime. Or if the combo is doable and desirable, that would be very cool.

These logos are from the time Rondo of Blood was current and reflect what Konami was doing for in-game Westernized Castlevania titles at the time. They've been enhanced shading-wise over what straight ports would look like in PC Engine colors, while also using a few less colors overall, in order to bring them within single sprite palettes.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

arromdee

I'm generally of the belief that translations should just translate enough for the user to know what was said.  So I prefer the original audio with subtitles (though in this case I'd imagine hacking subtitles in would be hard).  For logos, assuming we translate them at all, translate them literally, so this should say some variation of "Dracula X: Rondo of Blood".

Or to put it another way, I want it to be as if I was sitting in Japan playing this in Japanese, except I shouldn't actually have to know Japanese.  Someone playing this in Japan would see Dracula X, not Castlevania.

dairugger

Quote from: arromdee on 12/20/2011, 09:29 PMI'm generally of the belief that translations should just translate enough for the user to know what was said.  So I prefer the original audio with subtitles (though in this case I'd imagine hacking subtitles in would be hard).  For logos, assuming we translate them at all, translate them literally, so this should say some variation of "Dracula X: Rondo of Blood".

Or to put it another way, I want it to be as if I was sitting in Japan playing this in Japanese, except I shouldn't actually have to know Japanese.  Someone playing this in Japan would see Dracula X, not Castlevania.
This. although i actually like dubs.

ParanoiaDragon

As cheesy as it is, I'm so used to the name, that I would personally prefer Castlevania as the main name.  It's kinda like how cheesy Superman, Wonder Woman, Power Man, Ant Man, etc. are, but I'm so used to those names, that they don't sound cheesy.  If they were to be created now, yeah, Superman is gonna sound extra cheese, but growing up with it(not that I'm a fan, he's too much of a boy scout) I'm totally used to the name.
IMG

dairugger

while i love the castlevania series, Dracula X is so badass. As a kid looking through import mags this title screen was classy, atmospheric, and awesome!

nat

I like the first variation CrackTiger posted. It's perfect, IMO.

Quote from: arromdee on 12/20/2011, 09:29 PMOr to put it another way, I want it to be as if I was sitting in Japan playing this in Japanese, except I shouldn't actually have to know Japanese.  Someone playing this in Japan would see Dracula X, not Castlevania.
I don't quite understand the preoccupation with keeping everything super-Japanese.

Both the official U.S. releases of this game (Wii Virtual Console and Playstation Portable) are titled "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood." It makes little sense (to me) to title the translation something different.

dairugger

Quote from: nat on 12/21/2011, 12:25 AMI like the first variation CrackTiger posted. It's perfect, IMO.

Quote from: arromdee on 12/20/2011, 09:29 PMOr to put it another way, I want it to be as if I was sitting in Japan playing this in Japanese, except I shouldn't actually have to know Japanese.  Someone playing this in Japan would see Dracula X, not Castlevania.
I don't quite understand the preoccupation with keeping everything super-Japanese.

Both the official U.S. releases of this game (Wii Virtual Console and Playstation Portable) are titled "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood." It makes little sense (to me) to title the translation something different.
propably because the game has and is known as Dracula X, not Castlevania X or any other variant.

esteban

I personally like the imagery on the title screen and I think it is a shame that it is significantly obfuscated by an oversized logo/title.

I propose NO TITLE (or, a super minimal title, perhaps text-only, located on periphery of screen).

I am serious.

Otherwise, if folks insist on slapping a title in the middle of the screen, I propose we simply have the iconic "X"—alone, all by itself. "Rondo of Blood" (simple, small text) can be discreetly located on the screen, too, if desired.

You know this is the most tasteful manner to handle the title  screen.

Seriously.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Burnt Lasagna

Guys, keep in mind I don't even know how to edit the title screen.

But if it where to happen it would need to be remade, think the style and font and exacted layout of the original...only in English.

