10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Valis III: How the hell do I get through this part?

Started by termis, 02/03/2008, 11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

termis

I can't make this jump.  Is there some trick or what?

And I can't recall having this a tough time on the Genesis version, as I beat that pretty easily years and years ago.  I know each version has a level unique to its own, is this the PCE's unique level? 

IMG

PCEngineHell

You have to freeze the enemies and make alot of skilled leaps. I never passed it I don't think. Thats part of the reason why I enjoyed the Genesis version more. Its more playable.

termis

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 02/03/2008, 11:28 PMYou have to freeze the enemies and make alot of skilled leaps.
Sunnovabitch!  Those tricksters. 

Yeah, I definitely don't recall having to do such things in the Genesis version.

nat

Hahaha, as soon as I saw the subject I knew without reading or seeing the screenshot what this was about.

To this day I've never passed that part, either. To be fair though I haven't given it a huge amount of play time-- I got extremely discouraged when I couldn't do it after a few tries, although I know what needs to be done. It's those fucking archers. When they hit you, which is almost inevitable, you do a backflip off the platform supporting you into Game Over territory.

PCEngineHell

Yea I think there is a bell you have to hit too or something at the end. The last time I made it there on Turbo cd was back in 96.

runinruder

I love that level.  It's hard as hell. 

Quote from: termis on 02/03/2008, 11:19 PMI know each version has a level unique to its own, is this the PCE's unique level? 
I've played through only the PCE version, but when I did some reading on the Genesis one, it sounded like it lacked more than just one of the PCE game's stages.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

The Genesis version has 8 MEGA POWER so there is no way that it could possibly be lacking in ANY area.  It has 20 times as many levels as the Turbo version.

TurboXray

I remember the Bell being more of a pain in the ass than the jumping part, but after that it's pretty easy. Anyway, I don't remember it being a *huge* pain in the ass back in the day. It's been a while but I think in the Genesis version when you get hit, you roll in place and in the PCE version you get knocked back with the "roll".

Keranu

If there is one spot in a video game that people need help at the most in this forum, it's that level right there in Valis III! Once I realized you had to freeze the enemies, I didn't think the level was that hard. I got stuck in another level later on in the game.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Joe Redifer

Somebody needs to make a Youtube tutorial for this part and then it can be stickied at the top of the forum.

termis

Holy fucking hell.  ](*,)  That damn level took like 3 hours of my life, but I finally passed it.  Thank goodness this game has a save feature.

First of all, the magician chick is the one you wanna use.  Her weapon distance's, and her slow ice-spell which freezes multiple enemies is key in getting across that damn part above.

As for the bell part in the end, that was a pain too, but I found one thing.  The enemies that appear alternates between the knights and the water-monster thingies that jump out from the bottom, but there will never be more than 3 enemy sprites at one time.  What you want to try to do is make all three of them the water monster, and DON'T kill them.  No more knights will appear, and it's much easier to dodge the water monsters.  It's even better if you can freeze them with Vernal's ice magic and use them as a stepping stone to pummel away at the bell.  However, when I beat this portion of the stage, I died after getting here and lost all my powers, but with the tactics above, I was able to get past this point while my character was at her weakest.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: nat on 02/03/2008, 11:36 PMHahaha, as soon as I saw the subject I knew without reading or seeing the screenshot what this was about.
Me too.  Man it's a son of a bastage part of a level.  And, yeah, this level is not in the Genesis version.  You pass by this part, & go straight to the bell in the Genny version.  Also, offhand I recall that the mountain level, & the waterfall level(maybe) are also missing from the Genny version.  I believe in the Gen version, Stage 2 starts in the forest.
IMG

Ceti Alpha

Hmmm....this makes me want to get Valis III. Graphically it looks much better than Valis II. What about the music? Is the music as stellar as VII?
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Joe Redifer

Goodness no.  Title screen music is nice, though.

esteban

You guys are wimps (except for Runin!) !!!

This is the stage that separates the JJ's from the Jeff's.

Yes, back in the day, when I first played this game, I was stumped for a long time before I figured out what was necessary. BUT, that moment when I figured out what to do was awesome, because there was so much satisfaction in solving the puzzle.

Even better: once you figure out the strategy, you still have to master the platforming gymnastics. Perfect.

Personally, the Valis series would have benefited from more platforming sequences like this (I also think a bit of exploration would have been nice, too).

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/05/2008, 05:10 PMHmmm....this makes me want to get Valis III. Graphically it looks much better than Valis II. What about the music? Is the music as stellar as VII?
Personally, the music in Valis III sucks compared to Valis II. But, keep in mind, I am hopelessly in love with Valis 2's soundtrack.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/05/2008, 02:06 AM
Quote from: nat on 02/03/2008, 11:36 PMHahaha, as soon as I saw the subject I knew without reading or seeing the screenshot what this was about.
Me too.  Man it's a son of a bastage part of a level.  And, yeah, this level is not in the Genesis version.  You pass by this part, & go straight to the bell in the Genny version.  Also, offhand I recall that the mountain level, & the waterfall level(maybe) are also missing from the Genny version.  I believe in the Gen version, Stage 2 starts in the forest.
Really? That was the level I always remembered most from the Genesis version. I guess its been too long since I played through it. :-k
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

runinruder

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/05/2008, 05:10 PMHmmm....this makes me want to get Valis III. Graphically it looks much better than Valis II. What about the music? Is the music as stellar as VII?
Valis III is the best game in the series and is a much, much better overall game than II.

Its music isn't as good, but very few soundtracks come close to II's.  III still has the second-best soundtrack in the series, and some of its tunes are excellent (like the desert stage track).
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: guest on 02/05/2008, 08:35 PM
Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 02/05/2008, 02:06 AM
Really? That was the level I always remembered most from the Genesis version. I guess its been too long since I played through it. :-k
Yup, just tried it.  The 2nd level starts at the forest, & the 3rd starts at the bell.
IMG