And it would have to keep the name Castlevania: Rondo of Blood since....
Quote from: nat on 12/21/2011, 12:25 AMBoth the official U.S. releases of this game (Wii Virtual Console and Playstation Portable) are titled "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood." It makes little sense (to me) to title the translation something different.
But again, the title screen in English my never happen.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 12/21/2011, 12:25 AMI like the first variation Black Tiger posted. It's perfect, IMO.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood would be the proper English name, or a variant like Nocturne/Symphony. Maybe "Castlevania: Bloody Sonata" or something. Calling the game Dracula X is the equivalent of calling it "Vania 10".

But Konami placed a huge value on EGM at the time and titled the SNES version after EGM's name for the PC Engine version and even went so far as to use the PC Engine cover art and name drop the "PC Engine" on the box, which was pretty much unheard of back then.

If EGM hadn't called the game "Dracula X", Westerners would be calling it Rondo of Blood to this day.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

FraGMarE

Personally, I vote for the title screen showing what Konami *WOULD* have titled the game in the U.S... i.e., 'Castlevania X - Rondo Of Blood' or something similar.  That's just me.  After all, the only reason we call it Dracula X is because the series is known as Akumajou in Japan.  Here, in the US, it's known as Castlevania... so why not call it what's supposed to be called here?

CrackTiger

Quote from: fragmare on 12/21/2011, 02:21 PMPersonally, I vote for the title screen showing what Konami *WOULD* have titled the game in the U.S... i.e., 'Castlevania X - Rondo Of Blood' or something similar.  That's just me.  After all, the only reason we call it Dracula X is because the series is known as Akumajou in Japan.  Here, in the US, it's known as Castlevania... so why not call it what's supposed to be called here?
Konami basically did bring it over here bitd, when they presented the SNES version as being the same game and they titled it "Castlevania: Dracula X".

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 12/21/2011, 03:07 PMKonami basically did bring it over here bitd, when they presented the SNES version as being the same game and they titled it "Castlevania: Dracula X".
The official name for the game in English is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood because that's what Konami called it in 2007 for the PSP port, also that's what it was called for the VC port in 2010 . The PSP/VC ports are also complete ports of the game, not some weird half port like the SNES version.

Case closed.

FraGMarE

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/21/2011, 03:18 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/21/2011, 03:07 PMKonami basically did bring it over here bitd, when they presented the SNES version as being the same game and they titled it "Castlevania: Dracula X".
The official name for the game in English is Castlevania: Rondo of Blood because thatÂ’s what Konami called it in 2007 for the PSP port, also thatÂ’s what it was called for the VC port in 2010 . The PSP/VC ports are also complete ports of the game, not some weird half port like the SNES version.

Case closed.
Amen, trust the Konami!  :)

FraGMarE

I made a little concept title screen with a subtitle I cooked up.  What do you guys think?

fragmare.mindrec.com/dracx_new_title01.gif

NecroPhile

Not bad at all, though the dripping blood font is a bit much and 'of' shouldn't be capitalized.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MotherGunner

I think in order for it to have better uniformity with the PCE version, it should be

"Castlevania" Logo in Red, and "Rondo of Blood" in white old English over the same purple background blade.  Basically the same as below except with the stated changes.

IMG
-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: fragmare on 12/21/2011, 05:03 PMI made a little concept title screen with a subtitle I cooked up.  What do you guys think?

fragmare.mindrec.com/dracx_new_title01.gif
This looks pretty good! =D>

I can definitely see this as the games title, maybe with some minor adjustments (Like NecroPhile said the o in "of" shouldn't be capitalized). It also might look good with the frame around Castlevania removed.

FraGMarE

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/21/2011, 05:42 PMI can definitely see this as the games title, maybe with some minor adjustments (Like NecroPhile said the o in "of" shouldn't be capitalized). It also might look good with the frame around Castlevania removed.
More like this?

fragmare.mindrec.com/dracx_new_title01b.gif

Mishran

Quote from: fragmare on 12/21/2011, 06:35 PM
Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/21/2011, 05:42 PMI can definitely see this as the games title, maybe with some minor adjustments (Like NecroPhile said the o in "of" shouldn't be capitalized). It also might look good with the frame around Castlevania removed.
More like this?

fragmare.mindrec.com/dracx_new_title01b.gif
That looks good to me...

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: fragmare on 12/21/2011, 06:35 PMfragmare.mindrec.com/dracx_new_title01b.gif
This looks great...just don't know/haven't figured out how to insert this into the game itself, seeing this really makes me wish I knew! ](*,)

Of course there's always the chance that this would be to big, but I really can't say.

FraGMarE

I'm not sure what kind of RAM/VRAM constraints the title screen is under, but i can tell you the 'Castlevania' logo and the 'Rondo of Blood' subtitle both fit nicely into a 16-color, 176x128 sprite block.  That totals up to 11,284 bytes of data in RAM/VRAM.  Not much at all, really.  In contrast, the original title logo looks like it's 256x80, which comes out to 10,284 bytes in RAM/VRAM.  So the new logo would literally only be 1000 bytes more in RAM/VRAM... hmm.

Djangoo2

That title screen ain't bad at all. Fitting all the data back into the game probably wouldn't be an issue, but I guess there are what you'd call tile limitations in how many unique 8x8 tiles the game can use at a time.

FraGMarE

Quote from: Djangoo2 on 12/22/2011, 01:05 AMThat title screen ain't bad at all. Fitting all the data back into the game probably wouldn't be an issue, but I guess there are what you'd call tile limitations in how many unique 8x8 tiles the game can use at a time.
Yea, I didn't change any tiles though.  Just the title logo (which is a sprite).

incrediblehark

thats a very nice looking castlevania logo, fits well with the game. We're gonna need these factory pressed with full manuals and inserts! :D

esteban

FraGMarE

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/21/2011, 09:04 PMThis looks great...just don't know/haven't figured out how to insert this into the game itself, seeing this really makes me wish I knew! ](*,)
Of course there's always the chance that this would be to big, but I really can't say. 
I have a feeling this wouldn't be too hard for somebody with some PCE ROM hacking experience.  I'd suggest asking somebody like Tomaitheous or DShadoff for some tips.  It would likely involve locating the original logo sprite, replacing it without screwing up data offsets, and then replacing the palette for said sprite.  Replacing graphic data really isn't all that different from replacing audio data (which you're already doing), so you're already ahead of the game, in that regard.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: esteban on 12/22/2011, 02:06 AMIMG
Wait...honda of blood?
IMG

Quote from: fragmare on 12/22/2011, 05:59 AMI have a feeling this wouldn't be too hard for somebody with some PCE ROM hacking experience.  I'd suggest asking somebody like Tomaitheous or DShadoff for some tips.
I'll try and shoot DShadoff and or Tomaitheous an Email.
Knowing how to change the title screen my also point me in the right direction for changing the text for the boat rower (which I'm also having trouble with).

burn_654

What kind of compression did the graphics use? I'm just curious. Looking into some PC-Engine hacking :)

I find it hard to believe all of it's been uncompressed so far but you never know.
Quote from: RegalSinYou know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

NecroPhile

Honda of Blood!  :lol:

Is that the sequel to Prince of Peugeot? -

IMG
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: burn_654 on 12/22/2011, 12:57 PMI find it hard to believe all of it's been uncompressed so far but you never know.
It has been, the title screen and a few other things are an exception.

FraGMarE

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/22/2011, 04:10 PM
Quote from: burn_654 on 12/22/2011, 12:57 PMI find it hard to believe all of it's been uncompressed so far but you never know.
It has been, the title screen and a few other things are an exception.
I guess they probably compressed the title screen because either the opening or the pre-game cut scene are lumped in with title screen without loading from the CD.  Either way, compression or not, there are ways to skin that cat.

Here's the title logo sprite, if you want to mess around with it.

fragmare.mindrec.com/dracxtm2f.png

esteban

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/22/2011, 09:31 AM
Quote from: esteban on 12/22/2011, 02:06 AMIMG
Wait...honda of blood?
IMG
;)  I was worried that nobody would notice.

Quote from: guest on 12/22/2011, 01:18 PMHonda of Blood!   :lol:

Is that the sequel to Prince of Peugeot? -

IMG
Exactly!!! ;)

Keith Courage

why not just release the patch with the original title screen for those of us who like that one more. Especially since it doesn't require anymore work.

FraGMarE

Here's a little mockup approximating what it would look like on a real CRT TV...  :)

fragmare.mindrec.com/dracx_new_title_tv.png

munchiaz

Burnt Lasagna

*update*
Okay guys.

I've run into some road blocks with the translation. I can't find the text for the ferryman nor the the sign in stage 1, I also can't find the text that's on the billboard in stage X. These are the only things I'm missing inorder to make this a complete translation patch aside from the title screen, but that would be extra icing on the cake and is the least of my worries at the moment.

I've been considering asking for help on romhacking.net but before I do does anyone here have any idea/clues that might point me in the right direction?
It be a shame to bring the patch this fare only to stop at 95% because of something as little as this.

Burnt Lasagna

Also, does anyone have an idea what these are? I found it when I was editing all the title cards, it looks like it belongs to stageX (I don't think ever shows up though). I also can't read Japanese so does anyone know what it says?

IMG
IMG

BlueBMW

just a quick translate came up with this lol:

"God gave you an example from Chika"

It was suggested that maybe it should have been:

"God gave the power of example"
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Burnt Lasagna

"from Chika"?

I Googled that and according to Wikipedia it's Japanese name that means 'God is supreme'.
...still doesn't make any sense though.
EDIT:
Quote from: BlueBMW on 12/23/2011, 10:55 AMIt was suggested that maybe it should have been:

"God gave the power of example"
That makes a little bit more sense.

spenoza

"Kami yo chikara wo atae tamae"

I had to do some reading, but I now know what this means. Yo is a vocative particle, mostly used in more archaic language, kami is god, chikara is power, and atae tamae means something along the lines of dedicate or pledge, and it seems like there might be an assumption that you are pledging to those you care about. So this is "God, I (assumed) pledge this/my (assumed via particle wo) power," where the dedication of said power MIGHT be to God, but also might be to those the speaker cares about. It might be a pledge before God, in a sense, rather than to.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/23/2011, 10:50 AMAlso, does anyone have an idea what these are? I found it when I was editing all the title cards, it looks like it belongs to stageX (I don't think ever shows up though). I also can't read Japanese so does anyone know what it says?
I believe that Chris Covell(?) once posted a translation of the text in Stage X.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: guest on 12/23/2011, 08:49 PMI believe that Chris Covell(?) once posted a translation of the text in Stage X.
Does he have this text in his translation? Where is this translation exactly?

spenoza

I think you'd be pretty well off with "Before God, I dedicate my power!" or something along those lines.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/24/2011, 11:30 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 12/23/2011, 08:49 PMI believe that Chris Covell(?) once posted a translation of the text in Stage X.
It came up in a thread on Pcenginefx. I remember something humorous.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 12/24/2011, 07:24 PM
Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 12/24/2011, 11:30 AM
Quote from: guest on 12/23/2011, 08:49 PMI believe that Chris Covell(?) once posted a translation of the text in Stage X.
It came up in a thread on Pcenginefx. I remember something humorous.
Quote from: guest on 12/24/2011, 05:34 PMI think you'd be pretty well off with "Before God, I dedicate my power!" or something along those lines.
Indeed, but a more literal translation was closer to "Before my God, my Liege, I do prostrate myself and lay fallow."

The Japanese team was going for a very medieval flavor, possibly pulling text from medieval Germanic sources.

spenoza

Literal translation, or transliteration, sucks. I don't like it when people take too many liberties with translations, but I've started to realize that sticking way too closely to the original in form and flow can cause readability problems.

SamIAm

"God! Give me power!"

...is an accurate and economical translation of that. It's not awkward or funny or anything. It's pretty much what you'd expect someone in a Japanese game/anime to say right before they power up for some big fight. Taking it a step towards sounding more poetic might turn it into "O Lord, grant me strength!" or something.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: SamIAm on 12/27/2011, 11:08 AM"God! Give me power!"

...is an accurate and economical translation of that. It's not awkward or funny or anything. It's pretty much what you'd expect someone in a Japanese game/anime to say right before they power up for some big fight. Taking it a step towards sounding more poetic might turn it into "O Lord, grant me strength!" or something.
This sounds exactly like the level names for stage 2.

The stage name for Richter is...
"God, Grant Me Strength"

While Maria's is...
""O Lord, Give Me Strength"

Keith Courage

Any updates on this amazing freaking awesome dracula x project?